Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The Puppet Master posted:

yes but the nhs will be sold off at first chance to American Healthcare companies so

love how your lovely comeback is the threat of having a healthcare system nearly as bad as the one you have already have to put up with talk about a self own lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

qirex posted:

I never had audio problems with ios11 and I listen to music on my phone like 4-6 hours a day

I guess you could say it worked on my machine, it's possible you had a hardware fault or something but assumed it was the os

i did and it was so obnoxious and made me lose faith they never bothered to fix it until ios 12

the known way of fixing it was reinstalling ios 11, but i was hoping for an earlier fix

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

qirex posted:

I never had audio problems with ios11 and I listen to music on my phone like 4-6 hours a day

I guess you could say it worked on my machine, it's possible you had a hardware fault or something but assumed it was the os

considering it went away after each reinstall of ios only to pop up later (until ios 12 came out) that's one hell of a hardware problem

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

a ton of people had this problem

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8343622

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8408058

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8353369

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8434859

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hey they were busy trying to get advanced features into iMessage like "display texts in proper order".

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

ios 11 had a bad audio bug where it would skip every few seconds or repeat the same fraction of a second in a staccato fashion. this bug persisted through all of the minor versions of ios 11 because i had to do it more than once

also, a lot of cases of "apple is throttling my phone because the battery is old" :argh: is actually because ios poo poo itself internally and the battery is fine

ios is a pile of poo poo and i'm genuinely surprised you've never had to reinstall it unless the iphone xs/xr is your first phone and you've only owned it for a few months

I’ve had an iPhone since the iPhone 4, and had been using iOS since before that on an iTouch

never had to “reinstall” iOS. I did have to restore a device to factory settings once or twice.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Doc Block posted:

never had to “reinstall” iOS. I did have to restore a device to factory settings once or twice.

this is splitting hairs, what exactly is the difference here

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shifty Pony posted:

hey they were busy trying to get advanced features into iMessage like "display texts in proper order".

to be fair everyone seems to have this problem. facebook etc just gave up on fixing it and persuaded people it was a clever algorithm instead

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

this is splitting hairs, what exactly is the difference here

well one is wiping out the current installation and reinstalling the OS

one is just deleting your stuff and reverting your settings. equivalent to deleting your user account and creating a new one.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doc Block posted:

one is just deleting your stuff and reverting your settings. equivalent to deleting your user account and creating a new one.

more importantly one requires interaction with iTunes and is much worse as a result.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Doc Block posted:

does the erase step make your phone identical to a boxed iphone that's never been used? that was my impression (that an erased iphone running ios 12.1 is identical to a boxed iphone with a factory copy of 12.1)

if not then i see what you mean, if so, then that's some impressive hair splitting

icloud backup makes the restore easier but it's still fundamentally the same recipe of erase -> start with fresh os -> restore

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

if we're going to split that hair, it's not like "reset to factory settings" is any less of a hassle. i had to make sure all of my duo and google authenticator 2-factor data would restore and make sure i had a backup plans for those accounts just in case

it's inexcusable that it's necessary to reset your phone to fix an audio bug just because apple decided to delay the release of the fix to ios 12.0

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 1, 2018

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

ios 11 had a bad audio bug where it would skip every few seconds or repeat the same fraction of a second in a staccato fashion. this bug persisted through all of the minor versions of ios 11 because i had to do it more than once

also, a lot of cases of "apple is throttling my phone because the battery is old" :argh: is actually because ios poo poo itself internally and the battery is fine

ios is a pile of poo poo and i'm genuinely surprised you've never had to reinstall it unless the iphone xs/xr is your first phone and you've only owned it for a few months

You're holding it wrong lol

Chiming in that I've never had to reinstall iOS since my iPhone 4s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

does the erase step make your phone identical to a boxed iphone that's never been used? that was my impression (that an erased iphone running ios 12.1 is identical to a boxed iphone with a factory copy of 12.1)

there's dfu mode and there's factory reset and they are not even remotely the same thing even if at the end of both you have an idevice with factory defaults

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i think he just means restore via itunes rather than dfu mode or the "erase all settings" option.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

he's not a staunch republican, just a political opportunist

He seems to be in a mad rush to mitigate the administration's anti-China moves, wherever possible. Makes you wonder what his predecessor would have done. On that note-

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

every time i read this i think this is the worst timeline

Imagine if Jobes never got sick and ran in 2016 to stop Trump

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

there's a timeline where the military parade happened already and that one is worse than ours

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
steven p jobs being president of the us would also be very bad

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Yes, but the fun is in imagining in what specific ways it would have been bad

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
main question would be "would the reality distortion field have worked on other national and world leaders?"

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

main question would be "would the reality distortion field have worked on other national and world leaders?"

yah until another country dares to sink a carrier and pops the paper tiger bubble, yah

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol if you think sinking a carrier would do anything but escalate a conflict

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Stebe would go nuclear just because another country dared to build an aircraft carrier that copied “his” design

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
imagine an aircraft carrier that is a featureless solid block of aluminum floating in the south china sea

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Beautiful butterfly switch aircraft elevators.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Identification Friend or Foe systems that require the aircraft to hover 200ft over the flight deck and fails if the aircraft has a new paint job.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

they still ship macs with spinning hard drives

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2018/11/27/poor-mac-performance-without-a-ssd/

quote:

Opening Microsoft Word literally took over a minute before the icon stopped bouncing in the Dock.

https://twitter.com/colincornaby/status/1067537366154305536

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/c4OlNiK.mp4

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i was halfway expecting a gnome here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

idgi

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
now playing on apples youtube channel - a short feature about...blinged-out anime trucks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCrxa5UECB4

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

imagine an aircraft carrier that is a featureless solid block of aluminum floating in the south china sea

did you even see jobs' yacht, bro?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it is very slow because Apple doesn't bother to optimize their hard drive access into sequential reads. NVMe SSDs have allowed them to get sloppy.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it looks like normal osx performance though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

it is very slow because Apple doesn't bother to optimize their hard drive access into sequential reads. NVMe SSDs have allowed them to get sloppy.

who the gently caress cares?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Don't buy a computer that doesn't have an SSD. It'll always be dog slow, even on Windows.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Shifty Pony posted:

it's the first launch of safari though right? it's probably setting stuff up for that. afterwards it launches waaay faster, especially if it doesn't need to reopen hundreds of tabs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lambert posted:

Don't buy a computer that doesn't have an SSD. It'll always be dog slow, even on Windows.

this summons the stymie

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, i didn't realize that *all* imac tiers default to spinny harddrives, that is the real crime right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol $200 extra to get a 256GB SSD in an imac