Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kith posted:

All of this talk of sets has me wondering how one would build a character trying to equip as many sets as possible. Just fuckin'... six sets. 2-piece effects for days.

https://www.d3planner.com/303938946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Star Man posted:

This is how it was done in 2.0 before seasons went live. You'd often mix Asheara and Augild sets crafted by the blacksmith.

You know, after hunting down the unique crafting materials needed for them.
Everyone hated the unique material requirement, but honestly having them require bounty mats is worse, because it makes your bounty mat totals uneven and that upsets me on an aesthetic level.

It's sort of pointless now because of the free sets, though: you used to do that when you were a fresh 70 and wanted to bootstrap your way into low torment.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ffffffffffffffffffffffff

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mewse posted:

ffffffffffffffffffffffff

Hit me up if you want some help. Toshimo#1112

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm going to be on the better part of the rest of the day if anyone wants to do seasonal stuff. I can do powerlevels and I have a ton of GR keys, Puzzles, and Uber keys.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just bought D3 this morning. Powered through Act 1 (Barbarian)

Got some questions:

-What happens to this character when the season ends on the 16th?
- Are those points I'm accumulating from completing cheevos used for anything?
- Is there anything I need to know as a newcomer to the game? I played a buuuuunch of D2 back in the day but I've already noticed that this one is quite a bit different.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

RickVoid posted:

Just bought D3 this morning. Powered through Act 1 (Barbarian)

Got some questions:

-What happens to this character when the season ends on the 16th?
- Are those points I'm accumulating from completing cheevos used for anything?
- Is there anything I need to know as a newcomer to the game? I played a buuuuunch of D2 back in the day but I've already noticed that this one is quite a bit different.

If you made a seasonal character (which you should, nobody should start non-season), your character will auto convert to non seasonal at the end of the season.

Cheevo points are for epeen only.

Play through the story once and then never again. Just play adventure mode forever. Join aome of the open communities (and/or dead goon community LLJK) after you get done with the story and get someone to powerlevel you or feed you gear. Don't bother muddling around at the lower difficulties you are just wasting your own time.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
All right, trying to race through the campaign as fast as I can while still appreciating the story (D3 ain't been great so far but D1 and D2 were already thinly-veiled excuses to murder things by the drove so it's fine). Finished my play session last night at Level 36, 7 hours in. I feel like I'm closing in on the end of act 2 (about to ressurect the obvious villain). Hopefully I finish it up tonight and get a ways into Act 3.

Just some newbie observations, but Blizz seems to have really figured out how to do drop rates. I'm pretty satisfied with the rate at which I'm getting good gear, and what I'm not getting I can just make. Super pleased with that.

I am a little annoyed that they didn't integrate adventure mode stuff into the campaign, but I can understand that it would gently caress up the campaign balance. Mostly I'm annoyed that I'm already commited to finishing the campaign before I can really work on the season rewards. Pretty sure I'm gonna miss out on this sweet barbarian set but it's my own fault for waiting this long to pull the trigger on the game. Might still get a piece or two.

I love how much more powerful characters feel compared to the D2 cast. An example of story and game mechanics doing a good job of working together.

The synergy of hitting everyone around me with an ability that draws everyone in and stuns them, then hitting them with a second ability that hits everyone in the face with a thrown axe, hitting full fury, and then popping whirlwind and turning anything still alive into chunky salsa as a Cuisinart of Death feels just so good.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 3, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

RickVoid posted:

I am a little annoyed that they didn't integrate adventure mode stuff into the campaign, but I can understand that it would gently caress up the campaign balance. Mostly I'm annoyed that I'm already commited to finishing the campaign before I can really work on the season rewards. Pretty sure I'm gonna miss out on this sweet barbarian set but it's my own fault for waiting this long to pull the trigger on the game. Might still get a piece or two.

Nah. Once you finish campaign, you'll slam out the stuff to get the 6pc real fast. The tail end of the season rewards (pretty picture frames), maybe not, but the rest will go quick.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, unless I'm misremembering, you can just hop into adventure mode at any point and not worry about the campaign, if that's what you really want.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Yeah, the season reward is not an exclusive set. If you want to finish the campaign to see the story or whatever before you hop into adventure mode, you can still find the pieces of the Barb set even if the season ends.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I had to play campaign to unlock adventure for my HC character this season, as this is the first time I've ever created one. Had completely forgotten that was ever necessary at this point.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Late to the party, but I just filled my WD's helltooth set, and the game instantly went from "I'll probably finish this 34 GR on-time" to "I'll probably notice if an elite gets within striking distance before it dies". And WDs are supposed to be one of the less-powerful classes? Sheesh.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

Late to the party, but I just filled my WD's helltooth set, and the game instantly went from "I'll probably finish this 34 GR on-time" to "I'll probably notice if an elite gets within striking distance before it dies". And WDs are supposed to be one of the less-powerful classes? Sheesh.

The fact that GRs scale exponentially means "F-tier builds that can only get up to GR110 max" are still going to trivialize content until GR90 and probably longer than that. The only place you're really going to have a bad time are sets with weird tricks like Wizard Firebird, where you've got a survivability buff that only exists while enemies are on fire, so if things die too fast you'll get oneshot by arrows and poo poo like that, until you're at high enough GRs that elites don't evaporate when you breathe on them.

Everything else, though? :discourse:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I see top solo Crusaders in the mid-120s, while top solo WDs are "only" in the hundred-and-teens with what looks like an Arachyr firebats build. I'm okay with that sort of diminished potential.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

RickVoid posted:

Just some newbie observations, but Blizz seems to have really figured out how to do drop rates. I'm pretty satisfied with the rate at which I'm getting good gear, and what I'm not getting I can just make. Super pleased with that.

Compared to launch era, you speak an objective truth. Regardless of that, you're going to have days, maybe even weeks, that are going to make you rescind that statement.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What should I be rolling shards for at this point? https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Toshimo-1112/hero/106372662

Shoulders for Area+CDR or Helm for 1% more crit?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

5er posted:

Compared to launch era, you speak an objective truth. Regardless of that, you're going to have days, maybe even weeks, that are going to make you rescind that statement.

Yeah, gamecubes alone will make you swear the RNG is a living, malicious thing specifically out to get you individually sometimes.

It all evens out in the end, of course, but there are those times...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Toshimo posted:

What should I be rolling shards for at this point? https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Toshimo-1112/hero/106372662

Full disclaimer that I'm not a poop socking leaderboard chaser, and of often wrong on some of the mechanics of the game. For me, I'd try to get CDR on your rings so you can drop that belt in favor of a witching hour and COE.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Between the two you're asking about shoulders are probably the better option since your only area damage appears to be from paragon you'll see more from getting that.

Getting a witching hour would be good too, possibly a cdr/crit/crit ring or maybe swapping out the 15% multishot damage on the quiver for cdr. The last one is hard to gauge since you already have so much multishot damage the 15% on the quiver isn't worth a lot with diminshing returns; how it stacks up to a potential 50% crit damage on the belt is the question. My guess is the 50% crit damage is the better option.

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 5, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Will Styles posted:

Between the two you're asking about shoulders are probably the better option since your only area damage appears to be from paragon you'll see more from getting that.

Getting a witching hour would be good too, possibly a cdr/crit/crit ring or maybe swapping out the 15% multishot damage on the quiver for cdr. The last one is hard to gauge since you already have so much multishot damage the 15% on the quiver isn't worth a lot with diminshing returns; how it stacks up to a potential 50% crit damage on the belt is the question. My guess is the 50% crit damage is the better option.

Yeah, but blood shards for Focus/Restraint sucks, though. So, I'm just rollin' Yangs until I get a better one and then I'll know if I'm gonna get my CDR there. I've got a few Witching Hours to mess around with, I just haven't settled on how that's all gonna work out yet. I'm also hoping for a better HFA, which is gonna have to factor into the equation as well.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm on mobile right now so I can only go by the text on the page rather than the hover stats, but just going on that, your total dex, chc and chd are all low for your paragon level. I'll try to remever to check it out on PC when I get home and give you some more feedback.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This Twitter thread is gold! Apparently, if you send in a picture of you playing Diablo on the Switch, you can win... Diablo and a Switch???

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1070070328402042881?s=19

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toshimo posted:

This Twitter thread is gold! Apparently, if you send in a picture of you playing Diablo on the Switch, you can win... Diablo and a Switch???

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1070070328402042881?s=19

Is it random draw to who wins or most votes? Also

Lmao

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Do you guys not have Nintendo Switches?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kheldarn posted:

Do you guys not have Nintendo Switches?

No.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Might be the saddest thing I’ve read all day.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MarcusSA posted:

Might be the saddest thing I’ve read all day.

I'm not dropping $300 on a console of which there's a single game I'm even interested in that I can't already get on my PS4 or PC. It's going to take an eighth generation Pokémon game to raise my interest in the Switch. Zelda alone isn't enough to move me and Smash and Nintendo Online can go gently caress themselves.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 5, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Nintendo development cycle:

New console
Parallel re-release of current title
New Mario
New single-game peripheral (this step abandoned during WiiU lifeycle)
New Mario Kart
New Zelda
Opportunity to buy NES titles for $30 each
Add-an-option-and-call-it-new Pokemon
So-so cross-platform rerelase of title that plays better elsewhere (<--- You Are Here)
Shovelware
GOTO 10

The Switch looks cool but D3 won't sell me a system when I get the same experience on PC, with a bigger community and a record of my previous progress.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 5, 2018

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Nintendo development cycle:

New console
Parallel re-release of current title
New Mario
New single-game peripheral (this step abandoned during WiiU lifeycle)
New Mario Kart
New Zelda
Opportunity to buy NES titles for $30 each
Add-an-option-and-call-it-new Pokemon
So-so cross-platform rerelase of title that plays better elsewhere (<--- You Are Here)
Shovelware
GOTO 10

The Switch looks cool but D3 won't sell me a system when I get the same experience on PC, with a bigger community and a record of my previous progress.

Don't forget "Stealth announcement that there is no new Metroid currently planned for this generation"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Star Man posted:

I'm not dropping $300 on a console of which there's a single game I'm even interested in that I can't already get on my PS4 or PC. It's going to take an eighth generation Pokémon game to raise my interest in the Switch. Zelda alone isn't enough to move me and Smash and Nintendo Online can go gently caress themselves.

New generation of pokemon made for switch will be out this year. Diablo 3 is perfect on switch because I only play it on the go. Which means it takes longer to get to the part where I have nothing left to do but grind g levels and ancient legendaries. If I played this trash game on pc I'd be done in a weekend.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Holyshoot posted:

New generation of pokemon made for switch will be out this year. Diablo 3 is perfect on switch because I only play it on the go. Which means it takes longer to get to the part where I have nothing left to do but grind g levels and ancient legendaries. If I played this trash game on pc I'd be done in a weekend.

That's nice.

Look, even when I lived in a city where I regularly rode a light rail, my 3DS just sat at home most of the time and I read the Internet instead on my phone. You're not going to sell me on a Switch. I want people to enjoy their Switch if they have one, but I don't loving care otherwise.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Star Man posted:

That's nice.

Look, even when I lived in a city where I regularly rode a light rail, my 3DS just sat at home most of the time and I read the Internet instead on my phone. You're not going to sell me on a Switch. I want people to enjoy their Switch if they have one, but I don't loving care otherwise.

Fair enough. Just giving reasons it's good. I bought one day one and Zelda but barely played it and sold it. Picked it back up again (partially because it was paid for by rmt from another game) and will keep it. D3 is fun on it and pokemon this year!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Might have missed this being posted here, so just in case:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20770676889 posted:

In order to ensure a smooth transition between Seasons, and give players extra time to enjoy the Double Bounty Cache buff, we will be ending Season 15 on January 6. With this, Season 16 is scheduled to begin on January 11.

Of course the loving idiots start the new season after the holidays.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tahirovic posted:

Might have missed this being posted here, so just in case:

Of course the loving idiots start the new season after the holidays.

which would you rather have, long season or season that breaks for the holiday break because they’re all out of office

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm ok with the season extending. I only just finished putting together a swk monk on my Switch, which really makes the season feel 'arrived' for me.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm pretty happy about this, because it gives me more time to get the Season stuff done. Level 53 now, Azmodan is dead and I'm a chunk of the way into Act IV. Got the difficulty bumped to Expert, which still feels pretty easy but it's as high as it'll let me go until I complete Act IV.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The only people "hurt" by extending the season are people trying to maintain a leaderboard position, so it's pretty cool, ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Would have really liked to play the new season during my vacation which starts Saturday and lasts until January 7. Not sure I want to push more in this current season.