Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pylons posted:

Was it while they were docked on the station? You need to right click on it and hit "select" in the window that pops up.

Do I need an administration section? I do, don’t I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Do I need an administration section? I do, don’t I?

No, I didn't.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can you not open up the map with "m" when flying? I have to go through the enter menu or get up from my seat and then press "m" for it to come up.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Am i missing something, how do i get an explorer ship able to explore a sector as a notch or 2 above snail pace???

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What is actually the point of SETA now, just to speed up time generally?

Couple of grievances from long time X3 player:

- Why have they removed ship shield reactor / weapon reactor outputs? This means you can in the tiniest fighter ship take down every cap ship if you find a blind spot. This also means that a ship with more weapon slots is always superior.
- I miss the verbose ship computer? Seems like you dont really get any information for stuff you click or look at. Not even sectors are announced.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How the hell do you reopen the ship radar? :downs:

Decided to check what the "radar display" option does, set it to integrated and it just disappeared. Same when setting it back to "separate panel"

E: Setting radar display to off returned it to its proper spot. I....... whatever.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Naturally Selected posted:

E: Setting radar display to off returned it to its proper spot. I....... whatever.

lmao

oh egosoft never change

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Man, if you get a signal offering you a quest for lucrative opportunity, take it! It unlocks a bar!

This game seriously needs more mundane crap. I want to be able to sit in the copilot chair, I want a lounge on my spaceship. Give me 10-Forward!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Okay hello, 15 hours in and here are my roadblocks, X vets please help:

1. I can't find any Unstable Crystals

2. How do I expand my PHQ to actually start manufacturing and selling things? I got a manager and a black marketeer there but they're just sitting around right now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mp5 posted:

Okay hello, 15 hours in and here are my roadblocks, X vets please help:

1. I can't find any Unstable Crystals

2. How do I expand my PHQ to actually start manufacturing and selling things? I got a manager and a black marketeer there but they're just sitting around right now.

I found a station selling them!... Four of them :doh: But it was in Second Contact VII, there was a HAT Free Port. EDIT: -3,-1 hex position wise. I used a Wormhole to get in and have yet to leave :downs: Though I figure one of these two accelerators will spit be back out into regular argon space.

I went for a walk while the game was left running. Still sold out two hours later :downs:

On that note, how do you track down what stations sell what outside of trade goods that isn't "Dock and walk over to the sales counter to check". How do you order NPCs to buy and sell that poo poo for you?

Given the ease you can track in realtime the exact count of trade wares across the galaxy, AND order NPCs to pick up trade wares (Buy a 6 pack of antimatter. no reason just do it). It would be nice to know "What stations sell suit bomb launcher AMMO, to go with the bomb launcher you can buy everywhere" among other Non trade wares info.

EDIT: On a lighter note. A station rapidly cycling through L sized ships docking and undocking mere feet away from the conveyor belts is pretty metal. Literally, given the massive metal plates that rise so high above me I'd fall over trying to look up at it in person.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 3, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

how derpy do the aliens look in this?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Section Z posted:

I found a station selling them!... Four of them :doh: But it was in Second Contact VII, there was a HAT Free Port. EDIT: -3,-1 hex position wise. I used a Wormhole to get in and have yet to leave :downs: Though I figure one of these two accelerators will spit be back out into regular argon space.

Was this the regular trader or a black market guy in some corner somewhere or what?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Synthbuttrange posted:

how derpy do the aliens look in this?

Pretty drat derpy, and that’s even before they start running the wrong way on a moving floor.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Look at all you guys buying an Egosoft game on release, shaaaaaame.
I kid, but it's probably going to be way better after a year of patches and hopefully the MARS patch gets made for this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mp5 posted:

Was this the regular trader or a black market guy in some corner somewhere or what?

Plain old regular trader who stands next to the crafting bench.

EDIT: Looks like my hot streak of "4 skill pilot knows how to loving dock at an open top space station" has been broken.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 3, 2018

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Naturally Selected posted:

Decided to check what the "radar display" option does, set it to integrated and it just disappeared. Same when setting it back to "separate panel"

Over the weekend I went through an endless cycle of watching a stream, nearly pulling out my credit card, quickly reading this thread, then putting the card away. It was a bizarre hype/anti-hype loop for two days. It finally ended watching a guy try to figure out why he had six mining ships allegedly mining but his bank account was on constant drain. He was angry and wanted to shoot something, tried to buy a new weapon, then lost it because there's no dps to compare and the vs shields/vs hull thing isn't displayed. It all went downhill from there and he started rambling about how great star citizen was going to be. :v:

Egosoft, please unfuck game so I can buy it and lose months of my life.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Has anyone tried out the nemesis vanguard? Since turrets are iffy even with hitscan beams and controlling fighters is weird in sector nemesis seems like it has good player ship potential with its 5 forward mounted guns.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Found a station with space fuel distillery and a place buying space fuel for twice as much in the same system. Well thats a nice profit.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
You can hold shift and drag select multiple ships. You can order them to trade wares (but not installed equipment) and they'll transfer them in space the hard way.

The filter section on the map can show you the best deals across every station on screen. You can hover the cursor over the hexagons to see the exact supply or demand and you can right click them to assign a ship to make a trade there.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 3, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Regarding turrets: A dev posted on the Steam discussion boards that turrets do not work. The issue is that they do not update the targeting position of the enemy ship frequent enough due to performance concerns. It is a known issue and the dev said he would "assign someone to it" but seeing how they released the game knowing fully well that turrets don't work at all I don't have high hopes.

cheesetriangles posted:

Found a station with space fuel distillery and a place buying space fuel for twice as much in the same system. Well thats a nice profit.

In what sector?

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Had anyone been able to do a successful inventory delivery mission yet? Every time I approach the station I get a message informing me the mission was failed due to the recipient of the quest dying. I heard from someone that its due to the NPC you're supposed to turn it in to fails to spawn and thus the message. Was just curious if anyone's been able to get one. My failure rate is 100% currently

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

Regarding turrets: A dev posted on the Steam discussion boards that turrets do not work. The issue is that they do not update the targeting position of the enemy ship frequent enough due to performance concerns. It is a known issue and the dev said he would "assign someone to it" but seeing how they released the game knowing fully well that turrets don't work at all I don't have high hopes.

In what sector?

The hitscan weapons works okayish but projectiles are pretty dire.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Had anyone been able to do a successful inventory delivery mission yet? Every time I approach the station I get a message informing me the mission was failed due to the recipient of the quest dying. I heard from someone that its due to the NPC you're supposed to turn it in to fails to spawn and thus the message. Was just curious if anyone's been able to get one. My failure rate is 100% currently

I’ve only had these work if you do then immediately.

Speaking of inventory, does anyone buy “delirium” it has a value of 600k but can’t sell it.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

hobbesmaster posted:

The hitscan weapons works okayish but projectiles are pretty dire.

I’ve only had these work if you do then immediately.

Speaking of inventory, does anyone buy “delirium” it has a value of 600k but can’t sell it.

I was told earlier that they're sold to black markets, which you unlock by progressing the story or doing scanner-acquired missions or whatever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

None of the black market vendors I’ve unlocked buy it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
At least turrets seem to work correctly for damage calculations out of sector to defend your freighters from some pesky bandits. Is anyone else really pissed with how weapons work in this game? Theres almost no variety and the game does not tell you how they perform, how long you can fire the weapon in a row etc. With no reactor energy consumption this just means buy as many of the most expensive weapon you can find.

Also apparently capital ships don't have dedicated weaponry exclusive to them?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

X4 has a lot to like but a lot of this game is just straight up busted. Hopefully they fix the stuff that needs fixing and it becomes a great game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As someone that played vanilla x3 this isn’t busted at all!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah this is pretty amazing compared to the X3 Reunion launch. Still, i hope that they will eventually change how weapons and shields work back to the old way.

Also please let me know if my traders actually are making a profit via stats!

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

hobbesmaster posted:

None of the black market vendors I’ve unlocked buy it.

oh, well, if you find out please do update us

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

As someone that played vanilla x3 this isn’t busted at all!

Yup. By Egosoft standards this is pretty well optimised and functioning. I'm actually kind of enjoying it to be honest - there's an endearing quality to it, even if there's alot of parts to it that clearly still need fleshed out, or even just explained a bit better. Mods, scripts and patches should iron out the problems eventually.

I think my biggest issue with it so far as the map - the trading boxes are extremely annoying and it's a pain having to zoom in and out constantly to find out information. Even if you use the filtering system, you'll still need to zoom in/out to find the relevant station and location in which you want to trade. It's extremely frustrating.

Still, i'm willing to continue. It isn't Rebirth levels of completely broken.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Damned if this game isn't pretty as hell, though. :allears:

Beam turrets seem to work fine on the Pergrine, at least.

Although, funnily enough the M-sized, 4x turret+2M front-facing guns Peregrine is about 50% faster than a Buzzard. Touch slower to get up there, but 145m/s faster in cruise and ~1200m/s faster in travel. This loving thing MOVES.

Mailer posted:

Over the weekend I went through an endless cycle of watching a stream, nearly pulling out my credit card, quickly reading this thread, then putting the card away. It was a bizarre hype/anti-hype loop for two days. It finally ended watching a guy try to figure out why he had six mining ships allegedly mining but his bank account was on constant drain. He was angry and wanted to shoot something, tried to buy a new weapon, then lost it because there's no dps to compare and the vs shields/vs hull thing isn't displayed. It all went downhill from there and he started rambling about how great star citizen was going to be. :v:

Egosoft, please unfuck game so I can buy it and lose months of my life.

Honestly, even in its current state, the game is great. Some stuff is poorly explained/implemented, but that's pretty much the X series in a nutshell :v: It'll get better once the equivalents to MARS and CLS comes, but it's still drat good.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I got a Teladi guild mission to source a 'cerberus' freighter, but the mission marker just leads to a point in empty space. Am I supposed to buy the ship somewhere and then take it to the marker? If so, where can I get it?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drunk in Space posted:

I got a Teladi guild mission to source a 'cerberus' freighter, but the mission marker just leads to a point in empty space. Am I supposed to buy the ship somewhere and then take it to the marker? If so, where can I get it?

Cerberus is an Argon model frigate. Pay close attention to if it wants a Cerberus Vanguard, Or Cerberus Sentinel. The Vanguard is sold by ARG Argon Feds, while the Sentinel is sold by ANT Antigones. At least, so far as I've seen.

I know this because I was staring at shopping menus for later. I can't for the life of me work out how to look up what is for sale at the vendor counters, but I can remote buy custom space ships if I want without even a satellite watching the place.

When you have 3 million but cant decide on your first* ship. The Pulsar looks like a promising heavy fighter though. Only one shield, but 6 weapon mounts, and it still can hit 5k with travel engines (and you pay for it with x3 engines :v: )

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 3, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I'm a bighuge X2/X3 fan but man X4 is extremely frustrating. Pretty much everything is bugged in some way.

Guild missions where you have to repair data leaks do not work, your repair gun destroys them failing the mission. Regular data leak repair missions do work.

Missions where you have to find some lost cargo that has 2 lockboxes are bugged. Either there is only 1 box to be found or if you find the second one the missions switches from "Find Lockboxes 1/2" to "Find the lockbox" making it impossible to complete.

The autopilot barely works, either it flies straight into a station, asteroid or portal, giving you the message "autopilot epic fail" (??????) or it just disables itself mid-journey, preferably while you are travelling in that huge circle circuit making you do laps around the galaxy until you re-enable the autopilot. Funnily enough getting up from your seat and having the AI captain pilot the ship works really well. The autopilot works if you want to go a short distance within the same sector.

The autotraders are also bugged, if they are not straight up losing you money they will fill up with either small amounts of water/energy cells and make long pondering journeys to go at best +/- 0 or just fill up with stuff they can't sell, for example Hull Plates.

Turrets are not working (as per a dev post).

The combat AI is....bugged, you can kill any ship with any ship if you are in a 1v1 situation given enough time/patience. If you face several enemies you will die from collisions, not by getting hit. Since turrets don't work enemy ships with them are no danger at all, the danger comes from getting suicide rammed by them.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Good thing is X4 has apparently crossed the all-time high of people playing an X game on Steam (Reunion), which implies they’ll be good on continuing development for the foreseeable future. It’s also up on GOG, where I’m sure it sold a bunch, too. The downside is by releasing in the usual Egosoft fashion, they’re risking a bunch of bad reviews, but maybe, at this point, they don’t care.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Mokotow posted:

Good thing is X4 has apparently crossed the all-time high of people playing an X game on Steam (Reunion), which implies they’ll be good on continuing development for the foreseeable future. It’s also up on GOG, where I’m sure it sold a bunch, too. The downside is by releasing in the usual Egosoft fashion, they’re risking a bunch of bad reviews, but maybe, at this point, they don’t care.

90% of the bad reviews I saw on release were by people who literally played less than an hour, and have probably never played an X game in their life. Sure, attracting new players is a good thing, but X is its own beast. As someone said in the thread earlier, 'it's an Egosoft game, give it a month before you decide how you feel about it'

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So I hired a builder I gave the PHW all my money but its not making the first dock? What am I doing wrong?

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Did you give it time to fly to the station? This can take a while if like me you make it come from several sectors away. Is it listed in the planning screen?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sedisp posted:

So I hired a builder I gave the PHW all my money but its not making the first dock? What am I doing wrong?

It took literally 1-2 hours for it to start building for me. Presumably the time it took the builder to reach the base, but holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Time to do the time honored tradition of leaving the game running in your sleep.