Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Grape posted:

The stupidest possible thing is nothing happens because no one is willing to get out and support anything iffy, nor put forward anything not 100% perfect. The can will get kicked off the cliff, and then the next phase is blaming the other side for the fallout.

Betting on the stupidest thing is good odds these days.

Mais non

The stupidest thing is that but then we default into no deal as a halfhearted hail mary political stunt with the Tories going "we wanted this all along"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

The fun thing with pissflaps is until being shitcanned from UKMT he was ardently pro-EU and wouldn't countenance any criticism of them. But now to get attention he's moved on to pretending to stan for Theresa May and her deal to leave . It's a bit sad, clearly he's missing the attention.

this is something you’ve invented in your head. I’m still pro Eu. bizarre.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What do y'all think is actually going to happen?

Everybody's acting like something will happen spontaneously that prevents a no deal brexit but that remains the default and any other possibilities as of now seem unlikely to occur

Brexiteer MP Andrea Jenkyns was on NPR here the other day and said that they would make a deal at the last minute because when Greece had its crisis and negotiations they came up with the whole deal during the weekend before the deadline.

"JENKYNS: Several things can happen. But I do believe that a deal can be done last-minute. I mean, let's look at Greece. The negotiations with Greece and the EU went on for months and months, and it wasn't until the final weekend deadline that they came up with something. So that is how the EU works. This is..."

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Everybody's acting like something will happen spontaneously that prevents a no deal brexit but that remains the default and any other possibilities as of now seem unlikely to occur

I'd give the Tories passing the deal about 50%, and no deal about 30%.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

hakimashou posted:

Brexiteer MP Andrea Jenkyns was on NPR here the other day and said that they would make a deal at the last minute because when Greece had its crisis and negotiations they came up with the whole deal during the weekend before the deadline.

"JENKYNS: Several things can happen. But I do believe that a deal can be done last-minute. I mean, let's look at Greece. The negotiations with Greece and the EU went on for months and months, and it wasn't until the final weekend deadline that they came up with something. So that is how the EU works. This is..."

Jenkyns is naive and dumb. There's already a deal on the table and the UK leaving is not half the threat a Greek bankruptcy was.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dance Officer posted:

Jenkyns is naive and dumb. There's already a deal on the table and the UK leaving is not half the threat a Greek bankruptcy was.

We should stay and threaten them with our bankruptcy so

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dance Officer posted:

I'd give the Tories passing the deal about 50%, and no deal about 30%.

I’d say more like 10% for no deal the EU always manages a last minute fudge and there’s too much opposition on both sides to no deal for us to just ‘fall into’ it.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
On Galileo. I recall reading that there is a clause that restricts acces to the underlying tech for military application to EU members only. This clause was added at the specific insistence of..... the UK.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

AlexanderCA posted:

On Galileo. I recall reading that there is a clause that restricts acces to the underlying tech for military application to EU members only. This clause was added at the specific insistence of..... the UK.

that’s ironic if true but also easily surmountable if the will was there

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

AlexanderCA posted:

Eventually we'll run out of bullets to shoot ourselves in the foot with

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Eventually we'll run out of bullets to shoot ourselves in the foot with

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1069183402765635584

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

woof

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The deal's getting passed. Maybe on the second or third try, maybe with a bunch of abstentions, but it's passing. There's no will for anything else and the only people willing to be on the hook for voting it down are either fervent ideologues (Tory rebels) or powerless grandstanders (Scots Nats, DUP).

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

after brexit, the estate we all have that’s worth 10 million pounds might crash to having 3 million in credit to stay alive

just like everyone else???

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

We should stay and threaten them with our bankruptcy so

Should have joined the euro, then

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

the UK isn’t in the Schengen area

More’s the pity

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

can we bet if the government will collapse

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

it’s getting irritating that these figures - which are bad enough when understood - are erroneously being discussed as how much the economy would ‘shrink’ in a no-deal scenario, rather the percentage the economy would grow less than with continued EU membership.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Jel Shaker posted:

can we bet if the government will collapse

It's a proud English tradition, so yes. Bet should be in euro or USD though, in case the pound becomes worthless.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dance Officer posted:

It's a proud English tradition, so yes.

Is it? When did it last happen?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Is it? When did it last happen?

apparently betting predicted brexit, while more money was put on remain (lol all the bankers with duff private polling data) more people bet on brexit

it feels a bit weirdly immoral to be though

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jel Shaker posted:

apparently betting predicted brexit, while more money was put on remain (lol all the bankers with duff private polling data) more people bet on brexit

it feels a bit weirdly immoral to be though

apologies - I thought you meant the British government collapsing was some sort of tradition, rather than political betting (which you’re entirely correct on)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

lol @ ending free movement and making it skills based

there wouldn't be much difference because the skills ceos are looking for is "is willing to work for no money"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pissflaps posted:

apologies - I thought you meant the British government collapsing was some sort of tradition, rather than political betting (which you’re entirely correct on)

It's been about 1000 years of the current epoch.
You're due for a collapse and then a foreign invasion from France that sets a new order in place.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grape posted:

You're due for a collapse and then a foreign invasion from France that sets a new order in place.

Jupiterian Order.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Theresa May that genius posted:

"As a global player with world-class engineers and steadfast allies around the world we are not short of options."

Does everyone over there think the Commonwealth is still a thing? I mean, the US is going to gut you like a Thanksgiving turkey if you're dumb enough to let us. Former colonies aren't steadfast allies, they're just people who haven't yet realized that they can be free from the dread hand of Her Majesty's government.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Nobody has a clue, which is why everything is going absolutely to poo poo in this country and public faith in Anything has seldom been lower.

jBrereton has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Dec 2, 2018

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Grape posted:

Been a long time since our last dutch-german invasion. Don't count them out

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Is it really an invasion if someone has to invite you?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
can't wait until british society collapses and an EU peacekeeping force arrives. Unternehmen Seelöwe 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

can't wait until british society collapses and an EU peacekeeping force arrives. Unternehmen Seelöwe 2019

The best German invasion since the Anglo-Saxons.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i wonder who will lead the collaborator government.

it'll be blair, won't it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I can't wait until Britain agrees to let America turn Wales into a US military base in return for aid

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

I can't wait until Britain agrees to let America turn Wales into a US military base in return for aid

wales will fit right in with west virginia

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

wales will fit right in with west virginia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i wonder who will lead the collaborator government.

it'll be blair, won't it?

Hell no, it'll be a bunch of boring men and women in grey suits who speak perfect English but whisper to one another in German all of the time.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hell no, it'll be a bunch of boring men and women in grey suits who speak perfect English but whisper to one another in German all of the time.

the royal family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mycroft Holmes posted:

the royal family?

Liz will die, Charles will retire to some estate somewhere, William and Kate will be retired to the Bahamas, and it'll be nothing but 24/7 King Harry and Queen Meghan on telly and in the papers.

If it makes you feel better, the drooling class here in the US will love it.