Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Better off not buying them anything besides a trip to rehab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWQiXv0sn9Y

Even that doesn't seem like a good option. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Gift cards are great. My grandma doesn't know what I want or need because she's 92 and barely holding off senile dementia, so she just shotguns amazon gift cards at me and I buy stuff I want and show it to her, everyone involved is happy with this arrangement.

The gifts that really annoy me are when somebody asks for my amazon wishlist then doesn't use it, which just wastes the time of everyone involved.

e: sometimes she gives me a fred meyer gift card instead, which goes in my van and generally directly into the gas tank. It's great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Drywall work is complete! We're ready to sand the rough spots and start cleaning so we can prime.

I mentioned before that we're going to be transitioning the trim to all white but I have zero experience properly prepping the wood for this, anyone have suggestions or not terrible tutorials? The paint claims that no prep is needed other than cleaning but I'd rather this not look like poo poo when we're finished.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Why the gently caress am I having to run the AC in December?

Because Texas.
Don't worry, it'll drop back into the thirties without warning.

Previa_fun posted:

Acquaintance of mine is posting on Facebook about the local university trying to fill a position. They require a degree and two years of administrative experience for a salary of....

30K. College is a complete loving racket.

It's amazing when a loving *college* acknowledges how worthless a degree actually is.

Suburban Dad posted:

I haven't really done any Christmas shopping. And I don't really want to, either. I don't want anything and don't want people to waste money on useless crap for me but I'm sure it'll happen anyway. Why can't you just tell your family "Let's just not this year?" and it actually happen? Seems everyone has guilt in not buying garbage for people.

I'm all for this. I just like spending a day with family.
That said, my parents decided to get me LASIK for Birthday/Christmas/etc., and I am so very stoked, and very grateful. I've worn glasses since third grade, which was 40 years ago. I've wanted this pretty much since I knew it existed. The left eye was done several weeks ago - implant, rather than LASIK because they found the start of a cataract. Now that's healed enough, I've got the LASIK scheduled on the right eye this week (which already has an cataract implant from 4 years ago.) The only part that sucks is that I can't wear the contact for the right eye this week, so I either have to wear my regular glasses and not be able to see out of the left, or wear reading glasses and still not be able to see out of the right. Either option is giving me a headache.
Thursday cannot come fast enough. Lasers!

nm posted:

Did you import via Australia? That's a known problem.

Dammit, beat me to it.

slidebite posted:

LOL

I used to actually be anti giftcard (although maybe not quite as rabid) as I thought they reeked of pure laziness, but I've mellowed a lot. As I've become older I know that I've become impossible to buy for so I typically get gift cards and I'm appreciative of it for many of the reasons stated earlier. I far, far prefer that over some tacky poo poo I'll end up throwing away, donating or just re-gifting to someone and cash would just go straight into my wallet into general cash.

Also, they are a godsend for people with addiction issues that can't be trusted with straight cash.

I'm impossible to buy for, so I welcome gift cards. I have most everything I actually need, and my wants either change daily, or are too expensive to ask someone else to buy.

I would honestly rather receive a gift card then get something I didn't need/want and will never use.

Yeah, that, basically.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Drywall work is complete! We're ready to sand the rough spots and start cleaning so we can prime.

I mentioned before that we're going to be transitioning the trim to all white but I have zero experience properly prepping the wood for this, anyone have suggestions or not terrible tutorials? The paint claims that no prep is needed other than cleaning but I'd rather this not look like poo poo when we're finished.

Basics are to knock the gloss off, if glossy. You can sand, or there are liquid products that will do it. Gotta give the paint something to bite into. If it's just unpainted wood (sorry, haven't watched the whole video tour), you're probably ready to go as is.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I would just do one and see how it looks the next day (remember I talked about using good paint). I can't remember priming or sanding anything in rental houses except over oil based paints putting latex over it.

And also this car looks pretty ok:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pa19/auction/lots/r0022-1956-porsche-550-rs-spyder

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Darchangel posted:

Basics are to knock the gloss off, if glossy. You can sand, or there are liquid products that will do it. Gotta give the paint something to bite into. If it's just unpainted wood (sorry, haven't watched the whole video tour), you're probably ready to go as is.

Yep, quick sand to scuff up the surface. Wipe down. Primer and paint. Oil based takes longer to cure and is a pain to clean up, but pays dividends with hardness and longevity.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Gonna side with Fo3 a bit here: gift cards can suck. There was/is a thing here where one could buy a "box" with something, like a wine tasting or a bed-n-breakfast stay or something, and there'd be a dozen or two participating places. More than once I tried to use one and the good places were closed down, there were nothing nearby, stupid stipulations like only Mon-Thursday for a dinner, etc. Oh, or the best one, poo poo would expire after a year, but for a fee one could extend another year! Bullshit.

We have a three year old gift card sitting for some famous cake place that I'm not 100% sure where is and whether is expired.

I've sworn off gift cards. I recommend giving the amount in cash, with a stipulation. For example, I got the equivalent of $35 from my brothers for Christmas one year with orders to go spend it at this fancy cheese shop. I did, it was amazing, the total didn't come to exactly $35 but fuckit that didn't matter, everybody was happy. Everything that a gift card can do was accomplished with none of the restrictions.

Maybe where Amazon is available it's basically cash, but where it isn't...

Edit: on a different note, I just made hot chocolate with real 60% chocolate and even for a first stab with no real recipe it was AMAZING! Can recommend.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gift cards done expire in the US and if the business says they do report them to the BBB

Until I married my wife I would make a Christmas list which would promptly be tossed and my parents would buy me what they thought I needed and occasionally what I wanted. Free stuff was free stuff and I’m not gonna complain about it, but it was pretty life changing when my first Christmas with my in laws I got stuff I actually wanted from both them and my wife

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, a lot of people I know regard gift cards as low effort and faintly insulting, if it's for something generic like a department store. If it's for something specific that shows some thought was put in (like an auto detailing shop, or Bolind's cheese shop) then it's a good present. Personally, I'm fairly ambivalent on the matter, though if someone gets me one for some department store or whatever that I'm not likely to go to, it's probably going to expire and is therefore a waste of money.

The biggest present bummer for me is getting whiskey from people. I'm super into beer, wine and vodka, I love going to tastings and seminars for those alcohols, but I don't drink whiskey. At all. I just don't like it, and yet people keep buying it for me :v: I got to like 10 bottles in my drinks cabinet before starting to give it away to the one whiskey guy I know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Yep, quick sand to scuff up the surface. Wipe down. Primer and paint. Oil based takes longer to cure and is a pain to clean up, but pays dividends with hardness and longevity.

I can do that. One more dumb question, should I use a specific type of primer for the wood?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

I can do that. One more dumb question, should I use a specific type of primer for the wood?

Wood primer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Match the primer to the paint you're using. Not the thing you're painting.

I did all my trim with water based paint but the tops of my half walls and all my windowsills were done with oil based. I set stuff on top of the half walls all the time. They still look great after 12 years, although there are some marks here and there. And I got a dab of sunscreen on one and didn't notice it until it had eaten through the paint the next day. That stuff is nasty.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Any bourbon geeks here? Need a suggestion for good SMOOTH bourbon that isn't too expensive, I'm willing to spend around $100.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

What bourbons do you already like? I'd parse "smooth" as older and low proof, which might not be the goal.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Any bourbon geeks here? Need a suggestion for good SMOOTH bourbon that isn't too expensive, I'm willing to spend around $100.

I'm not a bourbon guy. Hard liquor tends to have a distinct rubbing-alcohol odor and aftertaste for me. Despite that, I've been really happy with the Bird Dog 10 Year Very Small Batch I picked up. It's also only about forty bucks.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Old Forrester 1920

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

100 will get you a pretty drat good bourbon. You can get in to the 15-18 year olds then, generally the older the smoother and more flavorful.

I haven't had a lot of bourbon, I've had more scotch. I like scotch, and two 18 year old scotches that I've had that were spectacular are Glenlivet and Aberlour. The Glenlivet is around $90.

dk2m posted:

It’s my first winter in CO coming from the midwest and a few thoughts

- This much sunshine is really throwing me off. Decades of dreariness has conditioned me to feel terrible this time of the year and the fact that I’m not is weirding me out

- It’s only snowed a few times but it’s been way tamer that I would have expected - that being said, there are a looooot of people that seem to struggle driving through it, I have no idea why

- Blizzaks seriously are the best thing in the world - mountain driving goes from white knuckling to just being cautious

- I’ve noticed a lack of janky, rusted out piles of poo poo that I’m used to seeing rolling around everywhere in the midwest which is probably due to emissions? On the downside, every 4x4 is like 3K more than what it should be on craigslist

So far so good though, I much prefer this sunnier version of winter

Yeah our winters are way better than people imagine. Everyone thinks it's 12 feet of snow that never goes away like in the midwest or great lakes areas, but the humidity is too low for that, the snow and ice evaporates. I was just in my clean room and it's 16% humidity in there right now. Dry as fuuuck.

So even when we get the blizzards (most I've seen in 19 winters is 3 feet at once) it gets plowed off the road in a day or two, and melts or evaporates in less than a week. Then you go weeks at a time of dry sunshine and then another storm. It's pretty great. Most "storms" only drop 3-6 inches of snow that is gone the next day except in the shade.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 4, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Blanton's Original Single Barrel or Eagle Rare are both very good and well under that price point.

Blanton's is what John Wick drinks if they're into that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

Blanton's Original Single Barrel or Eagle Rare are both very good and well under that price point.

Blanton's is what John Wick drinks if they're into that.

I picked up a bottle of Blanton's Original this afternoon at the recommendation from a friend. Had a couple sips of it so far and that's a good bourbon. For the price it will be hard to beat.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

McTinkerson posted:

Old Forrester 1920

Got laid at a wedding with this one. A++ would Old Forrester again.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Man, I'll celebrate any gifts or gift cards or cash. I'm just glad someone thought enough about me to spend money on me. gently caress, it could be some stupid trinket, I don't care at all. I'll take that poo poo. Who cares that it "locks you into buying from a specific place." Whatever, I can find stuff to buy anywhere, or I'll use it to buy something for someone else. There's also places that buy gift cards or you could sell them; I've never tried it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

Got laid at a wedding with this one. A++ would Old Forrester again.

I brought an old Forester to a wedding once but the only thing getting blown was head gaskets :downsrim:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I brought an old Forester to a wedding once but the only thing getting blown was head gaskets :downsrim:

In fact I did drive my Forester to that wedding come to think of it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Is it for yourself or for someone else? If it's a gift, this is one area a gift card is actually really good!

I don't drink much bourbon, I'm a single malt guy usually. The Whisky/Whiskey Thread is definitely a good place to ask though

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't know if I'm with or not with my ex, but I am a weak man, and I have no excuses for my behavior

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have an interview on Wednesday morning.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:frogsiren: Come out and play the Sheep Game! :frogsiren:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I have an interview on Wednesday morning.

:yotj: Good luck!

Whisky/Whiskey chat: for bourbon, I'm a fan of Bulleit as a mid-shelf option and any of the small batch collection (Booker's, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, and Baker's) are good choices though I think BH is probably the mellowest/smoothest. Any of them should be well under $100.

In other news, I finally got around to installing the SSD that's been sitting on my desk for the last like... year(ish?). Aside from the initial disk clone which ran while I was at work and having to use WinRE to fix a minor boot issue, I think it took about 30 minutes and I should have done this way sooner. This PC is an i5 2500k and it's been given new life.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I don't know if I'm with or not with my ex, but I am a weak man, and I have no excuses for my behavior

You alright?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Prong Song posted:

in the US it's illegal for GCs to expire. Also, Amazon gift cards are the bomb. If 10 people can give me $50 gift card I can now buy myself a $500 item I really wanted.

Wrong.

In some states it's illegal for them to expire. But at a federal level, they have to be honored for 5 years (which is a lot better than what they did before the CARD act passed)

The Door Frame posted:

Let the little head do the thinking again?

(you okay?)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm ok, and probably also thinking with my other head, but yeahhhhhhh....

We'd been together so long and our families got so close that the holidays are less comfortable apart. Thanksgiving "alone" was so rough on both of us that we finally sat and talked, and then things continued on from the talking and now I don't know what is happening

I'm still only planning for my own future alone and am not actively pursuing a relationship, but she's around again and in my life/bed

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

We'd been together so long and our families got so close that the holidays are less comfortable apart. Thanksgiving "alone" was so rough on both of us that we finally sat and talked, and then things continued on from the talking and now I don't know what is happening

I'm still only planning for my own future alone and am not actively pursuing a relationship, but she's around again and in my life/bed

Sometimes an easy option is not the best option.

Don't take something that you know doesn't work, for fear of the worst case scenario if you don't.

No reason that the right person is just around the corner, even if it seems unlikely.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Suburban Dad posted:

I haven't really done any Christmas shopping. And I don't really want to, either. I don't want anything and don't want people to waste money on useless crap for me but I'm sure it'll happen anyway. Why can't you just tell your family "Let's just not this year?" and it actually happen? Seems everyone has guilt in not buying garbage for people.

:same:

Mom and I trade gift certs for cool local shops and/or books mostly and my sibs don't bother since I'm the only one without a herd of kids, or we do a White Elephant for all the adults. it works out.

Bulleit's good, and I keep Evan Williams 1783 around the house, but the smoothest I've had lately was Noah’s Mill. It's a rye, strong vanilla and lighter walnut flavors, and very smooth. Think it ran about fifty bucks.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 4, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hey IT goons, what's the best balance between price and reliability (and cheap toner) for a wifi-equipped laser printer right now? Built in duplexing would be very nice, but isn't a deal breaker. Still Brother?

I need something compact with wifi, otherwise i'd buy an old tank of an HP.

I'm gonna be printing several hundred pages of poo poo in January (I want hard copies of all of my tax/business stuff for the year :corsair:). Plus I'm sick of feeding this stupid inkjet. I swear this fucker needs a new cartridge every 100 pages.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Gotta love priorities. Friend this morning is bemoaning the fact that Tumblr banned all adult content and heres me sitting here trying to work out how to pay my $130 health insurance bill with the 21c I have left in my bank account till thursday.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Gotta love priorities. Friend this morning is bemoaning the fact that Tumblr banned all adult content and heres me sitting here trying to work out how to pay my $130 health insurance bill with the 21c I have left in my bank account till thursday.

That is the sound of opportunity knocking my friend. A little manscaping and some sexy undies, you'll be away laughing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Don't view an old relationship through a rose-tinted dick.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

Don't view an old relationship through a rose-tinted dick.

When you view a relationship through a rose-tinted dick, all the red wedding nights look just like nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Queen Combat posted:

When you view a relationship through a rose-tinted dick, all the red wedding nights look just like nights.

*warning lights.

And agreed. You've got some of the pain behind you. You can leave it there or revisit. I can't judge, some paths come back together, but make sure you use both heads to make the real decision.