Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Red Crown posted:

I don't mean to pry, but did they wind up restricting you in any way? Flight status, sea duty/overseas eligibility, that kind of stuff?

As CMD said plenty of people have them. I was so close to the end when I got diagnosed that it didn't matter. But it wouldn't have hurt my flight status more than temporarily according to a flight surgeon friend of mine. So yeah, I basically avoided it for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Great Lakes got turbofucked over night. Quarters pushed to 1000, which is saying something for this place.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh good you can use the extra time to reassemble your weapon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Great Lakes got turbofucked over night. Quarters pushed to 1000, which is saying something for this place.

Suicide?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Probably the snow. It was pretty bad in the entire Chicago area last night.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress forget about that poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
NAVCENT dead.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/navy-admiral-scott-stearney-found-dead-bahrain-no-foul-play-n942611

With no details given except being a three star, I'm going to assume erotic asphyxiation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's also the "sick and tired of living in Bahrain" factor.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

He was a CO in one of the Air Wings I was in. He was a pretty good dude from what I remember.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Couple articles saying it was a suicide. So, that's bad

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Couple articles saying it was a suicide. So, that's bad

Good lord maybe this will be suicide that will make the Navy look at mental health.

lol yeah right

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Did he attend suicide prevention training?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

How edgy. :rolleyes:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ded posted:

You are not good at being an edge lord, ded.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ded posted:

McNally I need you to do it to em.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was explaining this to my girlfriend why I was laughing. I warned her the backstory was a bit dark but obliged nevertheless. I had just got as far as the initial investigation into Mrs. McNally’s suicide and big army’s asking about suicide prevention training. She dryly responded “well, I guess that’s good followup survey to see if it’s effective training.” I loving love this woman.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You are not good at being an edge lord, ded.

Did the E-4s and below under his command attend THEIR suicide prevention training?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

Did the E-4s and below under his command attend THEIR suicide prevention training?

Who the hell cares?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Who the hell cares?

It's a joke about lovely punishment. You doing ok?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Who the hell cares?

Shim whats wrong?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Who the hell cares?

The command does.

But just as a metric.

Sailors are replaceable.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Viva Miriya posted:

Shim whats wrong?

Godholio posted:

It's a joke about lovely punishment. You doing ok?

Just hate suicide + attempts at humor about suicide by people that aren’t being particularly funny. If someone dug hard enough I’m sure they could find me joking about suicide in the past, but I lost someone to suicide (again) a few months back and I’m probably just being a sensitive bitch, so feel free to ignore me, I’m actually not trying to start an argument or anything. I’ll leave the navy thread for the sailors.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Just hate suicide + attempts at humor about suicide by people that aren’t being particularly funny. If someone dug hard enough I’m sure they could find me joking about suicide in the past, but I lost someone to suicide (again) a few months back and I’m probably just being a sensitive bitch, so feel free to ignore me, I’m actually not trying to start an argument or anything. I’ll leave the navy thread for the sailors.

I hear ya and I'm sorry I contributed to it. Sorry about your loss as well man. I just assumed whenever we bring up the suicide prevention poo poo its just run of the mill black humor. You aren't wrong to feel the way you are feeling so that's why I wanted to check in. I sure the gently caress don't want to add to it man and I don't think any of us want to either. Jokes, bad or otherwise, ain't worth it.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
The suicides and motorcycle accidents get to me a lot. I'm still waiting for the news report that one of the McCain sailors or Fitz sailors ended their life. It seems that most of the crew has lingering affects in some way or another, whether PTSD or TBIs in a few cases.

I'd like to think we're getting better at providing information to our sailors and access to counselors/chaplains, but I know that that's not the case for the majority of the fleet. There are some sailors that feel like they can't tell their CoC that they need help because they won't be listened to. gently caress, look at the incident on the Shiloh with the sailor that hid in the bilges for a week. He wasn't a fantastic worker or amazing sailor, but the fact that he told the CO that he needed to get off and honestly thought that making the crew/strike group think he'd gone overboard was a better option than continuing his job says a whole hell of a lot.

As for motorcycle deaths, I'm at two sailors now. The first was a situation where the sailor had already left our command, but most of us still knew him and remembered him fondly. That was a few years ago. This second one happened over Veterans Day weekend. He was an officer at the school house (he was in a completely different field then me), and while I didn't know him personally, all its done is reaffirm that bikes are speeding death bullets. The Navy is supposedly doing everything it can for his wife and kid, but how many families don't even get that?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I still get mad when I think about my friend who shot himself due to the command treating him like poo poo and the fleet admiral threatening him with a courts martial if he did not give up the names of those who tacked on his dolphins. It's been over 22 years. Don't think I'll ever be over it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:(

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ded posted:

I still get mad when I think about my friend who shot himself due to the command treating him like poo poo and the fleet admiral threatening him with a courts martial if he did not give up the names of those who tacked on his dolphins. It's been over 22 years. Don't think I'll ever be over it.

:stare: Jesus Christ, what was going through that admiral's head? "Oh this guy who may or may not (I know things were different back then) have gotten hazed won't tell me who hazed him? I'm make him feel life poo poo and threaten to gently caress up so he fesses up!" For that matter what was that CoC thinking? Crap, sorry man that blows that happened, I'd be pissed about something like that too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Finally got assigned to a local unit for an IT billet. First time filling an IT billet so that’s nice. No more cross assigned is even better. Still got a unit supporting Hawaii so that’s nice.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
The seabees at Iwakuni have actually been employed, building trash sheds in housing...because having plastic trash cans hurled across base everytime the wind blows and then get pillaged by monster crows is something they missed in the planning stage.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Those poor Bees

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Those poor Bees

Sounds like a primer oppurtunity to hide some cock and ball carvings.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NYTimesAtWar/status/1071110601101983744

quote:

When the program started in 1996, the Navy’s contractor, Raytheon, was to deliver the new shells for ships by 2010. In anticipation, the Navy installed updated guns in 2001 that could fire both the older unguided rounds and the Extended Range Guided Munitions. But after 12 years of development and approximately $350 million spent, the contract failed to produce a reliable shell at an affordable cost — even after the Navy changed the warhead to a simpler high-explosive design. The service shut down the program in 2008. During the same period, the Navy was also experimenting with a similarly designed shell called the Ballistic Trajectory Extended Range Munition, made by Alliant Techsystems. After spending $70 million, the program was canceled in 2007.

As the development of new projectiles foundered, the Navy was simultaneously pursuing another concept: a ship with a gun of intermediate size that would fire rocket-boosted shells at targets on land. In the 1990s, it planned to build 32 new destroyers, at the cost of about $1 billion per ship, each armed with two 155-millimeter deck guns. These ships, named for Adm. Elmo Zumwalt, were designed for “land attack,” and their deck guns were to fire heavier shells at farther distances than their predecessors’ five-inch guns.

With the ships in production, the Navy then spent $700 million to have BAE Systems and Lockheed Martin develop the Long Range Land Attack Projectile for the Zumwalt deck gun. It also came to nothing. The Navy originally intended to build 32 Zumwalt-class destroyers — a number that dwindled over time. In 2016, the Navy cut the number of land-attack ships to just three. Sharply unfavorable economies of scale drove the purchase price for the shells above $1 million per shot, rivaling the cost of the Tomahawk cruise missile, which has a 1,000-mile range. The shells became too expensive to buy, and the ammunition program for the Zumwalt-class destroyers was soon canceled. In December 2017, the Navy announced that its “land-attack” ships were “surface-strike” ships that would engage other vessels at sea instead of targets ashore.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Could've bought 700+ tomahawks and probably gotten a discount.

Is the point of these so a single ship could transport troops and provide support fire for an amphibious landing or something? Seems like if we were landing Marines on a contested beachead there'd be more than just a destroyer or two in the area

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 8, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is the point of these so a single ship could transport troops and provide support fire for an amphibious landing or something? Seems like if we were landing Marines on a contested beachead there'd be more than just a destroyer or two in the area

The entirety of USMC aviation exists because they think they'll be alone.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

The entirety of USMC aviation exists because they think they'll be alone.

REMEMBER GUADALCANAL !!!!!!111

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
That’s why they ride around on Navy ships, right?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Could've bought 700+ tomahawks and probably gotten a discount.

The following is entirely conjecture
Tomahawks are nice, but they're part of a precision warfare mindset. The capacity is too low and the cost too high to fill the same role as shore bombardment, which can effect more like highly mobile and extremely potent artillery in its cost per effect and the duration of it's sustainment.

Destroyers only have a 13mi range (src: Wikipedia) on their 5in gun, the largest currently in the American fleet, which means that the support from a destroyer can only reliably reach that+ distance to safe water from the destroyer. Compared to the 24 mi of a battleships 16 inch, with a 2,700 lb payload that dwarfs a tomahawk and a price point likely considerably cheaper (when crew size isn't part of the math), and you can start to see a capability gap--at least compared to what military thinkers putting on O-6 in the 90s thought. You can tomahawk the poo poo out of something, but a ddg will tap itself after 4 days of hourly fire support missions if it used tomahawks for that purpose, only one per hour AND that destroyer didn't utilize any of it's VLSs for air defense

So, the thought seems to be: make us a gun to support troops at a more reasonable sustainment and price point. The requirements exceeded capability, and for asymmetic warfare the costs of aircraft and missiles weren't prohibitive since enemy forces were never amassed or capable of denial. The price point swells and the original intent is lost in the beauacracy. Someone makes a bullet more expensive than an airplane and finally the runaway train is halted.

piL fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 8, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
THe issue there is that you have a completely wrong cost per effect measure.

Modern PGMs are close enough to a 1:1 body per bomb floor. If a pgm costs a million but is guarenteed to kill at least the single personn it’s aimed at the its still close to 3x as cost effective as mass bombardment of an area where you think hostiles are. There is always the vague and unquantifiable value of morale loss to enemy infantry from constant unguided bombardment but I’ll leabs that as an exercise for the Airpower thread. Per your example even classic 16” guns aren’t nearly as cost effective as modern munitions.

Another way to think of it is that if a pgm takes out a bunker or a tank or a single infantryman it was worth it because of the guaranteed kill without accidental collateral.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

M_Gargantua posted:

THe issue there is that you have a completely wrong cost per effect measure.

Modern PGMs are close enough to a 1:1 body per bomb floor. If a pgm costs a million but is guarenteed to kill at least the single personn it’s aimed at the its still close to 3x as cost effective as mass bombardment of an area where you think hostiles are. There is always the vague and unquantifiable value of morale loss to enemy infantry from constant unguided bombardment but I’ll leabs that as an exercise for the Airpower thread. Per your example even classic 16” guns aren’t nearly as cost effective as modern munitions.

Another way to think of it is that if a pgm takes out a bunker or a tank or a single infantryman it was worth it because of the guaranteed kill without accidental collateral.

I don't mean to say that I agree with the calculus, but in the 90s when they came up with it, people were looking at 40 years of warplans that assume 24 mi bombardment, not 13. Those 11 miles is the difference between ground troops fighting with support ending just outside of downtown LA (congrats on occupying Inglewood) vice support ending just outside of Anaheim (who wants Anaheim anyway).

I think 24 to 13 itself was enough to cause people to throw money at the problem, but there's also a fundamental difference between a missile and a shell when it comes to denial. A quarter inch fragment of anti-air artillery or missile (e.g. RAM) is a mission kill to a cruise missle; it's a rounding error to a 1 ton+ shell. This means that a denial strategy's probability of kill vice TLAM is higher than with a normal shell. I suspect that calculus is altered once you add rocket boosters and stabilizer fins to the payload, but that's probably after the initial motivation to pursue the technology.

My point is that bombardment has a quality independent of its own distinct from precision strike that affects what options a commander has. The program may have failed to meet requirements and those requirements may have been doomed from the start, but the answer isn't as simple as, 'tomahawks do the same job but better further', and I'm mostly trying to defend that maintaining bombardment capability after decomming big guns isn't just some absurd failure of our senior military analysts to recognize that missiles exist.

piL fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 8, 2018