Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I thought French New Wave was the coolest thing when I was a teenager and it kind of fell out of favor with me about halfway through college. French New Wave really is case by case at this point, but I really liked Hiroshima.

E: Breathless, and the 400 Blows (and 8 1/2) were the movies that probably got me into art house cinema in the first place and if those don’t work for you, I would say it’s safe to feel like the genre isn’t for you.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I want everyone here to know that I picked up Hiroshima, Mon Amour yesterday because that movie owns.

RIP Filmstruck.

Thanks for reading.

gj goon, I'm not into New Wave at all but that film is amazing.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The Japanese and Czech New Waves were the best New Waves, there's several Eclipse box sets worth seeing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nroo posted:

The Japanese and Czech New Waves were the best New Waves, there's several Eclipse box sets worth seeing.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Milos Forman made some good poo poo in the heyday.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Cleo from 5 to 7 is probably the French New Wave film I would start out with. Maybe Pierrot le fou?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
This might be a really dumb question but are Criterion Blu-rays region locked? I can't seem to find any info for True Stories on the regular places and don't know whether I need to wait for the UK release.

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me

Creature posted:

This might be a really dumb question but are Criterion Blu-rays region locked? I can't seem to find any info for True Stories on the regular places and don't know whether I need to wait for the UK release.

Yes, they are region-locked (with the exception of their new Bergman mega-set, which is region-free).

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

SgtSanity posted:

Yes, they are region-locked (with the exception of their new Bergman mega-set, which is region-free).

Dang. :( I guess I’ll be waiting then. Thanks!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, if it's dreamboxes we're talking about :

WONG

KAR

WAI

God, yeah.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

I'll be honest, Hiroshima Mon Amour did absolutely nothing for me. All French New Wave continues to absolutely elude me, although I've got Breathless (non Criterion) sitting here that I haven't yet got around to, and that seems to be the turning point for a lot of people.

Anyone have decent entry points for French New Wave? I really appreciate the contributions it had to cinema, but I just really, really can't click with the films themselves.

Based on what I know, Resnais never really considered himself a part of the New Wave proper, but rather a director steeped in the modernist tradition who happened to emerge at around the same time... also he was about a decade older than all of the Cahiers du cinema critics (except Rohmer of course)

Nobody's mentioned Chabrol's Le beau serge & Les cousins but i think they're the best ways into the movement along with Rohmer's Six Moral Tales cycle. Breathless is essential (duh) but there are a number of other Godard films from the 60s that are just as good places to start: A Woman Is A Woman, Vivre sa vie, Contempt, Band of Outsiders, Alphaville, and Masculin Feminin. I'll throw my hat in for Shoot the Piano Player as the best place to go with Truffaut after The 400 Blows and Jules and Jim. Rivette is my favorite Cahiers director but I hesitate to readily suggest him to newcomers... Le coup de berger and Paris Belongs To Us are certainly worth a watch for a neophyte but beyond that forget it. I'm not the biggest Varda fan but Cleo from 5 to 7 and Le bonheur are both good.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Cleo from 5 to 7 is probably the French New Wave film I would start out with. Maybe Pierrot le fou?

Idk, I think Pierrot le fou is not a great place to start with the movement in general and Godard in particular... I see it as way too tied up in knowledge of his previous films and influences to be really enjoyable as a starting place? At the very least I personally didn't have a positive response to it as a teenager and it took until I saw the rest of his 60s films and a decent chunk of his influences to really move me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pierrot le Fou was one of the first Godards I saw and I felt pretty lost and alienated by his style with it. Now that I've all of his 60's features though I feel like I would get waaaaay more out of it, I just haven't gone back to rewatch it yet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Loves of a Blonde, motherfuckers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Pierrot le Fou was one of the first Godards I saw and I felt pretty lost and alienated by his style with it. Now that I've all of his 60's features though I feel like I would get waaaaay more out of it, I just haven't gone back to rewatch it yet.

I’m the same. I had seen Breathless and Week End and loved them, but that one just felt.....so empty. I feel like that about a lot of his flicks really. Great style but either no substance or the substance is nonsense

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Zatoichi boxset (region B locked) is on Amazon UK for 21 pounds. They don't ship to Australia :(

E: that's about 30USD shipped

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/50-off-the-criterion-collection/_/N-2rz2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpVyMAlPBs

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Ouch, and I just did their Arrow sale, and Arrow's Christmas sale just this very moment. :smith:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

According to the website there's a copy locally of the Bergman set I could buy and pick up today. I wasn't planning on buying it yet, but...

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FancyMike posted:

According to the website there's a copy locally of the Bergman set I could buy and pick up today. I wasn't planning on buying it yet, but...

loving DO IT

(I finally opened it a couple nights ago and watched The Virgin Spring and these restorations are absolutely stunning)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
blind bought the bergman set, i've only seen Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, The Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly, Persona, The Magic Flute, Autumn Sonata, and the TV version of Fanny and Alexander, all of which are dope, so I'm fairly confident that that's 154 clams well spent.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Website lied, they don't have it, closest one is multiple states away. Oh well, I should really get my existing Bergman stuff sold first anyway. Hopefully they have some in stock for the next flash sale.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

K. Waste posted:

blind bought the bergman set, i've only seen Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, The Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly, Persona, The Magic Flute, Autumn Sonata, and the TV version of Fanny and Alexander, all of which are dope, so I'm fairly confident that that's 154 clams well spent.

I started with the TV version of Fanny and Alexander, and that was the first Bergman I've seen.

It was fantastic. I can't imagine how they cut it down to 3 hours for the movie. It wasn't until the epilogue where I felt that the film needed a little tightening up.

I can't recommend it enough. It's five hours that will keep you going.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's a masterpiece, for sure. It was my second Bergman and I totally agree, it just drifts right by despite its soul-eroding ardor.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

March 2019:
Japón, Carlos Reygados
Detour, Edgar G. Ulmer
Wanda, Barbara Loden
I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Robert Zemeckis
The Magic Flute, Ingmar Bergman
The Kid Brother, Ted Wilde

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1073695469606445058

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 14, 2018

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Detour is great

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Might have to grab Detour.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I bet the Criterion Forum folks are having collected heart attacks from Criterion announcing early.

I'll be picking up The Kid Brother, Detour, and I Wanna Hold Your Hand. The Kid Brother is one of Harold Lloyd's best films (up there with Safety Last and The Freshman). The old DVD had Carl Davis' score and it's wonderful. I saw Detour on TCM years ago and thought it was amazing, even if it was in rough shape. The new restoration seems to look incredible.

While I haven't seen I Wanna Hold Your Hand before, I'm sold on a movie about Beatles fans by Zemeckis and Gale.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

wanda is one of the best movies ever

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Detour is a perfect movie. It’s also like Night of the Living Dead in that it’s public domain so there’s a billion lovely transfers floating around on DVD, so it will be nice to have a well put-together version. Can’t wait.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh man I cannot wait to get a good version of Detour.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

FancyMike posted:

March 2019:
Japón, Carlos Reygados
Detour, Edgar G. Ulmer
Wanda, Barbara Loden
I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Robert Zemeckis
The Magic Flute, Ingmar Bergman
The Kid Brother, Ted Wilde

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1073695469606445058

I have never heard of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" until today, and now I really want to see it.

I just got "Smithereens" for my birthday, and I am super excited to watch it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Radio Spiricom posted:

wanda is one of the best movies ever

I’m excited to check it. The local “micro-cinema” had trailers for it for months, and the week that they had it, I was sick.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Wanda isn’t for everyone’s tastes. I went into it blind and it wasn’t my thing.

Only afterward did I learn it was the first movie to be directed , written and starring by the same woman, so that is neat .

Forty Guns is another one that is a ‘good’ movie that didn’t do much for me. I would like to have seen The Steel Helmet get its own spine, or an upgrade of White Dog

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I wonder when they'll release more Kurosawa.

But yeah, Wanda seems legit interesting. I really love it when they take films you can't otherwise see, and give them a great home video release, like a brighter summer day.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I wonder when they'll release more Kurosawa.

But yeah, Wanda seems legit interesting. I really love it when they take films you can't otherwise see, and give them a great home video release, like a brighter summer day.

Kurosawa is probably next up for a comprehensive box set. If they can sell out of a Bergman box within a week, Kurosawa would be out of stock by day one. Especially since if they can get Ran, they can absolutely do a complete works set.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
My Bergman box is missing disc 23 and has two copies of disc 21 instead. Can Amazon even do anything about that? On their page I can only choose "returns". Or should I write Criterion? Anyone know?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Steen71 posted:

My Bergman box is missing disc 23 and has two copies of disc 21 instead. Can Amazon even do anything about that? On their page I can only choose "returns". Or should I write Criterion? Anyone know?

Email Jon Mulvaney (mulvaney@criterion) and he'll hook you up

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i find rohmer's films to be a very easy point of entry to french new wave. there's no hermetic aesthetic language to decode or sartrean existential manifesto to read before you start to understand everything. it's all pretty straightforward.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Email Jon Mulvaney (mulvaney@criterion) and he'll hook you up

I'll try that. Thanks.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I’m glad they’re releasing the Bergman stuff individually too. I’ve been waiting for Vargtimmen on BD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

True Stories is awesome. I wasn't sure what to expect, even though I love Talking Heads and offbeat comedies. I like how you sort of expect Byrne to take a "look at all these weird people" approach, but he's compassionate - even if this is all based on tabloid stuff. You can't help but like the characters. Also, John Goodman singing is just wonderful.

Also, still making my way through Ingmar Bergman's Cinema - watched Smiles of a Summer Night, Crisis, A Ship to India, To Joy, Summer Interlude, and Summer with Monika so far. Opted to skip Wild Strawberries since I had just rewatched it not long ago.