Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"sentient universe desperate for a friend" is a great episode.

"blind norweigian girl scared of fake monsters" is a great episode

I have no idea why they need to be the same episode.

They actually fit together quite well, actually. Both center around beings creating elaborate lies for people they should care about, but are too distanced to really comprehend - one by grief, one through by physical incompatibility with out universe. The Frog Sequence* drives this home. The Solitract deeply cares about the people it traps... once they've been trapped. Anyone on the outside isn't quite comprehensible to it, just as Erik isn't capable of seeing his daughter as a real person.

There were a lot of layers here, and I'm looking forward to thinking about it over the next few days. Haven't been able to do that with a Doctor Who episode in a while.

*Playing this Friday in the Co-Op Basement! Tickets available from band members!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AndyElusive posted:

That has got to be the crown jewel episode of the season, right? Or am I just a terrible Doctor Who fan who ate that episode up.

Well we're all terrible for various reasons, but no you're right, for me that was absolutely the best episode of the season so far.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Next season's new companion:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Best of the series and it wasn't close.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

Next season's new companion:

A companion that only moves when Graham is alone with it, and he keeps desperately trying to convince an unsettled Ryan and Yaz that it is alive and moves. The Doctor, of course, completely believes him.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I just hope that, starting next season, every episode will end with the Doctor telling a terrible joke from one of her grandmothers, Welcome Back, Kotter style.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

13: Of course, she thought Granny 2 was a secret agent Zygon an-
Nick Briggs rewinds DVR while salivating.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
That episode was crazy in the best way. I think the frog thing was both dumb and perfect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LividLiquid posted:

Best of the series and it wasn't close.

Demons of the Punjab was better, but I appreciated tonight's go for broke sci-fi silliness

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this was definitely the standout to me. This is what I want from Doctor Who, some crazy sci-fi shenanigans with the occasional emotional punch in there too. And also the Doctor making friends with a sentient universe that is also a frog.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Doctor Who needs to go full batshit 70s high concept more often, because that was really good. :)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Best episode of the season so far for me.
The subtle audio beat during the whole episode was well done.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think it's tied for me between this and The Demons. I like them for different reasons, and there's basically no overlap in what appeals to me about them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I like them for different reasons, and there's basically no overlap in what appeals to me about them.

Yeah I have to agree, even if I still place The Woman Who Fell to Earth slightly above Demons. It Takes You Away and Demons of the Punjab are such different episodes, both great in such different ways.

Although I love that both episodes have titles with different meanings based on later context within the episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For me so far, Best to Whatever:

It Takes You Away
Tsuranga Conundrum
Demons of the Punjab
Arachnids in the UK
Rosa
The Witchfinders
Kerblam!
The Woman Who Fell to Earth
The Ghost Monument

- The ending of Tsuranga had already been done in The Expanse, but it was a solid episode with some nice far-future weirdness that reminded me a bit of the far-future stuff we used to get in RTD episodes. Plus the alien was basically Stitch, right down to the squat little body.
- Punjab and It Takes You Away are the only emotional plots that have landed for me this season. Killing off Grace for little reason in the pilot left a bad taste in my mouth, but at least Graham got a nice bit of closure in ITYA.
- Rosa was fine, but parts of it tread a little too close to “I couldn’t have done it without you, Doctor!” territory and the scene with Rosa being pulled off the bus really didn’t need a slow distracting pop song played over it.
- Witchfinders and Kerblam would both be ranked higher had they not completely botched their resolutions.
- I honestly forgot Ghost Monument existed until I looked at the list of episodes.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As good as Demons was and as mildly competent as Witchfinders was, this has really been the only time this season Doctor Who actually felt weird. This was some proper Logopolis/Castrovalva bizarre rear end-poo poo. And it actually remembered to do something interesting with the companions! Well, one of them actually, which is still one more than pretty much any other episode this season. Ed Hime for showrunner I guess, whoever he is.

EDIT: Also, good to see that monster of the week from Season 2 of Buffy is still getting work, I like that guy.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 3, 2018

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

13: Of course, she thought Granny 2 was a secret agent Zygon an-
Nick Briggs rewinds DVR while salivating.

There's no way he records them on DVR. He's got a casette recorder next to the speaker on his telly.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Best episode of the season, edging out Demons.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

"The conservatory is the most dangerous room."

Come on Ryan! How many houses have a conservatory?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rochallor posted:

Ed Hime for showrunner I guess, whoever he is.

His IMDB is a weird gulf; it's two episodes of Skins, and then It Takes You Away. But that's because most of his career between those two points has been writing plays and radio dramas. And I don't think it surprises anyone that this episode is written by someone who writes for the stage; you could basically do this entire thing with a single stage and some clever set design.

As much as I love both Rosa and Demons of the Punjab, yeah, this has to be my favorite of the season. Those two would be great stories in entirely different shows, but It Takes You Away is something that could only be a great episode of Doctor Who. And it does so well at it without leaning on any of the crutches of Doctor Who.

...and I may have to compare some notes between this and something I once wrote about a literal mirror universe, because I swear I've written this before!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barrowman injured on I’m a Celebrity. Of course he does it in the way that only a Who companion would.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
"We need a girl who is blind and has a Nordic accent"
"Does she have to be blind, or could she just wear dark glasses?"
"She has to be properly blind, else people will complain on Twitter"
"Okay, found someone who is blind and can do the accent. Mind you, she can't act"
"Meh, good enough"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It is sincerely better that a blind actress get roles and paid work than that they meet your weird standards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DoctorWhat posted:

It is sincerely better that a blind actress get roles and paid work than that they meet your weird standards.

What, 'being able to act' is a weird standard?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There are plenty of sighted actors on Doctor Who who can't act worth a drat, so I see nothing wrong with some slightly ropey acting.

That reminds me, the bit with the Doctor writing that her dad was probably dead on the wall was a cool, Doctor-y moment... but not for this Doctor. I could see it coming from... 9, maybe 11? It definitely doesn't seem like a 13 moment, even as loosely as her character has been defined so far.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Barrowman injured on I’m a Celebrity. Of course he does it in the way that only a Who companion would.

Thoughts and prayers to his wife and children. :v:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I agree. And I love the casting of one shot characters this series.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

spog posted:

What, 'being able to act' is a weird standard?

Yeah. It is.

Rochallor posted:

There are plenty of sighted actors on Doctor Who who can't act worth a drat, so I see nothing wrong with some slightly ropey acting.

That reminds me, the bit with the Doctor writing that her dad was probably dead on the wall was a cool, Doctor-y moment... but not for this Doctor. I could see it coming from... 9, maybe 11? It definitely doesn't seem like a 13 moment, even as loosely as her character has been defined so far.

It's 12 as hell, I'd say.

Also it's very appropriate that 13 wants to make friends with an entire universe

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. It is.

It's 12 as hell, I'd say.

Also it's very appropriate that 13 wants to make friends with an entire universe

I feel like 12 would just come out and say it, except that in Series 10 he'd be nicer about it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rochallor posted:

I feel like 12 would just come out and say it, except that in Series 10 he'd be nicer about it.

yeah I rather liked that scene - you could see some of that harsh pragmatism shine through in 13, but moderated in a way to try not to needlessly upset someone

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of harsh pragmatism, I just realised that Ryan was 100% correct at the start of the episode when he said the girl's father probably just hosed off and left her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rochallor posted:

12 was always good with kids, remember Hide? It was adults he was a dick to .

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

eke out posted:

yeah I rather liked that scene - you could see some of that harsh pragmatism shine through in 13, but moderated in a way to try not to needlessly upset someone

It's one of those moments that would be done different by every Doctor, especially in the revival, which I love. Twelve would've just said it, Eleven probably would've lied very loudly to himself and everyone else. Thirteen, though, is playing it very delicately, using the concrete facts she already has to do what she thinks is the right thing... only for the whole plan to stumble because she didn't manage to factor in the human element quite right.

The only revival Doctor I can imagine doing largely the same things would be Ten, and even then, he'd probably only do the same things on the surface; I feel like his underlying logic and reasoning would be entirely different for it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

12 was always good with kids, remember Hide? It was adults he was a dick to .

Hide was 11, Listen was 12.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cleretic posted:

It's one of those moments that would be done different by every Doctor.

Tom Baker (cheerfully) "Your father's probably dead." *manic grin, before dropping down to a serious tone* "But this mirror..."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Patrovsky posted:

"The conservatory is the most dangerous room."

Come on Ryan! How many houses have a conservatory?

Hey, I appreciate a good Clue(do) joke.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Watching this episode high was a very strange experience.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pesky Splinter posted:

Tom Baker (cheerfully) "Your father's probably dead." *manic grin, before dropping down to a serious tone* "But this mirror..."

Five: "Ah. Now. Well... Tegan, you explain, I'll get the mirror open."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Seven: Ah, I’m sure he’s arrrround somewherrrre. Wouldn’t you agree, Ace? Now, about this mirrrrrorrrr...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Organza Quiz posted:

Speaking of harsh pragmatism, I just realised that Ryan was 100% correct at the start of the episode when he said the girl's father probably just hosed off and left her.

Yeah, that was good - plus he didn't go "I told you so", showing that he'd learnt to empathise with her. Character growth (dunno if it was intentional, mind you)!