Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Jaded Burnout posted:

that’s totes a thing that people do on anniversaries though

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i now realize two things:

1. a black hand grenade on a white background could very well easily be misunderstood as a far-right symbol

2. even if it's not and someone recognizes me as a goon, that's hardly any better

e:
this pretty much proves my point

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 2, 2018

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

yeah that's why i'm careful not to carry anything like that outside the house because hooooo boy could that get me in some trouble.

oh uh today the trim off of my upstairs window blew off my house and i get to have my first real adventure as a house-haver climbing a big ol' ladder three stories to nail some ugly rear end metal back up! and the wind gusts are 50+ mph! exciting times. also i hope everyone close to St Louis and southern Illinois is okay; the tornado was pretty bad in Urbana apparently and there were lots of people with major house damage. if you need a generator let me know; i have access to several plus our stores aren't sold out.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thanks for the feedback, friendos! Let me address your points real fast then I'll let the conversation go back to hellos and chats:

Yes, the big black grenade on a bright cotton panel is semi-dangerous feeling, and that's totally by design. My feeling on the SA brand is it's tuned juuuust barely over the line of appropriateness- we're not here to out-and-out shock, just make you vaguely uncomfortable. I love brands like that, think Banksy or, for a retro ref, Ralph Steadman. And, it's actually not as bad as it was- originally Lowtax wanted the fully rendered modern grenade logo, I turned it into a silhouette to better adhere to the POD guidelines. Because it's a silhouette and it's not life-size (it prints out far larger than a real hand-grenade) it makes it past the rules on every vendor I looked at, and is not technically illegal in places like airports. That said of course there are places you probably shouldn't wear your bomb-bag! But lots of clothing isn't appropriate for a synagogue or a day-care center, that doesn't mean you shouldn't own it. I think it means you should!

The "1998-2018" bit is the traditional way to celebrate an anniversary for a sports team- I volunteered at a community clothing bank for years and have seen literal tons of sports franchise, charity fun-run, etc merchandise and they are all labeled that way. "Since 1998" is interesting but it screams "family-owned grocery store" to me, while "1998-2018"'s adherance to sports team standards is very fitting considering SA's most popular existing line of merch is the "City Name Sports Team" line. That it also looks like a tombstone I think is perfect, considering the "the forums are dead" jokes. I don't want to avoid that self-demeaning humor, I want to embrace it!

The real sticking point is going to be are people willing to spend 25 bucks on these things, and can we actually get them out there before the year is over...

Edit- oh, and as to the alt-right thing, I asked a friend who was an honest-to-goodness munitions expert in the marines, and he told me, verbatim, "Nobody in the know would think that's a german grenade, nazi grenades had big wooden handles for throwing. That's a modern grenade first-off, and secodly if anything the pineapple-style grenade is an allies symbol." So it's actually anti-nazi!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 2, 2018

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

okay but will it actually help me return my overdue library books

BoldFrankensteinMir

hamjobs posted:

okay but will it actually help me return my overdue library books

Yes, it WILL tote! That much I'm (reasonably) certain of.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Current mood: some dude is demanding pictures of my feet on Facebook, because apparently his friend is dying and needs cheering up.

I told him one foot is $700 but I'll give him a discount, $1200 is a steal for two feet. No guarantee they're human, or mine. Dude is now mad women can vote.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

hamjobs posted:

Current mood: some dude is demanding pictures of my feet on Facebook, because apparently his friend is dying and needs cheering up.

I told him one foot is $700 but I'll give him a discount, $1200 is a steal for two feet. No guarantee they're human, or mine. Dude is now mad women can vote.

dude is clearly having a very normal day, online

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

He seems like a nice enough guy, maybe I should send him photos of the preserved feet I saw at the medical museum in Paris.

alnilam

hamjobs posted:

He seems like a nice enough guy, maybe I should send him photos of the preserved feet I saw at the medical museum in Paris.

medical musea are cool @ heck, though their sourcing a long time ago was probably problematic

alnilam

I'm going to undercut hamjobs by offering photos of my foot or feet for free

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

loving scab!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

alnilam posted:

I'm going to make a foot-a-day calendar, using 4 centipedes.

Jaded Burnout

roomforthetuna posted:

I'm going to make a foot-a-day calendar, using 4 centipedes.

And that's why you'll always be priced out by millipedes

BoldFrankensteinMir

Jaded Burnout posted:

And that's why you'll always be priced out by millipedes

This guy gets da biz.

Jaded Burnout

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

This guy gets da biz.

This business plan has legs.

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

big toe is free, pinky toe will cost you

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Manifisto posted:

big toe is free, pinky toe will cost you

:henget:

xcheopis

Certainly has a leg up on the competition.

BoldFrankensteinMir

What do you do when your research indicates something politically vile, and there isn't time or funding to broaden the scope?

xcheopis

Cry?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Check. Also panic attacks, big check. But now what?

xcheopis

Check. Also panic attacks, big check. But now what?

Set everything on fire and throw it out the window?

BoldFrankensteinMir

xcheopis posted:

Set everything on fire and throw it out the window?

Tried that, almost got me fired. And the boss guilted me into cleaning up. So now all the research is crispy.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Tried that, almost got me fired. And the boss guilted me into cleaning up. So now all the research is crispy.

Have you tried crying while eating a burriot

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

Listen buddy I'm gonna pay this guy to look at pictures of preserved cadavers

BoldFrankensteinMir

hamjobs posted:

Have you tried crying while eating a burriot

Brilliant. First thing tomorrow (it will be a breakfast burriot).

xcheopis

Well, I'm out of ideas.

BoldFrankensteinMir

xcheopis posted:

Well, I'm out of ideas.

Me too amigo. Me too...

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

The tears really make the burriot taste better. Also please tell me of your bfast burriot recipe; I'm looking to improve my egg game.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also today I made friends with the feral kitty outside who is now named Badb and soon she will be my inside way goddess as she is very very good at killing catnip mousies.

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

hamjobs posted:

Also today I made friends with the feral kitty outside who is now named Badb and soon she will be my inside way goddess as she is very very good at killing catnip mousies.

Stay safe cat, and cat wrangler.

----------------

Manifisto

What do you do when your research indicates something politically vile, and there isn't time or funding to broaden the scope?

this is kinda generalized (not a criticism) so it's hard to respond specifically. I think my own biggest questions would be, am I essentially lying through omission by not including this thing? if so are there realistic and effective ways to call attention to the omission, perhaps through some other work, or even a pointed caveat in the thing itself? and I would also try to be realistic about how much damage the omission would cause; failing to mention something that is quite well known and well covered elsewhere is very dissimilar from publicly praising a dude you know to secretly be a pedophile or w/e

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

this is kinda generalized (not a criticism) so it's hard to respond specifically. I think my own biggest questions would be, am I essentially lying through omission by not including this thing? if so are there realistic and effective ways to call attention to the omission, perhaps through some other work, or even a pointed caveat in the thing itself? and I would also try to be realistic about how much damage the omission would cause; failing to mention something that is quite well known and well covered elsewhere is very dissimilar from publicly praising a dude you know to secretly be a pedophile or w/e

Excellent points! Without getting too deep into it the risk I run is promoting racial stereotypes through a too-simple analysis of national histories- I'm worried a political analysis will read as profiling basically. Trying to quantify the damage from that is tough, though clearly I'm not some prominent voice with an influence to worry too much about. But does that justify casually misrepresenting people? I have a lot of conflicting emotions and lines of reason about it.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
maybe don't try and see a problem in everything everywhere and just move forward

BoldFrankensteinMir

Luvcow posted:

maybe don't try and see a problem in everything everywhere and just move forward

Ouch. Good advice. Moving onward!

Edit- hey, thanks everyone for putting up with a windy wreck like me, I'm gonna back off again for a bit. Ciao!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 3, 2018

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
A snail eating lettuce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjNH2_QDVs

Edit: like "a man eating biscuits" not like "a man eating shark".

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 3, 2018

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

gonna record a video tonight of playing my bass while my dad plays guitar and we sing some old weird songs. i might post it if it's good.

Twenty Four

Ouch. Good advice. Moving onward!

Edit- hey, thanks everyone for putting up with a windy wreck like me, I'm gonna back off again for a bit. Ciao!

I know the feeling, but stick around, we love ya! The Phridays have been great, and your posts! Also with that in mind, I love you all byob friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty

roomforthetuna posted:

A snail eating lettuce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjNH2_QDVs

Edit: like "a man eating biscuits" not like "a man eating shark".

:3: