Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Best animated features starring cats:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat

Uh, Kiki's Delivery Service?

This is harder than I thought.

the lion king

... unless we're discounting big cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Cat Came Back

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh gently caress you for posting this, now I'm crying in the middle of the day over a Garfield cartoon.

I have poo poo to do today Pick! I don't have time for all these bittersweet cat emotions I'm now feeling! :cry:

I always think I'm going to make it but I cry at that drat cat cartoon every freakin time!!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Oh gently caress you for posting this, now I'm crying in the middle of the day over a Garfield cartoon.

I have poo poo to do today Pick! I don't have time for all these bittersweet cat emotions I'm now feeling! :cry:

it was a very good short

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 3, 2018

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Pick posted:

Don't forget Garfield short, Diana's Piano! click

What the hell, Garfield?!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

I always think I'm going to make it but I cry at that drat cat cartoon every freakin time!!

This is the first time I've seen it. I need to remember to hydrate before I ever watch it again.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I cried the first time I saw that when I was 12 and now I'm doing it again at 30. I loving KNEW BETTER.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nobody remembers Gay Purr-ee? (Or is it just not liked?) As a kid I always got it confused with The Aristocats but I think I like it slightly better.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

All I recall is it had essentially feline sex slavery, and that Chuck Jones ended up getting fired over it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It’s not very good. It’s not as bad as that other chick jones movie about the kid who goes to wonderland except it’s as imagined by an old white guy who constantly condescends to you

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Uncle Wemus posted:

Does disney really need Pixar as a separate entity anymore

Absolutely. The Pixar name has huge brand recognition.

I think there's a noticeable difference in a lot of people's minds in going to see a Disney movie and going to see a Pixar movie.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If that didn't suit your taste, maybe you might like the next part of that short.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat

The Itchy & Scratchy Movie

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Itchy & Scratchy Movie

I feel like people would get pretty tired of seeing that movie by now.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The book that special was based on is worth checking out. Most of the segments in the show come from the book, but the book also had a few that weren't adapted, such as a noir where all the characters are anthropomorphic cats, and one story that absolutely freaked me out as a kid: A house cat is possessed, becomes feral, and presumably mauls his elderly owner to death.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

BioEnchanted posted:

So I take it no one else has read Reflection then? It's a really interesting take on the culture and characters.

I actually didn't know that series of books existed! I was obsessed with Mulan as a kid so I'm grabbing it from the library. Didn't read your spoiler completely, either :v: so I'm really looking forward to it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

big dyke energy posted:

I actually didn't know that series of books existed! I was obsessed with Mulan as a kid so I'm grabbing it from the library. Didn't read your spoiler completely, either :v: so I'm really looking forward to it.

Cool, let me know what you think, I'm curious if I just have bad taste :v:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man Garfield's nine lives was a trip

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Yeah, Jim Davis can honestly put out some pretty decent stuff when he actually tries (see also: Garfield & Friends, most of the animated specials).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

nerdman42 posted:

I feel like people would get pretty tired of seeing that movie by now.

No one who saw the movie would say that!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Uncle Wemus posted:

The Garfield's nine lives animated special and book are both worth checking out.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Jim Davis can honestly put out some pretty decent stuff when he actually tries (see also: Garfield & Friends, most of the animated specials).

I went back and watched some of the old Garfield and Friends cartoons because I was feeling nostalgic and I was surprised by how funny a lot of them are. It's one of those childhood shows that holds up pretty well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I cried the first time I saw that when I was 12 and now I'm doing it again at 30. I loving KNEW BETTER.

Every drat time, I don't know how it does it! :psyduck:

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat

The Mousehole Cat

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Garfield in general was a lot better than people gave it credit for, I'm not sure what the exact turning point is for when the comic became too rigidly formulaic but for a lot of its life it was fun and goofy and the formulas were often subverted.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like to meet a Ralph from a fangame where he's the hero saving Felix from something. Or a terrible fangame where Felix turns evil and starts using his fixing powers to close up the Grand Canyon and poo poo.

He meets ralph.exe, who cries hyper realistic blood.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Garfield's nine lives animated special and book are both worth checking out.

I went back and watched some of the old Garfield and Friends cartoons because I was feeling nostalgic and I was surprised by how funny a lot of them are. It's one of those childhood shows that holds up pretty well.

And you can feel the thinly veiled contempt the writers had for broadcasting standards and practices that often breathed down the necks of writers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

And you can feel the thinly veiled contempt the writers had for broadcasting standards and practices that often breathed down the necks of writers.

It's basically the entire reason the Buddy Bears exist after all (that and to mock the whole group mentality thing that was present in a lot of kids cartoons at the time).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought animation was dead but it turns out NEO YOKIO IS COMING BACK

I have no idea why they'd do this!! But I'm so loving jazzed!!!!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I finally got around to watching the Teen Titans Go movie.

What a joy that movie is. Everyone else has talked about it to death months ago but, a few things stuck out to me:

The movie uses a ton of different animation styles constantly and it's very fun.
The background art is gorgeous, I was constantly struck by how pretty and colorful it all is.
There's this whole meta thing with Robin wanting to have his own movie, but... you're watching a Teen Titans movie. So you're watching a Robin movie, but Robin is trying to get a movie so most of the movie you're like "man I hope he gets his own movie" but... you ARE watching a Robin movie! It's the most Teen Titans Go way to go about a movie ever.

Also everyone talks about the original Teen Titans stinger in the credits, but NO one talks about the way better thing that happens right before the credits start: Robin coming right up the screen and shoutting KIDS! ASK YOUR PARENTS WERE BABIES COME FROM. Holy poo poo :lol:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
cross post from genchat: Japanese Animated Film Classics archive selection of the day: Spring Comes to Ponsuke (Ikuo Oishi, 1934) http://animation.filmarchives.jp/en/works/play/91355

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Pick posted:

I thought animation was dead but it turns out NEO YOKIO IS COMING BACK

I have no idea why they'd do this!! But I'm so loving jazzed!!!!!!

Neo Yokio is the only piece of high art we ever need in our society. Praise the yokio, embrace the yokio, give more yokio.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I wonder how many of the creative crew will be different, given that Neo Yokio was actually made for the now defunct Animation Domination Hi-Def block and the finished eps were in some purgatory state for like a year before Netflix picked up the rights (and a lot of the ADHD people moved onto other shows)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Larryb posted:

It's basically the entire reason the Buddy Bears exist after all (that and to mock the whole group mentality thing that was present in a lot of kids cartoons at the time).

the only show that dunked harder on BS&P harder than Garifeld is Reboot.

god drat, the Reboot of Reboot is so loving bad.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

K. Waste posted:

It’s not very good. It’s not as bad as that other chick jones movie about the kid who goes to wonderland except it’s as imagined by an old white guy who constantly condescends to you

Is this referencing Phantom Tollbooth? I remember it being as overtly “I’m clever” as the source material, but I don’t remember it being especially bad.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

dirksteadfast posted:

Is this referencing Phantom Tollbooth? I remember it being as overtly “I’m clever” as the source material, but I don’t remember it being especially bad.

It is Phantom Tollbooth. That's the only movie of his I can think of that did it. I feel though that the source book is almost as bad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
In general, Chuck Jones' non-short work is really strained. Like, compare anything in The Phantom Tollbooth to The Bear That Wasn't.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I recall Phantom Tollbooth suffering massively from pacing issues and lingering too much on rather uninteresting things (like Milo spending too much time going in and out of the booth to show off the live action/animation transition)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Macaluso posted:

Robin coming right up the screen and shoutting KIDS! ASK YOUR PARENTS WERE BABIES COME FROM. Holy poo poo :lol:

My wife nearly broke herself laughing at that.

The part of the movie that just got me right in the heart is how they start the movie with this incredibly cringy song and then redeem it at the end. I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing. I was laughcrying throughout the whole final battle.

Movie was good enough that my wife reconsidered her opinion of TTG as a whole.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

i have watched it enough to know that i do not need to watch it again, especially now that my old cat passed away earlier this year. I can just skip past the blubbering and tears sitting on my bed part and go straight to the hugging my new cats part.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1070104224057442304

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

I'm okay with this.