Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Len posted:

I sidestepped the durability thing by just not fighting anymore. I just run past everything because losing these fancy weapons and replacing them with goblin clubs just isn't appealing in the slightest.
It's very strange how you insist on making this game as unfun for yourself as possible. There are good weapons everywhere and enemies carry plenty of them, including fancy clubs. I killed virtually all of the enemy encampments in the game and running out of decent weapons was never really an issue.

Agent355 posted:

Zelda BOTW does alot of things right but I find the lack of actual good dungeons extremely disappointing. The divine beasts are on the same level as the worst dungeons in other games and there's only 4 of them.

I guess the shrines are supposed to feel like mini dungeons or something but they're all so brain dead and uninspired it doesn't really work. I think just because it's open world so you can't really order the shrines by difficulty like you could in a more linear game, so you end up with a huge amount of homogenous shrines with no real progression between them.

For all the great stuff in this game the dungeons/shrines really don't work.
Everyone would have loved a bunch of traditional Zelda dungeons with unique aesthetics but I think players generally recognized that wasn't a reasonable expectation in addition to the big old gameworld with the time and resource constraints the devs were working with. The beasts and shrines were a tolerable compromise but definitely pretty poo poo if you just compare them against the real dungeons in prior games.

Some of the shrines are very good and satisfying, some are more eh. They really should have sat someone down for a day and had them write unique lines for the monks in all the shrines; IIRC it's just the same three variations over and over again (puzzle, combat, and by finding this shrine you already win!) so who the hell wasn't skipping all that crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Whatev posted:

It's very strange how you insist on making this game as unfun for yourself as possible. There are good weapons everywhere and enemies carry plenty of them, including fancy clubs. I killed virtually all of the enemy encampments in the game and running out of decent weapons was never really an issue.

I dunno I feel like "bigger club" isn't as cool as my swords that poo poo out fire or lightning or my elemental rods. I fight things that I haven't murdered hundreds of or that are carrying cool looking weapons but just like every other Zelda game after a certain point murdering the scrubs is a speed bump and not really worth it.

Again maybe your idea of fun is fighting a pack of trash and getting rewarded in bear asses and a new wooden club but I do not find that enjoyable.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Len posted:

I dunno I feel like "bigger club" isn't as cool as my swords that poo poo out fire or lightning or my elemental rods. I fight things that I haven't murdered hundreds of or that are carrying cool looking weapons but just like every other Zelda game after a certain point murdering the scrubs is a speed bump and not really worth it.

Again maybe your idea of fun is fighting a pack of trash and getting rewarded in bear asses and a new wooden club but I do not find that enjoyable.

Is this the videogame equivalent of hatefucking?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

Probably not because I actually am having fun with it and want to keep playing?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Len posted:

Probably not because I actually am having fun with it and want to keep playing?

Well that's hatefuckin in a nutshell. Carry on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

Well that's hatefuckin in a nutshell. Carry on.

Seriously you seem to be taking personal offense that I turned my experience from something that isn't fun into something that I'm actually enjoying and I don't understand why.

I wasn't having fun fighting every pack of trash guys in the field. Now I run around picking up stuff and only fighting things that are actually interesting to fight.

Am I allowed to say the cooking system is poo poo or are you going to be upset by that? Because I have 140 apples and the amount of time needed to turn them into cooked dishes is insane.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
BotW was really fun for a while, but eventually the flat difficulty and complexity curve (everything needs to be doable once you leave the plateau) was the thing that made me stop. Once Korok Seeds and Shrines stop being engaging content, the world starts feeling very bare. I did two shrines and explored for maybe 30-40 hours, but lost all motivation to continue soon afterwards.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's a game that I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of playing, while being acutely aware from about 5 hours in that I was never gonna touch it again afterwards and could safely sell it on. Kind of a weird feeling, I usually keep the games I really enjoy. Horizon Zero Dawn was the same, though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Len posted:

Seriously you seem to be taking personal offense that I turned my experience from something that isn't fun into something that I'm actually enjoying and I don't understand why.

I wasn't having fun fighting every pack of trash guys in the field. Now I run around picking up stuff and only fighting things that are actually interesting to fight.

Am I allowed to say the cooking system is poo poo or are you going to be upset by that? Because I have 140 apples and the amount of time needed to turn them into cooked dishes is insane.

same tbh i attended culinary trade school

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
guys where does link use the bathroom this is really dragging botw for me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

Honestly where does anyone? I'm pretty sure there only two toilets in the entire series and both of them are outhouses with a man living in them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vic posted:

Whatev posted:

It's very strange how you insist on making this game as unfun for yourself as possible. There are good weapons everywhere and enemies carry plenty of them, including fancy clubs.

Please do not get hyper defensive of people disliking games you love. Some people will not like the parts of the game you do while enjoying other parts. That is fine.
Just because you enjoy fighting every Rattata or equivalent on the way through a field doesn't mean everyone else feels the same.

Anyway, for a game focused more on humans than the robots, Horizon Zero Dawn really could've used a memorable character that wasn't dead for 400 years and only observed through an audio log.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Dec 2, 2018

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Vic posted:

Thing actually dragging Zelda BOTW down is the way Link blocks with his shield. I just found out you can parry guardian lasers right back at them which is great. But it's Link who picks the direction at which he's holding the shield. And that sometimes means some bat to the right, not this giant loving instadeath statue charging up. I get shot in the back even though I'm pointing the camera right at the drat thing.

Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong because this was the most frustrating morning poop I've had in a while.

Lock onto the Guardian, and you'll bat the laser straight back into their eye every time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mamkute posted:

Whenever you have to rescue someone, but they die immediately afterwards anyway.

One weird phenomenon of RPGs is that the mortality rate for questgivers goes up precipitously once they actually speak to the protagonist. The most recent game I've been playing is AC Origins and it's almost comical how many NPCs, their friends, family members, business associates and pretty much anyone they've ever met immediately become imperiled within several minutes of Bayek accepting their favor, despite presumably making it 20+ years on earth without dying up to that point. An exclamation mark appearing over your head is basically the Mark of Death in these games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Zelda BOTW does alot of things right but I find the lack of actual good dungeons extremely disappointing. The divine beasts are on the same level as the worst dungeons in other games and there's only 4 of them.

I guess the shrines are supposed to feel like mini dungeons or something but they're all so brain dead and uninspired it doesn't really work. I think just because it's open world so you can't really order the shrines by difficulty like you could in a more linear game, so you end up with a huge amount of homogenous shrines with no real progression between them.

For all the great stuff in this game the dungeons/shrines really don't work.

The shrines where you had to do some cool thing out in the world and then the shrine was just a guy giving you a thing were great, most of the other shrines were at an ok/fine level, the shrines that were just you fighting some robut sucked poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Leal posted:

Link is constantly making GBS threads and pissing himself as he runs. No one around to care.

The cooking system is weird because you can use 5 apples to restore like two hearts or you just toss a durian on a flame for full health so whatever. What actually does drag it down for me is having no quick way to cook; gotta throw stuff on my hands, toss it in a bowl, watch it, grab the result, start again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

One weird phenomenon of RPGs is that the mortality rate for questgivers goes up precipitously once they actually speak to the protagonist. The most recent game I've been playing is AC Origins and it's almost comical how many NPCs, their friends, family members, business associates and pretty much anyone they've ever met immediately become imperiled within several minutes of Bayek accepting their favor, despite presumably making it 20+ years on earth without dying up to that point. An exclamation mark appearing over your head is basically the Mark of Death in these games.
There's a pretty decent Metal Gear Solid joke just at the edge of that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Link is constantly making GBS threads and pissing himself as he runs. No one around to care.

The cooking system is weird because you can use 5 apples to restore like two hearts or you just toss a durian on a flame for full health so whatever. What actually does drag it down for me is having no quick way to cook; gotta throw stuff on my hands, toss it in a bowl, watch it, grab the result, start again.

Yeah I was going to smelt down my apples but when I saw it was going to be:

Enter menu
Select up to 5 things to hold
Place in pot
Wait or skip cutscene
Repeat

I gave up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

I'm only just now getting to chapter 4 but man Kenshiro is a really annoyingly hands off protagonist. He decides to step in to stop some bandits murdering a kid but not while they're shaking his dad down for all of their supplies.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

To be fair, that's mostly because they try to betray Bayek "I just killed 20 people without breaking a sweat" of Siwa. By mid game or so doing that is more suicide on their parts than murder on his.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Horizon Chase Turbo: the longest Endurance race is all 109 tracks in a row, which is fine. It saves your progress between races so you don't have to do it in one go - great. But it tells you you have to finish in 5th place or better to qualify for the next race, and what that actually means is if you ever come in 6th, you immediately lose your entire Endurance progress and have to start over. That's just astonishingly bad design, especially in a game that gets so much right otherwise. I'm mildly annoyed at having it happen after 45 races, if that happened on race 109 I'd be bloody furious, especially if I had an unbeatable lead on the scoreboard otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Played maybe 5 minutes of Fallout 76 and I will never play more. Is it a bad game? Ill never know since this genre and its opening turned me off before Ill ever find out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

Played maybe 5 minutes of Fallout 76 and I will never play more. Is it a bad game? Ill never know since this genre and its opening turned me off before Ill ever find out.

What does this one do? Does it give you a heterosexual family with a kid again?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

They took away every single human NPC, I couldnt interact with any of the starter NPC robots beyond "click to hear line of dialog", and every quest Ive found is being directed to an empty area with a note or holotape that directs me to the next empty place Im supposed to go. The opening appears to be you overslept the vault opening and literally everyone else left you behind, and Im unsure why anyone wouldnt use the vault as a base even if they were planning to reclaim the wilderness.

I had a lot of time to ponder all this as I watched my health, AP, hunger, and thirst meters fluctuate as the left side of my screen exploded with quests to do things like craft a bed when I have a perfectly fine one in my apartment a shower and TV back in the vault.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Len posted:

Its a broken, buggy landscape with zero NPCs, story, setting or point. Its radiantquest.exe writ large where you go from A to B to kill X, press Y, or grab Z. All to have a pre-recorded computer tell you good job. Its like showing up to a party a day late and being forced to do all the cleanup in an empty house where you can't even have leftovers because they've been sitting out and have gone bad. Its a microtransaction filled cash grab that never should have been released, cobbled together poorly and presented in a broken state.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I have an apologist for the game on my fb feed and its some wild rear end poo poo seeing someone defend it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Len posted:

It goes back to having a player character that has very little pre-defined background, but it also lacks any characters whatsoever. Bethsoft couldn't figure out what game they wanted to make, so they mashed poo poo together haphazardly. They made a Fallout game without a story, a Rust-type game without the sense of permanency (and therefore without stakes), and a pseudo-MMO without content. It's an incredible trainwreck.

Like, the main quest is you following the overseer of the vault you were in, but even she never shows up in the game. You just follow the breadcrumbs of her audiologs the entire time. Then at the endgame, you drop a nuke on a location and that allows players to fight a reskinned Skyrim dragon. It's astoundingly lazily designed.

Inco has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Dec 3, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I have an apologist for the game on my fb feed and its some wild rear end poo poo seeing someone defend it.

The thread in games is wild with a few hardcore defenders acting like a subjugated minority.

Inco posted:

They made a Fallout game without a story, a Rust-type game without the sense of permanency (and therefore without stakes), and a pseudo-MMO without content. It's an incredible trainwreck.

This is worth re-iterating, if they had simply focused on some sort of central concept the game could've at least been a good fallout spinoff or w/e, but they really just had no idea what they wanted to do so they threw poo poo at a wall to see what stuck.

It turns out poo poo stuck.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Agent355 posted:

This is worth re-iterating, if they had simply focused on some sort of central concept the game could've at least been a good fallout spinoff or w/e, but they really just had no idea what they wanted to do so they threw poo poo at a wall to see what stuck.

It turns out poo poo stuck.

the central concept is "buy our microtransactions"

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Kevin Palpatine posted:

the central concept is "buy our microtransactions"

That's not a game concept, that's a racket.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
The only microtransactions are skins? What are you buying lol

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Inco posted:

That's not a game concept, that's a racket.

Welcome to the modern day Triple-A space. Its all microtransactions and battle royale.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The music in Dragon Quest 11 is really dragging it down. It's not even terrible, but considering how high the production quality is in every other aspect, it's a real letdown.

It starts with this opening song and got my hopes up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFgFABSkhQ&t=24s

But then every other track is pretty forgettable. I don't even have one example of a bad one, it's all of them in general. Apparently they're all midi songs which doesn't help, but I don't really think it's even the main problem either.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

LeJackal posted:

Welcome to the modern day Triple-A space. Its all microtransactions and battle royale.

Don't like it? I'll throw in five funbux to sweeten the deal. Yes we produce funbux. No you can't use funbux anywhere but in the game you already don't like.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

The music in Dragon Quest 11 is really dragging it down. It's not even terrible, but considering how high the production quality is in every other aspect, it's a real letdown.

It starts with this opening song and got my hopes up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFgFABSkhQ&t=24s

But then every other track is pretty forgettable. I don't even have one example of a bad one, it's all of them in general. Apparently they're all midi songs which doesn't help, but I don't really think it's even the main problem either.

Theyre all midi songs and possibly not the best compositions as a whole because SE is sucking up to a warcrimes denier and hoping when he dies they can negotiate with his estate

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They made a Zelda dynasty warriors work. Where's my Zelda set during that war where they beat Ganon with an army of robots?

And while I'm wishing for prequels where's my Castlevania set during the war of 1999?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Len posted:

They made a Zelda dynasty warriors work. Where's my Zelda set during that war where they beat Ganon with an army of robots?

And while I'm wishing for prequels where's my Castlevania set during the war of 1999?
Man, I wonder what franchise Nintendo should mix with next.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Man, I wonder what franchise Nintendo should mix with next.

4X Zelda game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Len posted:

That's unironically still a thing dragging down FO4, though just one reason of many that the game sucks rear end.

Oh and FO76 is also trying to rob people on their refunds. You see they're turning down a bunch of people who should normally still be covered by refund practices, but because they bought ~the digital version~ that's not allowed for some reason. Except there is no physical version for all of PC, the boxed copies are a cardboard disc with a code. There's an actual For Real lawsuit coming up on them over this because that violates the law in a deal of countries. They also had or have a real bad situation on their hands right now because they straight up falsely advertised what they were selling in the super duper $200 special edition, which was meant to have the bad game, a cheaply made helmet and an alright looking canvas bag. Skip forward and people open their things up aaaand it's a lovely, insanely cheap nylon bag that's already falling apart for a bunch of people. Someone opens a ticket with support and they get told "Sorry the canvas bag was a prototype, it was 'too expensive' so we switched to nylon, we won't be doing anything about it." They only just begrudgingly started offering people 500 bethesdabux if they show them some proof of purchase, these 500 funny munnies being in the realm of barely five bucks and probably having some microscopic agreement to them that waives your right to join a suit against them for knowing false advertisement or something. It also took them days to change the picture on their own site to stop claiming it was a canvas bag. All of this without even mentioning that the game itself runs like garbage, is filled with copy-paste asset reuse and has more bugs than any of their games before. Fallout 76 is a loving actual abomination of a product.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fallout 76 doesn't even have movable books and paintbrushes or skeletons that bounce into the air when you pick up a nearby item.

I'm not sure if the dead bodies even have physics.