Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Chapter XIX: Kashira, Kashira, Gozonji Kashira?

Soundtrack: Temptation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5JxFGdRV1w

Last time, we decided to claim that Patter Song has no prince. She can fend for herself and doesn't need a twisted relationship like the one Kozue is apparently building with Chigusa.

Patter Song: I don't, unfortunately.

Chigusa: I see. Well, since you just transferred here, I guess it can't be helped. I'm sure that soon, one will appear before you, as well. A prince on a white horse.

We don't gain or lose any points with Chigusa for this interaction. She would be interested if we did have a prince, but seems to think that our lack of one is simply that the opportunity hasn't happened yet. This ends the scene, so time to talk about Chigusa's new girlfriend(?), Kozue Kaoru.

:siren: Kozue Character Analysis

Miki's twin sister, Kozue, is a self-proclaimed wild animal. Acting with abandon where Miki is reserved and all id where Miki is superego, Kozue is out for certain goals in every version, especially the monopolizing of her brother's affections.

Kozue fears more than anything that Miki will find something else and betray their own precious kingdom of their memories. Of course, Miki vastly misremembers their childhood together, but Kozue is territorial and protective of her naive twin brother to a fault, willing to do savage acts like push a man down a flight of stairs to protect him.

This is just about the only image of Kozue from the movie I could find without her rear end in frame, but it has her holding a straight razor to her brother's neck instead. Movie Kozue has much the same priorities as the Kozue of the show and manga, but is even more direct about it.

Pictured: Kozue in her first anime appearance, fresh off of making out with Touga on her brother's practice piano. Kozue is notorious for her loose sexual norms in a series where it is difficult to stand out in that regard, possibly in an attempt to make her brother jealous, possibly just in her quest to seek power by sleeping with all those who possess it.

Kozue's pursuit of Chigusa is merely an indication that she sees Chigusa as someone with power. Depending on what scenes you pick in the game, you can either barely ever encounter her or constantly find her as an obstacle/rival.

Kozue is a May 28th birth, like Miki, making her a Gemini (predictably enough). Kozue's blood type is O.

:siren: End Character Analysis.

Back to the game. I wonder where we're going next.

Soundtrack: First Shadow Girls theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adJ4EO2fR18

Well, it's finally that time. A-Ko and B-Ko are, of course, the Greek Chorus of the first arc of Utena (later joined by C-Ko), who provide useful commentary on the events of the show. Here, they're not in full motion, and their show is a slideshow, but it's still fully voice acted.

Mountains

The ocean

Amusement parks. B-Ko, I have to say, I never went to any mountains on a school trip, but that has more to do with being hundreds of miles from any real elevation than anything else. That said, your Ohtori class trips sound interesting.

A-Ko: Huh? What about the zoo?

Poor B-Ko. The Zoo was never a favorite trip of mine, but zoos are worth going to just so you can say you've seen an orangutan or whatever.

B-Ko: Anyway, listen. The year after that, we went hiking on a mountain, right?

A-Ko: Yeah, yeah.

B-Ko: But then, but then, when we got to the top and opened our backpacks, surprise!

A-Ko: Maaaaan...!

I never found the idea of picnics or whatever the most exciting part of going on a trip, but that's just me. Carry on, ladies.

B-Ko: So I thought, darn, I'll have to go to everyone else, and try to gather up a little from each! You know, score myself a lunch! "Please give generously to poor, foolish me!"

Reminder that this is fully voice acted and the Shadow Girls are just as expressive as they always are. This scene loses a bit of its power in text.

B-Ko: And she'd already gone around to everyone before I could!

A-Ko: Maaaaan...! If there's something you want, you really do have to go for it before anybody else does. Totally, totally!

A-Ko: Gaaaaah!

And scene.

I do have an interpretation for this scene and I feel it's pretty solid, but it's heavily spoiler-ish for the end of the game. Remind me when the thread ends and I'll share with you my thoughts about what the Shadow Girls are getting at here. Anyway, moving on...

:siren: Extra, Extra

A-Ko: Did you know, did you know? There's another Let's Play on the forums!

B-Ko: Uh huh, uh, huh! Our video game is finally getting the attention it deserves!

A-Ko: We'll be famous just like Mario or Cloud! I should start Let's Playing, too!

B-Ko: When you think about it, a Let's Play is a kind of a Greek Chorus as well, right?

A-Ko: Ah! How could you betray him, Kerrigan? All he did was love you!

B-Ko: A Let's Player inserts commentary as a layer between the game and the audience, filtering their perception of the work. The player's choices and style in the game become part of the package of content the audience receives and produces a new hybrid experience!

A-Ko: Getting Snake through the village is too much trouble, I'll just kill them all.

B-Ko: No two people play games the same way. Some like side content and secret bonuses, some do speedruns and other content to show off a game's technical side, some like goofy antics to entertain the audience, and some people...

A-Ko: Why do I have to be the White Mage? Support is boring. Attack!

B-Ko: How many viewers do you have?

A-Ko: A hundred and fifty thousand subscribers and a sponsorship deal!

B-Ko: Ehhhhhhhh?

A-Ko and B-Ko: Do you know, do you know, do you know why they watch?

I will do a full Shadow Girls character analysis next time they show up, but for now, A-Ko and B-Ko demanded I let them co-commentate on their game.

Back to the main event. What's going on in game?

Ah, it's that time again.

Could be worse.

We have Jury affection to spare.

Getting a bit short on Miki points, though.

Saionji's even lower.

No manual saves for us. Anyway, this cull, Chigusa could take between 0 and 3 roses and only took 1. This is pretty lenient of her, and leaves us with very high ratings with Jury, fairly high ratings with Utena, mediocre ratings with Touga, and abysmal ratings with Saionji and Miki.

Soundtrack: School Lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270vPdVVJ74

Home after a long day.

Patter Song: I'm back!

Anthy: Welcome home. Dinner is ready.

Dinner? I'm not sure we're recovered from lunch...

Remember, these three are the only people who live in this building.

Patter Song: There's so much food! Do you always eat like this?

Utena: Nah, the boarding house ladies made a mistake, and accidentially made too much.

Anthy: Without another person, we won't be able to finish it, don't you think?

Utena: Then, should we invite someone to dinner?

Excellent, Anthy didn't make the food. We should invite someone to join us.

And so, we end our update with the classic choice. There are golden scenes literally no matter which option you pick here: all of them have the opportunity to result in some great character interaction. I went through and navigated the dialogue trees of all of them.

Your choices are:

Chigusa
Jury
Touga
Miki
Saionji

Utena and Anthy will be joining us no matter who is chosen.

Choose wisely, and until next time, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As much fun as the thought of Anthy poisoning Saionji is, she was his bride prior, so is probably used to her cooking. Not to mention we were told campus staff made the food, so let's see if Jury wishes to partake in our humble feast.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I want to see Chigusa interact with Anthy.

From this point in the game, it seems like the Shadow Girls are telling us to hurry up and make a firm decision on who we want to romance before someone else takes them away from us. Knowing them, though, it could be something else entirely.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Saionji

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Incidentally, the fact that B-ko missed the zoo field trip is a reference to their skit from episode 7:

"UTP Translation of Episode 7 posted:

Bko: Good thing I've caught a cold. I was thinkin' an outing's a drag.
Bko: Why should someone my age have to go to a zoo?
Bko: Besides, the animals don't seem willing.
Bko: To begin with, that zoo doesn't have great animals, ya know...
Bko: Doves,
Bko: wolves,
Bko: deer,
Bko: ostriches,
Bko: giraffes...
Bko: They've got to be kiddin'!
Bko: Can't they show any stuff like pandas?
Ako: So, you wanted to go that badly.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'll hop on this train. I do wonder if this is the sort of game where you can reach a bad spot if anyone gets too low. Being that Chigusa routinely drops everyone's score, let's try to patch things up with Saionji.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jury, and hope for a traditional after dinner lesbian orgy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

After Dinner Lesbian Orgy used to rock before the drummer died.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's invite Saionji, if only to save him from cooking too many eggs as he tends to do.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Just realized:

Sorry, forgot to post this in the update. Our current relations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Jury Because who else would she invite?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chigusa. Sounds like would be the most fun.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Chigusa, let's get awkward

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Three way tie between Chigusa, Jury, and Saionji is an interesting way to start the vote.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Voting Jury every time there's a vote.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I'm going for Jury. No reason to spend more time with Saionji than we have to and we already spent some of the day with Chigusa.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Kayten posted:

Voting Jury every time there's a vote.

I'm convinced. Jury

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Chigusa. She's just so irresistibly mysterious!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
#AlwaysJury.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Jury

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

And goons go for the gamer girl, news at 11.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

T-man posted:

And goons go for the gamer girl, news at 11.
Nothing wrong with some Jury yuri. :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Saionji.

Let's make this poo poo awkward

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
I still have NO idea whether it's getting Chigusa to love us or hate us that affects how much hearts she steals goddammit

Let's hear it for a Touga upset!!! If his sister comes along it will be worth it. He stays outside though

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Leraika posted:

Saionji.

Let's make this poo poo awkward

I'm curious enough to support this idea.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Sticking with Jury here. Chigusa still creeps me the gently caress out and as much as I'm curious about how awkward dinner would be with Saionji, I can't see why Patter (our protagonist) would be inclined to invite him over Jury.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

TracerK posted:

Sticking with Jury here. Chigusa still creeps me the gently caress out and as much as I'm curious about how awkward dinner would be with Saionji, I can't see why Patter (our protagonist) would be inclined to invite him over Jury.

Sudden Onset Utena Protagonist Syndrome? She's gotta bang someone horrible.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Wouldn't Touga make sense, considering he lives in the same form?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

Wouldn't Touga make sense, considering he lives in the same form?

Touga was going to be my first choice, but I am worried what's going to happen if our scores drop too low.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

We gotta invite Saionji, it's simply in character for Patter-san to make the most awkward choice possible in blissful ignorance

Also not gonna lie the Chigusa Culling is actually loving creepy in concept alone. What kind of power does she have over Ohtori that she can weaken our social ties to people just like that?

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Also not gonna lie the Chigusa Culling is actually loving creepy in concept alone. What kind of power does she have over Ohtori that she can weaken our social ties to people just like that?

Most likely, just like everyone else there ... no power but that which she is given by those she would rule over. And also like everyone else, a power that will ultimately not give her what she wants.

Juri, if only to see her interacting with Utena and Anthy in a somewhat peaceful manner.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Calling it.

10 Jury
6 Saionji
5 Chigusa
2 Touga
0 Miki

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poor Miki.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dang, I was gonna vote for Miki.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Miki wouldn't have been a bad choice, either, since he's getting pretty low as well.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Should've picked Chigusa.

Missing out on the game's best choice. Talk about a no lose situation.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Patter Song posted:

Should've picked Chigusa.

Missing out on the game's best choice. Talk about a no lose situation.

That would be a difficult vote

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

por que no los dos?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

noooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--