Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhMC8ID62A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait, what happened in Bill & Ted?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When they call each other fag

See also : Ajax in the warriors saying they’ve gone human being

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

When they call each other fag

See also : Ajax in the warriors saying they’ve gone human being

The thing about The Warriors is that it's the gayest movie I've ever seen after Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Ajax calling someone a human being is really just part of the narrative of them all being closeted homosexuals. In his case he was the self hating kind. It's no coincidence that he's hauled right out of the movie when he makes advances towards a woman.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

February Twilight Time:

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?
Bedazzled
Talk Radio

Also, it's rumored Shout! Factory might have the Miramax/Weinstein library now because they just announced a big box set of Robert Rodriguez films. The Mariachi Trilogy is with Sony, but the rest are with Miramax or Weinstein Co.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

February Twilight Time:

Bedazzled
Talk Radio

Also, it's rumored Shout! Factory might have the Miramax/Weinstein library now because they just announced a big box set of Robert Rodriguez films. The Mariachi Trilogy is with Sony, but the rest are with Miramax or Weinstein Co.

Clarification, Bedazzled is the 60s one, not the Brendan Frasier one.

And I was scared for a second there about the Rodriguez box set. I literally just bought El Mariachi/Desperado this morning.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
60s Bedazzled owns immensely, I will 100% buy that

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

February Twilight Time:

Bedazzled
Talk Radio

Unrelated, but do you know who has the video rights to The Warriors and if there's any possibility anyone will ever release the theatrical version of the movie on blu-ray?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Unrelated, but do you know who has the video rights to The Warriors and if there's any possibility anyone will ever release the theatrical version of the movie on blu-ray?

Paramount. Germany apparently got a special edition with both the director's cut and theatrical cut.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

According to some Google-Fu, Paramount currently hold the rights. The last time the non Directors cut was released was the DVD back in 2001. Don’t know who’s working with Paramount right now, but I’d love to see Arrow or Shout take a crack at a special edition.

Edit: Actually, after doing more research it doesn’t look like Paramount licenses much to anyone. I found a few Criterion releases, but not much else. That’s a library waiting to be explored.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 2, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

According to some Google-Fu, Paramount currently hold the rights. The last time the non Directors cut was released was the DVD back in 2001. Don’t know who’s working with Paramount right now, but I’d love to see Arrow or Shout take a crack at a special edition.

Paramount has been weird about licensing for years. Shout! Factory was only able to license The Duellists years ago and it's been out of print for a while since it was apparently a short-lived deal as a favor to Ridley Scott.

Criterion has licensed only 25 films from Paramount since 2007 - 14 of which never had a DVD or Blu release by Paramount directly. Meanwhile, nearly the entire Republic/Spelling/NTA library has been licensed to Kino Lorber and Olive Films since 2014 resulting in hundreds of releases. Both have also issued way more than 25 titles of just Paramount films never before released on DVD or Blu-ray. Apparently, the deal with Kino and Olive is only for titles Paramount never released themselves on DVD with only a few exceptions. Kino has even over a dozen silent films from Paramount.

Ironic thing is that Universal owns the 1929-1949 Paramount library (it was sold to MCA in the 50s) and Criterion has released 19 films from that batch of films in addition to 30-40 actual Universal films since 1999.

It's kind of a pity because there's a ton of Paramount films released on DVD that are still MIA. Just of films I'm interested in, there's The Elephant Man, Popeye, Diabolik, The Court Jester, War of the Worlds '53, The Errand Boy (and the rest of Jerry Lewis' 50s and 60s films), Hud, Targets, Catch-22, Play It Again Sam, Paper Moon, Murder on the Orient Express '74, The Tenant, and Ordinary People.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I knew you’d come in with all the answers.

I was wondering why Paramount is tight with their licenses, but then realized they were a Viacom subsidiary and it all made sense. Oh well, at least they tend to put out high quality releases in house.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Paramount has been weird about licensing for years. Shout! Factory was only able to license The Duellists years ago and it's been out of print for a while since it was apparently a short-lived deal as a favor to Ridley Scott.

Criterion has licensed only 25 films from Paramount since 2007 - 14 of which never had a DVD or Blu release by Paramount directly. Meanwhile, nearly the entire Republic/Spelling/NTA library has been licensed to Kino Lorber and Olive Films since 2014 resulting in hundreds of releases. Both have also issued way more than 25 titles of just Paramount films never before released on DVD or Blu-ray. Apparently, the deal with Kino and Olive is only for titles Paramount never released themselves on DVD with only a few exceptions. Kino has even over a dozen silent films from Paramount.

Ironic thing is that Universal owns the 1929-1949 Paramount library (it was sold to MCA in the 50s) and Criterion has released 19 films from that batch of films in addition to 30-40 actual Universal films since 1999.

It's kind of a pity because there's a ton of Paramount films released on DVD that are still MIA. Just of films I'm interested in, there's The Elephant Man, Popeye, Diabolik, The Court Jester, War of the Worlds '53, The Errand Boy (and the rest of Jerry Lewis' 50s and 60s films), Hud, Targets, Catch-22, Play It Again Sam, Paper Moon, Murder on the Orient Express '74, The Tenant, and Ordinary People.

I've always wondered this and if you don't mind my asking, how do you know so much about all this stuff?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I knew you’d come in with all the answers.

I was wondering why Paramount is tight with their licenses, but then realized they were a Viacom subsidiary and it all made sense. Oh well, at least they tend to put out high quality releases in house.

I think some of it is that we're spoiled by Universal, Sony, and MGM licensing to practically every boutique label. Paramount never licensed anything during the laserdisc/VHS days except for a one-off deal with Criterion for Robinson Crusoe on Mars only because it's the favorite film of one of the Janus Films founders.

CPL593H posted:

I've always wondered this and if you don't mind my asking, how do you know so much about all this stuff?

No idea, I'm just good at memorizing that sort of info for movies.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

CPL593H posted:

The thing about The Warriors is that it's the gayest movie I've ever seen after Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Ajax calling someone a human being is really just part of the narrative of them all being closeted homosexuals. In his case he was the self hating kind. It's no coincidence that he's hauled right out of the movie when he makes advances towards a woman.

The gangs are almost entirely played by Broadway actors/dancers too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

CPL593H posted:

The second movie is called Bill and Ted's BJ, after all.

fake edit: Fillin' Ted

Holy poo poo. Well, you learn new things every day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stink Billyums posted:

The gangs are almost entirely played by Broadway actors/dancers too.

I didn't know that, but it makes so much sense. The movie is absolutely dripping with homoeroticism. One of the big fight scenes takes place in a men's room (in the loving 70s). It's gay. It's very gay.

I saw some MAGA chud wearing a Warriors t-shirt recently and things like that crack me up.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Even the female gang is lesbians. The boys constantly complain about the Rosario Dawson look alike, the only hetero female, coming with them too.

Love that movie. Watched it not too long ago with my son, he also enjoyed it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

mem posted:

Even the female gang is lesbians. The boys constantly complain about the Rosario Dawson look alike, the only hetero female, coming with them too.

Love that movie. Watched it not too long ago with my son, he also enjoyed it.

And their name sounds suspiciously like "the Lezzies".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I always assumed it was a reference to Lizzie Borden, who was rumoured to have had an illicit affair with a maid at her household before she chopped her family to bits.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish this wasn't Mill Creek

I'm going to walk this one back a little, but not all the way. I bought the VHS slipcover of Happy Birthday to Me on a whim. The transfer looks fine.

I would like it a lot better if it was $2.50 cheaper as it is literally just the movie, no menus or even chapters. For a Horror movie I'd never heard of there are worse things I could have spent $7.50 on.

Also, it's amusing to have Mary from Little House on the Prairie in a slasher.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Are there any black-and-white movies released on 4K HDR? Would HDR help a b&w movie at all?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Mandy kicks rear end, and the biggest complaint I have is that it's not available in UHD, because it could really benefit from HDR

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

NHK is debuting an 8K channel next year and the first two movies planned to be shown in true 8K will be 2001: A Space Odyssey and My Fair Lady.

david_a posted:

Are there any black-and-white movies released on 4K HDR? Would HDR help a b&w movie at all?

It's download-only, but It's a Wonderful Life is now available in 4K HDR (Dolby Vision). Not sure why it didn't get a physical release since it's from a new restoration from the camera negative.

Also, Schindler's List is coming out in a few weeks on UHD with Dolby Vision.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 2, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Egbert Souse posted:

NHK is debuting an 8K channel next year and the first two movies planned to be shown in true 8K will be 2001: A Space Odyssey and My Fair Lady.

I can only imagine the size of the transport stream files if someone caps those.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can only imagine the size of the transport stream files if someone caps those.

Christ, it'll need to compressed as gently caress. I've never finished something at 8k, but I was working with 8k red footage already shot at a 7:1 compression the other day and it was over 1.3TB per hour.

So you'd still be looking at hundreds of GB for a 10bit film to look halfway decent streamed.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 3, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's literally no point to 8K as a presentation format, except for maybe IMAX. I can see 8K monitors being good for graphics and computer use, but 4K accurately captures detail you'd see in a 70mm print let alone a direct camera negative transfer. Even six years ago, Lawrence of Arabia projected in 4K DLP looked sharper and more detailed than a new IMAX 15/70 print.

Here's the films scanned in 8K so far:

Gone with the Wind (35mm Technicolor)
The Wizard of Oz (35mm Technicolor)
Oklahoma! (65mm Todd-AO 30fps)
Rebel Without a Cause (35mm CinemaScope)
Ben-Hur (65mm Ultra Panavision)
North by Northwest (VistaVision)
The Leopard (Technirama)
Lawrence of Arabia (65mm)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (65mm Ultra Panavision - general release cut only)
My Fair Lady (65mm)
The Sound of Music (65mm)
Doctor Zhivago (35mm Panavision)
The Bible... In the Beginning (65mm)
Doctor Dolittle (65mm)
2001: A Space Odyssey (65mm)
Hello Dolly (65mm)
Tron (6K for 35mm/VistaVision sequences)
Baraka (65mm)
Samsara (65mm)

Many primarily 35mm films have been scanned at 4K/6K with effects scanned at 8K-11K like films with IMAX sequences (like Blade Runner and M:I Ghost Protocol).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Too much. Too much resolution. Don't like it!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

Too much. Too much resolution. Don't like it!

My god, it's full of grain!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
We're pretty much at the end stage of transfer quality improvement. Good thing for the studios that streaming and the death of physical media came along, so in the future they'll be able to charge people for access to their libraries in perpetuity.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, 4K already seems like more than enough quality. Honestly, why keep going up from there? The difference has gotta be imperceptible to the human eye, and if 4K Blu-Rays aren't flying out the door, why would 8K?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, 4K already seems like more than enough quality. Honestly, why keep going up from there? The difference has gotta be imperceptible to the human eye, and if 4K Blu-Rays aren't flying out the door, why would 8K?

They'll never give us 8K in a format that might work when the servers get turned off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The resolution is really the least important aspect of what they've done with UHD, at least for me. Sure, the bump in resolution is nice, but really what I like about the format is they've (mostly) taken the necessary lessons from certain blu ray releases and made real efforts to maintain the natural feel of movies that were shot on film. So you get some extra sharpness, you get a very noticeable improvement in the deepness and variety of color from HDR/Dolby Vision, and all while still watching something that feels like it was made during the era it was actually made.

So for me it's a total package that makes the format worthwhile, just simply upping the resolution again isn't going to change much in my opinion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has the deluxe White Album set for $95 right now. No video content, but it does have hi-res 92Khz stereo, mono, and 5.1 mixes on a Blu-ray.

Also, the price of Kino’s Pioneers: Early Women Filmmakers Art is down to $64. Almost 24 hours of pre-1930 cinema from new 2K and 4K transfers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

The resolution is really the least important aspect of what they've done with UHD, at least for me. Sure, the bump in resolution is nice, but really what I like about the format is they've (mostly) taken the necessary lessons from certain blu ray releases and made real efforts to maintain the natural feel of movies that were shot on film. So you get some extra sharpness, you get a very noticeable improvement in the deepness and variety of color from HDR/Dolby Vision, and all while still watching something that feels like it was made during the era it was actually made.

So for me it's a total package that makes the format worthwhile, just simply upping the resolution again isn't going to change much in my opinion.
Also no region codes :toot:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout are starting to announce March titles with Man’s Best Friend and Warning Sign. They’re kinda “whatever” but Warning Sign is a Fox title. I don’t think Fox and Shout worked much before, or if they did it’s been a while. Hoping this is part of a larger deal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Shout are starting to announce March titles with Man’s Best Friend and Warning Sign. They’re kinda “whatever” but Warning Sign is a Fox title. I don’t think Fox and Shout worked much before, or if they did it’s been a while. Hoping this is part of a larger deal.

Warning Sign is a pretty cool movie that very unfortunately fizzles out at the end.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

They released Phantom of the Paradise a while ago and Return of the Fly was in the second Vincent Price set, plus all the MGM library stuff has been through them.

I think the reason why there hasn't been a lot of actual Fox titles is because Kino Lorber and Twilight Time grabbed most of the horror/genre films.

Also, on that note, Kino has another sale and it's one of their best of the year so far:
https://www.klstudioclassics.com

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Just got an email from Filmstruck/WB with a code for five movies on movies anywhere:

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD • CASABLANCA • KING KONG • SINGIN' IN THE RAIN • A STAR IS BORN (1954)

Seems like they're sending them to former subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Just got an email from Filmstruck/WB with a code for five movies on movies anywhere:

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD • CASABLANCA • KING KONG • SINGIN' IN THE RAIN • A STAR IS BORN (1954)

Seems like they're sending them to former subscribers.

While I have the Blus for the first four, that's a really nice offer. I'm curious to whether they're 4K since except for Robin Hood they were full 4K restorations.