Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the author offering to doxx the warehouse that destroyed the books?

“Elizabeth Chaidraditkul” posted:

Lots of people have been asking about the name of the warehouse - at this moment I don't know the name and am speaking to my publisher about this. If I do get a name (and can share it) I will with the people who asked. However, I'm tempering this decision with the fact that I don't want the person who reported this to get in trouble and also want to make sure I know all the facts before acting. Thanks for your understanding <3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

The usual OSR crowd are trying their hardest to make it a free speech / censorship / prudishness issue, when it's extremely likely that they were pulped because they needed the space and that product wasn't moving. Nobody in that warehouse would have cared enough to read the book and make a decision about its contents and writing.

yea the idea that the distributor is buying these books, looking through them, and going 'oh my well I don't approve of THIS' is hilarious.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I’ve heard of stuff like that legitimately happening because there are in fact lovely moral guardian types out there.

But it’s ridiculous to jump immediately to that as the motivation.

Maybe they tried to fork it off on some discount retailer who refused it for that reason, but that’s as much as I’d credit without some strong evidence otherwise.

Also has anyone seen the material in question? A lot of LotFP material is explicit in ways that are lovely and regressive, and hides behind the idea that anyone complaining is just a prudish regressive moral guardian.

So even if the charge is accurate I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a case of everyone involved being poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

From what I can tell, the supplement was an old Gencon exclusive. So unless they wanted to piss off nerds by breaking exclusivity, it was dead product costing them space and money in a warehouse plot.

So my money's on them "forgetting" to pay rent so the warehouse would handle disposal. This "moral outrage at women's periods" is a marketable side effect.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Literally every single B. Dalton and Barnes and Noble pulped hundreds of books a month. They tore the covers off, sent the them back to the publisher (some of them notified the publisher instead, just depended on who you were dealing with) and destroyed the rest. 32 gallon garbage cans full of coverless books. Bummer but it's not unusual at all and it's not some censorship thing. The publisher gets paid.

Source: Friend was a manager at one of these and used to give me the coverless books with the caveat that I destroyed them after reading them (I did)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yeah bookstores destroy unsold books all the time. It does depend on the publishers--some indie publishers ask that unsold copies be returned intact, but like...your Harlequin Romances just want the front covers to prove the book was unsold, they're not going to try to move those things anywhere else or pay for more storage.

Happens *mostly* with mass market paperbacks. You don't see it typically with hardcovers.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Also has anyone seen the material in question? A lot of LotFP material is explicit in ways that are lovely and regressive, and hides behind the idea that anyone complaining is just a prudish regressive moral guardian.

From a quick read-through:

Over a course of time from one Full Moon to the next, you enter into a pact/ritual with an otherworldly representation of menstruation.

Step One: Make out with a young woman and an old woman, "by gentle kiss or by force" and jack/jill off. (It says "pleasure yourself" until "climax", so I doubt the "pleasuring oneself" if have a nice lie-down with a good book and a cup of tea.) If "by gentle kiss", you get a power to heal others by nibbling at their wounds. If "by force", you can now spit poison. Each power has a chance to just not work when you use it, and lasts until the Full Moon turns to a Gibbous Moon. If you have a willy, it starts to hurt.

Step Two: Cut yourself. You now have the ability to cause damage to your self (like, a 1d3 worth of damage, or 1d6, etc) which you'll be able to cause damage to someone else later. 1-in-6 chance to take that damage again when you unleash it on someone. Again, power lasts until the next moon phase. If you have a willy, it's dead and just kinda hanging there.

Step Three: Put your blood in the earth, it grows plants, water those plants with yet more of your blood, and you then choose how many petals to each get a different set of powers depending on how many petals you ate. If you have a willy, congratulations, you don't any more and there's a vagina where it used to be, and during the first three stages you've also being growing a pair of breasts to match. So, that's nice.

Step Four: The moon is Waxing, and you get a choice of two powers.

Step Five: You sort of birth a "avatar" made out of blood. It comes in two whole varieties! One appears to be more "punchy" than the other, but the other has spells and other not-direct-damage shenanigans. You've gotta follow certain rules or it gets mopey. By now it's a New Moon.

Step Six: Depending on how well you followed those rules, you get some sort of buff. You lose your blood pal.

Step Seven: Choose either one of three powers, or don't. You have to do more stuff get get the greater-powers - Which a referee would probably use to cause later complications.

Step Eight: You finished the ritual, and start it again next full moon. You gain other stuff while going through the ritual again for being a "blooded". The blood avatar can end up getting more powerful each time you go through the cycle.

Then there's advice on how someone gets "infected" with the otherworldly entity, other powers they have as a blooded, and advice for how to run the ritual without it being too much of a pain in the arse for upkeep and stuff.

To be honest, the worst thing is the image of the lady standing on her tiptoes. Not even the blood running down her legs, the whole standing on tiptoes. It's uncomfortable.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I mean, I assume there're certainly instances where it might be warranted, but it seems like this thing came out in August. Would a distributor really dump a book's inventory after only four or five months?

Maybe if it were moving like 1 copy a month?

I could fully believe that the distributor just came to the conclusion it wasn't moving, but also the person more directly in-charge of getting rid of the books thought they were gross and said so to a co-worker who went ahead and stirred some poo poo up.

I wouldn't even really be all that skeptical (LotFP or not) except this whole thing has ginned up a big shitstorm of "someone contracted to hold the books" destroyed them, and you have to really dig around to find out it was a distributor who would have bought them as part of the chain and have total control over them. Elizabeth has edited the OP at least once, but only to clarify she wants to be careful about naming names, without clarifying that she's not talking about a contractor but a wholesaler.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LashLightning posted:

From a quick read-through:

So a bit of sexual harassment and some light self-harm will grant you your very own menstrual golem. :stonklol:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Okay, so this is third hand but:

quote:

Raggi uses the term "local distributor" and says they don't even know how many books "Might be hundreds. Might be 5."

I eagerly await the ruination of some little brick-and-mortar's day because they said "this stuff looks gross" while they got rid of some inventory that no one would buy, when they get doxxed for chucking five books.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Weird seeing people getting so upset about someone doing something with their private property.

I assume it is most likely just someone dumping a product that sells so poorly that it isn't worth warehousing. I know I have done that to things at my business that people shouldn't bat an eye.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's basically the same schtick from when the bad haircut man tried to post here. Why attribute rejection to your own shortcomings when you can feign persecution by the prudes?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's the same poo poo MR*H pulled. Everything except signal boosting is censorship because we're so incredibly edgy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bad haircut man?

I don’t pay attention to RPG writers’ haircuts so I got nothing.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bad haircut man?

I don’t pay attention to RPG writers’ haircuts so I got nothing.

A name searching serial harasser who folks are reluctant to call by name because he has a way of chasing people off of the internet with his hate mobs and who is incredibly thin skinned about any form of criticism. Also known as tabletop Voledmort in some circles.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O that piece of poo poo.

Sorry, I never payed much attention to his hair because, you know, virulent sub-human rear end in a top hat.

Now I got you.

Also it wasn't until I typed this out that I realized it could even still be multiple people (gently caress the state of the this hobby, jesus), but I assume you mean the one whose name starts with a Z.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A creep with a history of obsessively Google searching himself. I'm about 85% certain he's got site alerts setup for SA and Twitter so that he can sealion his "good name" or quote us on his harassment blog or whatever.

E:fb

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Now I really want to know who it is

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Zak S you are a piece of poo poo and your “progressive nature” is just covering for your actual regressive views and how you are actually an abusive rapist. Kthxbai

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FMguru posted:

Slow-moving book stock gets pulped all the time. I'm a little surprised they didn't dump in on some discount book wholesaler for pennies on the dollar, but maybe the subject matter made that too much hassle.

That's pretty much the only angle for censorship, but yeah, I have friends who work at a used bookstore who trash or give away "adult" material often enough because it's stuff they generally can't shelve (with some rare exceptions) when they get it in bulk purchases or the like. Which is just something that happens to that kind of media all the time, at least here in the States.

The Venn diagram of "stores that carry adult material", "stores that carry RPG books", and "stores that carry small, unheard-of publishers" is not a huge intersection.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Arivia posted:

Zak S you are a piece of poo poo and your “progressive nature” is just covering for your actual regressive views and how you are actually an abusive rapist. Kthxbai

This is the second time I've seen someone accuse Zak of being a rapist, which I'd appreciate some elaboration on.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah that's a new accusation to me. (Not that it's exactly out there considering the rest of his... Everything. But it's novel.)

Also I'm really sad because China Mieville did a children's book that I bought for my nephew and then it turns out he did the art. And then it turned out China Mieville was also problematic. So now I'm down a book for my nephew and also a favorite author. God drat it.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
What did China Mieville do

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Apparently he is a gaslighting sex pest. I can pull the relevant article if you want.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

This is the second time I've seen someone accuse Zak of being a rapist, which I'd appreciate some elaboration on.

The whole point of that post was to taunt Zak's google alerts, so I'm not going to out his victims at the same time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Apparently he is a gaslighting sex pest. I can pull the relevant article if you want.

Please do. I enjoy seeing people who poo poo on Tolkien fall.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

https://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

It's arguably more like a bad break-up thing but it really doesn't look good.

Like even the most charitable version, he's not a rapist or whatever, but he's definitely a huge rear end in a top hat.

And I've got every one of his books since I found him in god drat middle school. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also I'm really sad because China Mieville did a children's book that I bought for my nephew and then it turns out he did the art. And then it turned out China Mieville was also problematic. So now I'm down a book for my nephew and also a favorite author. God drat it.

Neil Faulkner's A People's History of the Russian Revolution was much more readable and accessible than Mieville's October

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, I found all of this out a while ago and dumped all of China's books. It was a bummer at the time but there are already too many books in the world that I'll never be able to get around to that aren't written by monsters or the monster-adjacent and after a few months I found that I didn't miss them.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

And I've got every one of his books since I found him in god drat middle school. :(

I mean, I know things look bad now, what with replacing a book from your favorite author, then replacing your favorite author himself, but I think you'll look back on the and laugh the day you'll need to replace your nephew next.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Bedlamdan posted:

I mean, I know things look bad now, what with replacing a book from your favorite author, then replacing your favorite author himself, but I think you'll look back on the and laugh the day you'll need to replace your nephew next.

What do you get out of being an rear end in a top hat like this? You just need to prance in and drop some sardonic wit minimizing the issue whenever people talk about being upset by creators and companies doing lovely things?

Like, maybe a man being a womanizer isn't bad enough for you to stop reading his work. Fair enough - everyone can draw their own line and it's not like we're talking about Cosby here. But you seem to bristle at the idea of these men facing social opprobrium for bad behaviour.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

What did China Mieville do

Worst english language author since David Foster Wallace passed the torch

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

What do you get out of being an rear end in a top hat like this? You just need to prance in and drop some sardonic wit minimizing the issue whenever people talk about being upset by creators and companies doing lovely things?

I don't think he's gonna replace his nephew or that his nephew is actually gonna do anything bad. I just wanted to make a stupid joke that at the current trajectory, his nephew is probably going to disappoint him next.

Jimbozig posted:

Like, maybe a man being a womanizer isn't bad enough for you to stop reading his work.

No, I don't care, I never read his stuff

Jimbozig posted:

But you seem to bristle at the idea of these men facing social opprobrium for bad behaviour.

No, I still don't care, I have no investment in the lives or careers of these strangers that I am unengaged with.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Guys look at me, look at how much I don't care

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I mean bedlamdan's only going to be off probation for a few hours at most, it's not like you have to coax a damning post out of him.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Are you people seriously upset over the fact that I don't want to defend him?

Jesus Christ.

Well, see you next month.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
No, it's because your idea of a funny joke is being an rear end in a top hat and your head's so far up your own rear end in a top hat that you can't spot that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

Are you people seriously upset over the fact that I don't want to defend him?

Jesus Christ.

Well, see you next month.

Just stop posting and this won't ever be an issue.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Plutonis posted:

Worst english language author since David Foster Wallace passed the torch

You're not BravestOfTheLamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You're not BravestOfTheLamps.