Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Solid chance this is related to the body they found in a wheelie bin yesterday on the South side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lid posted:

The most important AusPol news

After three years of near but not quite near enough, SBS is prosecuting its most aggressive play for a win at the Eurovision Song Contest since formally entering the competition in 2015.
The broadcaster has named the first performers who will compete for Eurovision glory at Australia Decides, a pre-competition playoff intended to put our representing artist and song to a national vote.

The first four acts locked in for the event are award-winning singer-songwriter Kate Miller-Heidke, the indie pop band Sheppard, the pop-opera star Mark Vincent and the modern electric-soul duo Electric Fields.

You dawg, I heard you liked eurovision, so I put a competition inside your eurovision so you can eurovision while you wait. We try way too hard, and deserve to lose every time.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Isn't that how every other country chooses their entry?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It's not trying too hard, it's trying to make money.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Every loving time she's like this.

Is there, in the entire history of the world, a single person who talks endlessly about how they succeeded through their own hard work and skill, and how you can too, who wasn't handed everything on a silver platter?

No you see, you too can be like me and buy a house through hard work* and determination and not have to rely on handouts**

*also got an interest free loan from rich parents
** post sponsored by domain dot com

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haha that's hosed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Andrews already firing up the royal commission.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Lid posted:

The most important AusPol news

After three years of near but not quite near enough, SBS is prosecuting its most aggressive play for a win at the Eurovision Song Contest since formally entering the competition in 2015.
The broadcaster has named the first performers who will compete for Eurovision glory at Australia Decides, a pre-competition playoff intended to put our representing artist and song to a national vote.

The first four acts locked in for the event are award-winning singer-songwriter Kate Miller-Heidke, the indie pop band Sheppard, the pop-opera star Mark Vincent and the modern electric-soul duo Electric Fields.

Finally we can sent TISM to Eurovision

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheMightyHandful posted:

Finally we can sent TISM to Eurovision

If there was ever a reason for the remaining members of TISM to reunite, its to win Eurovision.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

This is ... insane

That is the opposite of a lawyer :stare:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PatsKarvelas/status/1069430548190265345

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

JBP posted:

If there was ever a reason for the remaining members of TISM to reunite, its to win Eurovision.

There was an online campaign last time and they collectively said "gently caress off" to that, so it's not a good chance

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

There was an online campaign last time and they collectively said "gently caress off" to that, so it's not a good chance

It's a shame that they never want Australia to win it but up to them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

This is ... insane

That is the opposite of a lawyer :stare:

I certainly hope she is currently talking to authorities about getting her kids into protection.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Thread favourite :

Peter van Onselen to bring 'traditional conservatism' to Ten

Move over, Waleed Aly's scathing monologues. There's a new man in town.

Former Sky News host Peter van Onselen has been appointed Network Ten's political editor, the broadcaster announced on Monday.

The move means the award-winning journalist and author will spearhead Ten's political coverage across The Project and Studio 10, as well as its news bulletins.

Van Onselen previously hosted a range of programs for Sky News and has regular guest appearances on programs such as The Drum and Insiders. He said he was looking forward to explaining the upside to traditional conservatism to a younger audience.

"There are some issues I'm more conservative on, but I don't think that puts me or other Australians out of touch with younger audiences," van Onselen said. "I think it's to do with the way it's presented. One of the problems for a long time with the right of politics is it hasn't represented what the mixture of progressive and rightwing politics can be for a lot of people.

"Marriage equality can be embraced by conservatives, I think tackling climate change must be championed by conservatives. So I'm interested in trying to explain all that."

The TV personality and part-time university lecturer said he expects to call out policies that are "spruiked" as conservative but are in fact nothing of the sort.

"I'm in no way, shape or form partisan," he said. "I'm used to speaking to younger people through academia. They challenge you and you've got to think differently. Not that I want to lecture viewers on The Project... but I'm keen to use the value of back-and-forth."

The new role will see van Onselen based out of Canberra's press gallery during the working week for the first time in his career. He will aim to break stories from Parliament House, as well as provide analysis for Ten's morning program Studio 10. (All while working on a book on the Coalition government, due out next year.)

Ten's news director, Ross Dagan, said in a statement that van Onselen's appointment comes just months out from a "crucial" federal election.

"He is respected across the industry and is skilled across all platforms," he said. "At a time when cutting through the spin is more important than ever, Peter will ensure we know exactly what's going on in Canberra, even when the politicians might not want that to be the case."

Van Onselen will continue to juggle his teaching commitments at Griffith University, as well as his regular column for The Australian newspaper, with his new role at Ten. He takes up the role of network political editor on Monday, December 10.

https://amp.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/peter-van-onselen-to-bring-traditional-conservatism-to-ten-20181203-p50jtl.html

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

We need the most Australian thing then, a TISM tribute act.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Anidav posted:

Coalition Majority is the joke option.

Wait did I miss typos?

edit: I see someone has already pointed them all out.

You still did better than the average Brisbane Times article though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If TISM won't do it themselves just send a Daryl Braithwaite impersonator.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
TITM

This Is TISM Mum

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

hambeet posted:

Thread favourite :
The Project is already a tepid pile of wank, thank you for killing it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

The Peccadillo posted:

At a Disco Machine show Damian Cowell said they'd discussed the reunion petition at the TISM catchup BBQ when I apologised for blowing up his social media by starting the petition. Eurovision was a wash but he didn't say anything committal about a general reunion so keep the dream alive

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only time I ever watch free to air television is for football or tennis. I don't understand how people are still "tuning in" to poo poo like the project and reality when there are a billion better things you could be doing with your evening.

I, Butthole posted:

At a Disco Machine show Damian Cowell said they'd discussed the reunion petition at the TISM catchup BBQ when I apologised for blowing up his social media by starting the petition. Eurovision was a wash but he didn't say anything committal about a general reunion so keep the dream alive

If they reunited for a one off show it would be loving bananas and I'd probably die at some point during the night.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's been like 10 days and I still don't know who my state MP is.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hooman posted:

TITM

This Is TISM Mum

GREGS: The TISM Experience

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hambeet posted:

Thread favourite :

Peter van Onselen to bring 'traditional conservatism' to Ten

Move over, Waleed Aly's scathing monologues. There's a new man in town.

Former Sky News host Peter van Onselen has been appointed Network Ten's political editor, the broadcaster announced on Monday.

The move means the award-winning journalist and author will spearhead Ten's political coverage across The Project and Studio 10, as well as its news bulletins.

Van Onselen previously hosted a range of programs for Sky News and has regular guest appearances on programs such as The Drum and Insiders. He said he was looking forward to explaining the upside to traditional conservatism to a younger audience.

"There are some issues I'm more conservative on, but I don't think that puts me or other Australians out of touch with younger audiences," van Onselen said. "I think it's to do with the way it's presented. One of the problems for a long time with the right of politics is it hasn't represented what the mixture of progressive and rightwing politics can be for a lot of people.

"Marriage equality can be embraced by conservatives, I think tackling climate change must be championed by conservatives. So I'm interested in trying to explain all that."

The TV personality and part-time university lecturer said he expects to call out policies that are "spruiked" as conservative but are in fact nothing of the sort.

"I'm in no way, shape or form partisan," he said. "I'm used to speaking to younger people through academia. They challenge you and you've got to think differently. Not that I want to lecture viewers on The Project... but I'm keen to use the value of back-and-forth."

The new role will see van Onselen based out of Canberra's press gallery during the working week for the first time in his career. He will aim to break stories from Parliament House, as well as provide analysis for Ten's morning program Studio 10. (All while working on a book on the Coalition government, due out next year.)

Ten's news director, Ross Dagan, said in a statement that van Onselen's appointment comes just months out from a "crucial" federal election.

"He is respected across the industry and is skilled across all platforms," he said. "At a time when cutting through the spin is more important than ever, Peter will ensure we know exactly what's going on in Canberra, even when the politicians might not want that to be the case."

Van Onselen will continue to juggle his teaching commitments at Griffith University, as well as his regular column for The Australian newspaper, with his new role at Ten. He takes up the role of network political editor on Monday, December 10.

https://amp.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/peter-van-onselen-to-bring-traditional-conservatism-to-ten-20181203-p50jtl.html

Ah well, I guess with News Corpse media being ignored by most of Australia, they have to find some way of getting their hacks out there. I wonder if Bolt will come back to Ten.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I, Butthole posted:

Hahaha, that was you?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The gallery security and speaker behave very differently. If you try to enter the gallery without a jacket on as a man they bar you immediately.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

a fine line between too much and too little skin?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Senor Tron posted:

I certainly hope she is currently talking to authorities about getting her kids into protection.

Considering it's trivial to work out who she is, I hope the authorities extend that protection rather quickly.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

The Peccadillo posted:

Hahaha, that was you?

It's the best claim to fame I'll ever have

Also reminder that Sheppard are a band basically made out of funding from PNG corruption and Manus: https://www.smh.com.au/national/steering-corrupt-cash-into-australia-from-png-a-howto-guide-20150623-ghv1sx.html

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

TheMightyHandful posted:

a fine line between too much and too little skin?

IT’S ME MR SPEAKER, IT WAS ME ALL ALONG

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Haha

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...212-13cgu7.html

"My official position is I cannot comment on behalf of TISM due to respect for my former colleagues and artisic integrity," said former member Humphrey B. Flaubert (Damian Cowell).

"However if a giant multinational with horrendous human rights record was to give me a huge cheque I'll dob in my grandmother."

Flaubert found the petition: "Hilarious and deeply flattering [that TISM was associated] with trashy crap disco music performed in a shoddy cheesy fashion in a highly rigged political arena.

"But it's all good."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Andrews already firing up the royal commission.

I thought you meant the Mental Health one that Dandrews campaigned on. I guess this is a way to stop News Corpse getting narky about it on the front pages of the Hun.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
“Given Mr Morrison has refused to save Jane Prentice, Ann Sudmalis, and Senators Molan and Gichuhi, but has today intervened to save Craig Kelly, how does Mr Morrison decide when to intervene? Why is there a quota for clowns, but not for women?” Labor’s Jenny McAllister asked.

“Point of order. You can’t refer to members of parliament as clowns,” Cory Bernardi said.
“The Prime Minister called you all Muppets!” Ms McAllister responded.

President Scott Ryan said he didn't hear the second half of Ms McAllister’s question but “if there was something unparliamentary I’d ask for it to be withdrawn”.

“Senator McAllister suggested that the Prime Minister failed to intervene in the preselection of clowns. It’s simply inappropriate and Senator McAllister knows. She should withdraw,” Mr Bernardi said.

Then Derryn Hinch chimed in with exquisite timing.

“Isn’t truth a defence in New South Wales?”

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I, Butthole posted:

It's the best claim to fame I'll ever have

Also reminder that Sheppard are a band basically made out of funding from PNG corruption and Manus: https://www.smh.com.au/national/steering-corrupt-cash-into-australia-from-png-a-howto-guide-20150623-ghv1sx.html

After listening to that band that's the cruelist and grossest thing the White World Power has ever committed in the south pacific

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Craig Kelly thinks Portugal's drug laws are good :wtc:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Craig Kelly thinks Portugal's drug laws are good :wtc:

They are :confused:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

He's so loving stupid on every other issue that I don't know how he ended up being actually right about something more important than "is the sky blue?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

What are Portugal's drug laws and what is so good about them? Are they mandatory or something?