Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Your Taint posted:

Regardless of what you think about him, HW Bush is only the 32nd person to lie in state at the Capitol.

I'm a history nerd and I love history tidbits like that.

What happened to the other 10 presidents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's a question: why do we allocate funding to drug development for diseases that effect a disproportionately small part of the population, if the same funding could be allocated to drug development for things that cause greater harm?

because those diseases have the potential to infect almost anyone and what's an isolated disease can often bloom into a wider problem

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1069730439810768901?s=21

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mince Pieface posted:

I don't have stats, but as someone who works in biotech/ pharma R&D, there's a couple issues:
The primary cost is clinical trials and keeping the lights on. The cost of taking a drug from pre-IND to Phase 3 and selling it can cost between 100-300 million dollars. 95% of drugs that start phase 1 don't make it to phase, so there's a lot of wasted money that the successful drugs have to make up for. It's estimated only 1/10,000 compounds investigated even make it to phase 1, and looking at those costs money too.

The way it often works now is academic labs get funding from the government now to start R&D, promising drugs get spun out into startups who are funded by some combination of VC, insurance companies, NIH/NSF, or other programs from military or CDC.

If something looks promising often either the drug or the whole company is bought out by big pharma companies and taken through phase 3 with big pharma money. That money comes from their successful drugs.

I definitely think there's a lot of greed by big pharma but in drug development there is definitely not enough government money. Because you don't just have to fund R&D for a drug, you have to fund R&D and clinical trials for that drug and all the unsuccessful drugs it took to get to that drug.

IMO the solution is more socialized drug development, packaged with drug patent reform. I'm not sure what the best way to implement that is though, its not easy to balance keeping costs low with also working on challenging diseases or small population diseases which will have low success rates or be hard to run clinical trials for. These problems would persist with even a fully nationalized healthcare and R&D system, although to a lesser extent, so we as a society should think about how we want to solve them.

This is going to vary drastically depending on what country to live in. I believe the NHS still does (or used to, who know what the Tories cut) fund the entire process. In Canada it varies by province but my brief experience working with one here in Ontario was 100% publicly funded by OHIP.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

haveblue posted:

What happened to the other 10 presidents?

Only 10 or 11 were Presidents.

https://www.aoc.gov/nations-stage/lying-state-honor

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1069733512994086912

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's a question: why do we allocate funding to drug development for diseases that effect a disproportionately small part of the population, if the same funding could be allocated to drug development for things that cause greater harm?

Basically because what they're doing is looking at weird compounds that do strange things to the human body, and then trying to figure out if any of that is useful in any way.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i mean, i ain't as a general rule going to judge a defense lawyer too much for keeping a particular client

dershowitz is scum but i don't think the epstein thing in itself is a huge deal (it may however be part of a Randazza-esque pattern of chosen clients)

the massage thing is just a little weird but whatever

What the gently caress dude

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Basically because what they're doing is looking at weird compounds that do strange things to the human body, and then trying to figure out if any of that is useful in any way.

sexpig by night posted:

because those diseases have the potential to infect almost anyone and what's an isolated disease can often bloom into a wider problem

OK, that makes a...degree of sense. I regard orphan drug research funding with a degree of suspicion because of the venture fund people I keep seeing hovering around it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

The people of WI are pisssssssed

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/1069745796034281479

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Discendo Vox posted:

Because the government is picking up the slack for private enterprise who won't spend money on something that won't pay them back. Essentially what you're talking about is the entire point of government: to protect people who have no other avenues.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

skylined! posted:

The people of WI are pisssssssed

drat ok maybe I was wrong, maybe my state isn't 100% hosed yet. I'm not in a position to go protest but I hope those people accomplish something.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

skylined! posted:

What the gently caress dude

I'm not one to self-quote but I'm going to just post these before you respond

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-alan-dershowitz-got-involved-in-jeffrey-epstein-case-2015-1

quote:

Here's where Dershowitz comes in. Last week, Cassell and another lawyer for the Jane Does, Bradley Edwards, filed a motion asking the court to add two more Jane Does to the case. That motion stated that a girl known only as Jane Doe #3 had been forced to have sex with "powerful people," including Dershowitz, who had represented the financier.

quote:

One such powerful individual that Epstein forced then-minor Jane Doe #3 to have sexual relations with was former Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz, a close friend of Epstein's and well-known criminal defense attorney. Epstein required Jane Doe #3 to have sexual relations with Dershowitz on numerous occasions while she was a minor, not only in Florida but also on private planes, in New York, New Mexico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

In addition to being a participant in the abuse of Jane Doe #3 and other minors, Dershowitz was an eye-witness to the sexual abuse of many other minors by Epstein and several of Epstein's co-conspirators. Dershowitz would later play a significant role in negotiating the NPA [plea agreement] on Epstein's behalf.

Dershowitz is Epstein's attorney because he is a loving monster, not because he has some judicial duty to defend his forever-client.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1069748140331450368

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I didn't know that Nixon didn't eulogize LBJ but I'm adding that to the list of reasons he's a piece of poo poo.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

This should be a "storm the building and burn it down" moment if they proceed with this crap.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

https://twitter.com/analieseeicher/status/1069681657723138048

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

InsertPotPun posted:

Because the government is picking up the slack for private enterprise who won't spend money on something that won't pay them back. Essentially what you're talking about is the entire point of government: to protect people who have no other avenues.

Per the prior conversation, that's...specifically not how government funding of drug research works. None of the people who benefit from any sector of federally funded drug development have other avenues; absent some overarching reason, orphan drug research funding would just be a particularly inefficient and abuse-prone allocation of money compared to other research funding streams. And it's definitely the sort of setup anti-regulatory groups love. There's nothing like a legally defined longshot project, because it means you're not as accountable if your efforts don't produce results.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 4, 2018

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's Not Biochemistry [TM].

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Discendo Vox posted:

Per the prior conversation, that's...specifically not how government funding of drug research works. None of the people who benefit from any sector of federally funded drug development have other avenues; absent some overarching reason, orphan drug research funding would just be a particularly inefficient and abuse-prone allocation of money compared to other research funding streams. And it's definitely the sort of setup anti-regulatory groups love. There's nothing like a legally defined longshot project, because it means you're not as accountable if your efforts don't produce results.

This issue just encapsulates the problem with having things that are good for the public at large or the country in general being driven by a private company for profit. Like there is a reason that vital industries aren't run for profit, and personally I don't really understand the need to have health care turn a profit. The argument used tends to be 'we need to make money in order to devise better treatments or build better facilities', but those aren't reasons that healthcare needs to generate profit but a reason that the healthcare industry needs money. We don't have private companies build our roads and then charge us extra so they can build more roads or widen roads for better traffic flow, we just fund it together in the form of money from the government.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

skylined! posted:

I'm not one to self-quote but I'm going to just post these before you respond

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-alan-dershowitz-got-involved-in-jeffrey-epstein-case-2015-1

Dershowitz is Epstein's attorney because he is a loving monster, not because he has some judicial duty to defend his forever-client.

Yeah it's pedophiles circling their wagons.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

god drat this is moving along exactly according to schedule that someone here i think called out over a decade ago. next step is when they''ll admit that it's bad and there's nothing we can do about it and then after that it'll be well WE WOULD HAVE done something if you liberals weren't being so hyperbolic and scaring everyone!!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The GOP's insane powergrab is about to provoke a state into open revolt. Cool and good country.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

CALLED IT!!! I kept asking on Saturday night if he was actually asked to speak because in light of the uh, history with him and that family, it seemed odd if he went on to give a eulogy. This rules.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

VH4Ever posted:

CALLED IT!!! I kept asking on Saturday night if he was actually asked to speak because in light of the uh, history with him and that family, it seemed odd if he went on to give a eulogy. This rules.

I picture him accidentally driving his golf cart into the open grave for some reason. The guy is a walking travesty.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

EngineerJoe posted:

I hope when Trump finally kicks it it's in late April and the government shuts down for Cinco de Mayo

This would basically be my gateway into believing in a higher power, and specifically a higher power who would bring the world to chaos in order to build for the sickest punchline ever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I didn't know that Nixon didn't eulogize LBJ but I'm adding that to the list of reasons he's a piece of poo poo.

They were both pieces of poo poo, so it's fitting.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

literally pulling an 'actually I'm laughing' hahaha

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillHour posted:

They were both pieces of poo poo, so it's fitting.

True but LBJ was a piece of poo poo who at least tried to expand the social welfare state massively to help the poor and pretended to care about black people, which are precisely two more positive traits than Nixon had.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I'm still dying over here. The sitting president of the US is such a walking disaster that he can't be trusted to just read a prepared speech about a dead former president, and the closest such example is an actual traitor not eulogizing the predecessor who had him dead to rights on the treason he committed because he was a corrupt coward. We're living in some interesting loving times.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Turns out my initial instinct that it was probably all lies is more likely than not lol

https://twitter.com/KevinWhitelaw1/status/1069720530977255424?s=19

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Milo put out a response to this story on Twitter.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1069757725096198146

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Link goes to a suspended account. That was fast.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

I think it's wild that someone could be that in debt while trying to live the high life by the pool, while the second I owe money or have crippling student loans, billing jumps on that with the quickness. These pricks like him forcefully speak out against "welfare queens" or people just wanting a basic standard of living while they run up a bill.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Never gets old.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

What did the Miami Herald do?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1069748435711090689

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hastings posted:

I think it's wild that someone could be that in debt while trying to live the high life by the pool, while the second I owe money or have crippling student loans, billing jumps on that with the quickness. These pricks like him forcefully speak out against "welfare queens" or people just wanting a basic standard of living while they run up a bill.

There is a decently well known quote/phrase that I have no clue where it is from. Basically, if you owe someone a small amount of money, they have influence over you. However, if you owe someone a poo poo-tons of money you have control over them. Like eventually they're going to milk enough out of you that even if they don't get it all they're not operating a loss. They can't work over the guy who owes them 4 million dollars and get even close to that amount, so they have a vested interest in seeing him get into a position to get them that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MuhammadLila/status/1069609790802784257

It's so majestic. :gop: