Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

!Klams posted:

Ok, cool, this is basically what I was hoping, because now that I know it, I want to coerce my crew into finding it 'by accident'. If there was something that told us to, I'd rather wait for that, I don't want to jump the gun, and if they find out I've read spoilers they'll all be upset with me. I really didn't mean to, but when someone says "When did you guys open the envelope you're allowed to open whenever?" and you've only got two envelopes in your box, the penny drops pretty quick.

Number of envelopes There are three envelopes that are obvious and not hidden though: A, B, and X...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

homullus posted:

I don't care about spoilers, so I looked up what the deal was with envelope X, and I am glad I did, because ... yeah, that's not really my thing, and at the very least not why I bought Gloomhaven.

Our two boxes character has envelope X as her quest, now you've made me worried about it!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Taear posted:

Our two boxes character has envelope X as her quest, now you've made me worried about it!

No, don't worry about it! Truly. You will almost certainly know your own mind on it when you open it, and can proceed accordingly.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Taear posted:

You should be. Look it up. There are limited-spoiler explanations. Even if it's your jam, you'll still want to know about the crucial typo.

Edit: homullus isn't wrong in that it won't hurt to wait til you open it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Everyone who opens envelope X should immediately read spoilers for it because it is dumb as poo poo and literally unsolvable thanks to a typo. Not to mention even trying to solve it the actual way means you could literally never even get all the clues if you play normally.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Got some xmas presents for my group! I was amazed to find a lack of official Gloomhaven merch so I made my own, one for each of our starting characters in their color:

Considered doing something more elaborate but decided I liked the simpler thing better. We've all retired our initial characters but I think we all resonate a little more with our original mercenary heroes. I hope they like them!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

Even if it's your jam, you'll still want to know about the crucial typo.
What is the crucial typo? Assume I do not like spoilers of any kind, benign or not.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Pierzak posted:

What is the crucial typo? Assume I do not like spoilers of any kind, benign or not.

There is some text in the weird substitution cipher that you have a decoder for, the weird character for 8 was used instead of the weird character for 6. You cannot figure out from context that this is a typo, it will lead you to a conclusion that is wrong but for which you have no context for knowing that it is wrong.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Poopy Palpy posted:

There is some text in the weird substitution cipher that you have a decoder for, the weird character for 8 was used instead of the weird character for 6. You cannot figure out from context that this is a typo, it will lead you to a conclusion that is wrong but for which you have no context for knowing that it is wrong.

Yeowch. Was this fixed in second edition?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeowch. Was this fixed in second edition?

No.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

Thanks.

Also tactical post to come back to if (when) I forget that.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

darnon posted:

Starting delving into this game solo over Thanksgiving until I can wrangle my friends into it. Motivated me to experiment some quick painting techniques on the starting crew as diversion from my crushing backlog of other minis.

These are awesome and I wish I or someone in my group could do as good of a job.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Had my second session with lightning bolt, enjoyed it wwaaaaayy more now we don't have a rogue with us, being the only one in our group that can fucksmash the soul out of exactly one (or two) monsters on demand gives me a really good niche to fill. Case in point, we just fought (specific boss spoiler, though very mild as its super telegraphed, plus further lightning bolt spoilers) Jekserah, and I'd gone to open the chest when the rest of my team went in to fight her. They were gradually whittling down living corpses, as i made my way back over, healing up to full, and made it just in time to one shot her to hell, lol. I've taken to just throwing all caution out the window and taking damage from enemies to get me low rather than managing it carefully. It's way more fun. .

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The only changes I'd make to Envelope X would be fixing the typo and making it open from the town records instead of a retirement goal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

So I assume the typo was NOT intentional?

We honestly have no idea where to start with envelope X and we're just continuing through the campaign until we stumble across something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I assume the typo was NOT intentional?

The typo was fixed in one of the later printings (3rd?).

quote:

We honestly have no idea where to start with envelope X and we're just continuing through the campaign until we stumble across something.
Yeah that's a good approach.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The only changes I'd make to Envelope X would be fixing the typo and making it open from the town records instead of a retirement goal.

Envelope X is really goddamn stupid. Not only is the puzzle tedious and awful, but the thing you actually unlock after all of it isn't worth it at all. If I print it myself, it'll look like poo poo, and none of the cards will match the cards in the box (will be really easy to tell which card is coming up!).

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Man the game is a lot easier if you read the scenario rules correctly.

Scenario 33 spoilers We didn't read the spawning after the alarm correctly and were spawning an elite every single round once we opened the second door. We managed to get 3 people to the exit with some really careful use of invis to block doorways and big movement + jump to get past the room full of elite Savaas. Our Craghart didn't quite make it and we were really confused at how insane the scenario seemed. Until we re-read how it worked.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
We got it yesterday from Amazon. Played the first two scenarios as a couple.

I'm playing as a Cragheart and she's a Spellweaver.
We beat the first scenario as 'easy', and then played the second as 'normal' and lost. And it was great.

I didn't expect my girlfriend to be into this but here we are.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Woodstock posted:

We beat the first scenario as 'easy', and then played the second as 'normal' and lost. And it was great.

You only need to spoiler class names that aren't the starting 6, and for the unlockable you can refer to them as the symbol on their box without spoilers. Glad you're having fun!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Woodstock posted:

List of long-term relationship commitments:

3) moving in together

2) getting a pet together

1) playing Gloomhaven together

The couple we're playing with, dated years ago, split up, got back together back in August like three weeks before we roped them into playing with us. Now we play every Monday night. Those two better stick together, we're invested dammit

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Woodstock posted:

Those are a fun combo to start with. Cragheart can throw down the obstacle barricade while the two of you shoot them to death.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

List of long-term relationship commitments:

3) moving in together

2) getting a pet together

1) playing Gloomhaven together

The couple we're playing with, dated years ago, split up, got back together back in August like three weeks before we roped them into playing with us. Now we play every Monday night. Those two better stick together, we're invested dammit

We replaced 2 with having kids together, and that means in a dozen years we'll have two more people to play Gloomhaven with!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Oh man, our first retirement! We unlocked saw. I guess now that our team is saw, tinkerer, cragheart(me), I gotta be ready to do a lot of damage and trust my team to heal me. I'll miss the brute but getting extra cards in my deck sounds great. I see more long rests in my future. Also now I get to buy (scenario 6 treasure spoiler) second skin, which will remove my last two -1 cards, giving me 2 +0s, 8 +1s, +2,-2,null, and 2x, pretty sweet.

WCL
Dec 26, 2008

NYAAAH-AH-AH!
Vague Envelope X Spoiler Ahead:

At the very least the reward is really worth it, even if the method of getting it isn't. The biggest thing that annoys me is how the creator DIDN'T want people to know of the typo or speak of the "puzzle" online. We would of been able to figure it out eventually without looking up the answer but, wow. It is tedious and and silly if you know where to look and crazy if you don't because the hint isn't really enough of a hint at all!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Envelope X is really goddamn stupid. Not only is the puzzle tedious and awful, but the thing you actually unlock after all of it isn't worth it at all. If I print it myself, it'll look like poo poo, and none of the cards will match the cards in the box (will be really easy to tell which card is coming up!).

Envelope X - The class is really cool though. If you use sleeves you can just print the cards out in regular paper and slide them in front of some sleeved cards you're not currently using. It's perfectly fine and playable with minimal investment.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have concluded my odyssey with Triforce and vomited my thoughts into a GH Reddit-wiki-styled guide. Contains spoilers for Triforce, obviously, and nothing else except Prosperity 2.

https://imgur.com/a/3f8l7EV

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SuperKlaus posted:

I have concluded my odyssey with Triforce and vomited my thoughts into a GH Reddit-wiki-styled guide. Contains spoilers for Triforce, obviously, and nothing else except Prosperity 2.

Nice guide!

What's hilarious about Triforce guides is that all the ones over on Reddit have essentially the same top comment - "I really disagree with most/all of your choices here." :) This is even if they are giving completely opposite advice.

I guess that's a sign of a well-designed class.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just to clarify something really quick--I'm very confused on Envelope X. Can you open it whenever you want ("when you feel like you deserve it")? Or do you open it when you finish a specific Personal Quest that has the envelope listed as the reward? I thought it was the former, but after trying to look around online for a solid answer, it seems like it's actually the later option. But it's hard to tell, because almost everywhere but this thread it's just people waxing philosophical about whether they should even be talking about it online because it makes Isaac upset.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Envelope x is tied to personal quests.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Agrias120 posted:

Just to clarify something really quick--I'm very confused on Envelope X. Can you open it whenever you want ("when you feel like you deserve it")? Or do you open it when you finish a specific Personal Quest that has the envelope listed as the reward? I thought it was the former, but after trying to look around online for a solid answer, it seems like it's actually the later option. But it's hard to tell, because almost everywhere but this thread it's just people waxing philosophical about whether they should even be talking about it online because it makes Isaac upset.

Two different envelopes.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Much appreciated for you both clearing that up for me. In that case, what is the name of the envelope that you can open whenever you feel like you deserve it?

Edit: Thanks for the replies below! I must have forgotten about it from way back when I opened and reorganized the game.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 5, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

Much appreciated for you both clearing that up for me. In that case, what is the name of the envelope that you can open whenever you feel like you deserve it?

I think most people just call it the special envelope?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Agrias120 posted:

It is labeled "Open this when you feel you deserve it." There's really no mistaking it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Great guide and mirrors my experiences and card choices pretty well, though I went from spellweaver to triforce.

I don't get the hate.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Great guide and mirrors my experiences and card choices pretty well, though I went from spellweaver to triforce.

I don't get the hate.

It's a good class. I wonder if the fact that it is highly variable explains the hate. Not only is it very different to play 2P (Triforce spoiler) with no other element generation vs 4P with other characters who put out elements, but I found that the class itself changes radically as you acquire perks, far more than any of the others. I am extremely interested to see what people think of the Diviner/Triforce combination, preferably in a 4P group with some melee types. There's some subtle and very effective synergies operating there.

SuperKlaus, I don't agree with all the guide advice, though it is far better than the other Triforce guides I've seen; I may drop a longer analysis in spoiler tags at some point. For now, I'll just say (Triforce spoilers) the way you build and play the class depends heavily on your priority for damage over stun, and drives the balance between fire and ice usage and generation. The class is designed for those two elements to be primary and somewhat exclusive, in the sense that you're encouraged to use opposing pairs of elements. So picking fire over ice leads to a very different guide. I found it possible to build toward a more flexible approach. The extent to which you can do that depends upon how much damage the rest of the party delivers. This build plus the Diviner plus a class like Sun or Lightning could be devastatingly effective.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Narsham posted:

It's a good class. I wonder if the fact that it is highly variable explains the hate. Not only is it very different to play 2P (Triforce spoiler) with no other element generation vs 4P with other characters who put out elements, but I found that the class itself changes radically as you acquire perks, far more than any of the others. I am extremely interested to see what people think of the Diviner/Triforce combination, preferably in a 4P group with some melee types. There's some subtle and very effective synergies operating there.

This seems to be the biggest problem overall with Reddit guides -- they never account for the differences in playstyle and strategy that follow when you're playing 1p/2p/3p/4p. A lot of the received wisdom / consensus over there relies on presumptions that don't hold across playgroups -- see, e.g., the reddit consensus that Retaliate is just bad, period, when it's actually incredibly good if 1) it is a standing persistent effect and 2) you're playing 4p.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The "hypothetical scenario with no party members" is still the best burn on that type of guide/attitude

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
It's especially funny because apparently I've played all the "worst" classes: Tinkerer, Two Minis, Triforce, and Circles, and I have had a loving blast the entire time.

I'm sure they're all much worse in 2P but I've been playing with a full 4-person party the whole time and this game is great.

Also never look at the subreddit for enhancement suggestions because adding curse to every possible multitarget attack is boring as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xad posted:

It's especially funny because apparently I've played all the "worst" classes: Tinkerer, Two Minis, Triforce, and Circles, and I have had a loving blast the entire time.

I'm sure they're all much worse in 2P but I've been playing with a full 4-person party the whole time and this game is great.

Also never look at the subreddit for enhancement suggestions because adding curse to every possible multitarget attack is boring as hell

We've played with the latter two in 2p and I loved triforce and my wife was eh on circles, so who the gently caress knows!