Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good morning

I had a dream I was hanging out with a certain stand up comic and trying out jokes on him because I'd decided to start doing open mics

I forget most of them except for one about how a college professor explaining that you can't listen to NIN until you understand Mozart and this one:

"Stand up comedy is like loving a dog. Way too many people think that just because they've seen it on TV, they'd be good at it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm v excited for Smash and its 12000 song soundtrack

Unironically this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boogie use to be cool, what happened that made him decide to start supporting a self identified nazi? :(

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

I agree with this as well.

For example, Iconoclasts is gonna be fairly high on my top ten list this year and while I can tell you several things I liked about it I haven't yet been able to pin down what exactly the special something is that really bumps it above the competition.

1. It has the gameplay of Cave Story
2. It has the story of FF7
3. Except they replaced all the mako with gooping fountains of lovingly animated pixel-art cum

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Boogie use to be cool

Really?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember clicking on something of his years ago and thinking his whole persona was a parody of entitled gamer manchildren but as it turns out that wasn't ironic at all?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Microcline posted:

1. It has the gameplay of Cave Story
2. It has the story of FF7
3. Except they replaced all the mako with gooping fountains of lovingly animated pixel-art cum

I was stuck on 'I like the stinky pirate' but these are very strong answers

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I remember clicking on something of his years ago and thinking his whole persona was a parody of entitled gamer manchildren but as it turns out that wasn't ironic at all?

Correct :/ I would like to believe that he just succumbed to the toxic culture of Youtube and Twitter. A lot of Youtuber's that turn popular actually seem to start out as pretty decent human beings and then turn into crazy alt-right assholes. See Lacey Green as another example.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

2018 is too lovely, perhaps we should go back to a simpler time

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

a kitten posted:

I miss gaming magazines from the 90s.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i'm glad i'm not the only person neurotic enough to point out all the flaws in games i actually like

Honestly that's my favorite poo poo to post about. I don't really enjoy complaining about games I don't like, but at the same time I fuckin' love to critique games that I do like.

I make an exception for Bethesda games apparently because hoo boy have I posted a lot of words about Fallout 4 being bad, but otherwise if I write a long critique about a game, it's safe to assume I really like that game, because otherwise I wouldn't care enough to write that much about its flaws.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What's the bollywood channel, I'm down for some bollywoods

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Correct :/ I would like to believe that he just succumbed to the toxic culture of Youtube and Twitter. A lot of Youtuber's that turn popular actually seem to start out as pretty decent human beings and then turn into crazy alt-right assholes. See Lacey Green as another example.

the critical distinction here is determining whether the appropriate phrase is "turn into" or "are revealed as"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Boogie is a self proclaimed centrist, that should tell you how "cool" he is. A moral coward in every sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel kinda dumb about this, but I really hope Anthem is good. I've gone from being actively disinterested in it to thinking something like... "this is probably going to be bad, but it would be really cool if it was good."

It seems like its core concept has a lot of promise. It's third-person Destiny but with a ton more freedom of movement and you can play all classes on one character. A lot of things give me pause--like the fact that we've still only really seen one environment, and also the fact that it's BioWare--but at the same time, I think there's potential there for it to not be a total fuckup. (It probably will be, but it's not doomed from the start, y'know?) Everything I've seen looks like it's Mass Effect 3 multiplayer applied to the open world and also players can fly, and ME3 multiplayer was actually pretty good so I'm open to the possibility that the game might not suck.

I'm sure as gently caress not going to preorder it but I'm rooting for it to be good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

a kitten posted:

This is a garbage list if Myst wasn't on it in the 90s

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Harrow posted:

I feel kinda dumb about this, but I really hope Anthem is good.

None of biowares games have good combat, the closest was jade empire, and even that was a mess. Destiny has some of the best combat in gaming, but it's wrapped in poo poo worlds, missions and level gating. Unless you like bioware games just to level up, then I guess go nuts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bushisms.txt posted:

None of biowares games have good combat, the closest was jade empire, and even that was a mess. Destiny has some of the best combat in gaming, but it's wrapped in poo poo worlds, missions and level gating. Unless you like bioware games just to level up, then I guess go nuts.

ME2 and 3 had great combat. Andromeda almost did but it shits the bed

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

I feel kinda dumb about this, but I really hope Anthem is good. I've gone from being actively disinterested in it to thinking something like... "this is probably going to be bad, but it would be really cool if it was good."

It seems like its core concept has a lot of promise. It's third-person Destiny but with a ton more freedom of movement and you can play all classes on one character. A lot of things give me pause--like the fact that we've still only really seen one environment, and also the fact that it's BioWare--but at the same time, I think there's potential there for it to not be a total fuckup. (It probably will be, but it's not doomed from the start, y'know?) Everything I've seen looks like it's Mass Effect 3 multiplayer applied to the open world and also players can fly, and ME3 multiplayer was actually pretty good so I'm open to the possibility that the game might not suck.

I'm sure as gently caress not going to preorder it but I'm rooting for it to be good.

was there some new info that dropped about it recently? last i saw it looked like 50% gears of war meets 50% destiny and not much else but that would've been months and months ago.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I find the concept of Smash distasteful

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

was there some new info that dropped about it recently? last i saw it looked like 50% gears of war meets 50% destiny and not much else but that would've been months and months ago.

They've shown a lot more gameplay since then, like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwoJG0B2Z_c

It basically looks like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but you can fly and it's open-world. My reservations are that we've still only seen this one environment and they haven't shown much exciting in the open world itself yet. Plus it feels like it's coming out way too soon and I honestly expect it to launch as an incomplete and broken mess because of that.

I hope it'll be good, though. Who knows, maybe seeing the absolute beating Fallout 76 is getting would make EA a little gun-shy on rushing the game out the door to meet its announced launch date if it isn't actually (mostly) ready to go. But probably not.

bushisms.txt posted:

Destiny has some of the best combat in gaming, but it's wrapped in poo poo worlds, missions and level gating.

Honestly Destiny 2 is doing a shitload better on that front now (missions and explorable zones, specifically). If it weren't for the Annual Pass thing not letting you buy the DLCs piecemeal I think I could wholeheartedly recommend actually playing the game now, which feels weird for Destiny.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Real 90s gamers had to bravely take a stand against Myst because it was popular with women

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Next Gen really didn't like Myst for reasons that i've entirely forgotten.

It's a pretty fun article overall even if there are some head-scratchers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

Clearly they realize that Myst was trash and Riven was the actual best game in the series.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember a game magazine flipping their poo poo about Chun Li being in the first BOF game as a cameo, you could find her practicing the Lightning Kick in a tavern room or something.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

They've shown a lot more gameplay since then, like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwoJG0B2Z_c

It basically looks like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but you can fly and it's open-world. My reservations are that we've still only seen this one environment and they haven't shown much exciting in the open world itself yet. Plus it feels like it's coming out way too soon and I honestly expect it to launch as an incomplete and broken mess because of that.

I hope it'll be good, though. Who knows, maybe seeing the absolute beating Fallout 76 is getting would make EA a little gun-shy on rushing the game out the door to meet its announced launch date if it isn't actually (mostly) ready to go. But probably not.

Honestly Destiny 2 is doing a shitload better on that front now (missions and explorable zones, specifically). If it weren't for the Annual Pass thing not letting you buy the DLCs piecemeal I think I could wholeheartedly recommend actually playing the game now, which feels weird for Destiny.

yeah, just took a quick peek at that video and it's more or less what i pictured. having a jetpack and the freedom of movement that entails while still having the camera deathlocked to the RE4 style over the shoulder position without free rotation looks so kludgy and bad to me.

not to mention that 90% of the mobility of the jetpack seems to be "slow farting hover"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

ME2 and 3 had great combat. Andromeda almost did but it shits the bed

For a bioware game sure, but they only survived because of brand. There are far better horde modes, let alone full on 3rd person shooters, that have inherently better mechanics.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well now you have to post at least the top ten from that magazine

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a kitten posted:

Next Gen really didn't like Myst for reasons that i've entirely forgotten.

It's a pretty fun article overall even if there are some head-scratchers.

Grim Fandango better be on there.

Post the whole list.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The best game of 2018 is A Bug's Life for the PS1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LquajMkT6T0

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

Wasn't Laci Green a sex-positive youtuber who talked about enthusiastic consent and butt plugs? That's... quite a turn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Wasn't Laci Green a sex-positive youtuber who talked about enthusiastic consent and butt plugs? That's... quite a turn.

There were, stunningly, lots of creeps in the extremely online sex positivity movement.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Well now you have to post at least the top ten from that magazine

I suppose i could make a thread, i have scans of the whole thing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They did little write-ups for all of them which adds to the fun.

e: oops quote is not edit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nothing makes me lose interest in a cool looking game faster than the word "multiplayer"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

she started dating a guy who is friends with Colin Moriarty and probably regrets it, just another instance of a woman going over to an alt-right audience and being shocked when they're treated like poo poo by their own perceived audience.

Harrow posted:

From the Anthem thread and the really good updates from SUN GOD I get the feeling that the developers are really doing a good job addressing things that would peeve players. EA is a loving mess and they've garroted most of their teams but the guys doing Anthem seem to be cautiously working towards something that is fun to play. I really would love a game with Andromeda's combat and movement mixed with Destiny's promised world of consistent exploration and challenge.

Andrast posted:

Nothing makes me lose interest in a cool looking game faster than the word "multiplayer"

I feel you but Helldivers was one of my all-time favorite games simply because it handled multiplayer so goddamn well in terms of actual teamwork and frantic firefights.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

really? let me try: "procedurally generated"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

really? let me try: "procedurally generated"

Not even close.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"roguelike"?

Adbot