Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is really obtuse yeah, but the interface is still way better than X3s, bizzarely. it just needs more instructions on how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

quote:

This game just makes me mad. It has the basic framework of a good game but is plagued with terrible decisions along the way that just make it frustrating.

quote:

maaaan this is the weirdest gaming experience in my life

Like I really want to like this game, but I've restarted 3 times now all within an hour and each time I got to a point where I just went 'what the gently caress, how do I do this' and put it away.

The idea of the game is awesome, but trying to learn this feels like I should get a degree in videogames for my troubles.

:allears: Look at these non-X3 players

X4 does not like my i5-6600K and 1070ti at 2560x1440, getting ~25 fps in a moderately populated shipyard. Granted that's a long-tooth CPU at this point, but...I dunno. Switching to Medium or Low presets and fiddling with various AA, SSAO and Glow settings don't seem to make a difference. Plus, VSync not being diable-able is an issue, and borderless windowing doesn't result in anything like I'm seeing in streams.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 2, 2018

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

spider wisdom posted:

:allears: Look at these non-X3 players

X4 does not like my i5-6600K and 1070ti at 2560x1440, getting ~25 fps in a moderately populated shipyard. Granted that's a long-tooth CPU at this point, but...I dunno. Switching to Medium or Low presets and fiddling with various AA, SSAO and Glow settings don't seem to make a difference. Plus, VSync not being diable-able is an issue, and borderless windowing doesn't result in anything like I'm seeing in streams.

Well there really is no excuse for a company that made games (or rather the same game) for 2 decades to have this kind of terribe UX. I can get along with it, but I understand everyone perfectly who is pissed off by it.

RE performance: Any shipyard? My FPS are always above 30, mostly between 50-100 with a Xeon E3 1231v3/1080.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The UI is great tbh.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I looted some poo poo and I have no idea how to check my cargo to find out what, exactly, I looted. There's even this bit called "Storage" that is loving empty so that can't be the poo poo I looted. The UI is notgreat.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Shift-I to see your personal inventory.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I looted some poo poo and I have no idea how to check my cargo to find out what, exactly, I looted. There's even this bit called "Storage" that is loving empty so that can't be the poo poo I looted. The UI is notgreat.

Its really dumb because most items actually go into your "personal" inventory not the ships wares inventory. Couple of questions of my own:

- How do i go about getting poo poo build on a station? I want to build a docking area but i have no idea about the steps
- Do Traders ever get smarter? I appreciate autotrading being really easy compared to previous entries but the profits are pretty small so far. The freighter I have stays in its own system despite me having set an order for galaxy autotrade. I want them to make bigger profits!
- How do you level up crew/pilots? These holotapes you can buy seem useless.

Edit: They also need to finally add descriptions what all the software actually does that you can buy! Also weapon damage spread etc.

From what I can tell your ships dont have a reactor output anymore for weapons and every weapon has its own overheating ratio for continuuous fire?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

haldolium posted:

Well there really is no excuse for a company that made games (or rather the same game) for 2 decades to have this kind of terribe UX. I can get along with it, but I understand everyone perfectly who is pissed off by it.

RE performance: Any shipyard? My FPS are always above 30, mostly between 50-100 with a Xeon E3 1231v3/1080.

honestly i work for a german company and every german-originating piece of software has a UX that looks like a plane cockpit - it's a cultural "engineering" thing with germans imo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Finally after 10 hours I have all my controls mapped to things that work and the game is playable. The game is fairly CPU bound, went from 25FPS in station to 50FPS by Overclocking my 2500k a bit more, seems stable at 4.85Ghz. If you are having framerate issues it's probably your CPU. I get 70FPS in space, so I'm happy. Now I can throw a few thousand hours at the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also Is there anywhere I can see the lifetime profits my traders have made somewhere? I'm fairly sure X3 Terran Conflict had such a function, or maybe that was an extension?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

- How do you level up crew/pilots? These holotapes you can buy seem useless.

I asked a dev about this and the seminars are now useless (:wtc:) and crews level up incredibly slowly. But apparently you can buy decent ones by hiring random people off capital ships, but it won't tell you their stats in advance.

Yeah, it's really loving dumb.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Can someone point me to a guide or hell, even just a suggestion of how to start making money?

I jumped in and kind of figured out the controls and at least a playable amount of the UI but couldn’t figure out what ship to buy to make money. Should I buy a crew to mine? Trade? Rush for a station?

E: hosed up

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 2, 2018

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mad Wack posted:

honestly i work for a german company and every german-originating piece of software has a UX that looks like a plane cockpit - it's a cultural "engineering" thing with germans imo

Haha, yeah that has some truth to it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Fly near stations and open the map and look for yellow dots, you can right click on them to look at what mission they are offering. You can also go into short range scan mode (shift+2) and scan "data leaks" and get offered missions that way.

I spent my first ~3 hours doing "get me off this station" missions which pay out over 100k for just ferrying a dude to a different station in the same system.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

I've found a way to live the hobo life: crafting first aid kits as you hitch a ride from station to station. They sell for about ten times the resource cost.

Always buy needles, bandages and sedatives to build first aid kits in your starport.

Edit: ^^^. I made a bunch from x4 crazy taxi.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 2, 2018

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

Fly near stations and open the map and look for yellow dots, you can right click on them to look at what mission they are offering. You can also go into short range scan mode (shift+2) and scan "data leaks" and get offered missions that way.

I spent my first ~3 hours doing "get me off this station" missions which pay out over 100k for just ferrying a dude to a different station in the same system.

I should have clarified, I sort of meant “what’s the best way to start my company” as opposed to actively running missions. I’ve run a share of missions and saved up 500k or so, but I’m afraid to squander that in a way that won’t meet return on investment

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Can someone point me to a guide or hell, even just a suggestion of how to start making money?

I jumped in and kind of figured out the controls and at least a playable amount of the UI but couldn’t figure out what ship to buy to make money. Should I buy a crew to mine? Trade? Rush for a station?

Do missions by looking for those yellow exclamation marks near stations. Keep in mind that the difficulty estimation is a bit wonky - I've had item recovery missions that were marked as impossible where i just had to whittle down a random unarmed transport for 300k.

In general, for missions:
- If there's a mission that says you have to deliver stuff to places, you have to buy that stuff yourself. That's why those mission rewards tend to be higher - though you're actually selling the stuff at the destination, so that's nice
- Ditto for station building: you have to pay for the station. Think of it as the mission being "stimulate the economy in this way and we'll pay for it" rather than "we'll pay you for these goods".
- Difficulty estimation is wonky, I think it's meaningless as long as a) there's no time limit and b) it's not a direct "Kill this guy" mission
- If a mission says "deliver stuff to our station in X" it won't give you a destination marker but it really does mean every station there. I had one where I had to deliver 1k nostrop oil and medical supplies to "our stations in <some sector>" and it really was that some stations have those as inputs, they have buy orders for 100 or 200 odd at each one, so this freighter just has to go to all of them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yikes to the extreme.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Can I edit or cheat my way into a starting 1-3mil credits somehow? I want a kitted out medium ship and try my empire journey again.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Morphix posted:

Can I edit or cheat my way into a starting 1-3mil credits somehow? I want a kitted out medium ship and try my empire journey again.

Stop restarting from scratch every 3 hours.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Astroniomix posted:

no

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

E: hosed up

Enter scan mode on your ship (purple) fly really close to just about any station, you should see some static that looks like your videocard is overheating, it's not. That's the effect, go touch it until you get a prompt to speak with it. This starts the main story, and fairly early on in it you unlock another start that is 200k, 2 ships, 2 crew, and a basic station. You can do this faster than you can earn this stuff so if you haven't done much a fresh start can be rewarding. (you will need to sacrifice a ship at some point, you unlock the new start even if you are on the ship that blows up and you get a game over).

e: speaking of

Morphix posted:

Have you tried the Teladi start? It's the one you unlock above.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Astroniomix posted:

I hate that I do it but it's how I play these games. Rimworld is similar, I kept restarting until I learned the mechanics.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I should have clarified, I sort of meant “what’s the best way to start my company” as opposed to actively running missions. I’ve run a share of missions and saved up 500k or so, but I’m afraid to squander that in a way that won’t meet return on investment

Best bet is probably to get a freighter and have an NPC captain start auto trading. I haven't messed with it much as I've been too busy watching the construction ship I hired fly through a minefield and then get into a fight with a xenon K. We are currently touring argon space.

Morphix posted:

I hate that I do it but it's how I play these games. Rimworld is similar, I kept restarting until I learned the mechanics.

The only thing restarting is going to do is make it take longer for you to learn the mechanics. 3 million is about 30 minutes of work in the stock discoverer from the exploration start. Can't speak to the other two but it's probably about the same unless one of them has no weapons and cannot carry any passengers.

I think there's a keybind for the dev console(It's called the "debug log" haven't turned it on to see what it does) but IIRC you had to download a mod to be able to give yourself a bunch of money in X3.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 2, 2018

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Astroniomix posted:

The only thing restarting is going to do is make it take longer for you to learn the mechanics. 3 million is about 30 minutes of work in the stock discoverer from the exploration start.

alright good point, I was getting the impression from how badly I was failing at doing one mission to earn 150k that it'd take several hours before I was making medium ship money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, I'm playing about with it and I think that once you've bought the parts for a station module, you can actually take it apart again, or move it elsewhere on the station, without paying any extra cost other than the price of re-hiring a builder... You get back all the parts if you disassemble it.

That's really loving nice if so.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, I'm playing about with it and I think that once you've bought the parts for a station module, you can actually take it apart again, or move it elsewhere on the station, without paying any extra cost other than the price of re-hiring a builder... You get back all the parts if you disassemble it.

That's really loving nice if so.

Can you rotate parts in the placement screen? Trying to design the phq and the snap is only letting me go in one direction.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
An incredibly easy way to make money at the start is buying items from the station traders for medkits. it costs like 1k to buy them and you can instantly craft them for 10k sale items.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Morphix posted:

alright good point, I was getting the impression from how badly I was failing at doing one mission to earn 150k that it'd take several hours before I was making medium ship money.

There's some RNG to it but "get me off the station" and "mine removal" missions pay well for very little time. "Steal thing back from some guy" missions are also worth a lot, just look carefully at which faction your target belongs to so you don't accidentally piss off a major power who's space you're in the middle of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

Can you rotate parts in the placement screen? Trying to design the phq and the snap is only letting me go in one direction.

Yes but it's awkward, you have to drop them somewhere in empty space and then select them, then right click rotates them. It's annoying that it doesn't do it in the initial ghost placement mode.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but it's awkward, you have to drop them somewhere in empty space and then select them, then right click rotates them. It's annoying that it doesn't do it in the initial ghost placement mode.

I was just coming back to edit my post that I figured it out but thanks. It is definitely an awkward way to do things but that's egosoft in a nutshell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would guess they might change it, or there might already be a rotation button which I can't find :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've found an Osprey Vanguard Corvette with 0/16 crew surrounded by mines. How do I take this thing over? The tutorial said to look for a signal in scan mode in your suit but I can't find any and I've been around the ship 3 times now.

I guess it's not really abandoned? It shows as "Neutral" and no ownership.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Larger ships you have to board with a marine I believe. Even if it's unowned.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So my game still crashes if i try and talk to an ai in station interiors. Just those specifically crash my game. Is this playable without ever going into an interior? I can do ship bridges and most of the station just not interiors.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Has anyone been able to get traders assigned to a station to work properly? Mine aren't doing poo poo.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DogonCrook posted:

So my game still crashes if i try and talk to an ai in station interiors. Just those specifically crash my game. Is this playable without ever going into an interior? I can do ship bridges and most of the station just not interiors.

You're required to talk to faction representatives to get your new rank once you have enough standing with them. I haven't seen any way to do that remotely.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Alright how do I tell the ship this alien told me to buy, how do I tell it to dock at the anti matter factory? I figured out how to get it to follow me from the ship store, but I had the anti-matter cells on me, there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer cargo between ships and when I dropped the cells in hopes of piloting the Magpie ship I bought, I couldn't pick them up

and now this fucker is just sitting outside the anti-matter factory, I have him selected in the trade window for the factory and it says he doesn't have the space for it. The ship has nothing in it says the info window, I can't figure out how to get it to dock at the station.

this loving game

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Morphix posted:

Alright how do I tell the ship this alien told me to buy, how do I tell it to dock at the anti matter factory? I figured out how to get it to follow me from the ship store, but I had the anti-matter cells on me, there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer cargo between ships and when I dropped the cells in hopes of piloting the Magpie ship I bought, I couldn't pick them up

and now this fucker is just sitting outside the anti-matter factory, I have him selected in the trade window for the factory and it says he doesn't have the space for it. The ship has nothing in it says the info window, I can't figure out how to get it to dock at the station.

this loving game

In the map, select the Magpie, then right click the station, select Dock at. I"m pretty sure the Magpie doesn't have container storage, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Morphix posted:

this loving game

Did you buy a ship with solid cargo, instead of container cargo?