Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Looking….. sharp!

:smugdon:

Believe me, I've wounded myself on more than one of those pikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

Believe me, I've wounded myself on more than one of those pikes.

Stop putting them in your mouth.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fish and Chimps posted:

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly got the idea to replace every killed little man in CoC with a dead little man.

Today, my idea finally came to fruition (as long as casualties are no more than 8 per side).

I love the way you've managed to make a little story out of some of them. That German trailing blood clearly has a gut wound but was able to crawl a bit.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks! I'm glad it showed through.

Edit: here's a Citroën from Peter Pig I painted up. The gloss varnish is drying right now. Apparently it's crackling up a bit, but it's for scatter terrain so I don't give a drat.

Also two tire piles.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 30, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It looks like my group is doing microarmour now. :heysexy:

This is my first Polish T55! I'm torn on adding the aircraft recognition cross they (infrequently) used. I'd like to differentiate mine from Soviets, and converting the stowage is beyond my skill level at this scale though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

What rules are you using for that nice looking T-55?

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
My Test of Honour stuff is coming together.

I flocked the bases of the trees and added some flock to the little lanterns, and I'm adding the last touches to some of the ashigaru and samurai. I'll try to take some less potato-quality pics once I'm happy with them. Painting 28mm after 15mm is nice. Since the standard stuff you get in the Test of Honour box is a bit mediocre modelling-wise, I used those to get practice for my Guildball team.

Which turned out nicer than my germans.

Also Fish 'n Chimps, if those are Canadians, apparently the uniforms are a lot greener. The dyes they used were more resistant to fading. I suggest you do what I did and sacrifice em to the great tub of Dettol, and repaint them with the proper green/brown.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah, the December issue.

Meanwhile I'm on the exact opposite trajectory. At first I wasn't that interested but after reading the battle report in the magazine I liked how it seemed to play and I love the Bolt Action activation mechanic.

Table size for 1/300 scale boats is going to be an awful issue. PY Dockyard has you covered for 1/600

https://ptdockyard.com

There's also a very nice line of 1/1250 boats and ships from Figurehead. I got mine from Last Square

http://www.lastsquare.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103_146

Pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49600326@N06/4728488543/in/photostream/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cessna posted:

What rules are you using for that nice looking T-55?

We're currently orbiting Cold War Commander, Fistfull of TOWs, and (the playtest for) Battlefield First Echelon. But 6mm TY is also an option!

It feels super weird having multiple choices available. (I think we'll end up with FFoTOWs given my group, though. )

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Wowshawk posted:

Also Fish 'n Chimps, if those are Canadians, apparently the uniforms are a lot greener. The dyes they used were more resistant to fading. I suggest you do what I did and sacrifice em to the great tub of Dettol, and repaint them with the proper green/brown.

I will loving cut you bitch :hist101:

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Fish and Chimps posted:

I will loving cut you bitch :hist101:

A shameful grog

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Wowshawk posted:

A shameful grog

I just airbrushed my north africa panzers dunkelgelb. :(

I’m the worst grog.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fish and Chimps posted:

Thanks! I'm glad it showed through.

Edit: here's a Citroën from Peter Pig I painted up. The gloss varnish is drying right now. Apparently it's crackling up a bit, but it's for scatter terrain so I don't give a drat.

Also two tire piles.

Fun fact: I got to see some of those Citorens in person earlier this year while I was in France. Beautiful cars.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Seriously though, I actually painted them to represent generic Brits, but the only decals I had for Shermans were Canadian. I originally wanted 8th Armoured Brigade because I really liked 'By Tank into Normandy' and he was in the Sherwood Rangers. Too bad Dom's Decals were the only one to produce those with correct Regiment numbers, since he's apparently AWOL.

Edit:

Zuul the Cat posted:

Fun fact: I got to see some of those Citorens in person earlier this year while I was in France. Beautiful cars.

Nice cars, nice backdrop.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I don't think anybody is going to complain about your painting man. What happened to Dom's decals? My regular gaming buddy has some of his stuff and it looks pretty good. Which reminds me that I have to get some Battlegroup going on. I've shelved coc for the time being as Guild ball is the go-to for skirmishing right now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fish and Chimps posted:

Seriously though, I actually painted them to represent generic Brits, but the only decals I had for Shermans were Canadian. I originally wanted 8th Armoured Brigade because I really liked 'By Tank into Normandy' and he was in the Sherwood Rangers. Too bad Dom's Decals were the only one to produce those with correct Regiment numbers, since he's apparently AWOL..
Solid book, for anyone wondering.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cross-postin' from the Oath thread...

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Wowshawk posted:

I don't think anybody is going to complain about your painting man. What happened to Dom's decals? My regular gaming buddy has some of his stuff and it looks pretty good. Which reminds me that I have to get some Battlegroup going on. I've shelved coc for the time being as Guild ball is the go-to for skirmishing right now.

I know. But I'm my own worst grog when it comes to historical inaccuracies.

Dom apparently goes off the grid once in a while. I had to run a PayPal complaint to get a refund since he didn't answer e-mails.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Historicals: seller apparently goes off the grid once in a while

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
At least you can mail your orders in and don't have to locate a working fax in tyool 2018

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Crossposting from the terrain thread:

I found a guy locally who was selling an entire box of plaster trench pieces. Bought all of them for a buck each - 42 total.

As you can see, a couple are broken. So, my question is, does anyone know the best way to care for these to make sure they don't all break? I'm thinking maybe mounting them on MDF..?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, mount them onto MDF to give a little bit of a "bumper" around the edges, coat them in PVA before painting, and generally just try really hard to be extra careful with them.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, mount them onto MDF to give a little bit of a "bumper" around the edges, coat them in PVA before painting, and generally just try really hard to be extra careful with them.

Thanks for the tips. This is my first time working with plaster castings. They're extremely heavy which is going to be a pain in the rear end to store/transport, but can't argue with the price.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It's always good to mount terrain on MDF if you want them to survive for a while. The MDF both keeps things from warping and it often takes the most dents, even if it's just protruding a few millimeter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We briefly experimented with plaster cast terrain for D&D and the like here in the way back when, but when you're playing mostly in a college classroom or random places every few weeks then transporting fancy bits gets awkward. Far better used for trenches TBH, which when damaged you can always just paint up muddy again.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Trying to set up boards based on maps in 15mm is making me uncomfortably aware of how crowded Flames of War (and related) are :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, multi-based games are not great at 1-1 representation. I once started mapping out Dublin city for Battletech just to see what it'd be like and there's basically one single clear concrete hex in the whole drat city.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm reading through Team Yankee and I'm legit surprised that the parking lot meme is such a thing.

Like, OK 6" command radius seems crazy. But you're also in command out to 16" if you're in a line formation with the commander.

So a unit has a 32" line and a 12" circle (plus figure size of the commanding team) to play in. Am I missing why everyone clumps up?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

moths posted:

I'm reading through Team Yankee and I'm legit surprised that the parking lot meme is such a thing.

Like, OK 6" command radius seems crazy. But you're also in command out to 16" if you're in a line formation with the commander.

So a unit has a 32" line and a 12" circle (plus figure size of the commanding team) to play in. Am I missing why everyone clumps up?

I think it's to do with line of sight rules?

It's been a while since I played the system (thought I am working on Flames of War desert armies).

I've found that the parking lot issue can easily be avoided with a few house rules (minimum distances between tanks, double the command distances or just flat out ditch them, make LOS from vehicle to vehicle).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok that makes sense with the context of the FAQ then. It clarified that friendly models only block for shooting purposes.

Which I assumed because otherwise Line Abreast wouldn't work, but that might not have been the popular reading.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

moths posted:

Ok that makes sense with the context of the FAQ then. It clarified that friendly models only block for shooting purposes.

Which I assumed because otherwise Line Abreast wouldn't work, but that might not have been the popular reading.

The problem with Line Abrest is that Team Yankee is a game of maneuver. Getting flank shots, taking advantage of terrain (to either block line of sight, to achieve line of sight, or to get cover bonuses), and taking objectives are all extremely important ways to win the game, and the tactical utility of Line Abreast is far too limited in all but a very remote handful of game situations.

For instance: This is a TY game I played a longass time ago back near when the game came out. Considering the areas with the trees completely block LoS, where would taking advantage of Line Abreast have had any use on this table?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

Trying to set up boards based on maps in 15mm is making me uncomfortably aware of how crowded Flames of War (and related) are :(

It was an eye opener for me too. I was mostly dismayed to find how my hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of buildings are comically small, and we'd have to forever use my opponent's collection of 4ground buildings instead :(:retrogames:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

The main issue is hit allocation still occurs in a 6" radius. If you spread out further you invite people to plug the middle of your line and leave you out of command and potentially commanderless.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

:stonk:

:byodood: <insert rant here> :byodood:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The TY parking lot thing seems to bother people who don't play the game way more than it bothers those of us who actually play it.

All boardgames are abstractions of the real thing. Our models are static little plastic dolls. The rules are abstractions that aren't supposed to accurately depict the minutia of actual combat. TY is a game that operates on a relatively high level of abstraction.

It's okay if you don't like that. That's cool. :)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Geisladisk posted:

The TY parking lot thing seems to bother people who don't play the game way more than it bothers those of us who actually play it.

All boardgames are abstractions of the real thing. Our models are static little plastic dolls. The rules are abstractions that aren't supposed to accurately depict the minutia of actual combat. TY is a game that operates on a relatively high level of abstraction.

It's okay if you don't like that. That's cool. :)

I took my Dad to Warfare, his first Wargames show (He's going to make dioramas for his Zulu war collectibles, and wanted materials), and even he commented on how packed the TY table was.
He's never played a wargame above risk in his life.

Games are abstract, but they should at least look vaguely right. which is where FoW/TY makes people uncomfortable. but whatever floats your boat.

FAKE EDIT - almost forgot to get in the obligatory "should have been 6mm" comment.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

No, it should have been 1/35, and every time you want to play you need to book out your local indoor basketball court!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

spectralent posted:

The main issue is hit allocation still occurs in a 6" radius. If you spread out further you invite people to plug the middle of your line and leave you out of command and potentially commanderless.

Losing the commander would be a problem, but as long as each model has LoS to the commander, that doesn't seem to be the case?

My reading is that you check command criteria for each figure, and as long as everyone is either a) in line with and 16" from or b) within 6" of the commander, then the unit is good.

Ie: There's no way to knock a unit out of command by removing anyone (except the commander) because coherence is only based on the relative positioning of each figure to the commander.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Considering the areas with the trees completely block LoS, where would taking advantage of Line Abreast have had any use on this table?

Is that typical for terrain setup? It looks like a 15mm Infinity table! I don't think you could play anything on that table without it becoming a bunched up mess.

But even still, the helicopters don't necessarily need to be bunched like that. You could just put three down across a 2' lline with the same facing, right?

E: We're planning on doing it in 6mm, but it doesn't really seem as mandatory now that I'm actually reading the book.

The unit cards were another surprise, eveyone thought you needed to buy "official models" to get the stats (like X-Wing) but no - cards are just reference and the stats are in the army books.

moths fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 4, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Geisladisk posted:

I mean, you wouldn't play it otherwise, now would you?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some 40K to be extremely mad about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I got the new Wargames Illustrated with the E-boat sampler for Cruel Seas. I quite like these little boats -- already preordered the game but I was happy to see some samples with the issue. It has an S-100 and S-38. No idea if they randomized for everyone or just went German boats.

TINY 1/300 LITTLE BOATS