Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

So uh..... apparently the Erfworld guy was trying to pay for various serious expenses (medical, long-distance moves, correcting years of tax filings, etc.) by having his webcomic's fans run bitcoin miners and he isn't doing too hot after the crash finally happened: https://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/61963/state-of-the-erf-part-2

:stare:

This is like...I'm pretty sure this is karma because exploiting your fans to be your buttcoin slaves is hella shady, even more than anything involved with the bitcoin in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

So uh..... apparently the Erfworld guy was trying to pay for various serious expenses (medical, long-distance moves, correcting years of tax filings, etc.) by having his webcomic's fans run bitcoin miners and he isn't doing too hot after the crash finally happened: https://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/61963/state-of-the-erf-part-2

Ian Miles Cheong was WRONG about bitcoin!? Shocking if true.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

How well do you have to know them?

when you think about it, do any of us really know anyone

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

The gently caress was he doing that for? Just start up a Patreon like every other webcomic artist under the sun, dude.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Elephant Parade posted:

The gently caress was he doing that for? Just start up a Patreon like every other webcomic artist under the sun, dude.

He has a custom made Patreon that is set up per update, he's posted in the past that many of the backers cancel their cards or something so he doesn't get the full amount each time. He's also bad at sticking to a schedule and earlier this year (I think) his game plan was to have a skip or 2 every month (in a 2 updates a week schedule) without informing his readers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nimby posted:

He has a custom made Patreon that is set up per update, he's posted in the past that many of the backers cancel their cards or something so he doesn't get the full amount each time. He's also bad at sticking to a schedule and earlier this year (I think) his game plan was to have a skip or 2 every month (in a 2 updates a week schedule) without informing his readers.
Not to mention he's doubled down on update pedantry quality at the cost of update speed. This would be a hilarious spiral if it weren't for the fact that his wife's cancer is also in the balance here.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

i think they call those tapeworms
webcomics are many things to many people

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PMush Perfect posted:

Not to mention he's doubled down on update pedantry quality at the cost of update speed. This would be a hilarious spiral if it weren't for the fact that his wife's cancer is also in the balance here.

Honestly even with the crypto thing that description of the healthcare process is pretty :gonk:

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i respect any attempt people make to wrangle with the american healthcare system, whether it be bitcoin mining, camwhoring, wildlife smuggling or whatever lowtax was doing with the dumb poo poo ribbon

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

He made a deal with a demon I think, each of us who saw the ribbon lost a sliver of our souls and in exchange the demon subsidized Lowtax's dental insurance.

(this post is on topic because I used the word "demon")

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tollymain posted:

speaking of killing and eating people u know

Mind if I ask the source on this one? It looks... interesting... :stare:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

nine-gear crow posted:

Mind if I ask the source on this one? It looks... interesting... :stare:

It's from Wilde Life (recognise the art style and the character), but I couldn't tell you what's happening because it's in my backlog and I haven't caught up yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This chapter of Wilde Life has been fuckin nuts

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mikl posted:

It's from Wilde Life (recognise the art style and the character), but I couldn't tell you what's happening because it's in my backlog and I haven't caught up yet.

Teenage werewolf Clifford is being stalked by experienced shapeshifter Raven, who has gone from "let's be friends based on mutual magical powers" to "you should abandon your ties to mere mortals" to "I will stalk you relentlessly" to "I am so crazy it is literally causing me to melt" over the course of, oh, let's say, twenty-four hours.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cat Mattress posted:

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad.
The buttcoins I'm not mining are the best I ever had.

Maaaad world.

Eeeerf world.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nimby posted:

They don't pay up unless they get the service they've put money in for? Shocking.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Teenage werewolf Clifford is being stalked by experienced shapeshifter Raven, who has gone from "let's be friends based on mutual magical powers" to "you should abandon your ties to mere mortals" to "I will stalk you relentlessly" to "I am so crazy it is literally causing me to melt" over the course of, oh, let's say, twenty-four hours.

He mentioned he had something under his skin that was driving him mad, he felt like he had to infect Clifford to keep it at bay or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nimby posted:

He mentioned he had something under his skin that was driving him mad, he felt like he had to infect Clifford to keep it at bay or something.

Not even that, just that Clifford's presence seems to be fulfilling whatever need he's feeling. And apparently increasingly intensely.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nimby posted:

Doesn't Patreon have an option that's already "I only get paid when I do an update"?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"it's not working... it won't stop scratching. your skin is in the way" doesnt give me the impression that raven is getting whatever it is they need by dint of clifford's presence alone

i think its fair to say we sort of have an idea why clifford shouldn't bite humans tho now lmao

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

He gets his rear end saved by the White Faced Bear fairly frequently so I'm banking on a cloud of spiders showing up real soon.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
personally im banking on whoever he contacted w his phone showing up. im guessing eliza

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tollymain posted:

personally im banking on whoever he contacted w his phone showing up. im guessing eliza

Did he actually contact anyone with his phone? I thought he just looked at it, remembering how Eliza told him to call, but he's being a stubborn teenager and refusing to ask for help.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

This is like...I'm pretty sure this is karma because exploiting your fans to be your buttcoin slaves is hella shady, even more than anything involved with the bitcoin in the first place.

It was entirely voluntary in the first place, I guess it's just easier to get people to spend extra money on electricity and graphics card replacement than yo get them to pay you directly.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm a shapeshifter

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

he was asking e/n what he should do

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nuns with Guns posted:

Doesn't Patreon have an option that's already "I only get paid when I do an update"?

Yeah, one of my podcasts charges per episode instead of per month, because they didn't want to put their listeners in this situation, of paying for work that didn't happen.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

incredible flesh posted:

i respect any attempt people make to wrangle with the american healthcare system, whether it be bitcoin mining, camwhoring, wildlife smuggling or whatever lowtax was doing with the dumb poo poo ribbon

yeah getting any form of seriously ill in America is a great test of "what will you do to live" and if cryptocurrency malware winds up being your personal moral nadir that's a little disappointing from an imagination standpoint, but def not from an ethical one

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah getting any form of seriously ill in America is a great test of "what will you do to live" and if cryptocurrency malware winds up being your personal moral nadir that's a little disappointing from an imagination standpoint, but def not from an ethical one
It sounded more like some fans volunteered to run miners on behalf of the Erfworld guy, rather than him running shady browser-level miners.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

IIRC it started with him running shady browser-level miners, and then he switched to a voluntary system when people started pointing out the whole "this is you giving your readers a virus" angle, but I can't find the original blog posts discussing it anymore. Either way it was more harebrained than malicious

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 3, 2018

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah, but he's got a non-Patreon patreon setup on his site, called the Toolshed. People who sponsor him are Tools.

He's also got 4 people working on his comic/site, which is insane when you realize it updates twice a week with a skip now and then and the quality isn't super amazing like K6BD or something.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nimby posted:

He's also got 4 people working on his comic/site, which is insane when you realize it updates twice a week with a skip now and then and the quality isn't super amazing like K6BD or something.

Three for the website, plus four for the comic, seven total.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are the lot of them including him even doing

e: here some content

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 3, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd never even heard of it until now, but is it even a comic anymore? It seems like it's just in text form with a few sparse illustrations, like how Poppy Opossum went. I really fail to see how that takes so many people.

Edit: ok, that's just the prologues and epilogues, I guess.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 3, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nimby posted:

Yeah, but he's got a non-Patreon patreon setup on his site, called the Toolshed. People who sponsor him are Tools.

I can get needing a lot of people working on website if you've built up your own knockoff Patreon/cryptocurrency mining program through it, but I don't see how you're getting ahead of using Patreon and not worrying about all of that. Then again, he's in dire financial straights so I guess it didn't work out all that well after all...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The fun fact about collaboration is that pretty often more people don't mean it gets down any faster.

Though I suspect the point about having three people work on the comic is that several of them have day jobs.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cat Mattress posted:

Plus one to get fleeced

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Malpais Legate posted:

He gets his rear end saved by the White Faced Bear fairly frequently so I'm banking on a cloud of spiders showing up real soon.
I haven't been following Wilde Life recently (It's good! I just dropped off for whatever reason), but the White-faced Bear's tidal-wave-of-spiders posse is one of my favorite things in it. (Also, Darcy is great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

welp I dont see tumblr surviving much longer. where's the place to post comics and poo poo now?