did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Admiral Bosch posted:

Re: NPR chat. I was listening to local Colorado Public Radio on the NPR station a couple nights ago(KGNU for the curious) and they were doing a really awesome interview with Richard Wolff, who I had never heard of and spent all day listening to at work today. So the public radio institution does have some hope.

I think the airing of this story/interview was the point at which I stopped religiously listening.
https://www.npr.org/2017/09/12/549594249/hillary-clinton-done-but-not-going-away
Tamara Keith is obviously in love with her. Asks her a few complimentary leading questions and fails to challenge her in any way. Accuses comey, "character attacks from bernie sanders," sexism, etc for the loss. In the next paragraph the interviewer literally dismisses an itemized list of her campaign's faults. At the end, abuela puts on yoga pants and hugs a doggie in the woods.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fart store posted:

I think the airing of this story/interview was the point at which I stopped religiously listening.
https://www.npr.org/2017/09/12/549594249/hillary-clinton-done-but-not-going-away
Tamara Keith is obviously in love with her. Asks her a few complimentary leading questions and fails to challenge her in any way. Accuses comey, "character attacks from bernie sanders," sexism, etc for the loss. In the next paragraph the interviewer literally dismisses an itemized list of her campaign's faults. At the end, abuela puts on yoga pants and hugs a doggie in the woods.

My point was when I heard their week long "expose" on SSDI abuse. I hadn't been listening to them for long so I imagine I missed even worse poo poo.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh man I heard about most of that but not the

quote:

"I want kids to be at school to learn about how you build a mine, how you do geology, how you drill for oil and gas, which is one of the most remarkable scientific exploits of anywhere in the world that we do," he said.

bit, yeah kids fuckin' love petroleum engineering and back-breaking mine labor

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Thanks, CorporateBytes!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

Thanks, CorporateBytes!!!

Don't slave a 9-5 just to make someone else richer, slave a 9-6 / 8-5 to make someone else richer because companies figured out they could get away with not paying for your lunch hour

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMostFrench posted:

Thanks, CorporateBytes!!!

Oh I can do this all day you dumb binch

ah gently caress poo poo piss kill me

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

somewhere in the world, Bill Gates sits pondering on what's to be done about The Haters

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Motion blur on the weights is a nice touch. Really makes me want to fail forwards.

e: pay several weeks rent so that your digital character can wear the best clothes.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 09:55 on Dec 2, 2018

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that 97% who quit work for the 3% who never gave up is literally the worst advice

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Rise of Seattle's Tiny Apartments and the Needed Death of the Private Kitchen

quote:

The developer would love to sell apartments with massive private kitchens and, thereby, make more money. But the policies have forced him/her to do something that, at once, keeps the profits flowing (the monster), and, as a byproduct, something that's right (the elimination of a costly luxury).

The fact that almost every apartment in this city has a kitchen is nothing but obscene and not at all sustainable. Kitchens, if they are in any kind of place, should mostly be shared. But best of all is that we eat in places that are built to prepare and serve food. Public places. The very idea of a kitchen in every apartment and house is, if given proper thought, just plain nuts. It's inefficient. And the way the climate catastrophe is unfolding, if any survival is possible (in the normal sense), it demands from every aspect of human life greater efficiency in real-world terms, and not those imagined by a market that's entire directed by fictitious capital.

The private kitchen is a monster of waste. Among other things, it occludes the relationship between what is wanted and not wanted. In an isolated kitchen, all that is not wanted simply ends up in the bin. Also, it is stupid that every apartment or house prepares its own meal for its own consumption. It doesn't take much thinking to appreciate this fact. Living in the capitalocene city will mean more of our daily activities occur in public or communal spaces.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shared kitchens are the goddamn worst. I’d rather cook on a hotplate in the bathroom.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I agree! People are much too isolated from each other, and shared kitchens would be a really good way to help build a community, and the better off members can help look after the elderly or the struggle families, real "it takes a village" kinda stuf....that's not what they're talking about at all.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

ever had roommates who don't clean up after themselves? Now you can have that experience with your entire building!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

due complaints about the kitchen mess, it has been closed permanently. now only food will be from vending machine. good day, citizen.

*vending machine doesn’t work*

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wrex Ruckus posted:

ever had roommates who don't clean up after themselves? Now you can have that experience with your entire building!

Yeah I absolutely do not trust social mores to make people pick up after themselves

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheMostFrench posted:

Thanks, CorporateBytes!!!

working for a public institution instead of 'to make someone richer' really owns

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Len posted:

Yeah I absolutely do not trust social mores to make people pick up after themselves

To paraphrase Terry pratchett: 'If everyone owns it, no one does"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

Re: NPR chat. I was listening to local Colorado Public Radio on the NPR station a couple nights ago(KGNU for the curious) and they were doing a really awesome interview with Richard Wolff, who I had never heard of and spent all day listening to at work today. So the public radio institution does have some hope.
if you like Richard Wolff, the best regular thing he does is the bimonthly Global Capitalism talk he gives at the Judson Memorial Church
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxEbXankGuM

he unlists his talks as he does them, but I think you can find the urls for past videos through patreon if you are inclined

NPR in general sucks poo poo, but I'm surprised they would bring on someone like richard wolff. it must be purely a local thing

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

sure yeah, but they need to drop rent down accordingly
some apodments cost 1grand a month, lmfao

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

Outrail posted:

To paraphrase Terry pratchett: 'If everyone owns it, no one does"

Tragedy of the Commons binch

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Platystemon posted:

Shared kitchens are the goddamn worst. I’d rather cook on a hotplate in the bathroom.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

rip that cooking w/ masao guy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

got any sevens posted:

some apodments cost 1grand a month, lmfao

And up!

And these are way the gently caress out in west Seattle:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

At the very least one could close the lid while cooking.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheMostFrench posted:

Motion blur on the weights is a nice touch. Really makes me want to fail forwards.

e: pay several weeks rent so that your digital character can wear the best clothes.

what's the point of having money if you aren't going to spend it on stuff that makes you happy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mushika posted:

At the very least one could close the lid while cooking.

he's letting the wine breathe

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just paid 2700 this month for renting a three bedroom with my wife in the far east side of Queens

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taintrunner posted:

I just paid 2700 this month for renting a three bedroom with my wife in the far east side of Queens

about half what I paid 2 years ago for a 2 bedroom in the Bay Area; everything is crazy

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

poo poo I'm never gonna be able to move back to Seattle and still stay in academia, huh. that sucks...

well. unless amazon dies and takes the real estate market with it or something lol

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The "Request tour" buttons should link straight to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmL2l-bcuUQ

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Doggles posted:

The "Request tour" buttons should link straight to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmL2l-bcuUQ
man so far this is one of the most poignant portraits of a person trying to rationalize and cope with a miserable situation I've ever seen

edit I watched the rest now. ouch...

we really have to kill the landlords, don't we

Mr. Lobe has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Dec 2, 2018

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished the entire thread. I just wanted to say death to capitalism.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mr. Lobe posted:

we really have to

You ever read up on public housing in Vienna? There's other cities like this, too.

Article: Why rich people in Austria want to live in housing projects
From: PRI
Date: 2015 OCT 26

quote:

VIENNA, Austria — Think of the words social housing project. What comes to mind?

Do you envision lush parks, tennis courts, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and saunas? Probably not. But Austrians do.

In the United States, inner-city residents often strive to escape “the projects.” In Austria, they’re where people want to escape to.

About 3 in 5 residents of Austria's capital Vienna, rich and poor, live in a “Gemeindebau” — public housing provided and managed entirely by the city — as well as other subsidized social housing typically run by nonprofit associations.

Globally, Vienna frequently ranks among the cities with the highest quality of life. Much of that is attributed to social housing.

The apartments set the bar high in terms of the maximum eligible income: about $46,000 — roughly twice the average annual income.

For a Gemeindebau apartment, the average rent per square foot is just under 50 cents, and 70 cents for new properties. The average among private housing is more than double, at $1.35.

what it would take to build a program like that here

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Dec 2, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

what it would take to build a program like that here

Getting our heads out of our assess

So, magic probably

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Lobe posted:

we really have to kill the landlords, don't we

yes

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Mr. Lobe posted:

man so far this is one of the most poignant portraits of a person trying to rationalize and cope with a miserable situation I've ever seen

edit I watched the rest now. ouch...

we really have to kill the landlords, don't we

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Doggles posted:

The "Request tour" buttons should link straight to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmL2l-bcuUQ

lmao they're rented to people who are already rich anyway, wtf

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

poo poo I'm never gonna be able to move back to Seattle and still stay in academia, huh. that sucks...

well. unless amazon dies and takes the real estate market with it or something lol

Just marry or room up with someone that works for Boeing or in tech. and it'll work out. That's what my colleagues that live in Seattle do.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

frogge posted:

Just marry or room up with someone that works for Boeing or in tech. and it'll work out. That's what my colleagues that live in Seattle do.

whole lotta people jump into and stay into bad relationships during periods of economic hardship imagine

even when I lived in seattle I considered moving in with a guy I was dating and liked but saw no future with

wonder how long it would have taken before I got sick him and would have felt materially trapped into maintaining the relationship

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4