Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Stan Taylor posted:

Looking for a second opinion on some games before I grab em.

Suburbia is one I've been looking at for a bit, love the theme, always wanted a SimCity style tabletop game, though from what I gather it doesn't really scratch that itch exactly. My concern is I think it'll feel similar to Castles of Burgundy, a game I have and love, but I like to keep games in my collection from overlapping or feeling too samey.

Mysterium got a glowing review from SUSD and my SO said it looked neat, BUT it looks really similar to Dixit but longer and only one person gets to give clues and also they don't get to talk for like an hour or however long the game is. Basically the individual pieces of it don't really seem that great to me, but maybe it meshes in a way that really work, I dunno.

Also I'm probably going to get roborally because it's on sale. :v:

If you don't like Dixit then Mysterium will probably not be any more fun. If you like Dixit but have one person who wishes they could be the active player every single round, get Mysterium. My first experience with the game was a little boring and negative because there was a lot of downtime--all the action is filtered through the ghost player so they are constantly engaged with concocting clues, but the other half dozen players around the table are just sitting and waiting with nothing to go on. This gets better as the players are more comfortable with the game and can create clues faster.

Roborally is fun and you should get it. My tip: don't overextend yourself and create too long a track on your first game. A couple flags spread across two boards is plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I've only played Suburbia through the app, but I really enjoyed playing through its solo campaign. It doesn't feel like SimCity really. You're managing zoning and trying to make tiles fit together nicely to maximize score. It's a little more puzzly than Burgundy in that regard; Burgundy is more about the tactical order of getting tile effects than tile placement.

I like Mysterium a lot more than Dixit, because I like co-op and deduction games more than I like party games and bluffing. Being the clue giver and getting to hear people confer over the rationales of the clues you're giving out is really enjoyable. I don't know if it's in the rules that the ghost can't speak at all during the game time, but I've never played it while literally never speaking between rounds. That seems like overkill to me unless you're really into making people play out party game conditions.

RoboRally third edition is cheap as hell even when it's not on sale. I like that they got rid of having to count down numbers every turn to figure out turn order, but the components are even shittier than second edition. It seems like sleeving the cards is a necessity since they're paper-thin.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Stan Taylor posted:

Looking for a second opinion on some games before I grab em.

Suburbia is one I've been looking at for a bit, love the theme, always wanted a SimCity style tabletop game, though from what I gather it doesn't really scratch that itch exactly. My concern is I think it'll feel similar to Castles of Burgundy, a game I have and love, but I like to keep games in my collection from overlapping or feeling too samey.

Mysterium got a glowing review from SUSD and my SO said it looked neat, BUT it looks really similar to Dixit but longer and only one person gets to give clues and also they don't get to talk for like an hour or however long the game is. Basically the individual pieces of it don't really seem that great to me, but maybe it meshes in a way that really work, I dunno.

I love Suburbia but if you don't like fiddly point-salad games stay away. That said, the way your cities build up is super lovely and similar to Castles of Mad King you get this great sense of fun from looking at how you and your opponents ended up making your little towns. We've got both expansions too which depending on your tolerance for the game are either perfectly fine or overkill. Subdivision is way closer to Castles of Burgandy in my opinion. Welcome to Centerville is a better middle-ground between the two.

And if you felt really crazy try Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig. I played it two-player last night and we fell in love with it. It captures the wackiness of the insane structures you're building but streamlines the point-salady nature of the base game. As far as I can tell all the room tiles are completely unique too with regard to their names/artwork. The end-game scoring is slightly cumbersome but still very very smooth. Definitely something I see us playing a lot in the future.

Mysterium is a lot of fun but basically a complicated version of Dixit. Maybe try before you buy if you're on the fence? I like it but don't want to own it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Mysterium chat: One thing that we've found is that non-boardgamer types, or, people who aren't so hot on being creative, often don't like Dixit. It seems like something you'd just 'get', but a lot of people I've played it with, I was surprised, just didn't really ever fully understand how to play, or, how to be comfortable doing it. I guess it's kind of once removed from anything you'd normally do. Anyway, those kinds of peeps totally gelled with Mysterium, because it doesn't have that extra layer of being vague as well as accurate. It's just hard to be accurate. As someone who's decent at Dixit, I thought it was a much better game, just because, everyone gets a go, but, turns out a lot of people really hate having a go, but quite enjoy other people's go's, and Mysterium is the game for them.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is Whistle Stop a bad game? Miniature Market had a pile of them on sale at like 80% off.

It’s a very pedestrian game. There’s nothing wrong with it but I’d never ask to play it again.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

What Impermanent said. There’s an expansion, you might want to look at that to see if it improves things.

Nah the box is too big for me to take a flyer on a mediocre game. I might pick up Werewords from Amazon today, that sounds like a fun twist on 20 Q's.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Papes posted:

It’s a very pedestrian game.

It's a very train game. You might be playing it wrong.

Re: Mysterium - it's one of my go to games for light gamers and newbies. Nobody ever has trouble understanding it and it has an easy theme to get into. There should also be no downtime as once you've made your guess for the round you should be examining other players' guesses for your clairvoyance and offering assistance if you can. Only the Ghost has to sit out, and he gets the subgame of trying not to roll his eyes too hard when people guess wrong.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Amazon board game deals today: https://www.amazon.com/s/browse/ref...N5PNQVZJ6DQTZZ0

Has some good ones on there, not just shoveled crap from the previous sales.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

the subgame of trying not to roll his eyes too hard when people guess wrong.

OooOOoOoooOooOOO *doesn't gives anyone succeed cards, everyone looks crestfallen*

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

OooOOoOoooOooOOO *doesn't gives anyone succeed cards, everyone looks crestfallen*

My version doesn't have succeed cards, players ask the Ghost if they're right and he knocks once for yes and twice for no. Is that from the Polish original?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My ghost just sighs at me and then questions everything about our relationship.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

My version doesn't have succeed cards, players ask the Ghost if they're right and he knocks once for yes and twice for no. Is that from the Polish original?

The new one has the ghost giving out the cards associated with the correct guess, the american I don't know what version.

PRADA SLUT posted:

My ghost just sighs at me and then questions everything about our relationship.

The true master can do this but only through OooOOOoOO's.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

I think RoboRally is Actually Pretty Bad and you should only get it if you have played it before and like it. Long tracks are especially awful and shouldn't even be in the game. It's very easy for a player to be effectively sidelined very early and unable to even play spoiler.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
CSI is now charging sales tax for at least some out of state purchases. WA for sure. Haven't tried them from CA yet.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Mysterium is fine: mostly people I've tried it with have enjoyed it as a novelty, but I don't remember anyone really loving it. It can really suck, too, if the person giving clues isn't playing well. It's kind of like Concept, that way. And, again like Concept, I can't imagine playing it more than a few times with the same people. It's a perfect game to play once at a board game cafe.

Roborally is really tedious, and I'd skip it. Colt Express hits all the same good notes without the cruft, and with much more entertaining interaction... and I'm not a big fan of Colt Express.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AP saves me a lot of money during board game sales. That and remembering I have most of Gloomhaven sitting unplayed in a closet. :( I've been waiting for Mansions of Madness to go on sale, but now that it is at CSI I can't help thinking that buying an expensive game with 4 scenarios seems kind of dumb when I could play like 50 more in the game I already have.

Does anyone have any strong opinions about Above and Below vs Near and Far? I watched a video where the main criticism of Near and Far was that it's too easy to avoid the story parts, especially with a low player count, so I was wondering if anyone has opinions about that specifically since I like the idea of the storygame elements.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 3, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sinteres posted:

That and remembering I have most of Gloomhaven sitting unplayed in a closet.
Do you happen to live in Chicago?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Space Alert is probably the best Roborally

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Do you happen to live in Chicago?

Only 1200 miles away!

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions about Above and Below vs Near and Far? I watched a video where the main criticism of Near and Far was that it's too easy to avoid the story parts, especially with a low player count, so I was wondering if anyone has opinions about that specifically since I like the idea of the storygame elements.

People are going to get the idea that I hate all games (and that's only mostly true), but I really didn't go for Above and Below. It's a very straightforward worker game with Story Bits as its only real attraction, and they don't really help.

Would you enjoy a stripped down Genericola, where there's an "explore" action that might lose you food, or build a fence, or change a cow into a stove? Would that somehow be better if you first got to read a paragraph (that sounded like it was sourced off Fiver) about how you encountered a humming tree under a turtle village? Did you decide to open its jar of rainbow curd? Oh look, now you're back in the regular game, but you're losing. Or winning. And we'll never hear about trees or curd or turtles again - and the choice was random, so we might as well have just rolled a dice. Great!

Neither the game nor the story bits are good, and they're both made worse by being next to each other.

I wish instead of 500 unrelated story bits, these games (things like this, Betrayal Legacy, 7th Continent) would have 20 actual stories each with 25 parts. Then have the players do somewhat consistent/non-insane things - using the mechanics of the game, preferably - to explore/progress the story and try to reach good story outcomes.

Pandemic Legacy Season II only had a couple pages of written story to last 15 hours of game - but that was enough for a fairly compelling narrative because the story didn't stop between the blobs of text. You were doing the story as you played. I thought Legends of Andor was a turd overall, but it did get this part mostly right. My group really likes some narrative to games, but most of these games with stories seem to have the least effective narratives.

VVV: That's interesting, I'd just sort of written Android off without really even knowing what it was. I'll have to pop it open next time I'm at a cafe, and see how it ticks.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 3, 2018

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

jmzero posted:

I wish instead of 500 unrelated story bits, these games (things like this, Betrayal Legacy, 7th Continent) would have 20 actual stories each with 25 parts. Then have the players do somewhat consistent/non-insane things - using the mechanics of the game, preferably - to explore/progress the story and try to reach good story outcomes.

Can I interest you in Android?

Utter mess of a game logistically, with several weird minigames and a movement mechanic that involves measuring the board with calipers. But its flavor is beautiful and does exactly what you described: split up pre-written stories across multiple cards that the players encounter as they try to steer their personal plot arcs toward good endings.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions about Above and Below vs Near and Far?

my strong opinions about Ryan Laukat is that he's an amazing artist, but a terribly boring game designer. Every single game of his has pulled me in with its gorgeous visuals and been ultimately not worth playing, much less keeping, with the existence of so many other great games.

EDIT: also, CSI doesn't appear to be charging CA sales tax. Yet.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

jmzero posted:

People are going to get the idea that I hate all games (and that's only mostly true), but I really didn't go for Above and Below. It's a very straightforward worker game with Story Bits as its only real attraction, and they don't really help.

Would you enjoy a stripped down Genericola, where there's an "explore" action that might lose you food, or build a fence, or change a cow into a stove? Would that somehow be better if you first got to read a paragraph (that sounded like it was sourced off Fiver) about how you encountered a humming tree under a turtle village? Did you decide to open its jar of rainbow curd? Oh look, now you're back in the regular game, but you're losing. Or winning. And we'll never hear about trees or curd or turtles again - and the choice was random, so we might as well have just rolled a dice. Great!

Neither the game nor the story bits are good, and they're both made worse by being next to each other.

This seems like a fair criticism, but the stripped down Gricola thing was actually something I thought might be a bonus if I want to play with people who aren't really hobbyists--I was kind of looking at it as a light/approachable/"fun" game I could talk people into playing. If the story integration sucks though, that's a big negative mark against.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I really like Islebound. It's a bright and cute pick-up-and-deliver with a bit of aggression baked in.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mayveena posted:

CSI is now charging sales tax for at least some out of state purchases. WA for sure.

oh good

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Anyone happen to be going to Geekway Mini in January? It'd be awesome to do a mini goon meetup.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

CSI is now charging sales tax for at least some out of state purchases. WA for sure. Haven't tried them from CA yet.

This is a state thing, not a CSI. WA and a lot of other states passed some stuff requiring it this year and CSI is seemingly the first of the major online retailers on board according to reddit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BTW, updated goon BGG rankings since Summer

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PAX Unplugged rundown

We were all pleasantly surprised at PAX Unplugged last year but had major concerns that the convention couldn't grow to match the demand. We were wrong. Despite some security annoyances (which is no fault of PAX itself), PAX Unplugged has completely supplanted Origins as my favorite "chill and play boardgames with randos" convention. So much so that I'm canceling Origins next year. I love you Origins but PAX crowdsources all the newest (and sometimes unreleased) titles from Essen and that's all we did the whole con: sit in the first look area and play new games.

Unfortunately this year has unlocked my "crotchety old man" phase. Each game I played was completely iterative of the last and while I'm fine with that (I do play wargames after all, a genre chasing its own tail for 50 years) the iterations felt less and less substantial. I'm tired of hopping around Europe collecting whatsits to unlock gizmos to spin wheely bobs to score a smidgen more points. 2018 has been the year of roll-and-writes for me, a genre I scoffed at years ago but whatever Jungian collective unconscious nonsense triggered everyone to roll these out at the same time I have yet to play a bad one.

So some personal discoveries

-I suddenly hate efficiency Euros, toss them in the garbage
-I want more games to have weird victory or endgame conditions
-I want more games to evaluate victory beyond just scoring points
-I want more games to be simultaneous or at least offer choices when it's not directly your turn
-I love roll and writes
-Knizia's still got it
-Please please please hire technical writers to go over your manuals
-Your game is ugly and impossible to read

Ceylon: Light-medium game with a pseudo action-drafting mechanism. On your turn you play a card and choose one of two actions: every other player takes the action you didn't take. Players grow plots of land on different elevations and harvest tea from them, higher elevations yielding better tea. You always harvest adjacent plots regardless of ownership, but there's some area majority scoring where having the most plots of land in a region gives you bonus points but only if you bribed the official in that region. Tea fulfills contracts to score points and a tech track allows bonus actions while acting as a clean tiebreaker.

While this game is too light for my tastes, it may be the overall strongest game I played all weekend. The action selection keeps everything moving at a blazing pace while forcing you to be aware of your opponent's board state or else you feed them free actions. Requiring players to pay off the officials before they can even be qualified to score area majority results in a greater breadth of decisions than simply rewarding who built the most and earliest. Making the tie breaker a part of the gameplay creates an opportunity that doesn't seem like much on first inspection but in an area majority game it leads to just as much competition as the map. Ceylon is kind of a rarity in that it feels like a lost 90s Euro in that it's clean, lightweight but substantial, and a rapid-fire pacing can take 4 players through in 45-60 minutes.

Majolica: With Azul's success there's bound to be copycats and this Azul adjacent game feels too clever by half. I crassly describe it as running a textile sweatshop: you clear rows and columns of colored tiles from the main board to fill your workshops. When you meet a workshop's criteria, usually multiple sets of like-colored tiles, it begins to fill up scoring cards before pumping out the unused tile to the next workshop. Ideally you want to chain these operations so that in a single turn multiple workshops operate in tandem.

I enjoy Azul because despite being an abstract puzzle it's actually quite competitive. An penalizing scoring system encourages careful planning in what tiles you draw so as to avoid eating a lot of negative points. I can look at an opponent's board, know exactly what tiles they need, and make a decision knowing pretty accurately what they will and will not take. Majolica is practically a solitaire puzzle: you can usually tell what someone is building towards but with no negative scoring there's little reason to even look at another player's position. It's too random to be a satisfying puzzle yet too static to be a satisfying competitive game.

Newton: This was the game that nearly broke me. From the team of designers that brought The Voyages of Marco Polo, one of my top favorite games, Newton has to be the blandest of their oeuvre. You've got two separate tracks for globetrotting and a tech tree, neither really offering anything game-changingly exciting except you can't go backwards on one and the other costs exorbitant amounts of money to move around. The action system is not dissimilar from Mombasa: you play cards in a tableau, each one chaining off the others if they're a similar action. So if you play a movement action you'll move 1 space, but if you play another one in the same round you'll move 2 spaces. At the end of a round your tableau refreshes, you slot a card under your board, and now you have a permanent boost to future actions.

Where Newton fails is in how thoroughly unexciting it is. Marco Polo can be quite tight and with its rules breaking characters players have to find areas to specialize where their opponents can't break in. Lorenzo il Magnifico is a bit friendlier with everyone operating off the same bonuses, but everyone has a great influence on the board where all the action takes place. Newton has none of that interaction: nothing you do influences your opponents aside from what bonus tile you took and exclusive end-of-game scoring. The other players may as well not exist. Much like math, Newton is all about procedure and "showing your work" minus any of the cool discoveries these historic mathematicians actually made.

As an aside, this is a hideous game made up of various shades of browns and sepia tones. Icons are tiny and blend into the board which is no good in a game where you're squinting to see which bonuses are on which of the three separate tracks.

Gugong: This was the game that actually broke me. Gugong, designed by Andreas Steding of Hansa Teutonica fame, initially felt like a farce. Here's an action selection game, made up of 7 or so distinct spaces, all of which exist as an exercise in being the most efficient to operate other action spaces. To activate these spaces you play cards number 1-9 by replacing a card that's already there: if your card is higher than the one on the board, and a 1 wraps around to be higher than a 9 (someone with knowledge of Chinese Imperial etiquette please explain how fruit is a better gift than a gold statue), you take that action otherwise you must pay a fee or just do nothing. Interestingly you cannot win if you don't complete one of the tracks, a task that isn't really difficult but I love it when board games require to specialize in their theme (more on this in Teotihuacan).

I came down real hard on this game. Multiple people walked by asking for an opinion because they loved Hansa Teutonica and I gave some real angry rants that probably sounded like a 10-year-old kicking and screaming after dying at Mario. In a game with 7 big actions, more than half are boring. Stop me if you've heard this before: move on a map to grab bonus tokens, buy an expensive resource which gives you exponentially more points at the end of the game, move up a ladder that gives you bonus points for being the first to the top, unlock a special ability that makes something slightly cheaper or gives you stuff at the end of a round. 3 actions out of 7 were interesting because they actually interacted with other players, my favorite being the intrigue track which acted as both a definitive tie breaker while also giving you a resource to spend out of turn and if you haven't figured out I love doing things out of turn! More games should let me do things out of turn!!!

I want to give Gugong another chance. After some introspection I do think it has a lot to offer as a medium-weight Euro. It's not fair to compare it so closely to Hansa Teutonica as unlike Marco Polo to Newton, Gugong is a different style of game. Had I played Gugong before Newton I would've came away more positive but this really was the game that broke me.

Treasure Island: A deductive logic game based on the titular story. Long John Silver has hidden his treasure and provides clues for the other pirates to try and discover before their opponents do or Long John breaks out of jail to recover it on his own. On the surface the game is kind of gimmicky where everyone draws on a map and uses various rulers and calipers to hone in on the treasure. What makes it stand out are the options available to both Long John and the other pirates. Long John must provide clues but doesn't necessarily have to be truthful about them and he can hand out specific tokens exclusively to his opponents to unlock vaguer clues. In one instance a player was only a mile (maybe half an inch physically) north and east of the treasure: I handed him a token saying "the treasure is west of your position" which was a factual statement (he was maybe the equivalent of 500 feet east) but it caused him to overcorrect and shoot far west. The winner discovered the treasure by noticing two clues created a circle that intersected at the exact point, a power play straight out of a cop drama.

Unfortunately the learning experience was anything but smooth. While we were graciously taught by an Enforcer, the rules themselves are horrendously laid out and poorly written. The actual step-by-step procedure is scattered around and the nature of being a hidden logic game where you draw on a map can lead to rules fudging that could enrage a certain crowd. There's no question when you catch Mr. X in Scotland Yard unless they're cheating, but in Treasure Island the rules explicitly state that if Long John feels any ambiguity in a player's search they should win. I feel like I have the kind of group that takes these things in good fun but learning this game was an exercise in frustration.

Blackout Hong Kong: From the designer of Great Western Trail and Mombasa, I was looking forward to this game more than others. Great Western Trail is probably in my top 10 favorite games because while it is ostensibly a bloated Euro with various gimmicks attached, it moves at an incredible clip and offers plenty of options that don't feel like pointless filler. Blackout is more like a sequel to Mombasa, a game I didn't quite care for already, but instead of improving the central concepts it takes the core mechanism and attaches even more crap onto it.

You have the same simultaneous turn planning, a board game mechanism I despise because I hate waiting for people to plan their turn and likewise I feel bad when I'm the one holding up the table while everyone sits in silence. Then you execute your actions through multiple steps which in Mombasa resulted in basically 1 of 3 actions but in Blackout there's something like 8 steps taken in procedure player-by-player, turn-by-turn, one step after the other forcing everyone to participate in its card buys and area control shenanigans. The one standout mechanism is where you randomly discard a card to "scout" thereby putting that card in the hospital (discard) which scores you points for treating them, essentially rewarding you for a temporary handicap. Everything else kind of defies the theme in that it's a game about rescue services but is intentionally competitive.

I would dive more into a gameplay explanation but frankly it's tedious. The game's weight doesn't justify its nearly 3 hour playtime. And while the game itself is exhausting, the graphic design is even more unfortunate. I understand the theme about solving crises in Hong Kong after a power outage but the board doesn't have to be black on black. Pandemic is notable for its stark war room blue-on-black stylings which isn't eye popping but provides enough contrast to see what I'm doing. Blackout is seriously greys on black with board icons so tiny you have to constantly push cubes around just to see what space you're standing on.

The big advertising point is that it can be played as a campaign with, I can only assume, permanent changes and effects. Maybe the design is more suited to hand crafted challenges but I can't under any circumstances recommend this to a group that just wants to sit down and play a game.

Teotihuacan: The follow up to Tzolkin and an above average, if unremarkable, game. Here actions are represented by dice that you move around spaces in clockwise fashion, the value and number of dice triggering stronger actions. Moving to a 6 automatically reduces your die to 1, unlocking a special bonus but moving the clock one step closer to a scoring round. I don't find it as rewarding as Tzolkin's clock but the issues some people found with that game's style are rectified here while still rewarding careful planning. Unfortunately there's just not a lot to say here as it's a straightforward point salad Euro. Collect sets of mask for exponential points, match symbols with symbols, gather resources, and research technology to make all those things more efficient. *sigh*

Continuing with my rants on graphical design, while Tzolkin is probably the best looking game I've played its aesthetics do not translate well to play. Furthermore the number of exceptions and small details make the late game an exercise in tedium as you scan the entire board to ensure you didn't miss the several bonuses you're entitled to. Tzolkin by comparison is a meaner game but it runs like (literal) clockwork: even when a tile modifies another it does so in an intuitive way. A technology in Tzolkin could let you receive corn from the harvest action even if it's covered by wood: a technology in Teotihuacan would give you a point on a religion track for building the temple, which gives a religion point just by researching it, which could give you a tile that would chain into another tile that gives a bonus for taking a certain action. And don't forget to increase your die by 1 after doing all that, and remember that the little decorations on the temple have a tiny rear end arrow to remind you which direction they should point!

On Tour: A cute roll-and-write with a very straightforward mechanism: roll 2d10 and fill in two cities with the combinations those numbers make. Three cards determine the region you can write in and a city that if you fill in you can circle. At the end of the game when the entire map is full you draw the longest line through cities in numerical order: 1 point per city, +1 point per circle. Anyone can pick it up, the game plays fast, and while on the surface it feels entirely random the primary strategy involves mitigating risk by dumping undesirable numbers in junk locations.

Where this game fits overall in the genre is hard to say. It's not as involved as Pretty Clever or Welcome To and the high production quality means it'll be more expensive and less disposable than a game where everything is written on a sheet of paper.

Yellow & Yangtze: The follow up to Tigris & Euphrates. On the surface it's less mean than T&E. It's easier to score, a "wild" score lets you bolster points you don't have, pagodas are easier to create than monuments, and the board is overall more volatile and prone to chaos. But digging deeper, Yellow & Yangtze lacks the rigidity of its predecessor but makes up for it in greater conflict. Using hexes instead of squares increases the weak points of any particular state, reducing the number of stronghold states that can accrue in T&E. Blue tiles are improved, allowing you to chain on water in a single action or discarded to remove any tile from the board. Revolts and wars are far more straightforward than T&E with black tiles and red tiles used to denote strength respectively. There's even a market of known tiles that you can "buy" with green tiles, giving you a few more options per turn rather than relying on blind draws.

Yellow & Yangtze makes T&E more approachable without sacrificing depth. It is the rare follow up that unequivocally expands upon its predecessor through a few key changes but very much remains its own thing. I'm not ready to say the game supplants T&E, nor am I ready to say whether or not they can exist in the same collection, but Y&Y stands on its own as both a successor and a drat good board game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 4, 2018

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Great Western Trail not being in the goon Top 50 is a crime.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Still need to get my arms around Blackout, mostly because we played wrong. I thought Newton was the most multi player solitaire game I'd played in probably 10 years and gave my copy away as a door prize at my Essen day. STILL waiting on Gugong.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I can't rate it until i get my gaming group back together!!!!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

I really like the expansion which is finally available at CSI.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

This is a state thing, not a CSI. WA and a lot of other states passed some stuff requiring it this year and CSI is seemingly the first of the major online retailers on board according to reddit.

It's actually a Supreme Court ruling that gets state sales taxes from online businesses that are not in their state. What I don't know is if the state has to request the state taxes or are the online businesses required to collect and send the taxes on their own? CA has not passed any specific legislation on this that I know of and I've been looking.

Frankly I'm very happy about the ruling because hopefully it'll finally let online board game shops in CA compete with the others. CA has never had a decent online board game shop almost certainly because they would be ~10% more expensive for Californians than all the others because they would have to collect sales taxes. CA is the most populous state so it's a serious issue.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Frankly I'm very happy about the ruling because hopefully it'll finally let online board game shops in CA compete with the others. CA has never had a decent online board game shop almost certainly because they would be ~10% more expensive for Californians than all the others because they would have to collect sales taxes. CA is the most populous state so it's a serious issue.

I am looking long and hard at starting a CA-based online board game store

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Rad Valtar posted:

Of the games in the Top 50 I've played (at least 40), I don't see a single one I'd rank below GWT. It's fine, but it's just not that good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

It is barely if you take out the expansions, there was just no way to do it in my geekbuddies tool. It's even higher at 35 if you require 10 votes.

al-azad posted:

PAX Unplugged rundown

Thanks for the write up and interesting position on a lot of games/topics. As for Paxu, I kept hearing people were mad at how early things shut down, and coming from a gencon and dice tower con style that sounds bad, as we like to play till 3-4am. Were there other places you could keep going? I'm considering going next year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That's the fault of the convention center itself which is honestly pretty chintzy as far as facilities go. Like Columbus' halls close at the same time as PAX but there are multiple tables outside of the halls themselves to sit at. This year saw some construction finished that connected multiple hotels to the center (I stayed at the Marriot) which all large tables in open areas to play at.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

al-azad posted:

PAX Unplugged rundown

Glad to hear that Pax U has found its way! I had to skip it this year because of school, but I saw the geeklist of the games that would be demoed and it was seriously impressive.

And thank you for confirming all of my prejudices about this year's big releases. One thing that I will say is that Ceylon is a small Caylus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

It is barely if you take out the expansions, there was just no way to do it in my geekbuddies tool. It's even higher at 35 if you require 10 votes.

How do i see the rankings on BGG?