Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Barry posted:

You've bought like 900+ records in 2 years? How can you possibly listen to them all?

I produce hip-hop as a hobby so a LOT of the “listening” I do is digging for samples. I’ve also bought a couple collections off people for super cheap and just haven’t gotten through them all yet. I do spend a lot of time listening to records, though.

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

it is important to own things so that you can say 'i have this'

This is the real reason let’s be honest.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Speaking of Vinyl Me Please, sweet beats to sample, and having more records in your collection, here’s a documentary on Madlib meeting Ethiopia’s Ayalew Mesfin.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ballz posted:

Speaking of Vinyl Me Please, sweet beats to sample, and having more records in your collection, here’s a documentary on Madlib meeting Ethiopia’s Ayalew Mesfin.

Oh I definitely checked that out already, its awesome. And I have definitely added Ayalew Mesfin to my list of artists to dig for. Madlib is an incredible producer and extremely talented. Talib Kweli just posted to social media a list of things that he was proud of accomplishing this year and one of them was "Working on a new Black Star album", which would be so drat cool. And there are rumors that Madlib is producing all of the beats on the album, which I could see being true considering Kweli and Mos Def have both worked with him in the past (he produced Kweli's "Liberation" album and 4 tracks on "The Ecstatic").

I am bummed that I didn't start collecting records until after VMP had done the Madlib Medicine Show: Flight To Brazil exclusive which has long sold out, but I was able to pick up 420 Chalice All Stars before that was gone.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
One of the crown jewels of my collection is my copy of Tonetta 777 vol. III.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

feels good man

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

feels good man

What's even better is when you can say you own other people's records.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

What's even better is when you can say you own other people's records.

This is not a realistic scenario.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

JehovahsWetness posted:

Discogs apparently hasn't been updated. Guerssen put out legit (-ish?) reissues of a bunch of period Manco LPs:
http://www.guerssen.com/catalogue.php?format=ALL&genre=ALL&field=ALL&field_text=baris

Forced Exposure has most of them in stock. They're all well sourced and good quality (or at least close to the OGs, some poo poo's hot/blown out a bit.)

can confirm, I've got a guerssen reissue of Sakla Samanı Gelir Zamanı and it's very decent, I've got a NM copy of of their reissue of 2023 already on the way via discogs so I'll let you know if it's terrible (unlikely I think.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

InSound has a huge sale going on right now. After browsing through a bunch of the sale items, I saw they have Daft Punk's Alive 2007 for only $18 (about $24 with shipping) which is a pretty solid deal. Also have Alive 1997 for $10. I didn't end up picking them up but thought there might be others who were interested.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:hellyeah: Thanks for that heads up. Dropped some cash on that deluxe Panda Bear Vs. the Grim Reaper and some Kraftwerk.

Unrelated: Waxwork's finally teasin':

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

:hellyeah: Thanks for that heads up. Dropped some cash on that deluxe Panda Bear Vs. the Grim Reaper and some Kraftwerk.

Unrelated: Waxwork's finally teasin':

Oh poo poo I want to order that right now.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

For those who pre-ordered my single, I just got the shipment in yesterday and have sent out the invoices via PayPal. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and its been getting a decent amount of support. Hope to get everything packaged up this weekend and send them out early next week. Also, I am including a little surprise in each shipment as a thank you for your support. Its nothing crazy, but hopefully you enjoy it. If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM. Thanks again to everyone, will keep you posted about my next release at the beginning of next year.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
If you own more than 18 hours worth of records and don't spend every waking minute of every day listening to all of them you don't appreciate them enough and are just a hoarder that's running the medium for true hardcore fans :jerkbag:

E. I ended up getting the laputa image album as well anyway, it came in and I'm glad cause some of these demo versions are absolute bangers

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 1, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SeXReX posted:

If you own more than 18 hours worth of records and don't spend every waking minute of every day listening to all of them you don't appreciate them enough and are just a hoarder that's running the medium for true hardcore fans :jerkbag:

E. I ended up getting the laputa image album as well anyway, it came in and I'm glad cause some of these demo versions are absolute bangers

Certainly you can see a middle ground between listening to the same record on repeat forever and ever and never listening to a record more than 0-1 times because you buy too many of them. Everyone is absolutely free to do whatever they want and I don't really have my eye on anything rare enough to care about people hoarding things I'd like to have or whatever. I guess I just don't see the point beyond "I have this record." Which if that's the point, cool.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think no matter what we can all agree that people who buy records and don't own a turntable are the scum of the Earth.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

CPL593H posted:

I think no matter what we can all agree that people who buy records and don't own a turntable are the scum of the Earth.

...people actually do this? What the gently caress? I could see it if someone is just starting out and wants to buy two or three records while looking for a used player, but if they have any sort of sizeable collection that's just hosed up.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Having it framed as wall art is also acceptable to me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
For years, all I had access to were bad turntables. From 2014 to 2017, I had nothing, but I kept collecting because I knew one day

it would be mine

And now I have a huge pile of records to play on it :)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

InSound has a huge sale going on right now. After browsing through a bunch of the sale items, I saw they have Daft Punk's Alive 2007 for only $18 (about $24 with shipping) which is a pretty solid deal. Also have Alive 1997 for $10. I didn't end up picking them up but thought there might be others who were interested.

Thanks for the heads up. Don't sleep on this gem https://www.insound.com/music/down-in-a-hole-vinyl-1lp.html

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Science Goy posted:

...people actually do this? What the gently caress? I could see it if someone is just starting out and wants to buy two or three records while looking for a used player, but if they have any sort of sizeable collection that's just hosed up.

I've ran into a few. Someone also posted an article about it here a while back and apparently it's a noteworthy percentage of the people who buy records now.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

CPL593H posted:

I've ran into a few. Someone also posted an article about it here a while back and apparently it's a noteworthy percentage of the people who buy records now.

You're not doing a very good job of gatekeeping, then.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I bought a bunch of records in the 90s when I had roommates with turntables, and then went from like 2000-2014 without access to one. Felt dumb moving boxes of records with no player but it all worked out in the end.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
LITA has a bunch of those Sony Music reissues of Japanese pop records up for sale through their distro - Taeko Ohnuki, Hiroshi Sato, etc. They are expensive as gently caress ($42 each) but it’s a bargain compared to what you’d pay for originals.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

You're not doing a very good job of gatekeeping, then.

Honestly I don't give a poo poo if people are sticking the records up their rear end, what actually bothers me is how prices have gone through the roof on absolutely everything because of speculators and people with more money than sense constantly over paying for poo poo.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Honestly I don't give a poo poo if people are sticking the records up their rear end, what actually bothers me is how prices have gone through the roof on absolutely everything because of speculators and people with more money than sense constantly over paying for poo poo.

Do you think that's the only reason prices have increased? While I agree that there is something to that, the market in general has gotten a lot bigger which I think is a big contributor. On the other hand, with the steady increase in the popularity of vinyl, we are seeing a lot of quality represses of some albums that are harder to find / pricier or were never pressed on vinyl. And while you are right that prices for some records have gone through the roof, I have found some great deals on records on discogs / ebay.

On another note, I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but there is a subreddit called r/vinyldeals that has a bot post crazy deals it finds on Amazon/eBay and a bunch of other sites. For example, a few weeks back I picked up Rage Against the Machine Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium (180g) for $10 shipped. Definitely recommend subscribing and checking it out.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
flipside (ahahaha) of that is a record that I had resigned myself to never owning, which has never once been for sale on discogs, and which I saw a water damaged copy of in a record store exactly once ten years ago for £400, has been repressed and available for €20

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MrSargent posted:

On another note, I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but there is a subreddit called r/vinyldeals that has a bot post crazy deals it finds on Amazon/eBay and a bunch of other sites. For example, a few weeks back I picked up Rage Against the Machine Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium (180g) for $10 shipped. Definitely recommend subscribing and checking it out.

This is a decent site to check once in a while for Amazon discounts:
http://dealsonvinyl.com/

With that said, I hardly buy new vinyl.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Banano posted:

flipside (ahahaha) of that is a record that I had resigned myself to never owning, which has never once been for sale on discogs, and which I saw a water damaged copy of in a record store exactly once ten years ago for £400, has been repressed and available for €20

what record

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Partial records is having a sale on their 7"s right now -- two batches of 28 for £115 each with free shipping. Extremely good poo poo.

https://partialrecords.bandcamp.com/album/28-x-7-115-bundle-deal-part-one-free-shipping-2
https://partialrecords.bandcamp.com/album/28-x-7-115-bundle-deal-part-two-free-shipping-2

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Radio Spiricom posted:

Partial records is having a sale on their 7"s right now -- two batches of 28 for £115 each with free shipping. Extremely good poo poo.

https://partialrecords.bandcamp.com/album/28-x-7-115-bundle-deal-part-one-free-shipping-2
https://partialrecords.bandcamp.com/album/28-x-7-115-bundle-deal-part-two-free-shipping-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9byr8tCAJ4

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Hey everyone, I won't be able to send out the records today. Amazon hosed up my shipment of mailers/inserts that were supposed to come today so I am hoping to get them out tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Sorry for the delay! I'll send out tracking numbers via e-mail once they are shipped.

I'm also working on getting both songs up on streaming platforms which a few people have asked about.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Thanks for reminding me, payment sent!

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Merge is doing a desk where you get 3 mystery records for $20. I got Policy by Will Butler, Tween by Wye Oak, and Indoor Living by Superchunk. I haven't ever listened to Will Butler or Wye Oak, so hopefully I like them.

E: despite liking Arcade Fire's earlier stuff, I didn't care for Policy upon first listen. I'll give it another couple tries. Tween, on the other hand, I really enjoyed on the first listen.

Beelerzebub fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 4, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Wye Oak is good poo poo. Their new album is really solid.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a weird question that I’m posting out of nowhere, but I have searched the forum and haven’t found anything, so I thought there would be no harm in asking:

About seven years ago a tv show I liked called Fringe did a promotion where they pressed an lp for a fake band that was part of the show and sold copies to a bunch of used record stores. It was a full album of kind of ok-sounding music by some studio musicians J.J. Abrams hired, artificially aged to make the copies look like they were 40 years old. The fake band was called Violet Sedan Chair and the album titles is Seven Suns. The music itself was released digitally and is kind of blah, but I’ve been trying to find one of the copies of the lp.

I’ve been looking for a copy of this album for years and have never been able to find one for sale. There were a thousand or more copies made, but only two or three ever turned up on eBay back in 2011. A few blog posts by record stores and collectors from that time suggest that most of the copies were immediately bought up by vinyl collectors who had no idea what the show was and just thought there was some rare album they had never heard of.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I’d find a copy? I know very little about how and where vinyl collectors would sell something like that: I’ve checked eBay, Amazon, and Discogs for a few years and never seen a copy. Where would I look for something like that?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.discogs.com/Violet-Sedan-Chair-Seven-Suns/release/2847380

None for sale there. The handful of comments seem to speculate there were only like 10-50 made.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I reckon eBay and discogs are about where you'd check for it as a record. As a piece of Fringe memorabilia, Fringe fan forums, subreddits and collector's circles might be worth a shot, although at most I'd expect to see a post by someone else saying "holy poo poo I managed to get one".

Or you get super lucky visiting the right record store. I have this. It's probably one of my most obscure records; I'd been listening to it on youtube for months and pretty much from the start resigned myself to that and some blogspot download being as close as I'd ever get. Then they announced a rerelease and I jumped right at that (it's a very nice quality release too). My point being, the other day I was in a shop and out of the blue came across one of the inofficial rereleases there had been over the years, and believe you me if I hadn't heard about the official rerelease I would have flipped my entire poo poo on the spot.

Feels weird to look at a record you know is fairly rare and obscure and be able to say pfft yeah right, been there, done that.

e: only 250 copies as well. Gotta say, it was very reasonably priced for that. But I guess that goes to show, limited to 10 or 50 or 250, you can just happen to see this stuff in the wild if you go to enough shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I reckon eBay and discogs are about where you'd check for it as a record. As a piece of Fringe memorabilia, Fringe fan forums, subreddits and collector's circles might be worth a shot, although at most I'd expect to see a post by someone else saying "holy poo poo I managed to get one".

Or you get super lucky visiting the right record store. I have this. It's probably one of my most obscure records; I'd been listening to it on youtube for months and pretty much from the start resigned myself to that and some blogspot download being as close as I'd ever get. Then they announced a rerelease and I jumped right at that (it's a very nice quality release too). My point being, the other day I was in a shop and out of the blue came across one of the inofficial rereleases there had been over the years, and believe you me if I hadn't heard about the official rerelease I would have flipped my entire poo poo on the spot.

Feels weird to look at a record you know is fairly rare and obscure and be able to say pfft yeah right, been there, done that.

e: only 250 copies as well. Gotta say, it was very reasonably priced for that. But I guess that goes to show, limited to 10 or 50 or 250, you can just happen to see this stuff in the wild if you go to enough shops.

I do not care to disclose how much I spent on the Mountain Goats' Satanic Messiah EP.