Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Looks like it's just download

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-17572

So 600/20 and 300/15

100% a saturation mitigation measure with the bonus effect of free marketing about how benevolent our oligopoly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Who comes up with this poo poo

DOCSIS has fewer upstream channels and so considerably less bandwidth available for upload.

They used to offer 1000/50 but then cut it back to 30 because hey, who's gonna stop them?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

About fuckin time.

It took almost 20 minutes to download AC: Odyssey the other night, which is complete bullshit. Who's got that kind of time to wait around?

You're not wrong but as a kid who grew up with 56k modems I want to shake my cane at you so hard

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

8ender posted:

You're not wrong but as a kid who grew up with 56k modems I want to shake my cane at you so hard

2400baud gettin 800K Amiga floppies in about an hour as long as my stupid sister doesn’t pick up the phone!!!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We could only get 28.8kbps where I was, but the next town got 36.6 or something like that? I remember when I got NHL 2003 for my birthday, needed new video drivers for it to work. 16 loving megabytes. 99% completed, mom vacuuming around my desk, hits the switch on the surge protector. My dad is about 2000 years old in his mind, far worse than whatever anti-tech elder stereotype you can conjure. He would often just disconnect me but sometimes he would ask first if I was on the internet. He sang out once, "Are you on the radio?"

We can still only get 10mbps upload, even if you get gigabit down. And the tech who did my install said a guy who actually opted for the gigabit in another town drew so much bandwidth that it slowed everyone else around him. Not sure how accurate that is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

I remember pirating games with netpumper on rural 56k and i had to leave it going for like 8 fuckin days. We had extra lines installed so we could use the internet at the same time as the phone, and at night i would run a phone cable from the kitchen use 2 lines so i could download at full speed on the computer and still browse the internet on my dreamcast :clint:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

56K? Let me talk to you about hitting local BBS on a C64 @ 300 baud.. if you're lucky.

:corsair:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Powershift posted:

I remember pirating games with netpumper on rural 56k and i had to leave it going for like 8 fuckin days. We had extra lines installed so we could use the internet at the same time as the phone, and at night i would run a phone cable from the kitchen use 2 lines so i could download at full speed on the computer and still browse the internet on my dreamcast :clint:

When Rogers was testing "Rogers Wave" which was their first attempt at trying out cable internet, I signed up our house as testers, unbeknownst to my parents. Soon a Rogers crew showed up and dug a trench in our backyard to run a cable which got me in deep poo poo. My parents were bewildered at what was going on but seemed to understand that their son was doing some weird computer poo poo they didn't understand but wanted to encourage so they let it continue.

We were given a Zoltrix cable modem about the size of a VCR that sat on the desk next to a sweet 486/66. It was hot all the time. The modem just farted heat all the time, even when idle. Exploring my newfound freedom I started harvesting warez sites for links, and then found FlashFXP which allowed me to do 8-10 simultaneous connections to sketchy public FTP sites scattered all over Europe and North America. 300kb/s max which was a triumphant achievement on early cable.

One day I cleared out some space on the hard drive and queued up enough massively threaded FTP downloads to last most of the day. I went to school and came home to very concerned parents. Turns out the modem casing had melted and caved in, filling the living room with fumes, and then it had shorted out and blown a breaker.

Rogers eventually replaced it with a Lancity brand model that had a massive heatsink on it, and to this day I think I was the reason for that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I remember one year wondering how anybody could fill a 2gb hard drive, and the next begging my parents for a 40gb maxtor for christmas.

these days i'm pissed because i paid $100 a piece for 3tb hard drives like 6 years ago and i probably couldn't replace them for that.

Still, repeating a sentiment i made a few pages ago, with an antivirus running and an SSD, my fairly respectable system can't even really keep up with 300mbps, i can't imagine how the average person will see any benefit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am also on 300/300 and to be honest for a "normal" user like me, gigabit would be wasted. Hell, I was happy with the 150/150 service in all reality. Moving from my 25/5 dsl to that was loving amazing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The last big leap I really felt was moving from the lovely Bell 5/0.5 DSL to 30/1 cable

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

I am also on 300/300 and to be honest for a "normal" user like me, gigabit would be wasted.

Yeah, I had Novus gigabit and other than speedtests it only gave 100mbit going to anywhere on the actual Internet that weren't cache servers because of their uplinks to other providers.

Telus 150/150 performed better for me. At these speeds you need to get it through the entire path. Who cares if you have 300/1000/2500 if you can't actually achieve the speed past your local ISP node.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I wish anything close to synchronous speeds were available here. Best Bell offers is 50/10. Maybe when full duplex DOCSIS 3.1 is deployed.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

I wish anything close to synchronous speeds were available here. Best Bell offers is 50/10. Maybe when full duplex DOCSIS 3.1 is deployed.

Don't count on it, Rogers doesn't see upload as any sort of priority, they barely put enough on their gigabit service to handle ack data, let alone any sort client data. Bell only does it because it's free* for them, and even the Rogers RFOG deployments can't do high upstream bitrates because they brought all the problems of their existing copper plant forward onto their fibre plant.

* Even then, some Bell FTTP areas have the upstream capped at 750mbit, not gigabit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah, Bell is 1.5Gbps/940Mbps or 1Gbps/750mbps

mewse
May 2, 2006

8ender posted:

One day I cleared out some space on the hard drive and queued up enough massively threaded FTP downloads to last most of the day. I went to school and came home to very concerned parents. Turns out the modem casing had melted and caved in, filling the living room with fumes, and then it had shorted out and blown a breaker.

:lol:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Rogers promo expired, hopped on the Bell 1.5gb for $90 a month. Not a bad price for those speeds at all.

Pretty unnecessary though and I'll hop down to 1gb or 500mb in 12 months when it's up.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

Don't count on it, Rogers doesn't see upload as any sort of priority, they barely put enough on their gigabit service to handle ack data, let alone any sort client data. Bell only does it because it's free* for them, and even the Rogers RFOG deployments can't do high upstream bitrates because they brought all the problems of their existing copper plant forward onto their fibre plant.

* Even then, some Bell FTTP areas have the upstream capped at 750mbit, not gigabit.

Best I can find anywhere over DOCSIS (even looked up a few US providers) is Videotron's 940/50. I'm sure eventually full duplex will be rolled out. I don't know if we'd be seeing it before the end of 2020 though.

I'm on Teksavvy rCable with what I believe is a 32x8 modem. Only 3 upstream channels are active. Maybe this full duplex poo poo will hit the TPIAs sometime after 2025.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I don't even know how I'm going to be able to tell the difference between my Shaw 150 and when they upgrade it to 300 . . . other than going to fast.com. At this point I would love them to increase the uploads so that I can backup photos to my onedrive faster. At the moment my monthly backup takes the better part of an hour or and hour and a half.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I could stand to see my game updates download a little faster. But I'm not grieving over 120mbps

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Blistex posted:

I don't even know how I'm going to be able to tell the difference between my Shaw 150 and when they upgrade it to 300 . . . other than going to fast.com. At this point I would love them to increase the uploads so that I can backup photos to my onedrive faster. At the moment my monthly backup takes the better part of an hour or and hour and a half.

:same:, I don’t require that much for upload but having it speedy would be nice. Especially with more cloud backing up. I’d take a more symmetrical 150/150 over 300/20 or whatever it is.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

zergstain posted:

Best I can find anywhere over DOCSIS (even looked up a few US providers) is Videotron's 940/50. I'm sure eventually full duplex will be rolled out. I don't know if we'd be seeing it before the end of 2020 though.

I'm on Teksavvy rCable with what I believe is a 32x8 modem. Only 3 upstream channels are active. Maybe this full duplex poo poo will hit the TPIAs sometime after 2025.

So full duplex over docsis is a verrry complicated problem. I think your 2020 guess is going to be pretty close to what's happening.. The reasons behind it being a problem are a few:

a) First FDX radios are finally just being produced now.
b) based on how your cable plant is laid out, you've got 1 (or many) bidirectional amplifiers and taps that not only amplify signal but also noise, so by the time you get to the last node/homes, you're stretching the definition of "usable signal". Downstream you can make up for this by putting large amounts of initial signal down the pipe. Upstream, well, look at our fellow goon's melty modem story.
c) right now, because of how the cable is laid out generally, you need to remove the amount of actives (read:amplifiers) in order to make it happen. This means more nodes, and more fiber. So more trenching, more power, more right of ways, more permits (which is the hard/expensive/time consuming one). So while node prices are getting cheaper, you still need to be able to serve the new nodes with fiber shelves and power in order to make it happen.

So the normal technical goon is going to go "well, this sounds all very expensive, why not just go fiber to the home". You're right, that's the best solution but it's also like 4x more expensive trying to do that little bit of last mile, but also the CPE is very expensive, PLUS, people hate when you dig trenches to their house since a lot of these places were put in without pullways.

TL;DR, I think you're right, 2020 is a good guess for pilot FDX, and I think we're looking at 10 years before we see any cable company with a large amount of fiber to the home, if only because coax is turning out to be a pretty good medium overall.. Last SCTE they were talking about being able to put 1800-2000 mhz of frequency through cable runs, keeping in mind there's a lot of plants out there today that only support 750 or so.

If you're ever interested in more information, the SCTE has a ton of whitepapers on DAA and FDX, kinda neat stuff if you're interested.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Looks like Shaw has doubled the speed on schedule. Just power-cycled my modem, and Speedtest was giving me 340 down.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Looks like Shaw has doubled the speed on schedule. Just power-cycled my modem, and Speedtest was giving me 340 down.

I guess it's okay :shrug:

e: upped to 50 connections, still okay.

Can still only get around 50MB/s off steam which is bullshit

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 3, 2018

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

originalnickname posted:

So full duplex over docsis is a verrry complicated problem. I think your 2020 guess is going to be pretty close to what's happening.. The reasons behind it being a problem are a few:

b) based on how your cable plant is laid out, you've got 1 (or many) bidirectional amplifiers and taps that not only amplify signal but also noise, so by the time you get to the last node/homes, you're stretching the definition of "usable signal". Downstream you can make up for this by putting large amounts of initial signal down the pipe. Upstream, well, look at our fellow goon's melty modem story.
c) right now, because of how the cable is laid out generally, you need to remove the amount of actives (read:amplifiers) in order to make it happen. This means more nodes, and more fiber. So more trenching, more power, more right of ways, more permits (which is the hard/expensive/time consuming one). So while node prices are getting cheaper, you still need to be able to serve the new nodes with fiber shelves and power in order to make it happen.

So the normal technical goon is going to go "well, this sounds all very expensive, why not just go fiber to the home". You're right, that's the best solution but it's also like 4x more expensive trying to do that little bit of last mile, but also the CPE is very expensive, PLUS, people hate when you dig trenches to their house since a lot of these places were put in without pullways.

TL;DR, I think you're right, 2020 is a good guess for pilot FDX, and I think we're looking at 10 years before we see any cable company with a large amount of fiber to the home, if only because coax is turning out to be a pretty good medium overall.. Last SCTE they were talking about being able to put 1800-2000 mhz of frequency through cable runs, keeping in mind there's a lot of plants out there today that only support 750 or so.

If you're ever interested in more information, the SCTE has a ton of whitepapers on DAA and FDX, kinda neat stuff if you're interested.

And here I was thinking all they had to do was replace the CMTSs and maybe some other network gear since it used the same channels for up and down, and the legacy upstream channels would still be there for customers on DOCSIS 3.0/3.1. I just figured it might be almost 2 years before Rogers even spends the money on that.

I was initially going to say "before 2020," but then thought it might be more like late 2020.

Looks like you need a membership to access most of those whitepapers. I don't suppose the specs published by CableLabs covers that kind of stuff.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love the fact that you're downloading stuff at the speed of locally copying something between HDDs, but the speed is only OK. :shobon:

I get about 112MB/s on Rogers' gigabit.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

I love the fact that you're downloading stuff at the speed of locally copying something between HDDs, but the speed is only OK. :shobon:

I get about 112MB/s on Rogers' gigabit.

You need SSDs.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

originalnickname posted:

I thought at one point CableCos could just switch over to IPTV for their actual cable service and just free up all the frequency that is used on cable for internet downstream and upstream channels?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought at one point CableCos could just switch over to IPTV for their actual cable service and just free up all the frequency that is used on cable for internet downstream and upstream channels?

They could, but getting every legacy device that is lurking on their network replaced would be a huge expense, and nobody is willing to bite the bullet on doing it because it'll impact their bonuses.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

You need SSDs.

*External HDD

I have a couple 2TB NVMe drives but those aren't for my Linux ISO collection ;)

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

EoRaptor posted:

They could, but getting every legacy device that is lurking on their network replaced would be a huge expense, and nobody is willing to bite the bullet on doing it because it'll impact their bonuses.

It's this. Tons of cable co's already have IPTV CDN's and (most) of them are already utilizing IP transport for at least VOD and some select channels where the market wouldn't bear out actually putting it on a QAM pid.

When you've got tons of customers, legacy STB replacement becomes no joke, so that particular can keeps getting kicked down the line to someone else to pull the trigger on.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Man, don't you remember how pissed people were getting when the analog stations were being phased out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

In a perfect world Rogers would take the opportunity to free up the bandwidth and replace all the dumpster fire Scientific Atlanta STBs but they can achieve gigabit on existing spectrum so that's a really long way off.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I seldom have anything good to say about Bell but we got a firestick recently and I was surprised when I tried the Bell app that it just...worked. No login or setup, long as you're on the fibe network, its just like having another STB there. Works pretty well.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Man, don't you remember how pissed people were getting when the analog stations were being phased out.

Oh yeah that was awful, but imagine how much more efficiently tech support would run if you only had to support one type of set top box and they cut all the low profit-margin basic cable customers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I may need to moved to wired on my desktop PC but I'll need a 25ft cat-6 cable haha

I could only max out at 300 on desktop with 5ghz but my iPhone was getting about 491 at 6pm in Winnipeg.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Iron Rose posted:

Rogers promo expired, hopped on the Bell 1.5gb for $90 a month. Not a bad price for those speeds at all.

Pretty unnecessary though and I'll hop down to 1gb or 500mb in 12 months when it's up.

So the agent I talked to didn't put the promo through, which is great since I called them up. Apparently they have some package with Bell's "Alt TV" via an app. Total is $55 a month for unlimited gigabit and free TV. That's more than worth it for the Internet alone.

Shame it also cost my soul cuz drat if Bell isn't by far the most evil Canadian ISP out there. Pretty good promo though gotta say.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The fact that the incumbent providers get to go discount crazy on bundles and deals while the independents lie under the spectre of "interim pricing" has me pretty unhappy. I switched my modem tonight to a TP-Link 7650 that doesn't have the lovely Puma 6 problems, while upgrading to 125/15, and Andrew at Start.ca had me sorted via the online chat widget within a minute. My upgrade went through an hour after that.

We're in a weird place where deals from the Rogers, Bell, etc can be amazing but only because the independents suffer in a strange CRTC pain zone, and you only get those deals if you really push for them. It's not a healthy market.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you're covered by Telus' fibre network (allegedly ~60% of customer base by end of 2018), there's currently a promotion offering 750/750mbps service for two years with unlimited data (during that term) for $95/mo + tax. Supposedly $140/mo after that, but I'm reasonably confident that competitive offers / retentions deals will provide a way to avoid paying that much when the time comes.

Offer also optionally includes "Pik TV" for free, more or less a AppleTV/Chromecast compatible basic cable.

ETF if you don't stick the two years is 10/mo, there's also an extra $100 bill credit for ordering online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I will check into that. Tbh my 300/300 is plenty for me and a big month for me is anything north of .5tb, but hell, I'll check into it.