Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah I'm a cynic. Give it enough time, people forget and thus forgive.

So serious question, and it's going back to the Argentina thing: Trump has been a disaster but isn't he like notably way, way worse in the weeks since the midterms? To the degree that he even tried to be worth half a poo poo it sure seems he just stopped trying. Petulance? Increasing dementia? Mixture?

The world he built in his head where his amazing leadership was making everyone love him and makes it so he's winning all the time just had a head on collision with reality. I think it is finally starting to sink in just how much he has been protected by the house.

For the first time in a long time (perhaps ever) people around Trump is telling him "Yeah the NY AG is going to rip Trump Inc to bits, every weakness you've hidden over the years will be drug into the light for people to laugh at, and your kids are very likely going to go to jail. Oh and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it."

He's not exactly taking it well.

Cat:

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shifty Pony posted:

The world he built in his head where his amazing leadership was making everyone love him and makes it so he's winning all the time just had a head on collision with reality. I think it is finally starting to sink in just how much he has been protected by the house.

For the first time in a long time (perhaps ever) people around Trump is telling him "Yeah the NY AG is going to rip Trump Inc to bits, every weakness you've hidden over the years will be drug into the light for people to laugh at, and your kids are very likely going to go to jail. Oh and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it."

yeah. he is hosed. his company is built on lies and bullshit and will be torn down. at least 2 of his kids are screwed if the mueller show decides they are and trump will probably get impeached, even if he doesn't get convicted(gently caress if i know but no) the NY state will gently caress his poo poo up when he gets tossed from office.

id say he has gotten worse since manafort and cohen first got convicted.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

theblackw0lf posted:

Does anyone remember what the coverage was like when Nixon died?

NYT posted:

The nation's secular leader, President Clinton, and the closest thing the country has to a national religious leader, the Rev. Billy Graham, came to Yorba Linda to preside at the service, as if to signify a national readiness to let bygones by bygones -- if not to forget Watergate, which would be impossible, then to set it in the context of the accomplishments that also marked the Nixon years.

In the five days since the 37th President died in New York last Friday night at the age of 81, politicians, historians and ordinary Americans have spoken a great deal about his intelligence, his doggedness, his grasp of foreign affairs and his love for his family, and very little about his ruthlessness and his divisiveness.

There is less talk about Richard Nixon as an evil schemer and more of him as a tortured soul whose damaged personality never gave him a moment's real repose or chance to savor his successes.

[...]

But there is something more at work here than mere revisionism. The nation has been hardened by its steady diet of scandal. Watergate has spawned so many other gates, most recently Whitewatergate, that it no longer seems unique to many people. The plea "Give him a break!" is heard at least as often as that older cry, "Get rid of the bum!"

If Americans are now more ready to forgive, that is at least partly because their leaders have given them so much to forgive.

A beneficiary is President Clinton. Like Richard Nixon, he has qualities that lead many to doubt his veracity or at least his candor.

To his enemies, Mr. Nixon was "Tricky Dick;" to his enemies, Mr. Clinton is "Slick Willy." He has been criticized for avoiding service in Vietnam, for his reported relationship with a singer, Gennifer Flowers, and for his and his wife's financial dealings, but many have quickly forgiven him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2kShWMaUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0C_dBdKcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8-gVnPEXTM

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

:) חַג חֲנוּכָּה שַׂמֵחַ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nixon much like W was smart enough to repaint his legacy and have friends to help do that. they did it in different ways(nixon through charisma and wonkery and W through charity) it sucks but i take joy in knowing trump isn't smart enough to pull that poo poo off.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nixon much like W was smart enough to repaint his legacy and have friends to help do that. they did it in different ways(nixon through charisma and wonkery and W through charity) it sucks but i take joy in knowing trump isn't smart enough to pull that poo poo off.

He'll be 74.5 when he leaves office at the absolute minimum. He simply wont have time.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shifty Pony posted:

I mean, he is human after all, meaning he's flesh and blood and fallible. Honestly, the cold hearted part of me does hope that like stress and doubt are now finally super-aging him in the way we've seen presidents aged by this job, and that finally on some level his own reality is caving in because, these are the times that presidents with vision and some sort of fortitude retreat a bit and regroup to fight a new day. He just does NOT have the constitution for that and never did.

He'll never be removed from office via impeachment, and won't be led away in cuffs. We made that choice long ago, we don't jail presidents no matter what they do. But knowing that his children won't be able to live an opulent life stolen off the backs of the suckers their dad grifted, and that some of them may see the inside of prison cells (Mueller willing), that might be enough for me. Not enough for society and the damage they've done but it's probably the best we'll get under the system we have. It's unusual enough for someone that rich to be torn down in such a way so remarkable for that reason if indeed it does happen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

He'll be 74.5 when he leaves office at the absolute minimum. He simply wont have time.

its not even that. its that he is stupid rear end in a top hat who can't be a social chameleon and pretend to care about others or have positive charisma. nixon and W did have that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not even that. its that he is stupid rear end in a top hat who can't be a social chameleon and pretend to care about others or have positive charisma. nixon and W did have that.

There's a tiny, almost-dead part of me that really, really tries to find the best in people, and I just can't with him. Like the man has zero positive qualities, which in a way is kind of amazing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

An endless line of people being held back by the cops so they can't physically poo poo on his headstone

Donald will finally get his wall, around his grave.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He doesn't need to rehab himself, all it takes is a worse person to come along, We'll be in 20 years with some actual member of some kinda neo nazi party as the republican front-runner and Michelle Obama will say she and Donald were actually secret besties.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VH4Ever posted:

I mean, he is human after all, meaning he's flesh and blood and fallible. Honestly, the cold hearted part of me does hope that like stress and doubt are now finally super-aging him in the way we've seen presidents aged by this job, and that finally on some level his own reality is caving in because, these are the times that presidents with vision and some sort of fortitude retreat a bit and regroup to fight a new day. He just does NOT have the constitution for that and never did.

He'll never be removed from office via impeachment, and won't be led away in cuffs. We made that choice long ago, we don't jail presidents no matter what they do. But knowing that his children won't be able to live an opulent life stolen off the backs of the suckers their dad grifted, and that some of them may see the inside of prison cells (Mueller willing), that might be enough for me. Not enough for society and the damage they've done but it's probably the best we'll get under the system we have. It's unusual enough for someone that rich to be torn down in such a way so remarkable for that reason if indeed it does happen.

A very warming fact - the back taxes and fines owed to NY state from the tax frauds exposed by The NY Times would roughly equal the appraised value of Trump Tower.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

A very warming fact - the back taxes and fines owed to NY state from the tax frauds exposed by The NY Times would roughly equal the appraised value of Trump Tower.

I hope Trump tower gets turned into low-income housing

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

There's a tiny, almost-dead part of me that really, really tries to find the best in people, and I just can't with him. Like the man has zero positive qualities, which in a way is kind of amazing.

Maybe it's just because I'm sad but I've always seen him as someone who could have been good, but instead is a petty little man and insecure, likely as a result of his upbringing. This leads him to do wicked things. He has a lot of qualities that, if he were a good person fundamentally, would make him extremely popular with everyone. Instead, I think he's a scared and angry little man.

I contrast him with Mike Pence. I believe Mike Pence is a deeply, fundamentally wicked man, and far more evil than Trump.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shifty Pony posted:

Him spending his post-presidency babbling in a wheelchair, sitting forgotten in the middle of an indigent elder care facility like Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad, well, that would be karmic justice.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

All I remember is it was a friday night, my family was watching TGIF, and when the news broke that he died my dad immediately went to the fridge and popped a beer in celebration.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crow Jane posted:

I hope Trump tower gets turned into low-income housing

I was going to say it should be a dog park with Trump-head shaped hydrants, but your idea is better.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mineaiki posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm sad but I've always seen him as someone who could have been good, but instead is a petty little man and insecure, likely as a result of his upbringing. This leads him to do wicked things. He has a lot of qualities that, if he were a good person fundamentally, would make him extremely popular with everyone. Instead, I think he's a scared and angry little man.

I contrast him with Mike Pence. I believe Mike Pence is a deeply, fundamentally wicked man, and far more evil than Trump.

I forgot the article, but;
“Trump is what he is, and that’s pathetic. Pence is who he has chosen to be, and that’s terrifying.”

I disagree with ya, though. All of Trump’s qualities which are not nakedly evil or malicious are such that they only can facilitate those that are. Talking about Trump as though he might have been other than a narcissistic bully is like talking about water that might not be wet.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

“Trump is what he is, and that’s pathetic. Pence is who he has chosen to be, and that’s terrifying.”

I disagree with ya, though. All of Trump’s qualities which are not nakedly evil or malicious are such that they only can facilitate those that are. Talking about Trump as though he might have been other than a narcissistic bully is like talking about water that might not be wet.

There's just something so... incurious, I guess? about him that I find incredibly revolting and can't see past. Like not only is he ignorant, he sees that ignorance as a mark of character, and it just goes against everything I value in people.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh yeah, I should say I still think Trump is a bad dude, and all of his "not evil" flaws definitely make him evil. His desperate need for approval leading to him tear-gassing children at the border so the CHUDs will like him is a great example.

Pence is definitely more in control, more well-rounded, more measured and considered. And just deeply, deeply cruel.

I think the big difference is that I kind of don't feel like Trump hates anyone, I think he just doesn't really care, or refuses to recognize that his actions are hurting people who aren't themselves bad. Pence hates people. Like a lot of people, for no good reason and he knows it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1069256897251950592

AOC added to her tweet about her congressional health care plans with some more really obvious commentary that no one ever really seems to bring up: no one likes actually choosing their healthcare plan.

Too true. I handle benefits for my company, and as a result I'm very knowledgeable about what all the different numbers and options mean, but I STILL couldn't tell you why you should go with, say, Blue Shield instead of Sharp, or Kaiser, or whatever. Does one provide better services in particular areas? Why are the prices different between the companies for essentially the same care? gently caress if I know.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Get me out of here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7ik4XRYtc&feature=youtu.be

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

theblackw0lf posted:

Does anyone remember what the coverage was like when Nixon died?
Here on the other side of the pond, there was a lot of celebration when Thatcher died. Lots of people tried to get Ring Dong The Witch Is Dead to the top of the charts. It made it to number 2 but then the BBC chickened out of playing it on the official chart show. Here's a video of Glenda Jackson laying in to her legacy during the House of Commons debate. Watch it to the end for when the next politician tries to :decorum: it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtClJYJBj8

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1069268454455341056

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Think about the gall of someone like Netanyahu. Isn't this like the third corruption related charge this year? And he just waved it away like, "yeah, the police always do this, now I'm just gonna get on with my day."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

VH4Ever posted:

It's funny to talk about but you know Trump and his dumb kids will die rich and never ever see the inside of a cell, right? There's a zero percent chance.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I wish I had the ability to dunk on morons like she does, I really do.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

It's funny to talk about but you know Trump and his dumb kids will die rich and never ever see the inside of a cell, right? There's a zero percent chance.

Everything is impossible, until it isn't.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:stonklol:

https://twitter.com/lindeeloo_who/status/1068916663695933440
https://twitter.com/lindeeloo_who/status/1069012870988513280

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

1glitch0 posted:

So you're saying kush will go to jail

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I wish I had the ability to dunk on morons like she does, I really do.

She’s not really that great a ‘dunker’. Republicans are hiding behind a rock but also throwing it? That doesn’t make sense.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

She is so good at this.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1069263711456645120

Worth watching through to the end.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

are trump's kids even intelligent enough to commit financial crimes?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

The revolution can only happen if China kills all the poors in Western countries; shipping fentanyl to first world countries is ethically and morally the right move.

This legitimately is a side benefit of China chemical manufacturing sectors. Not to be as humorous or flippant as the above poster, but getting Americans addicted to and or killing them is a net positive for China from a zero sum international relations perspective. Both the United States and China are seen to be in competition to be the world's leading economy (regardless of the GDP difference) and if China can kill off enough Americans it can have wide ranging effects. I'm not super read into this but I have heard discussed that the resources being allocated to fight the opioid crisis could be better spent elsewhere. Scientific/pharmaceutical efforts and research are being wasted to provide answers , law enforcement and DEA have to do address it instead of dealing with other issues, tax dollars go to social programs to answer the drug epidemic instead of other social safety nets, not to mention the human cost of dead Americans. Each of those dead people have lost potential and could have done ~something~ with their lives. The sort of grandiose claim anti abortionists like to make about killing the baby that cures cancer sort of applies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Waroduce posted:

This legitimately is a side benefit of China chemical manufacturing sectors. Not to be as humorous or flippant as the above poster, but getting Americans addicted to and or killing them is a net positive for China from a zero sum international relations perspective. Both the United States and China are seen to be in competition to be the world's leading economy (regardless of the GDP difference) and if China can kill off enough Americans it can have wide ranging effects. I'm not super read into this but I have heard discussed that the resources being allocated to fight the opioid crisis could be better spent elsewhere. Scientific/pharmaceutical efforts and research are being wasted to provide answers , law enforcement and DEA have to do address it instead of dealing with other issues, tax dollars go to social programs to answer the drug epidemic instead of other social safety nets, not to mention the human cost of dead Americans. Each of those dead people have lost potential and could have done ~something~ with their lives. The sort of grandiose claim anti abortionists like to make about killing the baby that cures cancer sort of applies.

This is kind of an insane clash of civilizations way of viewing the world. I doubt China is out there chortling and rubbing their hands together over the opioid crisis.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Comey basically gets what he wants - compromises to not have it on TV, but gets a transcript released ASAP and freedom to talk about what he says as much as he wants.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1069282913647304707

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crow Jane posted:

yeah it;s impossible to find anything good about him - he's the perfect product of his horrible father.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Trump's M.O. was to have the absolute largest amount of "gently caress You" money in the world and to bank on everyone to be greedy enough to grovel to him for it so he'd never have to change. He never reached it, though his PR stunts and structuring convinced the public that he was that rich. The people with real "gently caress You" money, the ones he desperately wanted the attention and adulation of, saw right through it.

He'll probably try to go back to throwing money at politicians and boasting about himself after leaving office, but the illusion will be so totally broken no one will buy it. He'll be stumping to Holiday Inn conference rooms half filled with the few remaining true believers he has left for the most unsatisfying narcissistic attention hit of his life.

His children will most likely cheap out on his funeral and try to profit off his Presidential Library when it gets transferred to the National Archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/GeorgeHWBush/status/865229585415274496