Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

How revolting.

Also I was wondering why CK was playing the Christmas songs :downs:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

<popup button>

"Your religion has become the target of a Crusade for Burgundy!"

<clicks Join Defenders>

"Hey guys, actually Thrace is really nice this time of year!"

:unsmigghh:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a whole host of events that probably need rebalancing (or even just reactivating) for the current iteration of CK2. Seljuk spawned in my Byzantine game, and he probably could have taken Persia, but he just HAD to aim for Daylam instead, and after I crushed him he never really recovered.

Jedit posted:

I knew Catholics were getting a rework in this expansion, but that's going a bit far.

Re: Forming Britannia - I think it's Prydain for Bretons. I know it is for the Welsh, but it's been a long time since I took Haesteinn to Wales before Ireland.

Last I played it was Brythonaid for Welsh.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

How revolting.

Also I was wondering why CK was playing the Christmas songs :downs:

There's a free Christmas DLC you probably have enabled.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

SlothfulCobra posted:

Unless they've changed it in Holy Fury, it's Brythonaid instead of Wales for a Welsh ruler and then Prydain is the empire-level title.

I never seem to get tired of making Merlin's prophecies come true.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Brythonaid is Kingdom level. It's what Wales is currently known as in my game, but they've never expanded outside the normal borders after half of England was taken by the Muslims.

I just got the Alexander bloodline. Man, that's a lot of gold and prestige for not much reward.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I understand why people disable threat in the rules now. My pink hellenic empire has reconquered essentially the entire eastern roman empire plus Arabia and all of north Africa through great holy wars. Ever since I brought Egypt back into the empire (first won it through holy war but lost it almost immediately to my brother as my ruler died and I failed to change the succession rule rule in time), I control the entire hellenic world and I haven't been able to declare a single war in 50+ years because my vassals keep conquering stuff themselves and apparently leave me with the threat.

Pretty awesome game though, I've never been so huge before and I started out in the charlemagne start as the single-province count of Momemvasia in the rear end-end of greece. Feeling pretty proud of myself. If only I wasn't so pink.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah it seems a bit hosed when as Rome I conquer a 3-county duchy off the Abbasids and all of a sudden my threat shoots up to 50 from 0 and any war I declare involves me fight every one of my neighbors.

I mean I'm probably strong enough to fight them, the only empire that could conceivably challenge me is the orange one that's blobbing west out of India (though all of India bows to the Protector General).

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
You can ban your vassal from being able to declare external wars, which mitigates the Threat issue and is also arguably a good idea once you have vassals strong enough to expand on their own. One of the ways for a vassal to eventually shake off their overlord is to build their own holdings through conquest until they get to the point where they can say 'actually, gently caress you.'

Personally, although the defensive pact wars can be annoying, I like the Threat mechanic. It's one of the few things that puts the brakes on large powers' relentless consumption of all their smaller neighbours.

At least the way the game runs on my computer, there is also a kind of cheesy exploit possible if you want to use it. Whenever I load up my save, the first few months are a steady chain of everyone leaving whatever defensive pact exists against me. Then there's a fairly short cooldown, and they all join up again. So there's a window in there where you can launch a war while the defensive pact is almost empty.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

Brythonaid is Kingdom level. It's what Wales is currently known as in my game, but they've never expanded outside the normal borders after half of England was taken by the Muslims.

I just got the Alexander bloodline. Man, that's a lot of gold and prestige for not much reward.

Not much of a reward? One Invasion CB per ruler is a strong reward if you're looking for world conquest and don't want to play an Altaic Tengri Horde or the like.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

God dammit, Sweden is one holy site away from being able to reform Germanic and I can't figure out a way to give them Sjaelland. I'm a king or else I would just swear fealty...almost a thousand hours of CK2 and I'm coming up blank. Anyone have any ideas?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Take their land and DIY

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Palemdromes posted:

God dammit, Sweden is one holy site away from being able to reform Germanic and I can't figure out a way to give them Sjaelland. I'm a king or else I would just swear fealty...almost a thousand hours of CK2 and I'm coming up blank. Anyone have any ideas?

Can you give whoever holds it independence as a lone county (so Sweden can conquer them), or manipulate the AI into inheriting it through some marriage shenanigans?

(alternatively yeah just conquer Sweden and do it yourself, but that's the obvious answer so I assume either you aren't Germanic or you're bored of being the Fylkir and you want someone else to be the Fylkir for once, and hell I can't blame you!)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Tagswitch to Sweden, start a war for it, then tagswitch back.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, now that i know how to uncover plots, what do I do about them? I can't imprison the plotters, because I have an tiny chance of that working, and plotting to kill them takes too long and his hit or miss.

-you discover someone plotting against you
-20% imprison chance or whatever, cool
-raise your levies
-park them on the capital county of the pissy vassal you're about to try to imprison
-invite them kindly to gaol
-they say gently caress off
-oops, their entire area is already flooded with your guys
-win the siege
-declare peace
-congratulations, now you have an imprisoned vassal with a traitor flag. you may be able to revoke their title, ransom them, or just throw them in a hole and forget about them

this is part of the natural cycle of realm maintenance and chipping away vassal land to hand out to your dynasty. sometimes you want to piss your vassals off to the point that they plot against you or rebel

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

luxury handset posted:

-you discover someone plotting against you
-20% imprison chance or whatever, cool
-raise your levies
-park them on the capital county of the pissy vassal you're about to try to imprison
-invite them kindly to gaol
-they say gently caress off
-oops, their entire area is already flooded with your guys
-win the siege
-declare peace
-congratulations, now you have an imprisoned vassal with a traitor flag. you may be able to revoke their title, ransom them, or just throw them in a hole and forget about them

this is part of the natural cycle of realm maintenance and chipping away vassal land to hand out to your dynasty. sometimes you want to piss your vassals off to the point that they plot against you or rebel

Any other exploity tips like this for someone who is bad at this game? I always have a hard time transitioning from ruling everything myself to ruling thru vassals.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

Can you give whoever holds it independence as a lone county (so Sweden can conquer them), or manipulate the AI into inheriting it through some marriage shenanigans?

You can't grant independence to your de jure vassals. If he's the king of Denmark, he's out of luck.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Even with the new trade stuff down there it's still poor as poo poo, having one of those just lets you wage wars without blowing through your 5 year savings of 50 gold. I'm pretty sure the treasury event scales with income, I don't think I ever had to pay more than 150 gold for it even when I was emperor of the interior and north African coast because my actual income was so low. By that time I had several thousand gold just sitting in my treasury with nothing to spend it on because I'm tribal and had been raiding whenever I wasn't at war with my retinue like a tribal should. Even if for some reason you decide to make a feudal capital in hausaland or wherever you should still have plenty of gold from raiding. I mean everyone sits on 500-1k gold for emergencies right? Especially with the new coronations you never know when you'll need it.

Raiding didn't make me anywhere near as much money as the sub-Saharan trade routes did and I gave up on it as a primary money making method fairly quick. All the areas I could raid via land border were too poor for the raiding to be profitable. Instead I'd raid people right before invading them, and it turns out that made expansion pretty easy. I had the interior subjugated within four rulers and moved onto the exterior of Africa via great holy wars. I had one on the Abassids and one on the Umayayyads, and then both collapsed. So i did a series of regular holy wars to grab the rest of the continent. My vassals are now expanding my realm into Arabia without me so I've got to deal with that before they become too powerful.

My current ruler is kinda lovely outside of their martial so I've had to loan out a few kingdom level viceroyalties. My previous ruler was making 1k+ a year easy. I need to work back towards an unempowered council so I can pass imperial administration to deal with having low dip rulers and their horribly low vassal limits. Just need to get the tech to level 5 (I'm 2/3rds of the way to the purchase cost) and then I'll be good there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'll do that next time the Duke of Meth gets uppity. It's always that guy who has the strongest plots againsts me. Though Duke of Munster had a 99% plot strength against that that included his wife, his mother, and all his kids, but nothing ever happened.

I keep trying to change sucession, but the council keeps blocking me. I check on why, and its because they're all malcontents and Zelots and don't want any change, So I replace them with new people, and uh same thing!

Dammit, I want Absolute Monarchy to be a thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

twistedmentat posted:

I'll do that next time the Duke of Meth gets uppity. It's always that guy who has the strongest plots againsts me. Though Duke of Munster had a 99% plot strength against that that included his wife, his mother, and all his kids, but nothing ever happened.

I keep trying to change sucession, but the council keeps blocking me. I check on why, and its because they're all malcontents and Zelots and don't want any change, So I replace them with new people, and uh same thing!

Dammit, I want Absolute Monarchy to be a thing.

When you're replacing council members from the council screen (the one you get from the "empty council position" notification, not the one where you assign councillor's tasks), you can see the predicted council attitude of an appointee, and you can mouse over the attitude icon and see the reasons. It's slightly flawed because it doesn't take into account the opinion boost you get from appointing them to council, which is a particularly big factor for powerful vassals, but you can be sure that anyone who shows up as a loyalist in that menu will be a loyalist when appointed.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

snoremac posted:

I like how the obituary of your ruler rarely matches your perception of them. My ruler was a virtuous man with lots of loyal friends (enough to unlock the Yes Men achievement), good to the Church, and made significant territorial gains including a new kingdom title. He’s remembered as a raving madman everyone is quietly glad to be rid of. I can’t recall anything in that vein happening.

You may already know this, but the descriptions are based on your ruler's traits. I imagine that guy probably had the Lunatic trait.

One of my more successful rulers died and his obit focused on how he was always self-conscious about having been born of a concubine and how death would finally free him from worrying about it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I'll do that next time the Duke of Meth gets uppity.

I mean that guy is always gonna be pretty energetic and hard to manage one way or the other.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I mean that guy is always gonna be pretty energetic and hard to manage one way or the other.

Murchad, we need to cook.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

You may already know this, but the descriptions are based on your ruler's traits. I imagine that guy probably had the Lunatic trait.

One of my more successful rulers died and his obit focused on how he was always self-conscious about having been born of a concubine and how death would finally free him from worrying about it.

When Ragnar "Slayer of a Hundred Men, Conqueror of Ireland, Berserker and Ravager of Rome" Lodbrok died, his obit said "a Kind man"...

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Dallan Invictus posted:

(alternatively yeah just conquer Sweden and do it yourself, but that's the obvious answer so I assume either you aren't Germanic or you're bored of being the Fylkir and you want someone else to be the Fylkir for once, and hell I can't blame you!)

I'm germanic but planning to swap to something else soon. And yeah, it's just neat to have the AI reform germanic since I've seen it happen like...once before.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Tagswitch to Sweden, start a war for it, then tagswitch back.

Ironman

Torrannor posted:

You can't grant independence to your de jure vassals. If he's the king of Denmark, he's out of luck.

I'm the king of Bulgaria, so I could actually do this. No way to guarantee they'd try to take it though...I hold Skane and the bordering counties so they wouldn't have a land border. Maybe I'll just do it and hope for the best.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jedit posted:

When Ragnar "Slayer of a Hundred Men, Conqueror of Ireland, Berserker and Ravager of Rome" Lodbrok died, his obit said "a Kind man"...

"Kind to his friends, death to his enemies" is the classic warrior king.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jedit posted:

Oh yea I had a king that is the one who finally united Ireland under one crown, had 10 years of prosperity and had a dozen children, plus was beloved by almost all of his vassels be called a "raving madman" or another which was a super softy nice guy was know as a "violent drunkard".

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Disillusionist posted:

I didn’t know that. He must have become a lunatic late or during a war when I wasn’t paying attention to popups.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

Little bugs are annoying. :mad: Right now you can't nominate your children for elective titles if their other parent is a candidate.

Also, it's dishonorable to challenge women to a duel even if you're also a woman.

Favorite current bug: Varangian son inherits from queen mother who was matrimarried. Absolute cognatic. He has no Varangian trait. His unlanded dad later dies. It pops the event for coming home from the Varangian guard because his dad died and gives him the trait.

Apparently the event assumes dad = ruler no matter what?? Even if you already inherited the kingdom from your mom??

EDIT: Alright, question: where/what culture is Meth? Because that'd be a great place to start a custom kingdom.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 2, 2018

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Midnight Voyager posted:

EDIT: Alright, question: where/what culture is Meth? Because that'd be a great place to start a custom kingdom.

Unfortunately they’re probably referring to the Irish duchy of Meath.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

So I'm looking at reforming the Norse religion to have enatic succession and make my king the religious head, but I'm wondering what will happen once I reform. How does the game choose which of my female heirs takes over? I would test this out but I'm playing on ironman.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

puppets freak me out posted:

So I'm looking at reforming the Norse religion to have enatic succession and make my king the religious head, but I'm wondering what will happen once I reform. How does the game choose which of my female heirs takes over? I would test this out but I'm playing on ironman.

I think enatic clans changes it to Enatic Open succession, so it will work the same way as Muslims but with female instead of male heirs. Meaning that with nobody landed, it will basically work like primogeniture, but if you hand out titles to sisters/daughters, then they will be bumped up the line of succession based on how high ranking the titles are.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

puppets freak me out posted:

My advice is to reform the religion with a middle aged or old-but-not-too-old ruler who hasnt touched succession laws yet, i'm pretty sure it doesnt change the method of succession just the gender laws from agnatic to enatic elective gavelkind (if you haven't switched anything yet)

But if your ruler is popular with their vassals and has lots of kids (make sure you didnt marry any daughters non-matrilineally) you can just switch over to one of the easier to manage succession laws.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It does change to open succession, I did Enatic Clans in my Romuva game. It makes it pretty cool, I had four awesome daughters vying for the throne and being unbelievably badass.

I started a new Africa game since I messed my older one up, I have nine amazing children...except for this one dipshit with a 0 in every stat but intrigue. Guess which one of my kids tries to kill me? Thanks for letting me banish you, idiot.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Not much of a reward? One Invasion CB per ruler is a strong reward if you're looking for world conquest and don't want to play an Altaic Tengri Horde or the like.

Yeah, the Alexander bloodline is incredibly good. For even more craziness, land some of your kin with the bloodline and watch them really gently caress poo poo up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anti Plum posted:

Any other exploity tips like this for someone who is bad at this game? I always have a hard time transitioning from ruling everything myself to ruling thru vassals.

It's not really an exploit if it'd work in real life.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My new ruler went to Jerusalem on a pilgrimage but wasn't impressed, so he picked up Cynical. Then, he decided to emulate his legendary Crusading father who forged the Empire - starting by mimicking his Zealousness. So now I presume he's an internet atheist who can't wait to tell you about why god is dead?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

AfroSquirrel posted:

My new ruler went to Jerusalem on a pilgrimage but wasn't impressed, so he picked up Cynical. Then, he decided to emulate his legendary Crusading father who forged the Empire - starting by mimicking his Zealousness. So now I presume he's an internet atheist who can't wait to tell you about why god is dead?

Think your game glitched out, I thought Cynical and Zealous were mutually exclusive.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jesus take the wheel command.

This dude's dad died at 72, after a long life of returning the kingdom of Castille to its former glory. Enter Guillermo II, the Voice of Satan, keeper of four sins and chublord of the Homosexual Agenda. So far he has taken intrigue advice from a fish dinner, and apparently Jesus now tells him where to move his troop formations. Jesus was not a good enough tactician to save him getting his leg chopped off and dying to let his less controversial son take the throne. Guillen III's early years were fraught with civil war as he worked to clean up the mess and consolidate his power.

Of course, during this latest crusade, Guillen III's rival and captain contracted Black Death. So that's not going to be fun to deal with.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ninjahedgehog posted:

Think your game glitched out, I thought Cynical and Zealous were mutually exclusive.

A maintenance event will purge one soonish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

+fat and a beard? Dude your king is a full-blown redditor.