Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Byzantine posted:

The Inca and Ethiopia, just offhand.

Reminded by your name - Civ is also lacking the Eastern Roman Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Brother Entropy posted:

are there really any big names we're missing that should've gotten in over canada?

Well it depends on what you mean by big name. There are plenty of civs that haven't been chsoen, but they're nto household names due to not being white

Examples:

Africa:

Ashanti Empire
Ajuran Sultanate (or really any of the Somali Empires, since they did Ethiopia and they were contemporary and as powerful)
Swahili Trading Empires (Though that's Zanzibar, which has appeared as a city state)
And if you're gonna do civs like the Mapuche, who were never politically unified except as a resistance to colonialism, you could do some of the large ethnic groups like the Igbo or the Hausa, who have very distinct cultural touchstones to work with.

Asia:

Maybe a Turkic empire other than the Mongols? If you can have Scotalnad and England, why not the Mugals or the Seljuqs?
Laos (Which historically had the greatest name as the Kingdom of a Million Elephants Under the White Parasol)

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Has there been any discussion of a Civ6 SDK? I recall the Civ5 SDK being released after the third expansion, should we expect something similar or nah?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sedge and Bee posted:

Well it depends on what you mean by big name. There are plenty of civs that haven't been chsoen, but they're nto household names due to not being white

Examples:

Africa:

Ashanti Empire
Ajuran Sultanate (or really any of the Somali Empires, since they did Ethiopia and they were contemporary and as powerful)
Swahili Trading Empires (Though that's Zanzibar, which has appeared as a city state)
And if you're gonna do civs like the Mapuche, who were never politically unified except as a resistance to colonialism, you could do some of the large ethnic groups like the Igbo or the Hausa, who have very distinct cultural touchstones to work with.

Asia:

Maybe a Turkic empire other than the Mongols? If you can have Scotalnad and England, why not the Mugals or the Seljuqs?
Laos (Which historically had the greatest name as the Kingdom of a Million Elephants Under the White Parasol)

I think you'd find it sort of hard to bring in an Igbo leader although you could probably use the Nri as a base and work off that really easily for Civ since it's pretty broad brush strokes.
I was expecting the Khmer again, or even like...Brunei? Just something that's not another colonial civ that has loads of people with money buying the game.

No Ethiopia is madness though.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

This discussion made me try to remember what the civs were in the original Civilization, so I brought up it's Wikipedia article. Skimming through it, I found this discussion of the development of the original game, which caught my eye:

quote:

Computer Gaming World reported in 1994 that "Sid Meier has stated on numerous occasions that he emphasizes the 'fun parts' of a simulation and throws out the rest".[12] He eliminated the potential for any civilization to fall on its own, believing this would be punishing to the player.[11] Meier omitted multiplayer alliances because the computer used them too effectively, causing players to think that it was cheating. He said that by contrast, minefields and minesweepers caused the computer to do "stupid things ... If you've got a feature that makes the AI look stupid, take it out. It's more important not to have stupid AI than to have good AI". Meier also omitted jets and helicopters because he thought players would not find obtaining new technologies in the endgame useful, and online multiplayer support because of the small number of online players ("if you had friends, you wouldn't need to play computer games"); he also did not believe that online play worked well with turn-based play.[11]

So maybe Sid Meier had some good ideas, his love for modern European nation-states as civs notwithstanding...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Khmer are in the game, though. They were the last of the pre-R&F DLC set.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Khmer are in the game, though. They were the last of the pre-R&F DLC set.

So they are, I forgot about the Indonesia/Khmer DLC.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

So maybe Sid Meier had some good ideas, his love for modern European nation-states as civs notwithstanding...

I don't think he's got anything to do with the development any longer honestly.

It's interesting to see that Civ6 is being review bombed at the moment because they've put adverts for Civ6 into Civ5.
That feels kind of desperate.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

quote:

I don't think he's got anything to do with the development any longer honestly.

Clearly as the current developers took the above-bolded sentiment and twisted it to "The AI should play to lose, so who cares if it sucks at X".

quote:

It's interesting to see that Civ6 is being review bombed at the moment because they've put adverts for Civ6 into Civ5.
That feels kind of desperate.

Meh I hate when I notice old software has an update, I apply it, and then I get adverts for a new version/some other software made by that company for the rest of time. If you MUST do that, at least make a final, meaningful, update to the old software at the same time.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 2, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Clearly as the current developers took the above-bolded sentiment and twisted it to "The AI should play to lose, so who cares if it sucks at X".

Meh I hate when I notice old software has an update, I apply it, and then I get adverts for a new version/some other software made by that company for the rest of time. If you MUST do that, at least make a final, meaningful, update to the old software at the same time.

No I'm agreeing with the people bombing it, I'm calling Firaxis desperate.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

quote:

"if you had friends, you wouldn't need to play computer games"

Title for this subforum.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

Title for this subforum.

Had the same thought when pasting that paragraph lol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Taear posted:

Not really, those civilizations could have "stood the test of time" in the way that other names have carried on for so long.
Whereas American cavemen is as weird as Lunar Coalition cavemen.

Americans as cavemen seems weird, says local man who's apparently slept through the last two years

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

webmeister posted:

Americans as cavemen seems weird, says local man who's apparently slept through the last two years

Pretty harsh to assume cavemen are dumb.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also they’re not cavemen. Civ V’s tech tree started with all civs having discovered Agriculture, which I thought was a nice touch.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

Title for this subforum.

Talk about an idea that stands the test of time!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This discussion made me try to remember what the civs were in the original Civilization, so I brought up it's Wikipedia article. Skimming through it, I found this discussion of the development of the original game, which caught my eye:

Easy to forget that Sid Meier knew exactly what he was doing and I find no lies detected in those quotes. Even the seemingly now-farfecthed idea of online play not being conducive to turn-based games still has a lot of merit, love it as I may.

It's also distressing in how many ways Civ V and VI do the exact opposite of what Sid is saying here.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PhantomZero posted:

Has there been any discussion of a Civ6 SDK? I recall the Civ5 SDK being released after the third expansion, should we expect something similar or nah?

What 3rd expansion? Civ V only had two expansions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

Not really, those civilizations could have "stood the test of time" in the way that other names have carried on for so long.
Whereas American cavemen is as weird as Lunar Coalition cavemen.

And as weird as Aztec tanks, Celtic battleships, Babylonian riflemen, and Zulu jet fighters. English cavemen are weird, too, England as a concept didn't exist until long after that stage.

Their names have carried on, but the civilizations themselves are dead and buried.

Again, to me, if you're going to exclude nations like America for being 'too new' then you shouldn't include 19th or 20th century material at all. The United States did, after all, invent the atomic bomb, pioneered heavier than air flight, created the internet, and put a man on the moon. And it's done most of that in just one hundred years. If the US disappears tomorrow, its impact on history will never be forgotten.

Hell, Germany as a country is younger than the United States.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 2, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also they’re not cavemen. Civ V’s tech tree started with all civs having discovered Agriculture, which I thought was a nice touch.

Neolithic is still part of the stone age, it's right there in the name :colbert:

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

What 3rd expansion? Civ V only had two expansions.

My mistake, I meant the 2nd expansion. The third "version" of Civ5 if you will.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I still play civ1msdos and, haha umm, used to be the civfanatics civ1 moderator. He had so many ideas that were ready to be implemented but cut the game to the bone. The maps were meant to be four or five times as big with terrain features being more tactical and local. The terrain features stayed at that resolution in terms of rivers, farms, etc but the WORLD map made small so civs would bump into each other early.

I sometimes play CIV VI but mostly its civ1 and Civ 4 with Realism Invictus installed. Honestly that mod is the most mad thing. Just browsing its civpedia is a trip. So many leaders, civs and units. All as differentiated as a bowl of oatmeal but still.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Taear posted:

I think you'd find it sort of hard to bring in an Igbo leader although you could probably use the Nri as a base and work off that really easily for Civ since it's pretty broad brush strokes.
I was expecting the Khmer again, or even like...Brunei? Just something that's not another colonial civ that has loads of people with money buying the game.

No Ethiopia is madness though.

Given that they included Georgia, and the Netherlands, small kingdoms like Nri seem like they should be fine.

And yeah, Ethiopia not being there is pretty bad, and I feel like they think Nubia covers it, but again, Scotland and England

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Taear posted:

I'd be fine with like.... 500 years. I'm absolutely okay with native American nations and etc but having colonial nations as cavemen feels weird, that's all. I get that they include places because people from those places play the game and want to be included and I think it's fair.

It may surprise you to learn that the Roman Empire didn't start out as cavemen either. Neither did France. Actually, almost none of the empires seen in the games did, if any at all. All civilizations are built on the ones that came before them, something that the Civilization games have always ignored from the very premise.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Any factions other than the Caucasoids, Negroids, Capoids, Mongoloids, and Australoids are invalid.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

Any factions other than the Caucasoids, Negroids, Capoids, Mongoloids, and Poland are invalid

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Brother Entropy posted:

are there really any big names we're missing that should've gotten in over canada?

Mayan and Ethiopian are the ones I'm mad about :argh:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Given that Leaders and Civs are finally different things, I'm hoping the second VI xpac lets us play custom civs by mixing and matching. That would rule.

It would also quell much of the roster debates, as you could just add civs/leaders/whatever à la carte.

Oh hey, that would open up a lot of city states to make an easy jump to Civ. Just give them a new leader and assign them to a relevant Civ. Change the capitol to the City-State's name and blammo you have a 2 dollar DLC. I'll take my royalties whenever Sid.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
According to leaks R&F will add Eleanor of Aquitaine, as a leader for England OR France. No indication they're thinking of making it a common mechanic, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Hell, Germany as a country is younger than the United States.

Germany as a concept isn't.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

what's your opinion on paradox games

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Cuchulain posted:

That they belong in their own thread.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

That they belong in their own thread.

His opinion as a concept doesn't :v:

Seriously though. People get real weird about "acceptable" Civs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Civ VI manages to be as inclusive as can be expected from a mediocre triple A game with a fanbase that is far more interested as conquering the world as their own country than historical accuracy and inclusion. VI does have some nice touches like getting rid of leaders like Stalin and Montezuma II and Australia having a bunch of Aboriginal names for their units and modern Aztec units getting Mexican names which I feel are underappreciated.

Colonial civs all date back to the Renaissance era, which isn’t even the halfway point of the game timeline.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 3, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think Civ VI manages to be as inclusive as can be expected from a mediocre triple A game with a fanbase that is far more interested as conquering the world as their own country than historical accuracy and inclusion. VI does have some nice touches like getting rid of leaders like Stalin and Montezuma II and Australia having a bunch of Aboriginal names for their units and modern Aztec units getting Mexican names which I feel are underappreciated.

I don't like the Aztec units getting Mexican names, because Aztec isn't Mexico. Mexico is what happened after they were all subsumed by a colonial power and it's strange to celebrate that fact.
Just add Mexico! If you're doing Brazil and Canada and stuff there's really no reason not to.

Cuchulain posted:

I preferred the narrative driven EU2 to the more random decision driven EU3.

I'm a narrative player, I like being rewarded for doing sort of...historical stuff. Taking Vienna as the Ottomans and whatever. I played EU2 to play a historical simulation that allows me to change how things really went whereas EU3 was more JUST conquer Berlin and 3 other places to make Germany which isn't the same.
That ties to how I play Civ really and why which civs are included matters more to me than others.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Taear posted:

I don't like the Aztec units getting Mexican names, because Aztec isn't Mexico. Mexico is what happened after they were all subsumed by a colonial power and it's strange to celebrate that fact.
Just add Mexico! If you're doing Brazil and Canada and stuff there's really no reason not to.

China was subsumed by conquering powers like a billion times yet we still call them China. Should the civ be split into like a dozen different distinct dynasties?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

I preferred the narrative driven EU2 to the more random decision driven EU3.

I'm a narrative player, I like being rewarded for doing sort of...historical stuff. Taking Vienna as the Ottomans and whatever. I played EU2 to play a historical simulation that allows me to change how things really went whereas EU3 was more JUST conquer Berlin and 3 other places to make Germany which isn't the same.
That ties to how I play Civ really and why which civs are included matters more to me than others.

Respectfully, a game series where you can have the Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Ottoman Empire, and Venetian Republic all on the map together as independent powers, while a Shoshone-Egyptian-Indonesian alliance join together under the banner of communism may not be for you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Clarste posted:

China was subsumed by conquering powers like a billion times yet we still call them China. Should the civ be split into like a dozen different distinct dynasties?

Sure, sounds like a good idea.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Cuchulain posted:

Given that Leaders and Civs are finally different things, I'm hoping the second VI xpac lets us play custom civs by mixing and matching. That would rule.

But the current mix seems to be balanced so that you don't always have two really powerful abilities. For example I don't get much use out of Gilgamesh's leader ability, but his units are super powerful - switch the leader out for a useful one and you'll be even more powerful.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I wouldn't mind playing Barbarossa's Greece and just start the game with 4 government slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Aight I'll be 100% honest here. I'm ULTRA happy that the Incas are finally IN baby (I'm Peruvian for those you don't know). And somehow ALL your incesant bitching about "waaaahh white history this" "waaaaah white history that" is draining the fun out of it. Like holy loving poo poo, do you guys spout this poo poo only to gain internet points or something? or are you somehow really on a crusade on the evils of white man in gaming.

My god, enjoy stuff. You are all white to me and the more you bitch about white stuff you sound WAY more white to me. Like, I'm totally picturing Taear as the whitest guy there it is. I feel bad just typing this but holt poo poo the ammount of negativity in here takes its toll.