Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Peter.Quint posted:

Yeah, at some point time will catch up with them. I'm just saying we should all expect this to take a long time.

That said, I'm no longer convinced by expenses > income argument. Surely consistent losses would have had some effect by now? Instead they're soldiering on, same as ever.

They can soldier on until the people who've given him the money circle around for their investment back. If you're a mushmouthed buffoon who can Kermit-talk your way into another 2 year extension, and you can pull that poo poo over and over, then you can just keep on keeping on.

I've said it before and I'm not sure it sunk in for some people, and this is not something I'm making up, so here it is again: Chris Roberts thinks that money is his. Not a donation, not a pledge, nothing to do with Star Citizen. That is his money that he has been owed for being an unappreciated visionary. He's basking in this happy accident as if it's his vindication for decades of being a loving laughingstock in multiple industries. It's gonna crash down hard around him in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/free-fly-week-7-million?fbclid=IwAR3lXoMmf8fi2MDVGl30pDCAiw9PAcWaLqJJZyiZ9ETnCJc01l1e0ZpgtbM

https://reddit.com/r/Games/comments/a2e88y/star_citizen_ends_free_fly_week_with_7_million/

Everything is great!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1068780665045307392
https://twitter.com/TheQuartering/status/1068213841824223232

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

quote:

Old Money versus New Money

At $200,000,000, CIG should be able to achieve all that they have promised -- especially considering their income won't stop flowing post-launch.

Going in my archive.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Can a post also be labeled as a "high-effort troll"?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

They can soldier on until the people who've given him the money circle around for their investment back. If you're a mushmouthed buffoon who can Kermit-talk your way into another 2 year extension, and you can pull that poo poo over and over, then you can just keep on keeping on.

I've said it before and I'm not sure it sunk in for some people, and this is not something I'm making up, so here it is again: Chris Roberts thinks that money is his. Not a donation, not a pledge, nothing to do with Star Citizen. That is his money that he has been owed for being an unappreciated visionary. He's basking in this happy accident as if it's his vindication for decades of being a loving laughingstock in multiple industries. It's gonna crash down hard around him in the end.

I actually think it's the hardcore backers who I have more contempt for than Chris. Luckily their future is insisting till they're red in the face whatever load of tripe CIG turns out is the best thing ever in the childish game of make believe they all play.

Me? Well, I'm taking the attitude of the space trucker in the freelancer commercial. Sipping my coffee (except it's tea), just watchin' Star Citizen play out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Reminder: Enron was an economical miracle with some haters publishing smears about it until it wasn’t.

Theranos had current cabinet members on it’s board right up until the management was arrested by the FBI.

Companies will be going concerns right up until the point they aren’t.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
The True Believer in Star Citizen will tolerate no trollish talk of "the game in its current form."

Only the dream is real.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Peter.Quint posted:

In a way that's what we all wanted, right? We get to see exactly what the genius of Chris Roberts and an unlimited budget can come up with.

Indeed. If Crytek take them down then it gives the Cultists an easy out. They can simply blame Crytek and wash their hands of it all.

I also want to see what CIG can produce and what release will look like (i mean release to us who obviously don't understand fidelity development)

If it turns out to be an outstanding game, the Cultists will be vindicated for their belief (but not vindicated for behaving like absoloute turds - that remains regardless).

If it turns out to be kind of ok game, then cool, the Cultists will look a bit silly, but it might be a game that many of us will enjoy playing for a while.

If it turns out to be a steaming pile of poo poo, then it will be highly amusing and the Cultists will look really stupid. Except, they will still hail it as being the best game ever and anyone who says otherwise is just a blind hater.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Peter.Quint posted:

I actually think it's the hardcore backers who I have more contempt for than Chris. Luckily their future is insisting till they're red in the face whatever load of tripe CIG turns out is the best thing ever in the childish game of make believe they all play.

Me? Well, I'm taking the attitude of the space trucker in the freelancer commercial. Sipping my coffee (except it's tea), just watchin' Star Citizen play out.

Can anyone explain to me why Crobbers thinks all space jackets need a single shoulderpad? I just don't understand early 90's game design.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Obsidian's teasing a new game to be announced at The Game Awards, december 6th

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://reddit.com/r/Games/comments/a2e88y/star_citizen_ends_free_fly_week_with_7_million/eaxr3p7

“I can defend it because I've developed large-scale software deployments before.
Normal AAA development is 2-3 years, but we're ignoring that they use existing engines, or recycle what they have. Asset creation to place in an existing game is not difficult when compared to creating an engine and mechanics.

>>I am confused how so little progress takes so much time

Because you refuse to learn about game development or take any information about how it works outside of your preconceived ideas.

>>I can’t understand how anyone is okay with this while Bethesda or Dice or EA get burned

Bethesda has used the same engine for almost a decade now. Dice has also used the same engine for almost a decade now. Sure they put in some tweaks and added new features, but the base was already completed for them.
They got poo poo on because they don't innovate and release buggy or lackluster games while selling at a premium price.
You're drawing false equivalence by comparing Star Citizen's development to any AAA studio. They have completely different contexts behind them, and to ignore that (since it's the core reason this entire conversation is happening) is ridiculous.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Peter.Quint posted:

Holy poo poo, it's the guy from that Starcraft cutscene.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 2, 2018

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
It is always the same pattern of “explaining” while criticizing this proves not understanding game development.
Every. Single. Time

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Quavers posted:

Yep, and proceeded to :downswords: about dreams for 1 hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dNoUjzTVaY

I clicked the vid to a random position, and he was sitting there with a serious face in explain-mode as if he was talking about real business. As if he was making a product that improves people's lives.
Even the guy telling about the Diablo-for-phone game, presented it as it was: a party where some light entertainment was announced, all smiles and we hope you have fun.
SC, such seriousness about something so trivial...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Decrepus posted:

How many human beings post earnestly about SC? I mean no bots. No goons. No shills. 100% real, actual sad brained meandering-through-life retards.

There's a good number of them. There's a lot on the discord too. I took a look at it once figuring there would be people like the dear reddit guys to get all in an uproar, but it was just totally normal people who just want to play a game of their dreams. So I felt mostly bad and didn't disturb them any.

I'm pretty sure the Reddit crowd is a minority, just like the SA crowd. Even if you put all of us and all of them together, you'd still not equal even a fraction of the normal, totally innocent people who want to play the game and aren't stirring the rage pot everywhere.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://reddit.com/r/Games/comments/a2e88y/star_citizen_ends_free_fly_week_with_7_million/eaxr3p7

“I can defend it because I've developed large-scale software deployments before.
Normal AAA development is 2-3 years, but we're ignoring that they use existing engines, or recycle what they have. Asset creation to place in an existing game is not difficult when compared to creating an engine and mechanics.

>>I am confused how so little progress takes so much time

Because you refuse to learn about game development or take any information about how it works outside of your preconceived ideas.

>>I can’t understand how anyone is okay with this while Bethesda or Dice or EA get burned

Bethesda has used the same engine for almost a decade now. Dice has also used the same engine for almost a decade now. Sure they put in some tweaks and added new features, but the base was already completed for them.
They got poo poo on because they don't innovate and release buggy or lackluster games while selling at a premium price.
You're drawing false equivalence by comparing Star Citizen's development to any AAA studio. They have completely different contexts behind them, and to ignore that (since it's the core reason this entire conversation is happening) is ridiculous.

So after 7 years they have a half of a solar system, with some empty procedural moons, 1 planet with a city that consists of two tiny areas connected by a train amidst a jungle of low poly skybox scenery and a no clip flight model. But its all somehow evidence that CIG is taking its time to create a game of unprecedented depth and fidelity.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Hav posted:

Reminder: Enron was an economical miracle with some haters publishing smears about it until it wasn’t.

Theranos had current cabinet members on it’s board right up until the management was arrested by the FBI.

Companies will be going concerns right up until the point they aren’t.

I've worked for multiple failing companies. When you are failing you can't give the impression that you are failing or your investors and employees flee and you fail even faster. This leads to fun things like not cancelling the absurdly expensive Christmas party because otherwise you go out of business even faster.

There really isn't going to be any forewarning when CIG shuts down. One day everyone will go to work to find the doors locked and an "At least we tried" letter from Chris.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

Ship sales and the tracker is less than half their income. They have bank loans and private investors.

Okay but like, where's your proof of this. We all suspect it but it's kind of going off the rhetorical cliff to start claiming it as factual

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Most businesses in general rightly place a lot of stock in looking successful whether they are actually successful or not. No one wants to do business with a perceived loser/failing company. Its a human nature thing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

CellarDweller posted:

I've worked for multiple failing companies. When you are failing you can't give the impression that you are failing or your investors and employees flee and you fail even faster. This leads to fun things like not cancelling the absurdly expensive Christmas party because otherwise you go out of business even faster.

There really isn't going to be any forewarning when CIG shuts down. One day everyone will go to work to find the doors locked and an "At least we tried" letter from Chris.

Can verify. Unless you're in the inner circle, or get tipped off by same, you literally can't tell until it's too late. You might attend a meeting at 4:30 PM where you're asked to work after hours on an important report for someone that has to be handed in at 7:00 AM the next day, and the next day the company is gone, and the guy asking you to stay late knew that when he asked. If anything, companies just about to sink look especially busy and profitable in the final weeks.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

There's a good number of them. There's a lot on the discord too. I took a look at it once figuring there would be people like the dear reddit guys to get all in an uproar, but it was just totally normal people who just want to play a game of their dreams. So I felt mostly bad and didn't disturb them any.

I'm pretty sure the Reddit crowd is a minority, just like the SA crowd. Even if you put all of us and all of them together, you'd still not equal even a fraction of the normal, totally innocent people who want to play the game and aren't stirring the rage pot everywhere.

The Reddit crowd is by far the most psychotic and toxic portion of the SC community. I think this is because Reddit itself is kind of a giant scum pit at this point, but also because as you go deeper into the SC community you can't help but have more contact with the game- Spectrum/Orgs/In-Game Chat are all much more skeptical and open to criticism. Yeah sure you end up with some white knights even there, but they have a much harder time yelling about how great the game is when they just clipped through their luxury yacht's elevator and died.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay but like, where's your proof of this. We all suspect it but it's kind of going off the rhetorical cliff to start claiming it as factual

I can't supply proof without doxxing myself. That should be something people don't need to ask me.

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Sarsapariller posted:

Some people here literally cannot accept that people play, PAY, and even enjoy star citizen in significant numbers

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Agony Aunt posted:

And some of those at least were from people who are already skeptical about the project and the free fly week reininforced their opinion of the "game".

I was one of those. Literally not worth a free download. I want my data back.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CellarDweller posted:

Me too, and there’s some serious groupthink along the lines of, keep your head down and don’t make it worse; and that’s always been the ELE. The tweet one morning from a CiG employee asking another if they know the doors are locked.

poo poo’s about to go down regarding the European offices considering that Brexit appears to be going for the ‘spiked pit’ model of negotiating out of treaties. This changes the entire work, customs, tax and fiduciary systems on both sides. Especially if some of those incentive schemes get wrapped up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't supply proof without doxxing myself. That should be something people don't need to ask me.

Seriously, Chris, it’s time you came clean. The increasingly poor decisions of Chris Roberts are well known. We can find you a place away from that Sandi creature if you need it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

Seriously, Chris, it’s time you came clean. The increasingly poor decisions of Chris Roberts are well known. We can find you a place away from that Sandi creature if you need it.

She knows, she always knows, eyes always watching...

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich
"I have super secret info that CIG is definitely hosed but Legal says I can't release it."

Where have I heard that before?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Citcon posted:

"I have super secret info that CIG is definitely hosed but Legal says I can't release it."

Where have I heard that before?

I'm also Derek.

I also didn't say they were hosed. Can people even read? There's nothing secret about bank loans or investor capital. They're just not "internet public" where everyone can just look to the left or something and see it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a mysterious cloak posted:

I was one of those. Literally not worth a free download. I want my data back.

Here you go, decode this.

code:
begin 0744 odt_uuencoding_file.dat
&4W5C:V5R
`
end

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm also Derek.

I also didn't say they were hosed. Can people even read? There's nothing secret about bank loans or investor capital. They're just not "internet public" where everyone can just look to the left or something and see it.

two weeks???

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
X4 achievement:

:laugh:

And from the game's press release:

"A space simulation, played as an action game from the 1st person in a living breathing universe, X4: Foundations delivers the franchise's most sophisticated universe simulation ever. Players will manage an empire while exploring space in first person. They can FLY EVERY SHIP, TRADE and FIGHT to BUILD their empire with modular station construction and think carefully when embarking on an epic journey."

Poor Star Citizen :negative:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

two weeks???

Christ, at this point, years and years, really. I think everyone here knows the balancing act CIG is engaging in right now, they're not exactly trying to hide it. They're palm-slamming in Tier-0 placeholder mechanics at a breathtaking pace, tossing in "cities" or whatever those backdrop graphics are meant to depict, and so on. People have said repeatedly it's against CIG's interest to release a game because the funding dries up, but at some point they're gonna have to release something they call "Beta" or "Early Access" or, I believe, a new term unique to CIG. At that point there will be a wink and a nudge to the backer base, who will get the idea that in fact, even though it's "released" in an official capacity, it's still not really released and you should definitely buy ships and keep pledging, and defending the state of the game with "it's an early access pre-release beta still in development a perfection cycle so it can't be judged".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Someone please repost that guy doing the math re: how long it would take to earn a ship in game at their current prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

She knows, she always knows, eyes always watching...

I know. It starts as a bright idea, and before you know it, the coke bowl is full again, and it’s like 1994. But you know how it goes, there’s always an end to the party, the lights come up and it’s like God’s very own flashlight reminding you that you owe Vitaly big, and he’s been a miserable bastard since his Zynga shares tanked.

He was into facebook big, too. Maybe you could get a deal with the DA? But the longer this goes on, the harder it’s gonna be, and if Sandi escapes....

Edit: reminder: Loreville is what was unveiled instead of the procedural city planet. Every tier 0 is a complete overreach that moves back to what is presented. The fun this is this looks like the endless hype reel that it is. Canyonero.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 2, 2018