Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I had a couple fairly fat friends who really had chips on their shoulders about it. In situations like restaurants they'd often be like the really insecure meat eater just seeing a vegan person order something vegan and seeing it as an attack and judgement on them. Like they'd be the only person to order appetizers and say something like "Oh I guess I'm the only person admitting to an appetite tonight..." and then everyone's full after their single entree and only they get a big dessert all them selves and the rest of the table maybe shares a single dessert and again they'll have to defensively say something about it "Oh... I guess I'm the pig here daring to order their own dessert..."

No one in the group would ever comment or judge them in any way, but they were just constantly so defensive and assumed everyone was silently judging them. There was also so often this slight accusation that we were all holding back to be performatively healthy or something. Like we'd order just a single healthy entree to show off then gorge on butter when we got home.

It's the same sort of thing with the weird alcoholic who gets in people's faces and just has to make insecure comments when someone within earshot of them doesn't want a drink or don't want any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

No one in the group would ever comment or judge them in any way, but they were just constantly so defensive and assumed everyone was silently judging them. There was also so often this slight accusation that we were all holding back to be performatively healthy or something. Like we'd order just a single healthy entree to show off then gorge on butter when we got home.
yyyyuuuppppp, like straight up blows my mind to see someone with no horse in this race act like thats not a common thing to encounter.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Sorry about your dumpster fire friends.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Becoming fat causes you to have a larger appetite and it can be confusing to feel like everyone else is eating as much as you are but still feeling hungry while everyone else is like "whew I'm stuffed!" So the natural assumption is that everyone else is still hungry, too, but you're the only one willing to admit it. Cause you keep it real.

The people who realize that being fatter makes you hungrier are more likely to do something about that and won't be fat or as hungry anymore

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

therobit posted:

Sorry about your dumpster fire friends.

If only I could spend every social outing, work related or otherwise, with people who were close personal friends I had personally screened.

Alas

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lizardman posted:

You can never really know for sure but my bullshit detector starts going off when someone looking for advice immediately starts refuting and criticizing every last piece of advice given (and in a "no you're wrong" way rather than just "I can't because {excuses}"). I feel like someone that confident in their situation wouldn't seek advice for it.

This must be the first reddit post where you've read the comments.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Gluten Freeman posted:

not letting this good post get ignored
thank u I thought it would turn up more goonettes

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

Eventually it got gassed because some people thought that a fat-person mock thread didn't belong on Something Awful

I was never aware of the thread you mention, but I have to agree that a thread making fun of fat people doesnt belong.

Making fun of what fat people believe, on the other hand...

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Ah good. Glad we can read complaints from the “fat thread” regulars for the next few pages

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
No? No one is being dumb and complaining?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

If only I could spend every social outing, work related or otherwise, with people who were close personal friends I had personally screened.

Alas

And yet, other people who also don't have that privilege somehow have avoided getting bitched at by fat people regularly.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

I've literally never had that happen.

you're a coastal elite pinko from the city of $10 food truck tacos, there's a definite feeder culture in the more midwestern parts of the country where you'll see that kind of thing sometimes. also goons will forever trumpet the one interaction with an obnoxious fatty they've ever had, or the one they heard about someone else having, the same way they will the evangelical vegan oppressing them for wanting a McChicken.

Help.. The most messed up story on Reddit. [24/F] [24/M]

quote:

I met this girl last year. I started to show that I was into her and eventually started dating her. I found out cheated on me while I was seeing her. She had a boyfriend that she did not tell me about. The boyfriend lived in another state and what hurts most is, I dropped her off at the airport. Then I picked her up. When I found out about him from her phone, she lied about who he was.

Eventually we started seeing each other and one day I discovered pictures of another guy on her computer. I discovered that when she told me she was going on a business trip and on vacation with her family, she actually went with this guy. I asked her about it after showing her my proof and she still lied to my face.

I googled the guys name and found his email. We exchanged numbers and uncovered a web of lies. At the moment, I was EXTREMELY hurt and crushed. I didn't want anything to do with her. She started messaging me off the hook and stalking me.

New Years came and I decided to see her and to end things on a good note. But when I saw her, I saw that she was sleep deprived, malnourished, and overall in rough shape. Infact, she was sleep talking. I saw the sadness in her eyes. I love this girl despite what she did to me. I decided that I would try to forgive her and move on from this.

The next weeks were rough. She offered to do everything she could to make me feel better. She offered to change her phone number so people don't bother her, to take a polygraph test, to try to do anything to make me happy. It made me glad that she was actually trying so hard to salvage this. But I uncovered another lie that she was hanging out with this guy while I broke up with her. I know for sure that they didn't do anything but I was so tired of the lies.

This drove me crazy. I hated her because she told me she would stop lying and she lied straight to my face. After this, I decided maybe that she wasn't the right girl for me. I started messaging and flirting with other girls while I was with her. To be honest, it made me feel good that I was doing to her what she did to me. I know that this was wrong.

On top of this, the guy that she cheated on me with would tell me how she would message him while I was sleeping next to her. He didn't know that I wanted to give her another chance because I didn't tell him. I didn't want to look like I was being taken advantage of. He kept telling me all these things that enraged me.

I started to confront her on all of it and she would deny everything. She said that he was jealous because she didn't want to be with him. She said that all the things that he was saying was a lie. At the moment, I found that the guy had more credibility over her. I lost control and physically abused her a couple of times. I feel like such a piece of poo poo for what I did. I know that there is NO excuse ever to hit a girl. I wasn't myself.

So after I saw how much pain I was putting her thru, I started to feel really bad. I saw her persona change. She was always a 'happy girl'. She changed to someone who didn't care about anything anymore. I couldn't take this toll so I attempted suicide. I couldn't live with all the pain that I put her thru. I swallowed 35 ativan and told her to let me sleep against her.

She looked at me puzzled and asked me if I did anything stupid. I lied to her and told her just to hold me. I wanted to die in her arms. I woke up two days later at home. I woke up with no recollection of any memory as to what happened. Taking that many ativans causes blackouts.

I found out that she took to me the hospital and stayed with me almost the whole night. I found out that during this time, she checked my phone and uncovered those girls I was flirting with. Her heart broke. She still stayed with me and looked after me. I found out that while I was 'drugged' out, I physically abused her again.

I have absolutely no recollection or memory for 6 days. It's quite scary and if she didn't show me a picture of me in the hospital, I would not have believed it.

So after getting out, she wanted nothing to do with me. The roles were reversed. I told her I was willing to do anything and I wanted to show her that person she saw wasn't me. I genuinely wanted to forgive her for what she did and needed her to forgive me to.

I have been making efforts to show her and we have been taking things slow. While she was smoking weed with me, she uncovered that back home she and a guy hung out and he showed her around. My heart sank as before she told me she only saw him at a store and they talked only. This lie made me question what her relationship was with him. I waited to ask her about it. When I did, I got hit with a bunch of personal attacks. She told me to never talk to her again.

I don't know what to do now. I know most of you will say 'MOVE ON'. But if it was up to me, I just wish she would want to try to work things out. I understand people make mistakes. I'm no angel myself. Help..

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 3, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tetramin posted:

Ah good. Glad we can read complaints from the “fat thread” regulars for the next few pages

Wow yeah 1 whole post merely referencing a thread's existence, what horrors we have wrought

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Seriously, editorializing about your own r/relationships post? :fuckoff: OP

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My[23F] roommate[21F] smashed my family Christmas ornaments

quote:

I moved in with Sarah(23) and John(23M) about 3 months ago. We are part of the same friend group so I’ve known them for awhile. John and I get along great and Sarah and I did too but I wasn’t close with her

Sarah and John lived together for about 6 months before I moved in. John has confessed a growing annoyance with Sarah to me as I’ve been living there. I’ve also noticed that her behavior has progressed in weirdness since I’ve been there. It’s almost like she’s territorial and doesn’t want me there?

Sarah has been “accidentally” walking in on John in the shower. I should add that John is very attractive So I assume Sarah has a crush on him. She also started walking around the house in a small silk robe, often with her nipple hanging out. I’m not shy about bodies and wouldn’t care but John is uncomfortable with it so we asked her if she could cover up a little more in the common areas. this was met with embarrassment and an apology but we later found out she was talking poo poo about ME to our friends saying I was jealous!

Then she began making subtle digs at me. Saying I look anorexic (I DO struggle with an eating disorder so this was particularly hurtful). She bought me a child’s training bra as a gag gift for our Christmas party which might’ve been funny had it come from someone I was actually friends with and did not have ill intent. She went through my room, found 5 bottles of lube (It was BOGO!), and announced that if I was “thicker” I would get wetter and that she’s never used lube and will never use lube. She said all this in front of John while laughing

John came to my defense here and told her to cut it out and that he’d had enough of her behavior and he didn’t want to hangout with her anymore. This is when everything really blew up

Sarah started crying and begging him and saying that she was just joking and that she loves me (yeah right). All I said was that I was embarrassed for her and I went on making my tea and ignoring her meltdown. John went to his room and I joined him in there after I made my tea

We are watching a movie and I start to hear a noise so we turn down the volume, looking at each other like “wtf”. We hear these crashing noises and go out to check

Sarah was in my room where I had a small (4ft) tree with family ornaments. Not only were these expensive ornaments, they were passed down in my family and I’d put all my favorites up. The ones that I had the strongest emotional connection to. My grandparents, aunt, and mom have all died and they are the ones I always celebrated Christmas with and who the ornaments had belonged to

She smashed almost all the ones on the tree. I am really upset. I don’t know what to do. Fortunately some couldn’t be broken (like the beaded ones) and John is glueing the wooden ones back together but the rest are gone.

Sarah has concocted a bizarre lie that she is telling all our friends about what went down. She hasn’t left her room. How am I supposed to handle this

TL;DR: roommate turns out to be insane raging bitch that destroys my family Christmas ornaments out of spite

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Araenna posted:

And yet, other people who also don't have that privilege somehow have avoided getting bitched at by fat people regularly.

Don't need you gaslighting me about it being an imaginary thing that never comes up kthx. I didn't mention it as some weird bid to score points, it's a pretty common thing plenty of people have experienced and I dunno why you'd wanna deny it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wife [37F] keeps trying to join our daughter's [14F] teenage sleepovers. Upset that I [40M] am not supporting her.

So some background, we've been married almost 15 years. Our oldest daughter is 14, younger son is 10. My wife is currently a SAHM and has been for the past decade. I feel like she's going through a personal crisis right now where our youngest has become fiercely independent and so is our oldest, so she feels like she's losing her babies. Nonetheless, I think the way she's dealing with it is very harmful to our kids and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because she refuses to get any therapy/counseling (believe me I've tried) and our kids are becoming increasingly distant from their overbearing mother. I can only do so much to mediate things but I'm feeling stuck.

Our daughter, basically in the past year, has made a very close group of friends and they like to have girls sleepovers every Friday. It's a great development from elementary where she had very few friends and felt lonely. She's at the age where she likes to do things with her friends alone (like see movies, go to the mall, etc) and what I always do is drop her off and pick her up at a predetermined time. This is what all her friends' parents do as well.

Anyways, recently my wife has gotten more and more upset because she wants to join our daughter on their sleepovers. At first it started off as my wife wanting our daughter to host all sleepovers at our house, which was fine, but daughter quickly changed her mind when she realized mom was there ALL the time. I tried to make her come upstairs with me and just hang out in the kitchen/living room/whatever while the girls played in the basement downstairs but my wife refused. She HAD to be down there with the rest of the girls, she'd even bring down her own blankets/pillows to sleep with them. Obviously our daughter was upset and embarrassed and now refuses to have sleepovers at our own house. Wife is in denial about why though and insists that it's because daughter's friends are too bossy.

So now the biggest issue has to do with my wife wanting to go with our daughter on her sleepovers away. She insists that she just wants to keep an eye on the girls and she's worried about them looking up inappropriate things on the internet or discussing inappropriate things. She says she feels the other parents aren't responsible enough and that's why she needs to go. This has been a huge thing between mom and daughter, with our daughter now actively avoiding her mom even at home.

I'm really frustrated because I tell my wife that we need to get some counseling for her anxiety/unfounded fears and yet she blows up at me. She claims that I'm not supporting her enough on this one matter (barging in on sleepovers) and that we need to be a united front to the other parents. She once showed up at our daughter's friends house (during a sleepover) demanding to be let in. I didn't even know this because she told ME she was going to the grocery store. The friends' parents flat out refused and told her to go home in a rude manner, so she came home crying to me saying that we needed to confront them as a team. I refused as well.

Honestly what is left for me to do if my wife A) refuses therapy/counseling for her fears and B) won't listen to reason when it comes to why she can't join teenagers' sleepovers? She's also perpetually mad at me for not siding with her, even though I tell her I think she's being really unfair and exhibiting bad parenting to our two kids, who have really pulled away from her in the past 2 years as a result of her steamrolling over their growing independence.

What is left to do??

​tldr-- Wife insists on joining our teenage daughter on her sleepovers with friends. Daughter is embarrassed and distant from mom, and wife is angry I'm not supporting her enough on this. I'm stuck because wife also refuses all therapy for her unfounded fears and anxieties. What can I do still?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [24m] girlfriend [21f] is trying to “name-drop” me when I’m not even actually an important person, and it’s getting kind of annoying. Together 4 months.

So I work for the city. Not in any glamorous capacity, I’m a mechanic who works on city-owned vehicles. But from hearing my girlfriend Emily talk you’d think I was the City Manager’s assistant or something. Normally I don’t really care, but recently she’s started “name-dropping” me for stuff and it’s kinda getting on my nerves.

First example was a month and a half or something ago. I randomly got a message from her that said something to the effect of “Had to use your name today, but it got me out of a ticket, thanks! Hope you don’t mind!”

I asked her later what she meant and she said she got pulled over by the cops, and then somehow fit into the conversation that she’s dating agreeable_ground from fleet services. The cop then let her off with a warning. She seemed to think that saying my name is the reason, but that seemed a little farfetched to me. Some time later I did run into that cop when he had to bring his car in for services and asked him about it. He was planning on letting her off the whole time and he and his cop buddies had a slight chuckle at someone dropping my name on them.

I just had a chat with Emily that maybe dropping my name to get out of tickets is both unlikely to work and kind of lovely anyway, and she promised she wouldn’t do it anymore.

Then a few weeks ago she randomly asked me if I could “help out” her sorority with something. I actually have no idea what the crux of it was, but it had something to do with their house getting in trouble with the Code Enforcement guys. I told her that I’m not sure what she thinks I do at work, but I mostly just fix garbage trucks and have gently caress-all to do with code enforcement. She just asked me to “pretty please” see if there was someone at work I could talk to. There is no one at work who could help with that and I told her so.

Then, just today, Emily’s sorority wants to work out some event in the spring and wants to try and partner (or something) with the local government and do it at the zoo. Apparently, without my knowledge, Emily told her governing council (or whatever the gently caress they’re called) “Oh, my boyfriend works in the city government, he could probably get us an in!”

So now suddenly my phone is blowing up with sorority girls asking me if I could help them out with this thing, and no one seems to be hearing me when I tell them I’m just a loving garbage truck mechanic. It’s like asking the guy at the Apple Store to get an inside view on their Board of Directors.

I do love Em, she’s a great girlfriend otherwise, but its like she turns into a spoiled wife with a poweful husband when I’m not even a powerful husband. I’ve talked to her twice about this junk and she keeps pulling out my name when she thinks it will benefit her.

TL;DR My gf keeps dropping my name like I’m some powerful important person when I’m neither, and I don’t really like being name dropped even if I was. Help?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

holy moly, the OP of this reddit post is an awful person

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My [41F] son [17M] walked in on me and his father [42M] engaging in a threesome with a family friend [45M]. He has been a different person towards us since.

quote:

My husband and I are regular swingers. We both enjoy it. We love each other and have a lovely marriage. I blame myself for allowing this to happen, it took place a couple weeks ago. He was supposed to be at his friend's house all weekend but came home early. He literally walked in on someone he has known since he was a baby (will call M just for simplicity's sake) penetrating me while I gave a blowjob to his father. He stood there for a moment with his mouth open and then walked out, went to his room and slammed the door.

I feel horrible that he saw that and I really really sympathize with him, but his behaviour since then has scared me. He is an only child and has never given signs of being mentally unwell before. He was always very kind, if a bit shy, and I was always so proud of being his mother. I have never seen him mention a girlfriend (or boyfriend for that matter) but I chalked that up to him just being a late bloomer.

For starters, the M(who has been basicly been an uncle figure to him) tried to talk to him about it- which i admit now was stupid- and my son threatened him with violence and told him to never speak to him again. For the record my son is a star offensive tackle at his high school and is an extremely physically imposing person. M was visibly upset after this and said he has never seen our son like this.

Both me and my husband have tried everything to communicate with him. When my husband went to talk to him my son said he does not respect us anymore and wants nothing to do with us. He also called his father a cuckold and that he was embarrassed to have him as a father (I have never seen my husband as upset as he was after being told this :() When I went to talk to him he told me I disgusted him and to leave him alone.

We have been trying to give him space to calm down but its been weeks and he has not spoken a word to us. Like we will say hi to him or ask him how he is and he won't even look at us. I don't know what to do anymore, this is unbearable. I feel like I lost my son, and it hurts me that he has such a twisted view of sexuality that this is how he is reacting. I totally understand that letting him see that was my fault and that he has the right to be extremely uncomfortable, but this seems totally over the top. I don't know what to do to resolve this.

TL:DR: our son walked in on me and my husband having a threesome with a family friend. Is now actively hostile towards that family friend and outright ignores me and my husband.

EDIT: I should include that we have tried to set up therapy appointments and our son has laughed in our faces and flatly refused to go.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [24m] girlfriend [21f] is trying to “name-drop” me when I’m not even actually an important person, and it’s getting kind of annoying. Together 4 months.

So I work for the city. Not in any glamorous capacity, I’m a mechanic who works on city-owned vehicles. But from hearing my girlfriend Emily talk you’d think I was the City Manager’s assistant or something. Normally I don’t really care, but recently she’s started “name-dropping” me for stuff and it’s kinda getting on my nerves.

First example was a month and a half or something ago. I randomly got a message from her that said something to the effect of “Had to use your name today, but it got me out of a ticket, thanks! Hope you don’t mind!”

I asked her later what she meant and she said she got pulled over by the cops, and then somehow fit into the conversation that she’s dating agreeable_ground from fleet services. The cop then let her off with a warning. She seemed to think that saying my name is the reason, but that seemed a little farfetched to me. Some time later I did run into that cop when he had to bring his car in for services and asked him about it. He was planning on letting her off the whole time and he and his cop buddies had a slight chuckle at someone dropping my name on them.

I just had a chat with Emily that maybe dropping my name to get out of tickets is both unlikely to work and kind of lovely anyway, and she promised she wouldn’t do it anymore.

Then a few weeks ago she randomly asked me if I could “help out” her sorority with something. I actually have no idea what the crux of it was, but it had something to do with their house getting in trouble with the Code Enforcement guys. I told her that I’m not sure what she thinks I do at work, but I mostly just fix garbage trucks and have gently caress-all to do with code enforcement. She just asked me to “pretty please” see if there was someone at work I could talk to. There is no one at work who could help with that and I told her so.

Then, just today, Emily’s sorority wants to work out some event in the spring and wants to try and partner (or something) with the local government and do it at the zoo. Apparently, without my knowledge, Emily told her governing council (or whatever the gently caress they’re called) “Oh, my boyfriend works in the city government, he could probably get us an in!”

So now suddenly my phone is blowing up with sorority girls asking me if I could help them out with this thing, and no one seems to be hearing me when I tell them I’m just a loving garbage truck mechanic. It’s like asking the guy at the Apple Store to get an inside view on their Board of Directors.

I do love Em, she’s a great girlfriend otherwise, but its like she turns into a spoiled wife with a poweful husband when I’m not even a powerful husband. I’ve talked to her twice about this junk and she keeps pulling out my name when she thinks it will benefit her.

TL;DR My gf keeps dropping my name like I’m some powerful important person when I’m neither, and I don’t really like being name dropped even if I was. Help?
Wanna see a sitcom where the garbage truck mechanic is somehow one of the most powerful people in the city government.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

holy moly, the OP of this reddit post is an awful person

polygraph beats the other kind of poly for sheer shithead OP score, but too many of the rest are the depressing kind of abusive instead of whatever the gently caress that was

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Haifisch posted:

My[23F] roommate[21F] smashed my family Christmas ornaments

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Wife [37F] keeps trying to join our daughter's [14F] teenage sleepovers. Upset that I [40M] am not supporting her.

I blame reality TV

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stay at home moms all go completely loving batshit insane.

you're a coastal elite pinko from the city of $10 food truck tacos, there's a definite feeder culture in the more midwestern parts of the country where you'll see that kind of thing sometimes. also goons will forever trumpet the one interaction with an obnoxious fatty they've ever had, or the one they heard about someone else having, the same way they will the evangelical vegan oppressing them for wanting a McChicken.

Makes sense. There's 'fat because I indulge myself when eating and understand that people eat what they like', and 'fat because everyone eats like me and anyone who doesn't eat like me must be unhealthy and weird'.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Yeah this doesn’t really live up to OPs delusional idea of how messed up or at all unique this garden variety story of two moron dirtbags is.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stay at home moms all go completely loving batshit insane.
Not all of them, but the ones that don't are the ones that are smart enough to maintain a life and identity outside of being a mother.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

quote:

quote:

I wonder if this is something she has seen her mom/parents do?
Her dad’s a former detective so that......actually seems kind of likely now that i think of it.

the cops the cops' genes

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 3, 2018

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So some background, we've been married almost 15 years. Our oldest daughter is 14, younger son is 10. My wife is currently a SAHM and has been for the past decade. I feel like she's going through a personal crisis right now where our youngest has become fiercely independent and so is our oldest, so she feels like she's losing her babies. Nonetheless, I think the way she's dealing with it is very harmful to our kids and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because she refuses to get any therapy/counseling (believe me I've tried) and our kids are becoming increasingly distant from their overbearing mother. I can only do so much to mediate things but I'm feeling stuck.

Our daughter, basically in the past year, has made a very close group of friends and they like to have girls sleepovers every Friday. It's a great development from elementary where she had very few friends and felt lonely. She's at the age where she likes to do things with her friends alone (like see movies, go to the mall, etc) and what I always do is drop her off and pick her up at a predetermined time. This is what all her friends' parents do as well.

Anyways, recently my wife has gotten more and more upset because she wants to join our daughter on their sleepovers. At first it started off as my wife wanting our daughter to host all sleepovers at our house, which was fine, but daughter quickly changed her mind when she realized mom was there ALL the time. I tried to make her come upstairs with me and just hang out in the kitchen/living room/whatever while the girls played in the basement downstairs but my wife refused. She HAD to be down there with the rest of the girls, she'd even bring down her own blankets/pillows to sleep with them. Obviously our daughter was upset and embarrassed and now refuses to have sleepovers at our own house. Wife is in denial about why though and insists that it's because daughter's friends are too bossy.

So now the biggest issue has to do with my wife wanting to go with our daughter on her sleepovers away. She insists that she just wants to keep an eye on the girls and she's worried about them looking up inappropriate things on the internet or discussing inappropriate things. She says she feels the other parents aren't responsible enough and that's why she needs to go. This has been a huge thing between mom and daughter, with our daughter now actively avoiding her mom even at home.

I'm really frustrated because I tell my wife that we need to get some counseling for her anxiety/unfounded fears and yet she blows up at me. She claims that I'm not supporting her enough on this one matter (barging in on sleepovers) and that we need to be a united front to the other parents. She once showed up at our daughter's friends house (during a sleepover) demanding to be let in. I didn't even know this because she told ME she was going to the grocery store. The friends' parents flat out refused and told her to go home in a rude manner, so she came home crying to me saying that we needed to confront them as a team. I refused as well.

Honestly what is left for me to do if my wife A) refuses therapy/counseling for her fears and B) won't listen to reason when it comes to why she can't join teenagers' sleepovers? She's also perpetually mad at me for not siding with her, even though I tell her I think she's being really unfair and exhibiting bad parenting to our two kids, who have really pulled away from her in the past 2 years as a result of her steamrolling over their growing independence.

What is left to do??

​tldr-- Wife insists on joining our teenage daughter on her sleepovers with friends. Daughter is embarrassed and distant from mom, and wife is angry I'm not supporting her enough on this. I'm stuck because wife also refuses all therapy for her unfounded fears and anxieties. What can I do still?

Mom crazy so what

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Looked in the comments, and what a surprise:

OP posted:

She doesn’t want to get a job. I’ve been pro-job since our kids were 7-8 since school occupies most of their time and wife would have days free. She thinks a job would detract away from childcare so she isn’t willing yet. Her ideal timeline would be to get a job after our youngest turns 18.

As for hobbies she’s never had any hobbies really, for as long as I’ve known her. Our kids became her biggest project and that’s where she focuses all her energy on. She’ll do all their homework with them to make sure they understand everything. We’ve had fights over this because I believe kids need to have room to make mistakes and learn from them themselves but my wife thinks it’s 100% better to have an adult nearby always.
She's going to go 100% insane once all the kids have left the nest. (As opposed to now, where she's just 90% insane)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

She's going to go 100% insane once all the kids have left the nest. (As opposed to now, where she's just 90% insane)

Holy poo poo those girls are gonna be disasters when they finally escape.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

OP posted:

I’ve always thought it had something to do with our kids growing up and needing her less. Our younger son used to be a mamas boy but ever since he turned 8 he became fiercely independent. He plays with his own friends outside and my wife can’t keep up anymore. He skateboards and rides his bike around so my wife literally can’t catch him sometime.

Our daughter is more of a homebody but still, no one wants their mom at a sleepover. My wife is obsessed with the idea that the girls will talk about bad boys and sex and drugs when left alone and that’s why she thinks she needs to be there. She believes it’s her job to “guide” their conversations and mold their minds before it’s too late.

OP posted:

It’s like she has a warped view of everything that’s gone on to make her 100% faultless. When the incident happened with her confronting the friends parents wanting to be let in, daughter ended up ignoring her mom for a week. I begged my wife to apologize, because daughter was rightfully humiliated, but my wife thought SHE deserved an apology from daughter because daughter didn’t come to the door and didn’t answer her calls and the parents didn’t let her in their house. She said daughter humiliated her and so she deserves the apology.

OP posted:

I’ve been very supportive of my kids, but it’s had the opposite effect where now my wife thinks we’re teaming up against her and that it’s so unfair that the kids are close to me now when she was the SAHM that did most of the child raising.

It’s near impossible to get through to her, because now our daughter makes a beeline for me every time she gets home and wife will fume about it for hours. Then she doubles down on the overbearing parenting to force daughter back which causes our daughter to pull away even more. It’s a terrible cycle.

I’ve tried explaining this to her but she just doesn’t see where she could be wrong. Like she’s in 100% denial over how her parenting isn’t the best.
gently caress it, :sever:.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

Don't need you gaslighting me about it being an imaginary thing that never comes up kthx. I didn't mention it as some weird bid to score points, it's a pretty common thing plenty of people have experienced and I dunno why you'd wanna deny it.
Not everyone having your experiences isn't gaslight lmbo

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Haifisch posted:

gently caress it, :sever:.

She’d better pick out her username for the estranged parent forums now before the good ones are all taken, no one wants to be MyUngr8fulChildren55859934

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

polygraph beats the other kind of poly for sheer shithead OP score, but too many of the rest are the depressing kind of abusive instead of whatever the gently caress that was

one of those situations where everyone in the story is extremely terrible

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Haifisch posted:

Reminds me of the one where the mom was turning everything the kids did into a learning opportunity, to the point where one of the kids didn't know what to do when prompted to draw whatever they wanted in school (because they didn't understand what lesson they were supposed to learn from doing so).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Buy her an account (for an Estranged Parents forum)

E: dangit

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Araenna posted:

Not everyone having your experiences isn't gaslight lmbo

You’re not arguing that other people don’t have that experience, you’re arguing that ArbitraryC hasn’t had that experience, or that they actually did something to deserve it, which is actually gaslighting.

E: Unless I misunderstand you?

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 3, 2018

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Haifisch posted:

Wanna see a sitcom where the garbage truck mechanic is somehow one of the most powerful people in the city government.

It's called Parks and Rec.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Reminds me of the one where the mom was turning everything the kids did into a learning opportunity, to the point where one of the kids didn't know what to do when prompted to draw whatever they wanted in school (because they didn't understand what lesson they were supposed to learn from doing so).

To the point where she took them to a funfair and spent all the time telling them how the rides worked without actually letting them ride them, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My SO [21 M] breaks important promise to me [20 F] on his 21st birthday because of his fraternity brothers.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost two years. Early on in the relationship he broke my trust by saying I love you to another girl and possibly touching another girls boobs at a fraternity party. I found out all of this on my own, he never told me. Needless to say, we made a lot of changes to our relationship which mean him going out less because I didn’t trust him. So his 21st was coming up and I was getting more and more nervous as the days got closer. He wanted to go out with his fraternity brothers and bar hop and have some beers. Considering how nervous I was, he promised he would be back by 12:30am (they started the night at 7:30pm - so 5 hours out drinking). Well, 12:30pm rolls around and I don’t get a single text from him even though he had been texting me all night. He stays out until 2:30am, continuously bar hopping and drinking more alcohol. He finally texts me at 2:30am and tells me that his friends took his phone. I asked him why he didn’t keep his promise and why he couldn’t have just told them he wanted to go home? He said they kept forcing alcohol down him and that they wouldn’t give his phone back. I was basically having a really rough night not hearing from him and he knowingly broke our promise because he couldn’t stand up to his frat bros. I understand it was his 21st but there’s still a level of respect you have to give our girlfriend of almost two years. I honestly felt betrayed, like he prioritized his friends first, and like I can’t trust him to keep even bigger and more important promises in the future. I'm worried i am overreacting. Thoughts?

TL;DR My boyfriend of two years broke a promise he made to me on his 21st birthday. We have been working through trust issues and this promise was really important to me. I want to hear thoughts on if I’m overreacting.