Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If someone played music during a thing, I would ask that they stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I want to get scythe with all the expansions. How do I fit everything in one box, including an organizer?

Get the legendary box ($20-25) and one of the organizers that is floating around. If you have access to a laser cutter, there are plans you can buy and get cut to save some money. Look around on the Scythe FB group or BGG for those. Otherwise, the most popular storage solution is the Broken Token organizer + legendary box organizer (fits rise of Fenris & wind gambit). Total cost of those is $85.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

That sounds intensely frustrating. :smith:

Do you or your gaming partners do anything specific to help with hearing what people are doing? I'm mostly asking because I tend towards facilitating games running smoothly and any suggestions for making sure everyone sees and hears what I'm doing would be great.

I think the main thing is to accept that my hearing loss is not personal to you. So if I ask you to repeat yourself it's because I couldn't hear you clearly, not because I want to annoy you. This is the most frustrating part for me, when people get annoyed because I can't hear them, as if somehow they are being put upon to simply repeat themselves. So my boardgaming friends recognize that and don't get annoyed when I can't hear them. I always tell people that I'm hard of hearing so would they mind repeating what they said? Most of the time this works, but sometimes people still get angry.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Makes total sense, thanks for the answer!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bodanarko posted:

Get the legendary box ($20-25) and one of the organizers that is floating around. If you have access to a laser cutter, there are plans you can buy and get cut to save some money. Look around on the Scythe FB group or BGG for those. Otherwise, the most popular storage solution is the Broken Token organizer + legendary box organizer (fits rise of Fenris & wind gambit). Total cost of those is $85.

I have access to a laser cutter. Is there a place where I can find plans for inserts in general, or do you have to track each game down individually?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

I think the main thing is to accept that my hearing loss is not personal to you. So if I ask you to repeat yourself it's because I couldn't hear you clearly, not because I want to annoy you. This is the most frustrating part for me, when people get annoyed because I can't hear them, as if somehow they are being put upon to simply repeat themselves. So my boardgaming friends recognize that and don't get annoyed when I can't hear them. I always tell people that I'm hard of hearing so would they mind repeating what they said? Most of the time this works, but sometimes people still get angry.

You should only play games with people you know well or people who live locally. Failing that, pick a Stefan Feld game. Then friends, Romans and countrymen can lend you their ears.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Thanks for the advice everyone! I've got plenty to explore for a while, and my group can stop complaining about hearing the same things too often. I will also mention a soundtrack I had missed the first time around that is really good: Child of Light.

silvergoose posted:

I think bastion has good music but am unsure what you meant about vocals.

Jamestown has amazing music but is pretty short

What I mean about vocals is not "pop-y" or "metal-y". Dunno if this makes it clearer :v:. I agree that Bastion has great music, but it's a bit too heavy and intense at times. Terminal March is my current ringtone, but it's too heavy for chill-ish background music.
Jamestown is a good idea, I think I'll use it.

al-azad posted:

Legend of Mana's soundtrack is amazing and is the only thing I've heard with a song in Finnish.

This sounds good so far, thanks. A bit synth-y at first glance, but worth a try.

NmareBfly posted:

Endless Legend sounds exactly like what you want.

Divinity Original Sin and the sequel OS2 has IMO one of the best of all time.

Journey, Risk of Rain (may be too techno-ey?).

Endless Legend is perfect and I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it myself. I already use Journey, I just forgot about it. Adding Divinity to the list to try.

Kiranamos posted:

No matter your taste, the Hotline Miami soundtrack is always appropriate.

I agree that it's amazing (and I sneak Hydrogen into some playlist every once in a while later in the evening) but it's not for, let's say, general consumption :v: .

Gutter Owl posted:

The Nier and Nier: Automata OSTs by Keiichi Okabe are must haves, then. As is the Shadow of the Colossus OST by the inimitable Kow Otani.

Not a game soundtrack, but E.S. Posthumus's Unearthed album is probably also up your alley.

Noted. List is getting long so I haven't tried these yet, but I will.

Also noted, thanks.

MG42 posted:

I like Melodice for boardgame music. This website has youtube playlists for a lot of games based on themes. Has videogame music in there as well.

I'm too much of a control freak to "leave it up to chance" like this, but I'll be definitely using this for some discovery. The first piece listed for Galaxy Trucker is def interesting.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I played some dexterity games with guests from japan and they knew rino hero because a comedian played it on japanese tv.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Anecdotally, people almost never ask others to repeat themselves in order to annoy. Anecdotally, people almost always ask for something to be repeated during rules explanation because they weren't paying attention. No human pays attention 100% of the time, but some people start toying with game components, reading printed game materials, looking at their phone, et cetera. I suspect the annoyance directed at you is residual frustration with those other situations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I think bastion has good music but am unsure what you meant about vocals.
The "gods ain't gonna help you son" song is the best intro theme for Malifaux :colbert:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mayveena posted:

That's one of the things I miss the most with my hearing loss. I can't play music during board games anymore because the music takes away from the hearing that I still have left. Maybe one day technology will fix that, but for now, I can't have music while playing board games.

Hey I have that too. :aslol: I never liked music as background in the first place though. I feel like my brain "prioritizes" sound heavily so I can't really treat the music as background really anyway. It's a distraction.

Sound discrimination goes down the toilet with hearing loss so playing somewhere like a board game cafe is exhausting to me even if there is no music playing. It's a cacophony of sound regardless and exhausting to get through.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 2, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

You should only play games with people you know well or people who live locally. Failing that, pick a Stefan Feld game. Then friends, Romans and countrymen can lend you their ears.

Why on earth would you say this????? Geezus can you at least be respectful of people? That's just rude, you're a nasty piece of goods Jedit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Why on earth would you say this????? Geezus can you at least be respectful of people? That's just rude, you're a nasty piece of goods Jedit.

I was trying to make a joke and wasn't aware the subject was a sensitive one. My apologies for any offence caused. :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

I was trying to make a joke and wasn't aware the subject was a sensitive one. My apologies for any offence caused. :(

OK apology accepted. What's funny is that I go to England from time to time to play board games and the British enunciate their words so much better than Americans. Much easier to understand my British friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

you're a nasty piece of goods Jedit.

New thread title!?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indonesia: This looks like a very good game, but for the cost and with components (that the designers recognize are dysfunctional) I just cannot bring myself to buy this game. Too bad. (2 rating).

After seeing the reviews and knowing the quality of game play in Splotter Games I relented and bought the game. Looking forward to playing it. [9 rating]

If this isn’t the most BGG rating to exist. If there’s a more BGG rating I’d love to see it.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ymmv but I have found it effective to just have a phone call going with my friend w hearing aids and keep an earbud mic nearby, so then they get speech directly from that mic. Maybe awkward if not among friends, relies on having Bluetooth hearing aids, and maybe just specifically helpful to my friend’s hearing loss, but it does seem to make it a lot easier for them if there is background noise. It is frustrating the degree to which people don’t expect others to have hearing loss, especially if they don’t have obvious hearing aids or don’t fit the age stereotype ppl have.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

For the future, when someone is talking about their own experiences with regards to some sort of hardship, making light of it can come off pretty badly, especially online where tone isn't always clear.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I just tried Worm Party, a cold war themed complex hidden role selection game where one player rolls a die to determine the difficulty of this round, the other player selects a location and the first player must find the spy, or worm, in the number of tries equal to or less than the pips shown on the die.

Okay yeah we gave our almost-4-year-old a kids dexterityish game for the first night of Hanukkah, where you hide a finger under one of a few cups and the other player tries to guess where it is. Lots of laughter ensued (fingers wiggling like a worm is good fun). He also got to play the punch-out-the-game game!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My brother started a board game club for high schoolers. He asked for recommendations for good intro level games. I usually play pretty heavy stuff so I'm not sure I'm up to date on the best intro level medium weight games. I think I remember reading that people like Raiders of the North Sea?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Well, I just ordered Meltwater, I hope you're all very pleased with yourselves.

Unrelated, but Mayveena, thanks for the thoughtful posts. Accessibility in games is important, and it's also important to remember that that isn't limited to components alone.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can someone explain to me what all the different Scythe expansions do?

I'm looking at the list, and I get there's one with airships and one with more factions which supplement the base game, but are there more? I keep seeing expansions about 'campaign mode' and other things that I'm not sure what counts as a 'base game expansion' and which are a fundamentally different game.

This poo poo is turning into Carcassonne.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There are only three. Not sure where you’re looking up info but BGG makes it very easy.

The first (Invaders from Afar) adds two new factions and are a solid buy.

The second (The Wing Gambit) adds airships (with new abilities for things like movement or combat) along with some new end game modules that change up the game like first to $50 wins instead of 6 stars.

The third (Rise of Fenris) is a completely modular expansion consisting of 11 different bits you can add to your game. It can be dumped straight in as you wish or you can play through the incredibly mediocre “campaign” and unlock things that way. I say “campaign” because it’s pathetically bland and hobbled together more as a marketing blurb than a cohesive experience. Though some of the modules are good and worth adding to Scythe, is stay away for a while until you’ve played a good bit.

In general, the first two are solid and round out Scythe into being a decent game. The third is for die hard fans and just ignore the really stupid story mode included. In general I would recommend just starting with the base game though, it’s pretty overhyped and you might find it bland.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 3, 2018

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

it’s pretty overhyped and you might find it bland.

Finally, the truth! Scythe is proof that a lot of chrome (and traced art) can make a boring game seem like a masterpiece.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm getting Decrypto for Christmas, to play after dinner with my boring, non-gaming normie family. Codenames has worked pretty well, so I'm confident this one will work as well.

Sushi Go has mostly worked, although someone would always end up a card short. Avalon's rounds take us only 5 minutes each because everyone is more interested in throwing accusations around than actually puzzling things out. I've played Captain Sonar with the younger ones, but the older people went "that's too complicated" immediately.

Any other suggestions?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm getting Decrypto for Christmas, to play after dinner with my boring, non-gaming normie family. Codenames has worked pretty well, so I'm confident this one will work as well.

Sushi Go has mostly worked, although someone would always end up a card short. Avalon's rounds take us only 5 minutes each because everyone is more interested in throwing accusations around than actually puzzling things out. I've played Captain Sonar with the younger ones, but the older people went "that's too complicated" immediately.

Any other suggestions?

A Fake Artist Goes to New York, if you want a drawing game where drawing skill doesn't help. One person secretly doesn't know what is being drawn and they have to guess while everyone else tries to work out who that person is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Any other suggestions?

Having just picked it up: Cryptid looks like a very solid entry level game. It's basically elimination deduction in the vein of Cluedo. Each player has one clue - "within one space of a swamp", "in desert or forest" and so on. There is a map and you're trying to find the lair, which lies on the one space that lines up with all the clues. But because you each want to get the credit for finding the lair, you don't share information with your teammates unless you have to.

Players do need to be able to understand their clues, but apart from that it's very simple - you name a space and either ask one player if it is or is not possibly the lair, or state that the space could be the lair and ask everyone else to confirm it. If nobody can say a space isn't the lair, then it must be the lair and you win.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Picked up Railroad ink at paxu. It is extremely good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One night ultimate werewolf is the first game I’ve had zero issues with introducing to family. Pictomania was good too but it’s still a board game. My mom struggled with the speed component.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Thanks to this threads recommendations I picked up Kemet, and yeah, gently caress, it's great! I love how you can clearly go for a different strategy every game by choosing to purchase different powers, but also that you can interact by buying something someone else needs, and it's not purely a 'gently caress you' because they're always all great pickups. It has a really good focus on attacking. You only get victory points for winning a combat you initiate, but losing doesn't really have much of a downside. You can even actually turn a losing combat into an upside sometimes. So, you're rewarded for fighting, and it doesn't usually feel super bad to lose. I like the way that over the first few turns it's more about building up and being skirmishy, and then later on attacking people's bases becomes a thing, as a natural progression, via mechanics that don't change. It's really clever, you get a really exciting heightening of tension. I don't like how important going last is on the final turn, I accidentally forgot to go adjust turn order (it was even my call) and lost as a result, and it felt a little raw, since as soon as I started my second action, I saw the only two ways it could play out involved someone else winning. Apparently the expansion fixes this, although I'm still not entirely sure how that works despite reading a description?

Further help needed though, I have Lords of Hellas which is kind of similar (ish), though I would say different enough from Kemet to warrant both. But I was looking at Cyclades which is sort of similar (ish) again. Would owning all three be overkill on that front do you reckon, or is Cyclades different enough again that it's worth having it too? I saw there was a crossover expansion to use monsters from Cyclades in Kemet and vice versa, which seems cool, and would suggest they don't tread on each others toes too much? I just love DOM stuff, especially with asymmetry, so I'm kinda like a moth here. Should I give in, or show restraint? What do you reckon? Thanks!

Also played a bunch of Keyforge. I'm not especially enamored with it. I play a lot of MTG, or, certainly used to, and one of the things I came to really appreciate was how mature and well developed the 'Modern' format was. (At least in my local meta). Its (mtg, modern) at the point where making the decision to switch out a single card from my sideboard (15 cards you can swap in after the first game, dependent on matchup) is really exciting, because the level of play is so high that that sort of thing actually makes a really big difference. It really feels like when you lose, you can see exactly where you went wrong, and learn from it. Keyforge is the opposite. There are often games, where you're behind, and you can't come back. And, whenever I bring this up, people start talking to me about things that mitigate it "They're introducing chains to weaken strong decks", "The decks are balanced as a meta, like rock paper scissors, there's always a deck that can beat another deck", "You just have to learn your deck" etc etc, and to me, it all just seems like weak bullshit. (I don't buy 'learn your deck' AT ALL, they're all very straightforward). I've mostly been on the winning end of this, where I know my opponent can't come back, and it's just not fun. It's a lovely situation to be like "Do you want to concede?" because it's kinda BM, but, it's also not fun to me. Buying a different deck isn't really a great solution to me, especially because that only fixes that particular matchup, but there's bound to be another one. For tournaments I'm sure this is handled, but for casual play which is what I see 99% of Keyforge being, it's just kind of a bad situation. I can however totally appreciate that for a load of people, going, "Oh, this deck doesn't beat you, I'm gonna get another one and see how that does!" is totally cool and good, and I like that Keyforge exists and fills this niche. I think its a great idea executed really well, and I think it's fun apart from the inherent balance problems. I just don't want to jump down that rabbit hole, and the lottery aspect doesn't give me serotonin like it does other peeps.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bottom Liner posted:

There are only three. Not sure where you’re looking up info but BGG makes it very easy.

The first (Invaders from Afar) adds two new factions and are a solid buy.

The second (The Wing Gambit) adds airships (with new abilities for things like movement or combat) along with some new end game modules that change up the game like first to $50 wins instead of 6 stars.

The third (Rise of Fenris) is a completely modular expansion consisting of 11 different bits you can add to your game. It can be dumped straight in as you wish or you can play through the incredibly mediocre “campaign” and unlock things that way. I say “campaign” because it’s pathetically bland and hobbled together more as a marketing blurb than a cohesive experience. Though some of the modules are good and worth adding to Scythe, is stay away for a while until you’ve played a good bit.

In general, the first two are solid and round out Scythe into being a decent game. The third is for die hard fans and just ignore the really stupid story mode included. In general I would recommend just starting with the base game though, it’s pretty overhyped and you might find it bland.

I would personally kinda disagree with this.

Invaders is ONLY any good if you want to play 6 or 7 player. The two new factions are nice, but they're not actually really worth it unless you wanna play with more players. The only reason it exists is because if they'd been in the original box, it would have been way more expensive, and market research suggested people didn't really want more than 5 players often. It's not like you're getting anything 'extra' with it, or missing out on anything by not having it, except a higher player count.

The Wind Gambit adds the airships, but actually only die-hard fans will enjoy them, because honestly they're pretty fiddly and despite their hulking great models are actually very subtle in their application. The modules though, fix a few issues people had with the base game. Its definitely more of an expansion in the traditional sense than invaders.

I think Rise of Fenris makes the game the most accessible of all, but I realise its because I think of Euro's as being less accessible, and Ameritrash as more, and this leans the game further from Euro into Ameritrash, and that how you interpret that will decide how much you like the expansion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Any other suggestions?

High Society has been a hit at our family stuff this year.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

!Klams posted:

Thanks to this threads recommendations I picked up Kemet, and yeah, gently caress, it's great! I love how you can clearly go for a different strategy every game by choosing to purchase different powers, but also that you can interact by buying something someone else needs, and it's not purely a 'gently caress you' because they're always all great pickups. It has a really good focus on attacking. You only get victory points for winning a combat you initiate, but losing doesn't really have much of a downside. You can even actually turn a losing combat into an upside sometimes. So, you're rewarded for fighting, and it doesn't usually feel super bad to lose. I like the way that over the first few turns it's more about building up and being skirmishy, and then later on attacking people's bases becomes a thing, as a natural progression, via mechanics that don't change. It's really clever, you get a really exciting heightening of tension. I don't like how important going last is on the final turn, I accidentally forgot to go adjust turn order (it was even my call) and lost as a result, and it felt a little raw, since as soon as I started my second action, I saw the only two ways it could play out involved someone else winning. Apparently the expansion fixes this, although I'm still not entirely sure how that works despite reading a description?

Yeah I've been playing Kemet too - we've had 3 or 4 games now, and I totally agree. My only complaint is that the mans are flimsy - I'm thinking about replacing the mans with God's chosen board game component: cubes.

Last night we tried a variant suggested in the thread a bit ago, namely that turn order is determined by priority instead of last place chooses for all. I ended up winning because I was second-to-last to act and on my last two actions stole buddy's blue 4 pyramid and bought the sphinx, taking me from 8 to 10.

Anyway, it's a good game.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Telestrations is great (also under other names). Monikers (Fishbowl, Celebrity) is also fun. Also a lot of the Jackbox games, particularly Quiplash, can be a great time in a room, as long as the olds don't mind using their cellphones.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

!Klams posted:

Further help needed though, I have Lords of Hellas which is kind of similar (ish), though I would say different enough from Kemet to warrant both. But I was looking at Cyclades which is sort of similar (ish) again. Would owning all three be overkill on that front do you reckon, or is Cyclades different enough again that it's worth having it too? I saw there was a crossover expansion to use monsters from Cyclades in Kemet and vice versa, which seems cool, and would suggest they don't tread on each others toes too much? I just love DOM stuff, especially with asymmetry, so I'm kinda like a moth here. Should I give in, or show restraint? What do you reckon? Thanks!

I haven't played Lords of Hellas but my friend who I introduced Kemet and Cyclades to who loves both (especially the latter) KS'd it. That said, seeing as you like dudes on a map games I think you would be fine with Cyclades and its two expansions. It's one of my favourites and is a lot more of a Euro than Kemet. Kemet is murder death kill kill and kind of feels like an RTS with its tech trees versus Cycaldes which is more ponderous and requires a lot of strategy with knowing how to bid properly and manage turn order and what monsters are up and a bunch of other things.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is Whistle Stop a bad game? Miniature Market had a pile of them on sale at like 80% off.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's an ok game that didn't manage to sell the numbers it expected despite a pretty hard push at gencon 2017

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

First Martians is $10 during the current CSI sale. I know people that bought it at GenCon on release, although I don't know if it was for the full $75 retail price. Either way, I'm really glad I avoided that trap.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is Whistle Stop a bad game? Miniature Market had a pile of them on sale at like 80% off.

What Impermanent said. There’s an expansion, you might want to look at that to see if it improves things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Looking for a second opinion on some games before I grab em.

Suburbia is one I've been looking at for a bit, love the theme, always wanted a SimCity style tabletop game, though from what I gather it doesn't really scratch that itch exactly. My concern is I think it'll feel similar to Castles of Burgundy, a game I have and love, but I like to keep games in my collection from overlapping or feeling too samey.

Mysterium got a glowing review from SUSD and my SO said it looked neat, BUT it looks really similar to Dixit but longer and only one person gets to give clues and also they don't get to talk for like an hour or however long the game is. Basically the individual pieces of it don't really seem that great to me, but maybe it meshes in a way that really work, I dunno.

Also I'm probably going to get roborally because it's on sale. :v: