Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sade posted:

Shield Bash lets you interrupt problematic dungeon mobs (assuming there's no WHM) with huge AOEs like the sandworms in the Burn, letting you and the melee keep uptime higher. It's also essential in higher PotD/HoH floors.

That's what low blow is for.

Anything more than that, gently caress it everyone can just move out of the god drat way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dunno, as a former BLM main, moving out of the way is overrated.

Like it feels pretty good as a tank to save everyone the trouble, but between the GCD and my reaction time, it usually feels safer to just move out.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It makes sense to interrupt in some situations, like the big radial aoe from the sandworms in The Burn, or the obnoxious polymorph from the trees in Arboretum Hard.. Only issue I've observed is that most folks don't expect it, so the benefits tend to be minimal.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Renegret posted:

That's what low blow is for.

Anything more than that, gently caress it everyone can just move out of the god drat way.

Low Blow can be on cooldown.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Nope. Paladin has the most buttons because it's the worst designed.

Really? I struggled to fill up my crossbars after getting PLD to 70. I only managed to fill them after they allowed 10 role actions.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Oxyclean posted:

Dunno, as a former BLM main, moving out of the way is overrated.

As a current and forever BLM main, that's your healer's problem, not the tank.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Saint Freak posted:

Low Blow can be on cooldown.

And my plates could be spinning so I can't use the lovely on-GCD interrupt in time.

Which is 100% of the time, because Always Be Cpressingbuttons

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yea idk i run poo poo like The Burn all the time on DRK and WAR and even without using Low Blow at all i get through without any issues

i'm not gonna waste a GCD on an interrupt

PLD has too many buttons and yet none of them feel like they actually do anything interesting

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Really? I struggled to fill up my crossbars after getting PLD to 70. I only managed to fill them after they allowed 10 role actions.

They have 5 more buttons than WAR and 3 more than DRK.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Just let BLMs wear plate, it's not like we're planning on moving anyway.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

So I started the Rabanastre chain, and it's neat how it plays a bunch of FFT music tracks. How hard is that raid compared with the ARR 24-man raid (which was basically trivial as long as enough people knew a few mechanics)? I still haven't done the 24-man for Heavensward (which I didn't know existed until like yesterday).

Scholar is what I'm going to want to do 70 content with. What do you mean by "do maps," is that referring to treasure hunts (something which I've somehow never done)? Either way, that'd be great.

People mentioned there not being many money sinks in this game, but the big reason I want to avoid spending too much money is so that I can level up crafting easily.

Following up on this: I’ll make you a full set tonight.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I can post my DRK setup tonight, I've got it on two crossbars comfortably.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

so i'm doing the anima weapon quest for the first time since the hyperconductive nothung is super cool. just got it, but would love to get a replica so i can stick it in my glamour dresser and not have to glam my weapon every time i want to use it.

assuming i just want to blast through the quest A Dream Fulfilled as fast as possible and not give a poo poo about any of this stat stuff, what's the best way to go about it? don't really have a full grasp on exactly what i need

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Kaubocks posted:

so i'm doing the anima weapon quest for the first time since the hyperconductive nothung is super cool. just got it, but would love to get a replica so i can stick it in my glamour dresser and not have to glam my weapon every time i want to use it.

assuming i just want to blast through the quest A Dream Fulfilled as fast as possible and not give a poo poo about any of this stat stuff, what's the best way to go about it? don't really have a full grasp on exactly what i need

It's not quick but the 'easy' way I do that step is just buying Superior Enchanted Inks and Thavnairian Mists with poetics to melt into sands

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
If you have any crafters or gathers you can turn your red script into blue Rowena tokens for sand. I have tons just sitting in the bank in case I do the axe now that I finished up the DK sword. I am just always torn between WAR and DRK. When it comes to dealing with tank busters I love having The Darkest Night whenever I need it compared to Inner Beast but all those Fell Cleaves...

Spuzzz fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 3, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kaubocks posted:

For umbrites, do any of your roulettes that give poetics and spam story trials that give poetics like shiva/titan/thordan. Nine out of ten times you'll get a newbie bonus in those. Crystal sands are a bit weirder. The easy way is to pick up the dance, magic dance leve in ishgard, start it, then look around for any chests. If there are, grab it for an amber thing you can turn into sands, then cancel the leve and retry it. Repeat until out of leve allowances. Never actually complete the leve. The other easy option is what Spuzz said.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Playing WAR has made me never want to play DRK and I do not feel like I'm missing out on this decision.

Apparently the class story missions are good though? I kind of liked the WAR story missions because the main dude you gently caress around with is named Curious Gorge which rules.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The ultimate DRK experience is only leveling it up via PVP (where you are an untouchable killing machine) and doing the really good story quests.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eh. I don't know if it's the same animations for every race but gently caress does DRK look goofy as poo poo.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

jokes posted:

Eh. I don't know if it's the same animations for every race but gently caress does DRK look goofy as poo poo.

Attack animations are the same no matter what race or gender you have. The emotes and idle animations are different. Notably for DRK, boys hold their sword over their shoulder like Cloud from FFVII when they're idle with their weapon drawn, while girls plant their blade in the ground like a cool person would.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Buttons to take off your PLD bars:

Shield bash

On the GCD, have not needed the on GCD stun in years, fiddly against dungeon mobs and doesn’t work on bosses.

If you aren’t raiding:

Tempered will

Not terribly useful in dungeons. Loved for the ability to skip certain raid mechanics, and if you wanna feel fancy you can dodge some dungeon boss mechanics... but it’s far from required

Cover

Again, great in raids, kinda limited in dungeons, and fiddly since you have to target the ally anyway. If this saves a dungeon fight or hard mode, you had bigger problems.

Intervention

Kinda in the same boat as cover, just a lot more available and easy to use. Something to use oath gauge on if you’re not MT, but if this was the difference between life and death for a hard mode... you have bigger problems.

Clemency

I’m gonna get heat for this, and it can certainly carry a bad healer or prevent a wipe... but it’s something you shouldn’t need. Drop it if you plan on never trying.

Shirk

Great for keeping MT threat even if there’s no tank swaps, but it’s just a politeness thing.

Anticipation

Not a great CD, generally saved by its 60s cooldown but its not gonna save your life in a big pull. Equal to about 5% mitigation versus physical attacks, more subject to RNG the less attacks hit you during its duration.

Everything else helps with doing damage, getting enmity, and of global defensives. Those are the buttons mostly helpful in edge cases, so they’re the ones you can probably forgo if you’re not doing savage or EX.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Alternative suggestion: only put shield oath, shield lob, and flash on your bars.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, why the heck is Shield Bash on GCD?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

are there PLD buttons other than flash, circle of scorn and total eclipse?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I guess it'd be mechanically identical to low blow if it were ogcd, but I wish it didn't break combos. There's still times where it's more important that you shield bash than finish your combo though.

Sade fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 3, 2018

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
It's obviously a niche use, but Shield Bash is unbelievable in the scary floors of PotD and HoH. Being able to chain stun something for ten straight seconds has saved my group from oopsies too many times.

Also if you interrupt big fuckoff aoes in dungeons, you're a Good Tank and I appreciate you letting me continue to cast.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shield bash is very good and useful. You don't have to dance anymore (unless there's a WHM in your group) because the moment a monster's aoe indicator pops up just shove your shield in their snout.

Clemency is also useful because healers generally do more damage than PLDs so on big pulls you can just use clemency so that the healer can span holy/grav?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

M.c.P posted:

Clemency

I’m gonna get heat for this, and it can certainly carry a bad healer or prevent a wipe... but it’s something you shouldn’t need. Drop it if you plan on never trying.

Conversely, spam Clemency as an additional cooldown when doing big pulls so the healer can spam aoe attacks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because Holy saw it muscling in on it's turf and decided to stun it first.

(The real answer is because an on-demand no-cd no-casttime stun is one of those things that the Dev's have probably decided is 'too powerful')

M.c.P posted:

Shield bash

On the GCD, have not needed the on GCD stun in years, fiddly against dungeon mobs and doesn’t work on bosses.

Tempered will

Not terribly useful in dungeons. Loved for the ability to skip certain raid mechanics, and if you wanna feel fancy you can dodge some dungeon boss mechanics... but it’s far from required

Cover

Again, great in raids, kinda limited in dungeons, and fiddly since you have to target the ally anyway. If this saves a dungeon fight or hard mode, you had bigger problems.

Clemency

I agree with the stuff not included in this post but uh, not the ones quoted here. Mostly because I'm a 'set up my bars once for everything I intend to do and then never change them until I am required to change them' kinda dude.

Shield Bash: Back in the eve of HW when I ran Sohm Al Hard a hundred or so times for light, I got a lot of use out of shield bash to stop worms from doing their arsehole Temblors to kill them quicker. I didn't always do it because sometimes my DF group didn't need it but I definitely did use Shield Bash the majority of my runs through there.

Tempered Will: Powerful enough to be worth learning to use. And you can't learn to use it if you never use it at all.

Cover: Same thing as Tempered Will only nowhere near as powerful. You honestly could drop this because of the sentiment expressed above, but uh 'if this saves a dungeon/hard mode you had bigger problems' is what the PLD's niche toolkit excels at.

Clemency: It's one of the most useful party support things the PLD can do and including the above quote, it can also allow you to solo bosses. While wiping and trying again is probably a faster way of clearing the content, everyone else should probably have thought of that before they died to a boss easy enough for a PLD to solo with clemency use :v:
(also sub 10% wipes turning into clears because the PLD just wouldn't die are great.)
Edit: also clemency has synergy with Divine Veil by allowing you to pop your own veils instead of the healer doing it.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 3, 2018

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Yeah in an aoe situation with a lot of targets, a healer's holy/gravity/mias2 is worth a lot more potency than your total eclipse. Ideally you should be doing both at once, but if a pull goes long for some reason, I'd rather spend a gcd on clemency than have my healer spend one on a cure2.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I've had some heroic last-minute near wipes on O12 where the other tank and I just buckle down and pass Clemencies back and forth. I think we chewed through like 12% of the remaining boss on our own.

It's goofy as hell, but fun.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

EponymousMrYar posted:

(also sub 10% wipes turning into clears because the PLD just wouldn't die are great.)

Back in 4.1 I soloed Kelpie from 40% to bring shame on the healer and dps who could not stop dropping orbs on each other.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I solved my "PLD has too many buttons" problem.

I'm going to give up and not bother playing it, just like what I do with the rest of my problems.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sade posted:

Back in 4.1 I soloed Kelpie from 40% to bring shame on the healer and dps who could not stop dropping orbs on each other.

As a PLD it is your responsibility to extend a wipe as long as possible so the healer/dps can think on their sins.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Renegret posted:

I solved my "PLD has too many buttons" problem.

I'm going to give up and not bother playing it, just like what I do with the rest of my problems.
:hmmyes:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nobody wants to do maps on Siren and it is killing me. I need to get off this fuckin' server.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I didn't have problems with my PLD buttons on gamepad once I banished stances and rarely used stuff like Shirk, Ultimatum and Shield Bash to my double-tap bars, and I try to use all the role actions. I kind of wish our combos fit in 5 buttons instead of 6, though, because I like keeping them on the face buttons to be able to use them while moving. I had to toss the aggro combo Rage of Halone on the left bars. :argh: I can paste my setup, though I guess you no longer need it. :v:

One thing that helped me take advantage of all PLD's skills was setting up macros to cast Cover and Intervention on the focus target. If I'm in a dungeon, I'll focus target the healer and Cover them in necessary, if I'm OT, I'll focus target the main tank and just press the button when I see a tankbuster coming.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if role-play battles will eventually extend to Job Quests.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The only action I don't have on my bar as PLD is that silence. Just stun instead.

Aithon posted:

I didn't have problems with my PLD buttons on gamepad once I banished stances and rarely used stuff like Shirk, Ultimatum and Shield Bash to my double-tap bars, and I try to use all the role actions. I kind of wish our combos fit in 5 buttons instead of 6, though, because I like keeping them on the face buttons to be able to use them while moving. I had to toss the aggro combo Rage of Halone on the left bars. :argh: I can paste my setup, though I guess you no longer need it. :v:

One thing that helped me take advantage of all PLD's skills was setting up macros to cast Cover and Intervention on the focus target. If I'm in a dungeon, I'll focus target the healer and Cover them in necessary, if I'm OT, I'll focus target the main tank and just press the button when I see a tankbuster coming.

You can also just make it target <2> since that will always be the other tank in a raid and the healer in a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note that if someone drops and a new person comes in the order might get shuffled around. It's a rare enough case that it probably won't matter in practice though.