Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I'm a member of the Discord channel and we do showings every Monday starting with the previous episode leading in to the new one at around 11:30est via Rabbit for those interested.

In other news, the Light Novels have now sold 7 million copies as per a Twitter announcement I received. The following video from eight months ago announcing the anime puts those numbers into context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojDfl4Agam8

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

im glad our wholesome slime is popular

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

wholesome or wholeslime

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oh Snapple! posted:

im glad our wholesome slime is popular

As am I. All that's left now is numbers from DVD/Bluray and merchandise to see how things play out as far as another season happening.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The ending theme is incredibly catchy btw.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I really like both themes, honestly. Though the OP is probably mostly due to how well animated it is, Rimuru in particular.

In general I've really appreciated the quality of the animation this has, the fights in particular. I'm looking forward to some of the stuff in the future, hopefully they keep it up.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Doing a group showing here.

https://www.rabb.it/doomrider7

Previous episode followed by new one.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Show good

Not usually a fan of isekai but this one does it well and it's so drat wholesome :kimchi:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Kijin eh? Awesome. I wonder if these Lizardmen will beat the ones from Overlord.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Preferred theunevolved ogres look but show good who cares

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

Doing a group showing here.

https://www.rabb.it/doomrider7

Previous episode followed by new one.
Damnit I was asleep.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Preferred theunevolved ogres look but show good who cares

I prefer their evolved appearance, but it doesn't really mesh well with their old unevolved clothes. I'm hoping they get their new threads soonish.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I knew I recognized the named Lizardman's voice! Turns out it is the same person who does the Konosuba protagonist. This show just keeps getting more awesome.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Donnerberg posted:

I knew I recognized the named Lizardman's voice! Turns out it is the same person who does the Konosuba protagonist. This show just keeps getting more awesome.

Yes, I'm Gabil

Alfredo Jones posted:

I prefer their evolved appearance, but it doesn't really mesh well with their old unevolved clothes. I'm hoping they get their new threads soonish.

Shion's the only one who really gets new threads, or at least drastically different ones iirc.

Mostly because the justification for wearing Japanese style clothing that doesnt feature pullover tops...is because their horns would either puncture the shirt or get caught.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 3, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh, boobs.

"I came, I saw, I named....then I came again." - Rimuru at some point, probably.

Now make the Lizards and Orcs alike tremble!

Old Kijin has the voice of Jiraiya. :discourse:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 3, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good ogres, cute ogres, look at all these new friends. Hakurou's my favorite I think.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I love all the little touches the animators added like Shion's drunk dancing or Ranga trying to lick Rimuru clean mid conversation.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the lizardmens' lizard horses are cute

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

i knew shion was going to be my fav character from the ED

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Gabitrash

I agree their pre-evolved states had a bit more flash/interesting originality, though if I recall that form is also wildly different to the manga ones so presumably the studio just couldn't resist putting their own spin on the ogres.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wow, the new designs are such a downgrade.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lot of good new friends this arc

Donnerberg posted:

I knew I recognized the named Lizardman's voice! Turns out it is the same person who does the Konosuba protagonist.
This is perfect casting.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I haven't watched the anime, but I've gone through all the manga up to the current chapter. Can a fan explain to me, or point me in the direction of why everyone is raving about this show? I like it, but it's very light. It feels like children playing a game and making up rules/cool things that can happen in the game. Which is fun, not knocking it, but I don't get how it got to be so popular, so I want to figure out what I'm missing.

Also the manga has convinced me that if I just kept writing my mary-sue Ogre Battle fan fiction from when I was a teenager I could eventually have spread out into the Japanese LN market and had a modicum of success.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Donkringel posted:

I haven't watched the anime

There's your problem

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Donkringel posted:

I like it, but it's very light.

This is probably the most significant part of it. It's light, it's fluffy and it's mixed with a bit of heavy/dark stuff and surrounded with some solid details (the city building stuff.)

It's the smores bar of anime at the moment. And everyone loves smores.

slmores.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I’d think if you gave me this or something like konosuba in manga or LN form I’d have a hell of a harder time consuming it than in anime form.

When so much of the show is just people talking, having good voice actors emoting well makes an otherwise passing scene pretty good.

For instance he very first seen, had I read a LN or watched a manga that rushed by it I would have taken it for a standard isekai transition. The anime on the other hand, with a dying man listing his grievances and the machinelike goddess listening in and granting him his wishes for the next life is probably my favorite.

I don’t know how well Id like something like a tsundere storm dragon if I’d just read about it. Hearing the dude shout for everything including those common tropes was pretty funny to me. There’s absolutely no way to show how much of a good boy Ranga is if you aren’t constantly reminded that he acts like a dog at all times when near Rimiru, so you spend an lot of time describing fluff or drawing panels or you show like 10 seconds of background animation that comes off as completely natural.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 4, 2018

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Okay got it, so it's not exciting on paper, but when it's brought to life the actors and the people really sell it. Ok! Thanks everyone. I'll need to watch the anime then as well.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

hope princess ogre just hasn't had time to get the dope bloody eye tattoo done for her new body.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Donkringel posted:

Okay got it, so it's not exciting on paper, but when it's brought to life the actors and the people really sell it. Ok! Thanks everyone. I'll need to watch the anime then as well.

It's not exciting, it's comfy. This is not an exciting show.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

All Rimuru really wants to do is chill out with his monster friends, but rear end in a top hat villains keep showing up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clarste posted:

It's not exciting, it's comfy. This is not an exciting show.
yet

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Clarste posted:

Wow, the new designs are such a downgrade.

Rimiru has odd opinions on what counts as "hotter".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dzhay posted:

Rimiru has odd opinions on what counts as "hotter".

Fire doesn't affect him and he has no junk. His measure of hotness is out of whack and he has no way to re-calibrate that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Longer ponytail = more hotter

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Conot posted:

Gabitrash

I agree their pre-evolved states had a bit more flash/interesting originality, though if I recall that form is also wildly different to the manga ones so presumably the studio just couldn't resist putting their own spin on the ogres.

Yeah due to lack of color, the pre evolution forms just like more wild or buffier versions. I don't recall the skin tones so that's all the anime studio.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

kater posted:

hope princess ogre just hasn't had time to get the dope bloody eye tattoo done for her new body.

it didn't hit me until you said this just how rad the bloody eye thing is on a character like that where she's not supposed to be edgy at all

i love this show but really genuinely mourn these redesigns

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Good ogres, cute ogres, look at all these new friends. Hakurou's my favorite I think.

Hakurou's real good. (They're all real good, eventually.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I choose to believe the naming evolution thing, from goblins through wolves through orc lord and ogres, is all just to set up the punchline of the one evolved ogre just looking like a scruffy middle aged guy.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

I choose to believe the naming evolution thing, from goblins through wolves through orc lord and ogres, is all just to set up the punchline of the one evolved ogre just looking like a scruffy middle aged guy.

That's exactly how the joke played in the manga. Kurobee looks no different in the before or after. As an aside, they'll explain some things about the evolutions WAAAAY later on. In the mean time, here's a link to the series Reddit with a post about how the series came to be animated.

A link

Basically guy from Bandai Namco loves the series and wants to make anime of it and goes to Kodansha who gives the ok. The he goes to studio 8bit and the guys there he meets love it and agree that an anime needs to happen. They get go ahead and even involvements from the author Fuse, the character designer and LN artist Mitz Vah(guys Pixiv art is great by the way), and the anime artist Taiki Kawakami. What I love about this whole thing is that it's clear that EVERYONE involved LOVES the series and is invested in doing the best adaption possible and takes from both the LN and Manga to distill the best possible animated version.

Edit: Ok he has another post about how much money the series is making and it may as well be printing money if the numbers are half true.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The manga version of the Shuna change: