Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
He who controls the SECRET GAS FORMULA, controls the SKYSHIP.

You do your father's legacy proud @duneauthor, you loving hack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

adebisi lives posted:

Didn't realize this but David Lynch actually made a sequel to dune called blue velvet that is a bit more of a departure from the source material but is almost as entertaining as his first dune movie

I can't think a Dune theme for this quote but I still want to say it.

BABY WANTS TO gently caress

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

MrTargetPractice posted:

I can't think a Dune theme for this quote but I still want to say it.

BABY WANTS TO gently caress

baron wants to gently caress *yanks heart plug*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dune Syndrome

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I started watching the Smithee cut the other day not knowing what it was and, holy poo poo, that half hour expo dump that opens the movie is one of the most atrocious things committed to film. That's not to say the monologue that opened the theatrical version was good, but it was better than a straight-up PBS style history lecture.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Toto!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tricky D posted:

I started watching the Smithee cut the other day not knowing what it was and, holy poo poo, that half hour expo dump that opens the movie is one of the most atrocious things committed to film. That's not to say the monologue that opened the theatrical version was good, but it was better than a straight-up PBS style history lecture.

Yep

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I heard that when the Lynch film was released, theatregoers were given pamphlets that set the stage and established characters, like ultra-detailed play programmes. Is this true? It sounds pretty far-fetched but then again the theatrical cut does kind of just throw you into the plot, Virginia Madsen's creepy monologue aside.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Madsen's dialogue is good though?

Yeah they did do that

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

A beginning is a very delicate time...

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Denis Villeneuve is contractually* obliged to include the audio recording of the first two chapters of The Assassination of Billy Jeeling, featuring an African American protagonist in the middle of the new Dune movie.

* Actually scratch that, he wanted to do it anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm pretty sure that Showgirls in the canon Dune sequel

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm pretty sure that Showgirls in the canon Dune sequel

A young Gina Gershon would have played a good Jessica. In fact, Bound with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon was a vignette about the two BGs who met Leto the second. He was played by that dude in that movie that your av is from.

e. Not Keanu. Cipher with the lightning gun.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Alan Smithee is a poo poo director, just throwing that out there. You see any of the other garbage movies the guy's put out?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

adebisi lives posted:

Alan Smithee is a poo poo director, just throwing that out there. You see any of the other garbage movies the guy's put out?

He had a really long career though.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
"Director Allen Smithee, a name I'm not familiar with, allows his story to unfold naturally. He never preaches, and he never lingers on the obvious. His characters do what they have to do." - Roger Ebert

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If you don’t like the Smithee cut then it is very possible that the narrative style of Dune is not for you.

:shrug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The smithee cut is poo poo and the theatrical cut that still has a real director name attached is good

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
water of life vending machine

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
One of the things that impressed me about the movie was the sandworm SFX. Those scenes where the tri-mouth comes up out of the ground, and the sand/dust is getting blown away, somehow, with 80s SFX, they managed to make it look very much like that thing had a 200 foot diameter, and that just tons of sand and dust were blowing off of it. It was very cool, and I wonder how they managed to make it look so good with practical effects.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mister Speaker posted:

water of life vending machine

DJI Hunter-Seeker with 4k resolution

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

The smithee cut is poo poo and the theatrical cut that still has a real director name attached is good

agreed, theatrical cut proves less is more

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I really like the implications of the floating telepathic space foetus being named, not a Final Stage Navigator, but a Third Stage Navigator. There might be further stages, that make the FTSF look normal...

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

phasmid posted:

A young Gina Gershon would have played a good Jessica. In fact, Bound with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon was a vignette about the two BGs who met Leto the second. He was played by that dude in that movie that your av is from.

e. Not Keanu. Cipher with the lightning gun.

Same, but Bride of Chucky. The eventual children are the Tlelax and BG.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

basic hitler posted:

It's literally the best part of the film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tree Bucket posted:

I really like the implications of the floating telepathic space foetus being named, not a Final Stage Navigator, but a Third Stage Navigator. There might be further stages, that make the FTSF look normal...

I'm the legendary Super Navigator

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
This is what you call a Super Navigator 2... And THIS is what it means... To go even further beyond!!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Guys, why not go to the source for this discussion

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 2, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mister Speaker posted:

I heard that when the Lynch film was released, theatregoers were given pamphlets that set the stage and established characters, like ultra-detailed play programmes. Is this true? It sounds pretty far-fetched but then again the theatrical cut does kind of just throw you into the plot, Virginia Madsen's creepy monologue aside.

I don't think so. I attended the SF Bay Area premier, at Zellerbach Hall on the UC Berkeley campus. We got a program, but it had very little text beyond lists of characters and such. Lol, there were four stills from the movie in it and none of them were in the cut we saw.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

basic hitler posted:

The smithee cut is poo poo

:stare:

basic hitler posted:

the theatrical cut that still has a real director name attached is good

:vomarine:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Gyah!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm actually going to save that picture but I'll need to crop it. It's a good tank though?

E: "Internationally Bestselling Series" :smithicide:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 2, 2018

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

GORDON posted:

One of the things that impressed me about the movie was the sandworm SFX. Those scenes where the tri-mouth comes up out of the ground, and the sand/dust is getting blown away, somehow, with 80s SFX, they managed to make it look very much like that thing had a 200 foot diameter, and that just tons of sand and dust were blowing off of it. It was very cool, and I wonder how they managed to make it look so good with practical effects.

Oh really? I thought the worms were the only thing in the movie that actually looked cheap. Some of the sets look really extravagant and expensive, like the emperor's throne room or the palace hallways on caladan, but the worms always looked like a 4 foot long tube on a little sand pit. I wonder what a modern fx house would do with it, because it is ultimately a really jarring and unnatural looking image, a giant worm in the sand. You can't have the millions of little things happening look of star wars or avengers movies, its just a big worm and lots of dust.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DebonaireD posted:

Oh really? I thought the worms were the only thing in the movie that actually looked cheap. Some of the sets look really extravagant and expensive, like the emperor's throne room or the palace hallways on caladan, but the worms always looked like a 4 foot long tube on a little sand pit. I wonder what a modern fx house would do with it, because it is ultimately a really jarring and unnatural looking image, a giant worm in the sand. You can't have the millions of little things happening look of star wars or avengers movies, its just a big worm and lots of dust.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DebonaireD posted:

Not the side-view, like when Paul is running up to it to plant the spike and get aboard. That looks fake.

Like when the emperor is looking through the periscope and the worms have the heads in the air, and the waves of dust coming off them make them look massive.

But, I guess I might be seeing what I want to see, as I was pretty young when I saw it in the theaters when it was first released.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Anne Frank Funk posted:

No, read the thread title. This is not okay!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Crosspostin

Tumble posted:

"Oh, I get it! I am a very good Ruler, happily living my life, when I see a House going in the wrong direction (to put it mildly). Against all odds I usurped Duke Leto Atreides & and continued my dealings. I lightly looked into seizing Arrakis for the Spice - very legal & cool! ... Muad'Dib and his 12 Angry Fremen are on a WITCH HUNT!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anne Frank Funk posted:

MODS

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

DebonaireD posted:

I wonder what a modern fx house would do with it, because it is ultimately a really jarring and unnatural looking image, a giant worm in the sand. You can't have the millions of little things happening look of star wars or avengers movies, its just a big worm and lots of dust.

With Villeneuve at the helm, I'm looking forward to it. He (and or his DOP) knows how to make use of atmosphere, haze, weather, and lighting to make things moody and vast. See BR2049 and Arrival. The trick is that you build a hyper-detailed scene and then obscure almost all of it, except the parts that give the most vital information and make for the most striking image. The viewer feels and infers the detail, which is 100x better than seeing it plainly.

DebonaireD posted:

Some of the sets look really extravagant and expensive, like the emperor's throne room or the palace hallways on caladan, but the worms always looked like a 4 foot long tube on a little sand pit.

They're beautiful sets, but lit and shot so blandly that they look like expensive sets instead of real places. They show too much.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What really popped for me on a recent rewatch is how the entire film has a clear color spectrum that goes through oranges and greens, which is a combination you don't usually see, especially not nowadays when everything seems to be vaguely desaturated and blue.

This appears even on Kaitan and Giedi Prime so it's not just "yeah obviously Arrakis is a sand pit." It really made the film seem different, alien .