Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kunster posted:

To be frank according to people like Seanbaby (scroll down to his Fred Ettish bit here but its spread around in general on nearly every piece he did regarding fighting), people did earnestly thought that all of the weird nonsense about martial arts was real. Frank Dux did successfully sell his story as being real for years, even with exposes being written as early as 1988.

seanbaby... now there's a name i havent thought about in almost 2 decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

That Tito ending was peak Tito.

For those who don't know him and how smart he talks:
https://twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1033507314198667264

Reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Also, the doc would have been better if Jon Bois had narrated it. Sorry Felix, but he has a better voice.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I think he started writing some new stuff recently. Last one I read of his was about conservative comedy.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is also the first time in history that snl’s political sketches have been at all political.

idk man, the running gag of there being no difference between Bush and Gore was pretty political.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

seanbaby... now there's a name i havent thought about in almost 2 decades

His Steven Seagal episode with the dude on behind the bastards was funny. He talks about MMA a bit in it in the context of why Seagal is so full of poo poo

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://youtu.be/v3E3Y3LW0X4

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/Bernlennials/status/1069469385616736258

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Glad to see Arsene Wenger found some new work

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

What should I do with my hands? *pretends to hold the reins of an invisible horse*

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought this was gonna be an extremely online leftist podcast cop but he writes for the Weekly Standard and NRO
Thought that too, remembered seeing this guy once before -- around the book release he posted some huge thread of Chapo tweet screenshots that were all phrased in some stupid online way like "Hi @willmenaker, we see you" like he was digging up the proverbial receipts but it was just them saying extremely cool things they publicly say 24/7.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Also, the doc would have been better if Jon Bois had narrated it. Sorry Felix, but he has a better voice.

I think Jon bois has a better voice too but I'm not sure if he could nail the infliction of Felix's humor as well.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Seanbaby talk is kinda fitting given that Bois started his writing carrer as a Seanbaby-esque writer. [url=" http://web.archive.org/web/20070910195105/http://progressiveboink.com:80/archive/jon/ "]If you tinker with internet archive a bit,[/url] you can see how he used to write.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Just realized that Jon Bois isn't this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfspJOAtBI

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

emdash posted:

looks like it was written with voice to text

pretty sure they are just having trouble with the politics/entertainment divide, as so many do
I'll give credit to Jon Bois for understanding sports's ability to drag people away from the lovely political environment. He's an all right guy. I want him, Drew Magary, and PFT Commenter to tell their employers to eat poo poo and make a fun sports website. It's a crime that the internet doesn't have one of those anymore.
Ten years ago, one of SNL's most famous recent alumna (Tina Fey) denounced Jon Stewart as practicing "clapter," a term that she credited Seth Meyers with creating. Today, both Meyers and SNL are two of TV's loudest practitioners.

Isn't comedy supposed to go in phases? Because it feels like clapter has been going on for ages with no signs of stopping.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Trump man bad we love Hillary - those freaks who write comedy for the hot couch flyover states

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't know if anyone listened to the Real-rear end Podcast that Nick guested on recently, but Luis J. Gomez is the exactly the kind of small business owner that Chapo makes fun of. He's so stupid.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'll give credit to Jon Bois for understanding sports's ability to drag people away from the lovely political environment. He's an all right guy. I want him, Drew Magary, and PFT Commenter to tell their employers to eat poo poo and make a fun sports website. It's a crime that the internet doesn't have one of those anymore.

Ten years ago, one of SNL's most famous recent alumna (Tina Fey) denounced Jon Stewart as practicing "clapter," a term that she credited Seth Meyers with creating. Today, both Meyers and SNL are two of TV's loudest practitioners.

Isn't comedy supposed to go in phases? Because it feels like clapter has been going on for ages with no signs of stopping.

I think the Stewart-Colbert clapter phase ended, and the current one is drivan by nostalgia for it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Krazyface posted:

I think the Stewart-Colbert clapter phase ended, and the current one is drivan by nostalgia for it.

Maybe it’s rose-colored glasses, but I also feel like they were way better comedians than anyone doing mainstream political humor these days (though Colbert now is certainly not very good). I don’t know how well the political commentary holds up with my politics these days, but stuff like the field reports on both of their shows was timeless.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
They were middling Onion articles designed to make you feel better than Mitch or whoever. You were supposed to feel like there was no need to march in the streets (because look at how stupid Bush is) and there’s no point to marching in the streets (because we’ll never be able to stop the war.)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Nah, The Colbert Report was legitimately funny and an excellent work of satire. That's why he disappoints me the most of the people on late night- he's capable of so much better and he had a TV show that proved as much. This phase of comedy is just people imitating the last couple years of Jon Stewart, which was largely him getting angry, exasperated, and screaming at current events. The only difference was that he regularly made fun of the media along with political leaders, which you'll never see JO, Sam Bee, the idiots at SNL, etc. do.

Chakan posted:

They were middling Onion articles designed to make you feel better than Mitch or whoever. You were supposed to feel like there was no need to march in the streets (because look at how stupid Bush is) and there’s no point to marching in the streets (because we’ll never be able to stop the war.)
Hundreds of thousands of people marched across America to protest the invasion of Iraq before it happened, and it ended up doing jackshit. It's not a coincidence that TDS and Jon Stewart rose to prominence not long after that.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 5, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Hundreds of thousands of people marched across America to protest the invasion of Iraq before it happened, and it ended up doing jackshit. It's not a coincidence that TDS and Jon Stewart rose to prominence not long after that.

Absolutely, I didn’t mean to sound belittling when I say middling, more a testament to the general tone and quality of the onion. But I do think we’re in harmony that TDS became prominent after the left realized that bush didn’t have to care about marches & the despair that created. There are def. some parallels with how I felt during the 2016 primary, which spurred me to listen to chapo more.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stewart also got out at exactly the right time and in his final episodes he hammered the point home that all of his "eviscerations" and "destructions" of various things amounted to absolutely nothing. I'm kind of curious what he would think of something like Chapo but he has wisely kept away from the spotlight for a few years and was never stupid enough to have an active Twitter. I imagine if he were an active pundit his takes on them would be in the realm of Jeet Heer or Chris Hayes or Jon Lovett before they really started feuding with PSA.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 5, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boss Ross is at it again with another dumb article

https://twitter.com/rcpress_sean/status/1070311208409067520?s=21

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't know if anyone listened to the Real-rear end Podcast that Nick guested on recently, but Luis J. Gomez is the exactly the kind of small business owner that Chapo makes fun of. He's so stupid.

He recently threatened some dude with a katana on some podcast.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Killtony/comments/a2zrxl/latest_episode_removed_from_youtube/

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The magic of TDS wasn't Jon's performance, it was the writing and the incredulity of the early internet. Two things made the TDS: the video guys who could find a clip of a politician saying X when this week's headline was the same politican saying NOT X, and the local politican, businessman, weirdo, who would absolutely say the unfiltered truth rattling around inside their heads, no matter how stupid, because they were starstuck to be on TV.

It couldn't last, and we're no longer shocked by hyprocracy anymore, but when it was new, TDS had the same vitality and truth as I've felt from the early chapo shows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It was probably for the best that Colbert ended his show when he did because I have no idea how you keep that going under Trump.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Speaking of early Internet, does anyone know what happened to wunderkind Mark Steyn? For a while he really seemed to be the ideological driver of the conservative online culture. Hell, he was one of the most visible early adopters of the white genocide and ismal invasion in the mainstream.

Did he simply get buried by the shoutier, less wordy chuds? I'm surprised he hasn't been featured in a Chapo episode yet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was probably for the best that Colbert ended his show when he did because I have no idea how you keep that going under Trump.

The fact that he did that character for nearly a decade was absurd and probably owed a lot to the weird, apolitical Conan-esque bits that the show used frequently.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sephyr posted:

Speaking of early Internet, does anyone know what happened to wunderkind Mark Steyn? For a while he really seemed to be the ideological driver of the conservative online culture. Hell, he was one of the most visible early adopters of the white genocide and ismal invasion in the mainstream.

Did he simply get buried by the shoutier, less wordy chuds? I'm surprised he hasn't been featured in a Chapo episode yet.

the only time I hear of him is when he guest hosts for limbaugh when limbaugh is on vacation doing sex crimes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

it's like they said when they were making fun of that wannabe colbert report that one of those barely funny TDS people moved on to. To do a Colbert Report these days you have to be a loving nazi infowars type, that's the current mainstream of the GOP messaging. Fox News is played out and half the voters who love Trump think Fox is riddled with cucks and libs like CNN.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

it's like they said when they were making fun of that wannabe colbert report that one of those barely funny TDS people moved on to. To do a Colbert Report these days you have to be a loving nazi infowars type, that's the current mainstream of the GOP messaging. Fox News is played out and half the voters who love Trump think Fox is riddled with cucks and libs like CNN.

Jordan Klepper did an Infowars parody show and it did poorly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jordan Klepper did an Infowars parody show and it did poorly.

wasn't that the one they were talking about? That was way more Sean Hannity style, You gotta do Infowars right, constant ads for various insane fake medicine, conspiracy theories more deep than 'dems bad', someone who can actually get red nude and mad on command, all that jazz.

Fake Infowars could be really funny but you need a 'host' who actually understands what they're making fun of beyond 'yea they think everything is a commie conspiracy got it whatever'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Colbert did some InfoWars parody stuff on his current show and I thought it was great

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Adomian infowars parody

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

sexpig by night posted:

wasn't that the one they were talking about? That was way more Sean Hannity style, You gotta do Infowars right, constant ads for various insane fake medicine, conspiracy theories more deep than 'dems bad', someone who can actually get red nude and mad on command, all that jazz.

Fake Infowars could be really funny but you need a 'host' who actually understands what they're making fun of beyond 'yea they think everything is a commie conspiracy got it whatever'.

I know someone who was asked to submit for Jordan’s show and one of the guidelines is you couldn’t use Jordan’s marriage for jokes. Despite the fact that the person he was basing this character on was dealing w messy divorce stuff and OH YEAH Jordan’s playing a character. That’s part of the issue.

Colbert went all the way, and I know people HATED that during interviews but that’s why the show and character worked so wel. He was so drat committed. That made the difference.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I remember liking the earlier Bush era DS more, when they still had Even Stevphen as a segment. I didn't like Bee or Oliver when they showed up. I don't know if I felt earnestness creeping in or if it was some other kind of tone shift. Stewart was always kind of lame with his jokes and delivery but he was charismatic enough for hosting.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Remember Mo Rocca?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Remember Mo Rocca?

you mean ro khanna

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Remember Mo Rocca?

Yes, but only because I've seen every I Love the 70s/80s/90s multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Remember Mo Rocca?

From Iron Chef?