Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

My personal favorite thing I've noticed (but haven't been able to verify) is the enemy respawn when another person enters an area. Just spent ten minutes clearing out that mine shaft? Whoops, someone new showed up and everything spawned again and is making a beeline for you, because you still have some sort of aggro/you're standing on a spawn point/who even knows. It's annoying, and if it works the way it seems to, it's absolutely a thing they hosed up in translating to multiplayer.

This fun effect turns White Springs, already a weird area with too many robot spawns, into a hellhole that feels like it was designed by a 13-year old modder who thought more spawns = funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Kinda annoyed that the Brotherhood of Steel in 4 treats you like a merc and you can't go "I'm actually Queen Bitch General of the local army, and we've got artillery trained on you. Let me talk with your leader"

They'd probably just laugh in your face after realizing that you're the retard that the local hicks conned into running their errands and building their toilets.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This fun effect turns White Springs, already a weird area with too many robot spawns, into a hellhole that feels like it was designed by a 13-year old modder who thought more spawns = funnier

People love Whitesprings for that. Is actually a popular area for farming and for droping nukes, because you get hordes of level 68 big fat radiactive ghouls.

I am level 111, have played more than 100 hours, and i think I have enough of this game. Has been fun, but I want to do something else.

Playing BFV make me angry because the game force to me to play infantry, and I don't want to play infantry. RDR2 is a interesting game, but I don't want to hurt people, and most story missions involve killing many people, sometimes accidentally, but innocent people still end dead.
I am not in the mood of Planetside 2 or Warframe at the moment.

Tried to get into Fallout4, but I just don't get the dialog rose. When you choose a option, your character say something different to what is in the rose. Is very confusing.

Tei fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 2, 2018

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

There's mods for the dialogue thing, cmon

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

HATE NEWSPAPERS

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FAKE NEWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCs1objTEkU

Tei fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 2, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

drkeiscool posted:

my hot take, since others have said things like this: just because the game is trash doesn't mean that you are trash, and you shouldn't feel bad. if you like a poorly made game, it just means you can see the good things in it, or the potential it has. one of my favorite game is homefront the revolution, and on a critical level that game is hot trash. i enjoy the good things in it, even though i knew very few other can (and for good reason). don't feel bad for enjoying the things you do, unless that thing is murdering hookers or something

It is fine to enjoy bad games/movies/music. There is nothing wrong with it. Just don't try to defend it as objectively good. Embrace the bad-but-enjoyable.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

The beginning of the game has your character sleeping in late and missing their going away party. Balloons and confetti but not a single living human. That tone is the entire game. Just you wandering upon other dead people's leftovers. Even most holo tapes are just last wills and speeches before gunfire.

Doesn't help that per those logs most of these people have been dead several years, but the corpses are still fresh like they died a couple days ago thanks to Bethesda not bothering with more than a gray tinted over the existing skins on the models.

What's really bugging me right now is that I've found several different series of holotapes about same sex relationships... and every last one of them ends in the characters being brutally murdered. It's getting creepy.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 2, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh, and double posting for a realization I had last night while a Scorchbeast spent two straight minutes spamming its breath attack at me:

The Scorched are straight up the Darkspawn from Dragon Age. Monsters caused by mining too greedily, too deep; the substance that creates them is the thing that can make weapons to hurt them most; they spread their taint to everything they come into contact with, making more of them.

Just sayin', I wouldn't be surprised if Liam Neeson was telling me to master my taint.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's not a scorchbeast, it's a fart bat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

"RPG" of the year

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 2, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

[Intelligence 9] Those dialogue options are almost all the same.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You can't fix Bethesda

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mantis42 posted:

[Intelligence 9] Those dialogue options are almost all the same.

[Intelligence 1] you loving kill joy

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If a game is good, I don't mind if the dialog options are all the same effect but read different. RPG games are also role play games, and If I can roleplay my character I am happy. Of course if the dialog lines are meaningful and result on different results, thats better. But if they let my character talk how I want him to talk, thats a first good step.

But Fallout 4 is confusing because you don't know what you are going to say, so you end saying something different to what you wanted to say.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It was so disappointing that the Piper intro sequence seems like a completely different and much better game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nichael posted:

It was so disappointing that the Piper intro sequence seems like a completely different and much better game.

She's basically the only character in the game that uses their arms. She also calls you blue even if you throw away the vault jumpsuit soon as you get out of the vault.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

She's basically the only character in the game that uses their arms. She also calls you blue even if you throw away the vault jumpsuit soon as you get out of the vault.
It's not just the animations though. She has actual character writing to start, and then they just kind of stop putting effort into her. The game would've been a lot better with a much tighter focus on Valentine, Piper, and maybe Hancock too.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I can just imagine that there was one day where somebody went into the office and said "y'know maybe we outta try out this whole 'animation' thing everyone else is doing?" and a few hours later todd fired him

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I always just used dogmeat. I like valentine the most but I don't really want to have a buddy at all in a fps game and the dog was closest to being alone without feeling like I was just underutilizing mechanics.

I always played NV solo too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Agent355 posted:

I always just used dogmeat. I like valentine the most but I don't really want to have a buddy at all in a fps game and the dog was closest to being alone without feeling like I was just underutilizing mechanics.

I always played NV solo too.

same, the companions always feel a little cumbersome and stupid. yes, boone, we are here to shoot every single legion in the face. no, boone, you don't have 500 instant-use stimpaks don't just run into the middle of the camp and

gently caress

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I keep using mods so i can have all of them follow me at once, then turn myself into a field officer leading a platoon into combat. I haven't shot anyone in weeks, but I wish Strong would just shut the hell up one in a while.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The White Dragon posted:

[Intelligence 1] you loving kill joy

Wub wub!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Absolutely none of the 3D Fallout games have companions that are implemented well mechanics-wise. Obviously the ones with the most effort put into them are in New Vegas.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nichael posted:

It's not just the animations though. She has actual character writing to start, and then they just kind of stop putting effort into her. The game would've been a lot better with a much tighter focus on Valentine, Piper, and maybe Hancock too.

Hancock was such a waste of an absolutely killer character design and voice actor.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Liquid Communism posted:

Hancock was such a waste of an absolutely killer character design and voice actor.

The dude should have been the one to kill McDonough. Having it explained afterwards, especially if he wasn't even there when it happened, cheapens the reveal so much.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

Someone mentioned Borderlands a little while ago, and it got me thinking. On paper, Borderlands and Fallout 76 should be pretty similar. You (and optionally your friends) venture out into a husk of a world full of nightmarish creatures and blow poo poo up. Borderlands only had a small smattering of NPCs (the enemy psychos aren't much different from the scorched, ghouls and supermutants in gameplay terms), and they didn't do much; they weren't very different from the town bulletin boards. Quite often your interaction with NPCs was limited to just audio transmissions from a tape recorder you picked up on the ground. Most of the quests were "Read note/listen to recording, go here, kill X number of Y enemies, collect doohickey, return for reward."

I know there's a lot different between the two games (especially gameplay- one's fun, the other is most charitably described as rough), but I think one of the biggest differences is the tone. In Borderlands, the planet is dying. In Fallout, it's already dead. It doesn't matter what you do, the party's already over.

Claptrap, a robot that gives you missions, had more personality than any character in f3 or f4

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I only used Valentine because I love detectives in games even if they barely did anything with it, plus it does help that I have tonnes of respect to his voice actor Stephen Russell. I still had fun with fallout 4 buts that's because I bought it a month ago for like $20 and got all the dlc.

Far Harbour was really fun besides the no ending. Hope they do mod 76's map into fallout 4, I wanna shoot me some mothmen.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

As Nero Danced posted:

Someone mentioned Borderlands a little while ago, and it got me thinking. On paper, Borderlands and Fallout 76 should be pretty similar. You (and optionally your friends) venture out into a husk of a world full of nightmarish creatures and blow poo poo up. Borderlands only had a small smattering of NPCs (the enemy psychos aren't much different from the scorched, ghouls and supermutants in gameplay terms), and they didn't do much; they weren't very different from the town bulletin boards. Quite often your interaction with NPCs was limited to just audio transmissions from a tape recorder you picked up on the ground. Most of the quests were "Read note/listen to recording, go here, kill X number of Y enemies, collect doohickey, return for reward."

I know there's a lot different between the two games (especially gameplay- one's fun, the other is most charitably described as rough), but I think one of the biggest differences is the tone. In Borderlands, the planet is dying. In Fallout, it's already dead. It doesn't matter what you do, the party's already over.

Borderlands had a few things going for it. Most importantly, it was really the only coop looter shooter out there at release, which helped people overlook the fact that it's quite bad as a game. It's built on Unreal, which is actually a good engine. While the shooting mechanics are trash, they beat the pants off Fallout. The setting is unserious, fitting the nature of co-op. The linear nature of the game means that you don't have to gently caress around figuring out what you can do together, but instead you just go out and shoot stuff. Where Bethesda's sole talent is designing areas that are fun to explore (something largely irrelevant and generally made worse by multiplayer), the team behind Borderlands actually had some understanding of how to design a straight up shooter map.There are a lot more things, but I think those are the most important ones.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Borderlands is a game that is dependent on cheat engine to essentially break down the fun barrier that keeps you in a constant grind with an RNG that will 9.5 times out of 10 give you nothing but garbage weapons with several hundred randomized pieces, elements and manufacturers. Bethesda took at look at this franchise and decided that it should make all guns tasteless, but now with the legendary randomizer on top because gently caress you, you're getting another poison junk pistol.

Any other difference between the games just depends on what you find more annoying; an over reliance on humor that can range anywhere between Claptrap and Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt, or a shallow joke of an RPG that would rather you waste 100 hours building up junk towns than bothering with its activities or story.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You know the funniest complaint to me is when a post-apocalyptic wasteland feels "dead" and it's a bad thing.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

In this particular context, what people mean by "dead" is that it's devoid of content to meaningfully engage with. In particular objects or entities you can interact with in ways other than painstakingly shooting at them for five solid minutes while they jiggle and clip through the floor. It has nothing to do with the in-universe dead-to-living human ratio. I'm guessing you already knew that though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Poor pip boy, dead on arrival.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Lol look at these fools who didnt expect this post apocyptic game to be completely empty of everything but bugs. Realism much you fools

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Loops posted:

It has nothing to do with the in-universe dead-to-living human ratio. I'm guessing you already knew that though.

I mean, it does. FO76 teases you constantly with the hope of finding other people before revealing that they're all dead, every single one of them, many of them apparently very briefly before you arrived no matter when you arrive. The multiplayer and obfuscated systems run counter to any hope of setting up "Where did everyone go? Is anyone left?" as mysteries because other players and third-party external resources will immediately spoil that for you.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
There comes a point where you stop caring because everyone is dead. Like oh no i better rush to help that... You know what gently caress it it wont matter. Nothing i do here matters.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Powershift posted:

Vault Boy is the new Sonic the Hedgehog

Maybe Fallout Mania will save the franchise some day. Two little-known indie game designers, Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer, will work on a fan project and they'll get discovered by Bethesda and hired to make a full game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

In both regular and script extender required versions!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

There comes a point where you stop caring because everyone is dead. Like oh no i better rush to help that... You know what gently caress it it wont matter. Nothing i do here matters.

Yeah. Once you realize literally everyone is dead except other players who can obviously take care of themselves, there's no narrative urgency to do anything. Who cares about stopping the threat that could wipe out humanity when it already has?

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Loops posted:

In this particular context, what people mean by "dead" is that it's devoid of content to meaningfully engage with. In particular objects or entities you can interact with in ways other than painstakingly shooting at them for five solid minutes while they jiggle and clip through the floor. It has nothing to do with the in-universe dead-to-living human ratio. I'm guessing you already knew that though.

Yep. The game is like a dead body. It can't react to the player outside of basic reflexes and the only interesting way to interact with it is to cut it open and find out why it died.

The lack of NPCs suggests the victim was strangled and there's no good writing anywhere, meaning they didn't fight back. Interesting, there's bugs everywhere too, the killer was in a hurry. And this is weird, it's box says it's a newly released sequel but it appears at least 3 years old and it's DNA suggests it's Fallout 4's brother, maybe even fraternal twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pip Boy Gay, So What