Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ewiley posted:

So someone leaked a classified CIA report on Khashoggi's death to the WSJ, seems relatively damning.

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1068732852278386688

Didn't Mike Pomp just come out the other day and say the CIA had no evidence?
Yesterday infact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Getting there, but it was no accident.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

i am harry posted:

Didn't Mike Pomp just come out the other day and say the CIA had no evidence?
Yesterday infact.

Why do you think this leaked, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

NoDamage posted:

Agreed, but why does she seem like the only person willing to say these things out loud? The entire Democratic party should have been dunking on Republicans for their idiotic approach to health care for the past several years.

Because the Dem party dunking on the GOP for their idiotic approach to healthcare would mean having to showcase their own idiotic approach of $7,000/year deductibles for people making $17,000/year, and the fact that "the bending of the cost curve" in medical costs is due, for the first time, to sick people not being able to afford to use their insurance "coverage."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nixon much like W was smart enough to repaint his legacy and have friends to help do that. they did it in different ways(nixon through charisma and wonkery and W through charity) it sucks but i take joy in knowing trump isn't smart enough to pull that poo poo off.

You are literally the first person to ever use charisma and Nixon in the same sentence, wtf am I reading?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NoDamage posted:

Agreed, but why does she seem like the only person willing to say these things out loud? The entire Democratic party should have been dunking on Republicans for their idiotic approach to health care for the past several years.

Because all the established old centrist Democrats are taking tons of money from insurance companies too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You are literally the first person to ever use charisma and Nixon in the same sentence, wtf am I reading?

Yeah uh... that's... not a word I would apply to Tricky Dick.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Tired that you won the presidency yet, Donald? Then just quit. Like everything you do that goes wrong, just loving leave.

Donnie normally loves photo opes, like he literally crashed some hospitals cancer charity event and literally stole a stage seat from a real donor so he could appear in pictures pretending he donated money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

right wingers self owning is just the best.

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1069384857099354112

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Vaporized in one shot.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah uh... that's... not a word I would apply to Tricky Dick.

Nixon with charisma? My God...I could rule the universe! :nixon:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait 3 trillion dollars a year is like the whole federal budget isn't it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

32 trillion would be slightly less than half of the globe's gdp.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oh I know, but if you read his books and listen to his poo poo long enough ( my capstone progress was on Nixon and the history of his legacy in America) he was a man in many faces and knew how to play people. He was an evil gently caress but he was smart as gently caress in a lot of ways.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The United States already spends 3.8 trillion a year on healthcare costs. Obviously this isn't all by the federal government, but if you roll in what we spend on Medicare, Medicaid, ACA subsidies, federal employee healthcare benefits, and VA healthcare, which would all be made obsolete by M4A, you almost get there anyways.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

it's many billions of dollars less than we currently spend on healthcare

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arglebargle III posted:

3/4, although 1 trillion goes to medicare medicaid et al

Mantis42 posted:

The United States already spends 3.8 trillion a year on healthcare costs. Obviously this isn't all by the federal government, but if you roll in what we spend on Medicare, Medicaid, ACA subsidies, federal employee healthcare benefits, and VA healthcare, which would all be made obsolete by M4A, you almost get there anyways.

more like halfway but yeah

eke out posted:

i mean, a hundred probably does qualify as 'many', but we can also reasonably expect that it'll knock down healthcare costs over the longer term as people seek preventative care (and, ideally, the big scary government monopoly can negotiate better)

also the fact that medicaid/medicare are more efficient than most current insurers, and doctors having to deal with the web of insurers is a cost of its own, and

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 3, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

her mentions are hilarious because all the morons don't realize you have to count how much we spend on private healthcare to compare it to. none of these people realize the tax increase for m4a isn't on top of what you pay now - you wouldn't be paying any of that. i ran into that reasoning at work i dunno how people can't grasp such a simple fact.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, he deleted these, so here they are:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

her mentions are hilarious because all the morons don't realize you have to count how much we spend on private healthcare to compare it to. none of these people realize the tax increase for m4a isn't on top of what you pay now - you wouldn't be paying any of that. i ran into that reasoning at work i dunno how people can't grasp such a simple fact.

Not to mention that a higher availability of preventative care pays HUGE dividends down the road.

VVV I wish, although then entire administration would then become very susceptible to Grassy Knolls, courtesy of the rich

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 3, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

At this point you could probably cover a lot of the costs just by undoing the Trump tax cuts.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mantis42 posted:

At this point you could probably cover a lot of the costs just by undoing the Trump tax cuts.

The worst figure I've heard for the cost of Medicare for All is 3.2 trillion per year, and that's from a libertarian think tank. The Trump tax cuts cost us 1.8 trillion per year. So we'd be over halfway there at the very least, probably significantly more.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

eke out posted:

And almost everyone will pay less in new taxes than they save in health insurance and other health care costs. If you're severely underinsuring yourself, you'll pay more but will no longer be at risk for medical bankruptcy.

Even better for cost savings, our current health care spending is based on the wildly irregular billing practices encouraged by the current system. MFA could shave billions out of that figure by virtue of being a single, heavyweight negotiator.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But think of all those jobs you’d lose when hospitals don’t need a whole division of people doing overly complicated billing procedures ~farts~

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Chilichimp posted:

https://twitter.com/lindeeloo_who/status/1069349075592593409

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Invalid Validation posted:

But think of all those jobs you’d lose when hospitals don’t need a whole division of people doing overly complicated billing procedures ~farts~

Put them to work harvesting jars of money buried in abandoned mine shafts

Tell them that it's still hurting poor people in order to keep them motivated

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

think about the bankruptcy lawyers out of work when there are tens of thousands fewer filed because of crushing medical debts every year

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Fun fact, public spending on healthcare in the U.S. (i.e. existing spending on medicare, medicaid, VA, etc. ) is already more expensive than the NHS by any measure--per capita, as % of GDP, you name it. And private spending in the US is obviously astronomically higher than in the U.K.

So our taxpayer funded healthcare already costs as much as the NHS while providing care for only a fraction of the population, and then we spend hundreds of billions/trillions dollars on insurance and other private healthcare spending on top of that. We are truly fuckups.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm a self-identifying moderate, and I say gently caress GHWB up his dead rear end in a top hat, and bring on the 1000-reign of AOC.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/ocasio2018/status/1069394922636222464?s=21

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Morbus posted:

Fun fact, public spending on healthcare in the U.S. (i.e. existing spending on medicare, medicaid, VA, etc. ) is already more expensive than the NHS by any measure--per capita, as % of GDP, you name it. And private spending in the US is obviously astronomically higher than in the U.K.

So our taxpayer funded healthcare already costs as much as the NHS while providing care for only a fraction of the population, and then we spend hundreds of billions/trillions dollars on insurance and other private healthcare spending on top of that. We are truly fuckups.

The US healthcare system is truly awful at efficiently providing healthcare. It is, however, a triumph of wealth redistribution from the poorest to the richest.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

lol

I hope they never stop trying to dunk on her, they're so far out of their league and it's great

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

If anyone doesn't understand how MFA really shines, think about the power of collective bargaining when you're talking about 400mil people and what they're going to collectively choose to pay for medications, or services. It's the free market, but instead of corporations giving us bullshit price plans, it's the other way around.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
drat she is merciless

https://twitter.com/ocasio2018/status/1069400579766661121?s=21

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Gort posted:

The US healthcare system is truly awful at efficiently providing healthcare. It is, however, a triumph of wealth redistribution from the poorest to the richest.

Nope, it's pretty poo poo at that too. For example, Health Care as a sector has had market performance of about ~240% over the last 10 years, which is OK compared to the S&P500 at ~180%. But Information Technology has gained 360% over the same time period, and Consumer Discretionary about 370%. So if, instead of our current stupid clusterfuck of a system, we just implemented universal healthcare and then invested the savings into Fart Apps and Chipotle like good Rational Actors, rich fuckers would have accumulated even more wealth.

There is no reason for American Healthcare other than American Stupidity.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

i am harry posted:

If anyone doesn't understand how MFA really shines, think about the power of collective bargaining when you're talking about 400mil people and what they're going to collectively choose to pay for medications, or services. It's the free market, but instead of corporations giving us bullshit price plans, it's the other way around.

mmm excuse me but everyone knows that isurance is a magical ritual where i give money to a company to burn and they give me a piece of paper that says I get The Healthcare.

also I am a ssj 0.000000001% and therefore derserve the best while everyone else not me get poo poo.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Chilichimp posted:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol

I hope they never stop trying to dunk on her, they're so far out of their league and it's great
Fortunately, they don't think they are getting slammed. They think that comments like Huck's are actually good.

Everyone has that social media friend who shares dad joke level slams like they are gold.

edit: v - we don't deserve her

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 3, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

She is so good at this and these old morons can't help themselves.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Oh thank god

https://twitter.com/StormyDaniels/status/1069355191336603649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Charisma 's the wrong word, but he could make his cantankerousness look like a 'shtick' at times which takes at least some level of showmanship. He's was more entertaining to watch than HW Bush at least.