Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

PHUO: It is fine to talk about the bad things a public figure did, regardless of how close it is to their death.

this sounds...political, pardner.

PHUO: there needs to be more modern day cowboy songs. classic country about a man with a big iron shooting some slick rear end in a top hat who thinks he's the king of the ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

spit on my clit posted:

this sounds...political, pardner.
It applies to politicians but it's easy to find people whitewashing actors or musicians or sports stars too.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm a colossal fan of those Jodhpuri suit jackets.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It applies to politicians but it's easy to find people whitewashing actors or musicians or sports stars too.

I wonder if Michael Jackson's rep would have been completely cleaned the way it has been if he'd lived into the age of #MeToo?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That song that goes "He's everything you want, he's everything you need, he's everything you wish you could be but he means nothing to you and you don't know why" becomes incredibly creepy with the last chorus. When it switches to "I'm everything you want, I'm everything you need"

Because up to that point, the singer could be interpreted as an internal monologue or an omniscient narrator, and it seems to be leading to the woman having some kind of realization. That what she thinks she needs and what she really needs are two different things, or something along that line. She found the perfect guy, but it's meaningless. From that contradiction should come some kind of new self-knowledge.

But then when the singer reveals himself to be the man she won't gently caress, the whole thing becomes a gross nice guy whining that she's too dumb to accept how perfect for her he is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if Michael Jackson's rep would have been completely cleaned the way it has been if he'd lived into the age of #MeToo?

Not even close. There still would've been a shitload of whitewashing because he's MJ he made Thriller he just loves the kids, but people weren't being routinely, loudly confronted with these kinds of abuses yet.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gripweed posted:

That song that goes "He's everything you want, he's everything you need, he's everything you wish you could be but he means nothing to you and you don't know why" becomes incredibly creepy with the last chorus. When it switches to "I'm everything you want, I'm everything you need"

Because up to that point, the singer could be interpreted as an internal monologue or an omniscient narrator, and it seems to be leading to the woman having some kind of realization. That what she thinks she needs and what she really needs are two different things, or something along that line. She found the perfect guy, but it's meaningless. From that contradiction should come some kind of new self-knowledge.

But then when the singer reveals himself to be the man she won't gently caress, the whole thing becomes a gross nice guy whining that she's too dumb to accept how perfect for her he is.

Sure, but from a writing standpoint that could be intentional. Perhaps the song is sung in the person of someone who would speak those words while all the time meaning himself, and that's not cast as a good thing. Maybe not, I'm just a believer in subtlety.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Gripweed posted:

I disagree. I don’t remember the rest of the context in the song, but he could be referring to someone with depression. He’s not whining and she’s not dumb. He’s describing (arguably quite arrogantly) that he should make her happy but he doesn’t. And they “don’t know why” sounds like undiagnosed depression.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The word "diarrhea" should be replaced with the term " the farty brown splatters ". Or just "farty splatters". Or the "brown splatters".

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Dec 3, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That's the concentrated capitalism there, friendo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ommin posted:

I disagree. I don’t remember the rest of the context in the song, but he could be referring to someone with depression. He’s not whining and she’s not dumb. He’s describing (arguably quite arrogantly) that he should make her happy but he doesn’t. And they “don’t know why” sounds like undiagnosed depression.

He doesn't say that he should make her happy, he just says that he is everything she should want/need/wish she could be. But he means nothing to her. Which implies that he's an unreliable narrator. He doesn't actually know what she wants/needs/wishes she could be. That's why he means nothing to her.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Instead of the word "fart", we should all say "butt blast". It's less vulgar.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Dec 3, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ball pits are disgusting, so the US Mint should replace all ball pits with pools of funny money.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Same but China.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Blue Star posted:

Capitalists deserve everything bad that happens to them. Their decline and eventual death is completely earned.

:)

Capital knows no national boundary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

greek yogurt tastes worse than regular yogurt

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

People only eat Greek yogurt because of a vague suspicion that it's in someway healthier than regular yogurt. Nobody actually likes it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Plain greek yogurt is healthier because it's just yogurt that's been strained and that's why people eat it. It's less sweet and has less carbs so of course it tastes worse.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Gripweed posted:

He doesn't say that he should make her happy, he just says that he is everything she should want/need/wish she could be. But he means nothing to her. Which implies that he's an unreliable narrator. He doesn't actually know what she wants/needs/wishes she could be. That's why he means nothing to her.

Ok, I was curious and looked up the lyrics. You are correct. He’s just whining about her not noticing him. The whole “if she only knew how great I am” idea. I’ve been hearing that song all wrong.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mu Zeta posted:

Plain greek yogurt is healthier because it's just yogurt that's been strained and that's why people eat it. It's less sweet and has less carbs so of course it tastes worse.

Greek yoghurt tastes better though. I'd always assumed that Greek yoghurt must be less healthy because of how much better it tastes. Turns out Greek has less sugar but more saturated fat, which still explains why it tastes better.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Now your next step is understanding how carbs, fat, and protein are not healthy or unhealthy on their own. It all depends on what and how much your body needs, and what's the most convenient way for you to consume that amount. Convenient not just in the absolute amount, but also the form, and the enjoyment. I could eat a protein powder, I choose to eat quark and meat instead. An adjustment to my diet I could easily make would be to replace quark with yoghurt mixed with protein powder.

Why tho? I see no need to bring powders other than creatine into it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Today I learned that there's another definition of Quark

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

People only eat Greek yogurt because of a vague suspicion that it's in someway healthier than regular yogurt. Nobody actually likes it.

Lol at this poster. “Some way” like food in the developed world doesn’t come with a loving label that tells you what’s in it and exactly how many or few calories and nutrienrs it provides. Turns out some people read the label you fat goon

Also, while all macronutrients are indeed healthy and important, doverhogs post is kinda smug and needless. A general rule in the modern west is we are all overweight and eat loads of carbs and fats. Referring to lower calorie/higher protein options as “healthy” is a perfectly fine layman’s term and accurate for the 99% of people that don’t read nutrition/lifting/vegan sites and just want to have a better diet

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol at this poster. “Some way” like food in the developed world doesn’t come with a loving label that tells you what’s in it and exactly how many or few calories and nutrienrs it provides. Turns out some people read the label you fat goon

Also, while all macronutrients are indeed healthy and important, doverhogs post is kinda smug and needless. A general rule in the modern west is we are all overweight and eat loads of carbs and fats. Referring to lower calorie/higher protein options as “healthy” is a perfectly fine layman’s term and accurate for the 99% of people that don’t read nutrition/lifting/vegan sites and just want to have a better diet

Sure, having broad general rules for what is healthy is good. You know, like as a thing for the government to print on posters they hang up in elementary school classrooms.

However moving beyond that, and understanding why low fat is not automatically good, or why a food being high calorie is not bad, is much better on an individual level.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean it’s really common to dislike them for that reason but not understanding the appeal is weird.

I think it's because the things I dislike about them are what other people tend to like about them.

The fact that Petrucci can play a million notes a minute is impressive from a technical standpoint but it doesn't really do anything for me; I'm sure it probably means something to other people but I just can't imagine what.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dude, they just make those numbers up.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's because the things I dislike about them are what other people tend to like about them.

The fact that Petrucci can play a million notes a minute is impressive from a technical standpoint but it doesn't really do anything for me; I'm sure it probably means something to other people but I just can't imagine what.

It sounds rad.

Chet Atkins is the best guitarist, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Defining the "best" instrumentalists is more trouble than it's worth. Those Rolling Stone lists of the best guitarists ever are bullshit because they always put Springsteen on them; Springsteen's a great songwriter and performer and everything but he's not a great guitarist.

One description that's always stuck with me was when Springsteen, Dave Grohl, Paul McCartney and somebody else I can't remember were all doing guitar solos at one of those jams they do at the end of the Grammy Awards shows sometimes, and I saw them described the next day as, "The circle of competent rhythm guitarists."

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You're right. Any list of anyone doing anything is going to be extremely personal and biased.

But Chet Atkins is the best.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The thing about dream theatre and others is there's just no emotional resonance with their music. I just can't relate to any of the sound they make, it doesn't connect with me. Its why i like pop music so much, its either relatable or just fun to listen too.

Take Abba, i really enjoy their music, i think they are one of the greatest pop band ever but i dont have an abba tatoo, i don't have posters in my wall, I'm not naming my first born Bjorn but everyone who loves dream theatre needs to make their image a part of their love.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I just really like A Change of Seasons (the song) and Octavarium (the song). :shrug:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Dec 6, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
How 'bout that losing 100 pounds?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
In these days of guys like Petrucci and Tom Morello, Springsteen wouldn’t strike you as a great guitarist, but in the early days, he was known on the East Coast as a great studio guitarist and he’s still a very capable axman. You just don’t notice because he does his singer/frontman thing and hires guitarists to do the heavy lifting on stage. The documentary on Warren Zevon doing his last album has a bit where Springsteen comes in to do a guitar solo, and he’s pretty impressive.

I’m not even a big Springsteen fan, but that fucker can play the poo poo out of a Tele.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

those numbers almost literally mean nothing and you're so stupid for not getting that. literally nothing can help someone who is fat besides a poo poo ton of loving therapy, and the sooner gross people like you clue in and start telling fat people to get therapy rather than like, a million dieting tips that helps absolutely 0, because healthy weight loss happens with a nutritionist, and a personal trainer, and good mental health. Not because you read the made up numbers corporations make up to get you to buy their food.

ask me about losing 100lbs.

E: put 120, but then i realized i mathed wrong.

hmmmm, nah

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Not saying this applies to you turtlicious but I always get suspicious when people say ask me about my weight loss. 9 times out of 10 they are just trying to bait you in to going on a sales pitch for herbalife or essential oils.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Know what's really good for losing weight?

Greek yogurt.

It's super thick and full of protein so it fills you up without being too caloric.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's just what big yogurt wants you to think

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Personally I just don't eat too horribly and avoid gaining the weight in the first place. #lifehax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TIL if you're fat that eating healthier does nothing for you