Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Don't forget the Mesmer. That poo poo freaked me out the first time I found one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, the Mesmer is fantastic. I definitely learned to gib those little bastards after the first one if I ever saw them because inevitably they'd make their way over to me and snap me into their view which always made me jump.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's the Sea Bad Dragon.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I finally picked up this game after hemming and hawing for literal years. Only problem: It runs like garbage on my PC. I've got a 970, i7, 16GB of RAM, and am running off an SSD. Almost everything I play runs smooth as can be, but this game and ONLY this game runs around 15-20 non-constant FPS. I've googled a bit, to very little avail. Is there any known silver bullet for FPS issues?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Not a Children posted:

I finally picked up this game after hemming and hawing for literal years. Only problem: It runs like garbage on my PC. I've got a 970, i7, 16GB of RAM, and am running off an SSD. Almost everything I play runs smooth as can be, but this game and ONLY this game runs around 15-20 non-constant FPS. I've googled a bit, to very little avail. Is there any known silver bullet for FPS issues?

Maybe change the settings on your 970 for Subnautica to always prefer maximum performance? Switching from platter to SSD had the biggest performance impact on my game, but I have a 1070...

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Not a Children posted:

What is an 970? Ideally, you should have an 6-8 gig video card. Also, MAKE SURE YOUR DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE. Subnautica needs videocard drivers made within the last year or so to use the video card, otherwise it's using your CPU instead of GPU for video.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I know this is unlikely to be helpful but I have the same computer, but with a 960, and I got it to run consistently at good settings by turning down the shadows and turning off bloom/blur/fancy effects besides basic stuff like FXAA

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I've spent so much time trying to get Reapers pics, it isn't spooky any more :smith:

also this happened

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny that it's always the one hanging around the back of the Aurora. Which to be fair is likely to be the one that surprises players, and is the easiest to get to from Lifepod 6.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Not a Children posted:

I have a 970, i7 3770k and 8GB RAM, also running off an SSD. I'd get some stutters when , say, transitioning from in and out of the seamoth or prawn, but other than that it was smooth as silk. In options I have medium on motion blur and reflections, TAA, but everything else on high, running at 1920x1200.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

What is an 970? Ideally, you should have an 6-8 gig video card. Also, MAKE SURE YOUR DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE. Subnautica needs videocard drivers made within the last year or so to use the video card, otherwise it's using your CPU instead of GPU for video.

I um doubt it's dropping down to straight up software rendering everything.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Even modern CPUs have a hard enough time drawing a lot of textured polygons with basic-rear end bilinear filtering (let alone modern shader effects and post-processing effects) so I don't think it's trying to software render things.

I was able to get framerates like that on my last PC with a 2011-vintage AMD card that wasn't receiving driver updates anymore, with the game warning me that I was below its minimum requirements every time I started it. Subnautica is just one of those games that is very technically weird and will randomly run fine or badly depending on the serial number of your video card, the phase of the moon, how many animals you have sacrificed to it, and what your preferred D&D version is.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I updated my drivers, and that seemed to help at first -- on the home screen I went from 50 juddery to a solid 60 fps. Getting back into the game and I was still chugging along at 15-25 FPS on the lowest possible settings.

I spent 2 hours troubleshooting this last night and I'm at the end of my rope. Thinking about trying just a clean OS install and going from there.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'd check with Samsung Magician and/or AS SSD Benchmark and run a perf test on your SSD, then compare against reviews/benchmarks for the drive. Subnautica runs like rear end compared to any other modern game but it shouldn't be *that* bad.

I had troubles with a few games that were highly IO dependent and found out I was getting like 10% of the performance I should have with small reads after a Windows Update messed with my power and drive settings.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Is cache clearing still a thing? I'd regularly improve my fps/pop-in by clearing it in beta.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
So I'mma grab the PS4 version tomorrow. Gimme your best vague, non-spoiler "tips" and "tricks" for someone just jumping in with no research.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

So I'mma grab the PS4 version tomorrow. Gimme your best vague, non-spoiler "tips" and "tricks" for someone just jumping in with no research.

Don't play on ironman, random bugs can kill you for basically no reason. It's rare but it happens.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d say don’t play with hunger and thirst it’s basically pointless and tedious.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

InsertPotPun posted:

Wear headphones or turn the sound waaaaaay up!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

I’d say don’t play with hunger and thirst it’s basically pointless and tedious.

Agreement here. I stuck through it, but its a game made more enjoyable through not having to truck water and stuff around with you.

If you want the experience, try it for the first twenty minutes then start over.

There's a few goon mods that do things like add construction pulling from nearby containers, or other things - I don't know why they aren't in the OP.

https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods, https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/ I think these are them?

I'd also say: Be prepared to look up fragment/wreck spots on the wiki, but also put a moratorium-period (24 hours? a week?) before jumping to it. Sometimes the RNG is wonky with stuff you need to progress deeper and not getting it.

Its spoilerific territory, and easy to get lost down that rabbit hole of 'the devs did what?' and that's a thing vs frustration, so it SHOULD come up naturally, but...Everyone has stories about 'where the f is _x_ thing in my game'.

Enjoy it while its fresh, its a true gem. Don't be afraid to ask for hints about where to go next from the thread.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Random-rear end question but does anyone know any good podcasts to listen to while playing Subnautica? Nature/Deep sea nature stuff specifically.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

Don't wait to make a "good base". Throw down a lovely solar panel powered hallway tube with lockers in it near your lifepod ASAP. The proper storage space is a huge deal, and unlike tiny and awkward waterproof lockers, you can dissasemble them to get all the resources back.

You need to slice at creepvines with a knife to get creepvine samples, and this is also how you get assorted coral.

Holstering your items lets you swim faster. Which helps before you can use a seaglide nonstop (Save all your empty batteries). The air bladder is also loving amazing if you like deep diving without a proper vehicle, it accelerates enough that you hurtle out of the water and bounce against the skybox limit. The tiny amount of air it uses to activate is a non issue, if that would kill you then a seaglide wouldn't be fast enough to save you either.

Once you unlock the blueprint, always try to keep some beacons on you to mark places of interest. You can also adjust their color and if they are displayed or not with your PDA menu.

EDIT: Hoard any stalker teeth you come across, it will save you time later.

It IS a spoiler, but you will need TWO Blue keycards when the time comes. All knowing that spoiler ruins is a pointless U turn to the closest fabricator and back again with a second one.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 4, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Don't make a bunch of floating lockers around Pod 6 like I did. What a waste of time.

I totally thought base building would be a lot harder than it turned out to be. It's super easy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, my first time through there was some component of the base building tool that I couldn't find and I figured that would just come much later in the game, so I put it off and made do with the stupid lockers for a while. Don't do that. Make it a priority to find the parts for the base tool.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh, and build the Cyclops as fast as you can: it's the best vehicle in video games and really doesn't take many resources once you find all of the blueprints!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The cyclops is a base, but better because it's mobile. I used a mod that added a separately-buildable vehicle upgrade station and so all I had in my base was a desalination plant and some battery chargers.

With the speed that plants grow, four wall planters inside the Cyclops cockpit was enough to keep me fed and watered.

I also recommend the mod that lets you build with anything that's in nearby lockers, not just your personal inventory.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GotLag posted:

I also recommend the mod that lets you build with anything that's in nearby lockers, not just your personal inventory.

This one plus the one that automatically crafts sub-components when making more advanced stuff. Removes 90% of the infuriating tedium of the very limited inventory and crafting system.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Section Z posted:

The air bladder is also loving amazing if you like deep diving without a proper vehicle, it accelerates enough that you hurtle out of the water and bounce against the skybox limit. The tiny amount of air it uses to activate is a non issue, if that would kill you then a seaglide wouldn't be fast enough to save you either.

The air bladder is great if you get decent fps. Its speed is limited to frames, so if you're on a good computer it'll make you fly up like crazy. If you're playing on a potato it won't go much faster than just swimming.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Mike the TV posted:

The air bladder is great if you get decent fps. Its speed is limited to frames, so if you're on a good computer it'll make you fly up like crazy. If you're playing on a potato it won't go much faster than just swimming.

...well, this explains why the few times I tried to use the air bladder, it seemed like I barely got any speed boost at all. I figured it was just a waste of materials and got rid of it.

On a related note, I finally got a halfway decent desktop to replace the ancient laptop I had been playing this on a while back. I never did finish my previous game, though I had gotten pretty far, so I'll start a new game on this new computer, with the more useful mods from the start. I expect great things from the air bladder this time. :colbert:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I usually have youtube poops on in the background when I game.

Which made things interesting when I first came across the Reaper lab and heard 'Am I glad he's frozen in there and we're out here and he's the sheriff and-'

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh, and build the Cyclops as fast as you can: it's the best vehicle in video games and really doesn't take many resources once you find all of the blueprints!

Alternatively, don't build the Cyclops because it's a boring piece of poo poo with few redeeming features. I actively hated that thing every time I got in it. I had to use it to transfer a bunch of resources from my starter base to my deep one, but I was glad to get back in my prawn to get back to spider-manning my rear end around and hitting nosy dragons with the mining tool.

More seriously, each to their own but the Cyclops just didn't appeal to me at all. The less time I had to spend in it the better.

My non-spoiler starter tip is to remember to scan every new thing you find as you may learn some hints as to what you can do with it.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 4, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah grappling around in the prawn was vastly better than awkwardly maneuvering the cyclops through tight crevices(tight meaning like 30 feet wide)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't tend to build a storage base in the shallows mostly because it's a hassle to get to, and even if you can disassemble, moving a base full of filled storage lockers is an enormous hassle.

I tend to build a main base in the kelp forest/red grass zone boundary (ideally near a cave entrance), then later in the game, thermal powered scanner/power cell recharger outposts.

I think the beginner tip I'd give is to fully explore the above surface locations that are shown to you by the plot. Also to hit plants with the knife to get seeds.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 4, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
My only two bases in the last run through were a massive sanctuary near the shallows and a lava zone waystation that could also watch the dragon.

The sanctuary was far too big to be useful but was great for collecting all of the plants and fish for display. The map is far too small to need much else.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
The Cyclops is perfect for the end-game because of the long, maze-like traveling you'll be doing and the resources you'll need once you get there. Using it anywhere else just overkill because it's slow and bulky.

As for protection, it's kind of pointless because Reapers don't patrol any real areas of interest, and the ones they are near are better off explored with smaller submersibles.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The cyclops was only useful to me for bringing both my Seamoth and Prawn to my deep staging base. At the deep cove tree, perfect for exploring the lava zone with the prawn while also being just high enough for the Seamoth to explore the lost river.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I mostly just used the cyclops to help me store food as I moved closer to the endgame since it was awkward as hell. Naturally power becomes less of a concern once you finally get those thermal conversion chips for recharging from hot water.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Xik posted:

I'd check with Samsung Magician and/or AS SSD Benchmark and run a perf test on your SSD, then compare against reviews/benchmarks for the drive. Subnautica runs like rear end compared to any other modern game but it shouldn't be *that* bad.

I had troubles with a few games that were highly IO dependent and found out I was getting like 10% of the performance I should have with small reads after a Windows Update messed with my power and drive settings.

Out of curiosity, what did you end up needing to do to fix the issue?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Out of curiosity, what did you end up needing to do to fix the issue?

I can't for the life of me remember now. I vaguely recall one or two power management settings and one under the disk properties in device manager. Looking through my benchmark folder I actually used ATTO Disk Benchmark to confirm the problem. The performance for 512B, 1KB, and 2KB was atrocious but larger sizes were fine when compared to online benchmarks. It was that day that I appreciated those tedious 20 page tech reviews with detailed benchmarks.

It was Subnautica getting 10/15fps and Stellaris taking like 5 minutes to load up for me to wonder wtf was going on. I used some sysinternals tool to watch Stellaris slowly load poo poo loads of individual small files from disk and that's what originally made me start looking into the drive.

e: At work I keep meticulous notes about anything I troubleshoot but at home I don't bother because I'm a loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Overall I've put a good three hours in and I feel I've only scratched the surface. I like that new items are actual improvement so I feel like my chances of survival are increasing in real ways that are useful, there are enough small quality of life milestones and, so far, I've not run into something that gets really useful just in time to never use it again. Goals are a little vague, but poo poo, I would have no idea what to do for real stylez if this happened so I'm roleplaying as myself: just some dipshit that was "lucky" enough to survive. My first words on this new planet were "Jesus loving christ really?! Really? Fuckin' alien spaceship BULLshit." This is the first survival game that I didn't just give up and look up the info online, I'm just playing and progressing.
I did not do "iron man" or "survival", thank you.

Section Z posted:

Don't wait to make a "good base". Throw down a lovely solar panel powered hallway tube with lockers in it near your lifepod ASAP. The proper storage space is a huge deal, and unlike tiny and awkward waterproof lockers, you can dissasemble them to get all the resources back.
EDIT: Hoard any stalker teeth you come across, it will save you time later.
These are handwritten notes I found stashed in my survival guide, thank you. I haven't quite figured out undersea building yet, i'll try after work. I am digging the "scan objects" based gameplay, reminds me of Metroid and makes exploration meaningful. Graphically all resources are distinct but still blend in naturally and they really nailed getting in and out of the water.