Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy crap yeah, we also did 81 wrong: assumed that the invis/heal abilities were tied to element consumption, because otherwise having a pile of hitpoints that you can spend 40+% of the time totally protecting and another 40% of the time healing a good chunk seems...really unbalanced for certain groups.

Luckily I think it only came into play once (maybe twice tops) for us when our Spellweaver used one of his "consume any element" attacks to prevent a heal. It still came down to a close end where I had 2 or 3 rounds left and was hoping to do a decent chunk of damage with my crank bow and then maybe melee the rest of his health the next round if necessary, if my friends couldn't close it out with their attacks due to misses or whatever. I ended up critting with my crank bow anyway which was overkill, so it's possible we still would have been able to close him out even with those 1 or 2 rounds of healing. But sheesh that would be super annoying, especially if you just exhausted watching this guy repeatedly make himself immune to any attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that remains the only scenario my group has lost to this day, and it wasn't even close.

When we eventually did re-do it, we knew what was waiting behind that door, so we had the Scoundrel prep her backstab combo and did 24 damage between opening the door and the boss getting their first turn. We took off another chunk of HP using the altar in the room, and killed some demons, and ended up only needing to be able to damage the boss for one round to finish it off.

Speaking off that scenario, (Spoilers for scenario 81, Lightning Bolts) has anyone made any use of the Helix Ring? Its 50-gold price tag is a bit steep given that that's also the cost of a Strengthen enhancement, but it seems like an item that's perfect for the Berserker, given that our current party does generate quite a bit of Light and Darkness.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, that remains the only scenario my group has lost to this day, and it wasn't even close.

When we eventually did re-do it, we knew what was waiting behind that door, so we had the Scoundrel prep her backstab combo and did 24 damage between opening the door and the boss getting their first turn. We took off another chunk of HP using the altar in the room, and killed some demons, and ended up only needing to be able to damage the boss for one round to finish it off.

Speaking off that scenario, (Spoilers for scenario 81, Lightning Bolts) has anyone made any use of the Helix Ring? Its 50-gold price tag is a bit steep given that that's also the cost of a Strengthen enhancement, but it seems like an item that's perfect for the Berserker, given that our current party does generate quite a bit of Light and Darkness.

Scenario 81, Three Spears, and prosperity 6 spoilers A Quartermaster with a Major Mana Potion and that ring could perform an insane amount of self healing over the course of a scenario.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Reik posted:

Scenario 81, Three Spears, and prosperity 6 spoilers A Quartermaster with a Major Mana Potion and that ring could perform an insane amount of self healing over the course of a scenario.

I honestly think Three Spears is a broken class. We've all pretty much agreed to not play it. It feels like the major appeal is just "watch me break the game in intricate ways!"

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Scenario 81 is a good example of why class balance is so important. The class it shits on is already one of the weakest classes, and so that class goes from weak to useless. There is another scenario (#80) that has an effect that disproportionately hurts another class, but that class is easily the best in the game and even with those scenario restrictions it would feel perfectly competent.

Speaking of scenario 80, it makes logical sense that being able to ignore negative scenario effects wouldn't let you ignore the main schtick of that scenario, but I'm wondering how it makes rules sense. Which rule specifies what effects precisely that perk lets you ignore?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jimbozig posted:

Which rule specifies what effects precisely that perk lets you ignore?
The stuff you can ignore is specifcally described as a "Scenario Effect" in that scenario. See Scenario 6 for an example.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I honestly think Three Spears is a broken class. We've all pretty much agreed to not play it. It feels like the major appeal is just "watch me break the game in intricate ways!"

Three Spears: Getting back consumed items with non-loss cards was too much. Hell, even their perk refreshes consumed items. Any feature they have that refreshes cards that isn't a loss card should be limited to only spent items.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Uuugh. We really liked that scenario, BUT our party was Sun, Eclipse, Two Minis, Cthulhu, so for us it was a playground.

Yep. We waited to unlock the Sun class before we did that one. It was tough but way easier than if we had just yolo'd it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Reik posted:

Three Spears: Getting back consumed items with non-loss cards was too much. Hell, even their perk refreshes consumed items. Any feature they have that refreshes cards that isn't a loss card should be limited to only spent items.

I don't think that their one non-loss ability card that brings back a consumed item is that big of a deal. Yes, you can do silly tricks with it but every time you play it, you're basically wasting most of your turn because you're not using any other top half. Once you get to middle levels, you probably aren't bothering to bring that card at all. There are way more efficient ways to destroy the enemies. It's a good card but not really broken. I guess you can object to it because of the infinite loop it allows you to use once you've already won the scenario, but nobody should be doing that poo poo in real life anyways.

But the perks? Absolutely the perks should only refresh spent items. That would fix the class almost entirely, IMO. That is what the rule should have been. Even the icon looks like it refers to spent only!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Two Minis question We've already unlocked Two Minis, but the person that did so didn't want to play them, so I'm going to be picking it up when I retire my Lightning Bolts. Looking around I'm pretty sure I want to do an active build, and I was wondering about the level 2 card pick. I get that Earthen Spikes is only range 2, but it seems pretty easy fix with a 55 gold enhancement and/or an item. Compared to Energizing Strike, which is Maul with a strengthen on top and a poison/wound cleanse on bottom, it seems like Earthen Spikes could bring a lot more to the table, especially if you utilize the bear's Move/Push command bottom after immobilizing an engaged melee enemy. Also, if you audible in to Concentrated Rage, you've got a solid 11 initiative top action to feed it. Also, I was going to pick up Unstoppable Beast at level 3, so it would be able to power that up.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 29, 2018

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

I don't think that their one non-loss ability card that brings back a consumed item is that big of a deal. Yes, you can do silly tricks with it but every time you play it, you're basically wasting most of your turn because you're not using any other top half. Once you get to middle levels, you probably aren't bothering to bring that card at all. There are way more efficient ways to destroy the enemies. It's a good card but not really broken. I guess you can object to it because of the infinite loop it allows you to use once you've already won the scenario, but nobody should be doing that poo poo in real life anyways.

That depends a lot on what you've unlocked. Any of the potions are fine - but there are a number of unlockable items that, for example, summon companions. This turns that card into a non-loss summon, and that's awesomely strong.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Three Spears and its solo item plus a few other items The class is definitely ridiculous. We realized that the FAQ has errata for the solo item that it can't be refreshed after use, it now has the symbol that's on Spellweaver's Reviving Ether. That didn't even matter though. Our Three Spears just sold that and bought an Empowering Talisman. Now we're Prosperity 6 and he bought the refresher pendant there which is insane. He can refresh even more cards now.

He has jump boots so he can do move 8s to dive to open a door, and then Ring of Haste to move back towards us. This makes the monsters in the next room have a long way to go so they just slowly clump up for his superpowered, advantaged Catastrophic Bombs. We use the two pile rule for Advantage, but he voluntarily switched to RAW because he's already too strong. He might not be doing lots of executes, but he's by far the strongest class.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Box came in today. What the hell have i gotten myself into

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Endless fun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Two hundred hours of obsession and the purchase of numerous ways to organize it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Two hundred hours of obsession and the purchase of numerous ways to organize it.

To be clear, that's just describing unpacking it. The game itself has even more hours.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

neonchameleon posted:

That depends a lot on what you've unlocked. Any of the potions are fine - but there are a number of unlockable items that, for example, summon companions. This turns that card into a non-loss summon, and that's awesomely strong.

You're right - that is very strong.

Still, changing that card is a harder fix than changing the way you interpret the perks, and the latter will do more to fix the class. If you're looking for a simple houserule to make 3 spears not broken, the perks are where you should start.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
Pulling the trigger... buying it on amazon for me and my SO.
We're getting it from Amazon directly and not a reseller (though Amazon is known to mix barcodes..) so hopefully it's not counterfeit as poo poo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It'll be fine. Enjoy!

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005

Dreylad posted:

It'll be fine. Enjoy!

Thanks! We're looking forward to this as a nice scheduled thing for us. It's great having that option to have a friend or two jump in at different points as well.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Woodstock posted:

Thanks! We're looking forward to this as a nice scheduled thing for us. It's great having that option to have a friend or two jump in at different points as well.

Yeah the game is very flexible that way, while still feeling different with 2, 3, or 4 players.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Can anyone tell me what's in the Secret Envelope? The owner of the game refuses to open it, and it's driving me crazy. Trying to find the contents online is not working either

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The "open when you feel you deserve it" one? It contains a scenario unlock. That's it. We haven't played it yet, but it looks pretty neat. Specifically, Harrower Hive.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
You can talk trash, you can handle the ball, but look in your heart and ask yourself: Do you DESERVE to open the envelope?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
We opened it after we finished the main campaign. Not gone any further than opening it yet.

We started the community campaign though. Very interesting mechanics so far, especially scenario 2. I got very lucky playing a Brute with 3 Push cards including 2 Move and Pushes. It was a rare round where I didn't just boot at least one thing off a platform. It was great.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I dunno which envelope is the deserve one, I feel like I'm missing something?

Also while I do enjoy the game mechanics and the classes and the unlocks (loads) I'm getting really bored of the tiles. I wish there was more variety. We've just been playing a bit of Imperial Assault/Descent again after a long while away and the general feel of those games is a lot nicer when it comes to theme than Gloomhaven.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Did you (special envelope spoiler) check under the black plastic insert in the box?

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 2, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

Did you check under the black plastic insert in the box?

This is technically a spoiler.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think from context clues I've basically had the nature of this envelope spoiled at this point, but, can anyone tell me if there's something that should have called me to look for it that I should have found? We've reached prosperity level 4 and opened envelopes A and B? It seems like its essentially a spoiler to mention a third envelope at all to me, since it can only really mean one thing at this point, especially with someone mentioning that they 'pulled a risk legacy'. I've never played that game, but, again, from context, it kinda hard gave the game away. Is that ok though? Is it just curiosity being rewarded, or should something have drawn us to it, and I've had the reveal spoiled?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

!Klams posted:

I think from context clues I've basically had the nature of this envelope spoiled at this point, but, can anyone tell me if there's something that should have called me to look for it that I should have found? We've reached prosperity level 4 and opened envelopes A and B? It seems like its essentially a spoiler to mention a third envelope at all to me, since it can only really mean one thing at this point, especially with someone mentioning that they 'pulled a risk legacy'. I've never played that game, but, again, from context, it kinda hard gave the game away. Is that ok though? Is it just curiosity being rewarded, or should something have drawn us to it, and I've had the reveal spoiled?

Special envelope spoiler I'm pretty sure it has something to do with envelope X, but we haven't opened envelope X yet so I'm speculating based on other clues we've gotten from other unlocks. "Pulling a Risk Legacy" is just a reference to the physical location of the special envelope IIRC.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Reik posted:

Special envelope spoiler I'm pretty sure it has something to do with envelope X, but we haven't opened envelope X yet so I'm speculating based on other clues we've gotten from other unlocks. "Pulling a Risk Legacy" is just a reference to the physical location of the special envelope IIRC.

Well, that's kinda what I'm getting at tbh. I wouldn't have known there was a hidden envelope at all, now that I do, there's only really one place to hide it, so, I know it's there. Nothing in the game has told me to find it, but I also happen to know that if I did go and dig it out, I could, according to the rules, open it. So what I'm asking is, is there something in the game tells you to go a rummaging, or is the envelope a reward for doing that of your own accord?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

!Klams posted:

Well, that's kinda what I'm getting at tbh. I wouldn't have known there was a hidden envelope at all, now that I do, there's only really one place to hide it, so, I know it's there. Nothing in the game has told me to find it, but I also happen to know that if I did go and dig it out, I could, according to the rules, open it. So what I'm asking is, is there something in the game tells you to go a rummaging, or is the envelope a reward for doing that of your own accord?

nothing tells you to look for it AFAIK, but almost everyone finds it because almost everyone winds up completely reorganising the box SOMEHOW during their tenure, because it really needs a logical and well ordered storage solution to work

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

thespaceinvader posted:

nothing tells you to look for it AFAIK, but almost everyone finds it because almost everyone winds up completely reorganising the box SOMEHOW during their tenure, because it really needs a logical and well ordered storage solution to work

Ok, cool, this is basically what I was hoping, because now that I know it, I want to coerce my crew into finding it 'by accident'. If there was something that told us to, I'd rather wait for that, I don't want to jump the gun, and if they find out I've read spoilers they'll all be upset with me. I really didn't mean to, but when someone says "When did you guys open the envelope you're allowed to open whenever?" and you've only got two envelopes in your box, the penny drops pretty quick.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Starting delving into this game solo over Thanksgiving until I can wrangle my friends into it. Motivated me to experiment some quick painting techniques on the starting crew as diversion from my crushing backlog of other minis.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

darnon posted:

Starting delving into this game solo over Thanksgiving until I can wrangle my friends into it. Motivated me to experiment some quick painting techniques on the starting crew as diversion from my crushing backlog of other minis.

Wow, those look amazing!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, those look amazing!

Seconded, good job!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't care about spoilers, so I looked up what the deal was with envelope X, and I am glad I did, because ... yeah, that's not really my thing, and at the very least not why I bought Gloomhaven.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

darnon posted:

Those are all really nice but the Spellweaver is impressive. It's a really poorly designed and sculpted mini and it is rare to see one look good even from experienced painters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

homullus posted:

I don't care about spoilers, so I looked up what the deal was with envelope X, and I am glad I did, because ... yeah, that's not really my thing, and at the very least not why I bought Gloomhaven.

Thank you for this post, this is also not my thing and it would've bothered me greatly to not have spoiled it.