Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Ok, but now how do I turn it yospos black with green outlines and monospaced green text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TimWinter posted:

Ok, but now how do I turn it yospos black with green outlines and monospaced green text

$ lynx https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219 -lss=~/yospos_files/stylesheets/219.lss

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
And it's gone

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 2, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TimWinter posted:

And it's gone

Don't sign your posts with what every heart in the 219 so fondly wishes were true about your posts.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i finally understood the username jonny 219

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beamed posted:

i finally understood the username jonny 219

It's Jonny 290 tho

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

oh. welp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmfao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
fukken get 'em, boys

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

always, always fuckin' next year

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
if it makes you feel better i don't get Jonny290

unless it's a con air reference :thunk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what happened to to the 289th jonny

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
he did a 290 and walked out of the forums. rip

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

syscall girl posted:

if it makes you feel better i don't get Jonny290

unless it's a con air reference :thunk:

He lived right by a 290 street as a college student iirc

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's his credit score

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

it's his credit score

haha

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

every time i see jonny 290's username i sing it in my head to the relevant line of "new kid in town"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pa5nqYXEnY

0:55

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:stare:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
one of my coworkers wants a recommendation on a new laptop for him and his wife. he's in his sixties and won't want to learn mac os and they have zero interest in any gaming that requires a giraffics card. kind of leaning towards throwing him a dell and telling him to buy up a few years of premium support so that if it shits the bed they'll send someone out to replace the motherboard or whatever.

any thoughts on this? i briefly browsed the shsc laptop thread and everyone there talks about refurbs and video cards. lol gently caress that, if the laptop i recommend turns out to be a lemon i want my buddy to be able to get prompt service, or at least if he lassoes me into it to be able to call a person on the phone and say "this poo poo sucks, send someone out to fix this beautiful old man's laptop" and then we can go bullshit on the porch

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one of my coworkers wants a recommendation on a new laptop for him and his wife. he's in his sixties and won't want to learn

ipad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one of my coworkers wants a recommendation on a new laptop for him and his wife. he's in his sixties and won't want to learn mac os and they have zero interest in any gaming that requires a giraffics card. kind of leaning towards throwing him a dell and telling him to buy up a few years of premium support so that if it shits the bed they'll send someone out to replace the motherboard or whatever.

any thoughts on this? i briefly browsed the shsc laptop thread and everyone there talks about refurbs and video cards. lol gently caress that, if the laptop i recommend turns out to be a lemon i want my buddy to be able to get prompt service, or at least if he lassoes me into it to be able to call a person on the phone and say "this poo poo sucks, send someone out to fix this beautiful old man's laptop" and then we can go bullshit on the porch

tell them to go on dell outlet and get one of the dell 15 5000s and yeah to buy the fancy support. theres some on there right now for around $400 with the good screens and decent cpus (8th gen core proccesors, i3 or i5)and those have the better intel integrated graphics for handling bullshit on facebook

of course the fancy support will be another couple hundred on top but you can make dell repair straight up "i knocked it off the table and now it doesnt work" type damage for free with it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
dell’s are good, you can even get an XPS

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

MacBook Air

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I had some dead pixels on my xps15 and they sent a dude out the next day to replace the screen. their support is very good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

they already have one. they have a winders desktop that's a few years old and the wife wants a laptop.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

get them a macbook air and tell them you can put windows on it if they don't like macos, which wont happen (after like a couple months at least)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
please avoid these people seeking you to inflict harm on old people who have done nothing wrong.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fishmech posted:

please avoid these people seeking you to inflict harm on old people who have done nothing wrong.

Yeah but being voluntarily responsible for old people's computers is self harm

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah but being voluntarily responsible for old people's computers is self harm

that's why you buy the dell "we will show up at your house the next business day to fix it even if it's just that you spilled water on the laptop and fried it" warranty option

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm figuring out hardware for a new logging platform and any input on creative solutions would be appreciated. It's sequential IO driven; you give it a time range and the search parameters and it pulls every single log line between those ranges and then evaluates in memory and discards what it doesn't need. This means bus contention is going to be the limiting factor to work around and I'm having a hard time finding a solution that fits what I need. Cheapo SATA SSDs seem to fit the bill just fine, but they the problem becomes the link and interface bandwidth on the controller. NVMe drives directly off the PCIe bus would work but is likely overkill considering those are optimized for random IO which we aren't doing. My dream solution is some kind of M.2 PCIe riser that I can use to fully populate a PE 740 to attach those directly the bus (or as close as matters anyway) and then just swamp it with that.

I think we're constrained to Dell hardware for this one, IO cards and SSDs can probably be sourced 3rd party in a pinch.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
send it all to azure application insights

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

send it all to azure application insights

They didn't play nice with pricing so we're doing it on-prem ourselves

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm figuring out hardware for a new logging platform and any input on creative solutions would be appreciated. It's sequential IO driven; you give it a time range and the search parameters and it pulls every single log line between those ranges and then evaluates in memory and discards what it doesn't need. This means bus contention is going to be the limiting factor to work around and I'm having a hard time finding a solution that fits what I need. Cheapo SATA SSDs seem to fit the bill just fine, but they the problem becomes the link and interface bandwidth on the controller. NVMe drives directly off the PCIe bus would work but is likely overkill considering those are optimized for random IO which we aren't doing. My dream solution is some kind of M.2 PCIe riser that I can use to fully populate a PE 740 to attach those directly the bus (or as close as matters anyway) and then just swamp it with that.

I think we're constrained to Dell hardware for this one, IO cards and SSDs can probably be sourced 3rd party in a pinch.

more sata controllers. more

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

use hdds and stripe by time

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

figure out some way to apply a where clause on multiple columns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

They didn't play nice with pricing so we're doing it on-prem ourselves

i don't have a ton of volume so its loving amazing for me, but I can imagine it getting expensive real fast

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

i don't have a ton of volume so its loving amazing for me, but I can imagine it getting expensive real fast

Yeah we're talking about 2TB/day ingest. Product we're going with is giving us an unlimited license so I'm going buck wild here.

Tried the bajillion storage controllers route but honestly the $/TB for SATA SSD's is within like 20-30% of Dell's NVMe's and it's not worth the ill-defined performance overhead it's going to incur.

It just sucks because so much stuff is IOP-optimized and this thing runs pretty much exclusively on 1MB reads so I Don't Care, give me the cheapest SSD you have.

Dell get your poo poo together and make a controller with an 8x PCIe interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i have several hundred TB and need to scan it in 1MB chunks and spinny disks are unacceptable for these reasons: