Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

iceaim posted:

Does this mean Payday 2 is in trouble too?

Also the StarVR is a joint venture with Acer so it might still be okay. I hope it is anyway, because I'd like to buy one.

Payday 2 is officially done but the servers might go in the trash as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iceaim posted:

Does this mean Payday 2 is in trouble too?

Also the StarVR is a joint venture with Acer so it might still be okay. I hope it is anyway, because I'd like to buy one.

Acer apparently told them to shape up and turn a profit or pound sand.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Every time I see that video I want to scream. So many awful maps, and that may be the worst of them.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Gerdalti posted:

Every time I see that video I want to scream. So many awful maps, and that may be the worst of them.

https://youtu.be/VrKe_ZsZkpU

I mean, nah. My kid made a map too, and I published it because I care about her more than a nerd screaming. It wasn't this one, though.

You'll know.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every other game has them, does beat saber not have hilarious troll maps?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every other game has them, does beat saber not have hilarious troll maps?

Oh it has them in spades. I do 4 beat saber streams a week and one of them is dedicated to memes.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Taintrunner posted:

I downloaded like 55 new tracks for Beat Saber from Beatsaver and goddamn my arms are tired now. Also holy gently caress some people are really bad at making beatmaps. I wish every track came with the home phone number of the creator so I can personally inform them what a bad person they are.

Try checking out https://bsaber.com/ I downloaded a bunch of their playlists and found a lot of tracks I enjoy.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

https://youtu.be/VrKe_ZsZkpU

I mean, nah. My kid made a map too, and I published it because I care about her more than a nerd screaming. It wasn't this one, though.

You'll know.

This one is bad but pales in comparison to the MJ one posted. I mean yeah I get it, but the MJ one is straight nonsense. This one is at least in beat. But gently caress people who make maps with the same direction swipe one after another.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Tried running Thrill of the Fight for the first time.

That, uh, is a lot more physically demanding than Beat Saber. :stare:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Corbeau posted:

Yeah, it loving owns. :D

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Corbeau posted:

As someone who has done 12 hour beat saber sessions and regularly does 6-8+ hours 5 nights a week...

Thrill STILL kills me after 1 fight. Like, If I play 1 round I'm done in VR for a bit. For sure. Its so insane.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

If you are in a silly mood, do a full squat when you "weigh in" for Thrill of the Fight, since that is how it measures your height. It'll scale the world as if you're 3ft tall, and then you can stand up and pretend you're fighting hobbits.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Which is a better workout, Thrill of the Fight or BoxVR?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Thrill of the Fight IMO, because it kinda forces you to be more intense. Throwing gentle taps and dropping your hands will get you through BoxVR, but in TotF the former will result in a decision loss, and the latter will result in you getting beaten up.

TotF is also more of an engaging game, in the sense of having a specific goal and win/loss conditions. You don't just do subjectively well or poorly; you win, or you lose.

Get BoxVR for mindless, fun cardio. Get TotF for something more intense.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I figure lag or jank would make such a thing almost impossible to make good, but there isn't a PvP MP melee combat game out there is there? Swords and the like, not boxing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shine posted:

If you are in a silly mood, do a full squat when you "weigh in" for Thrill of the Fight, since that is how it measures your height. It'll scale the world as if you're 3ft tall, and then you can stand up and pretend you're fighting hobbits.

Or stand on a ladder during weigh in for that authentic punch out experience

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is TotF calibrated or scored in a way that makes boxing with proper form (or as close as you can manage) useful, then? Or is asking for that kind of a lost cause still :v:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Is TotF calibrated or scored in a way that makes boxing with proper form (or as close as you can manage) useful, then? Or is asking for that kind of a lost cause still :v:

I can't say personally but I do recall some actual pro-level boxers calling it an incredible shadow boxing tool, so I think the answer is yes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The dev goes into more detail in the Steam forums, but in short, the game has a system to reward what it estimates to be use of good form, as best the technology allows. It looks at stuff like where the punch starts relative to where your head is, and if they are moving unrealistically fast or at weird angles by "whipping" your wrists in a manner that would be impossible if they were wrapped like an actual boxer. It's not perfect, but it definitely reduces how much you can cheese the system, unless you're determined to do so.

By default, it adjusts an internal multiplier to the power of your punching so that fights remain competitive regardless of how fast your punches are, since people of different sizes and athletic abilities will punch at different speeds (big slow player versus fast little player, for example). The intent is for most fights to go to a decision with 1-4 total knockdown between both fighters, but you can definitely knock people out as your accuracy improves, or by playing on easier difficulties.

Scoring is determined largely by the number of "damaging" punches you land, and the number of knockdowns. Weaker punches and jabs have a lesser effect on score. Your foes have small weak points on the chin, jaw, temple and liver (which you can see and practice hitting on the training dummy), so punching accurately at those points makes it easier to score damaging punches; though a hard punch to another spot will still hurt them. Throwing big, stupid haymakers basically stops working pretty quickly. As I've gotten better at the game, my power punch volume has decreased (compared to the panic flailing that was my first few fights :D), but I'm winning more rounds on higher difficulties because my defense, jab ranging, and cross/hook accuracy have improved. But sometimes I'll get overzealous trying to finish a guy I've hurt, fail, burn too much gas, and end up on the defensive as I get tired and my defense and movement get sloppy. The game does a good job of punishing sloppiness as the difficulty increases.

It's much easier for you to hit your foes than it is for them to hit you. They can't strike your body, for example, since the game doesn't really know where your body is; you could be leaning forward or back and it can't really tell. They also don't circle you, since the dev doesn't want people getting tied up in their cords. They also can't move outside of your guardian space, for obvious reasons. To make up for this, your foes punch very hard and accurately, so in general you can't take a ton of punches before you go down or lose a round on points. This makes it very important to keep your guard up and keep your head moving. I have a 78" wingspan and find that defensive jabs work very well to keep them at bay, as long as they land solidly. But then there's that one guy with the freakish reach :argh:.

So to answer your question, if you actually know how to box, then you'll immediately be way the gently caress better at TotF than someone who doesn't, which can't be said for a lot of boxing video games. In that sense, it's a respectable effort to simulate the sport in VR.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Has anyone tried multiplayer Creed where they give one of the controllers to a friend and have them just wave it around in front of them with impossible reach?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

Has anyone tried multiplayer Creed where they give one of the controllers to a friend and have them just wave it around in front of them with impossible reach?

Saq did this with his pro tube. He made extra long arms and may still be undefeated online.

Shine posted:

Thrill of the Fight IMO, because it kinda forces you to be more intense. Throwing gentle taps and dropping your hands will get you through BoxVR, but in TotF the former will result in a decision loss, and the latter will result in you getting beaten up.

TotF is also more of an engaging game, in the sense of having a specific goal and win/loss conditions. You don't just do subjectively well or poorly; you win, or you lose.

Get BoxVR for mindless, fun cardio. Get TotF for something more intense.

IMO Disagree because boxvr lets you actually push longer without murdering you. Yes in short bursts you might be physically drained more but you're not working out better.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

IMO Disagree because boxvr lets you actually push longer without murdering you. Yes in short bursts you might be physically drained more but you're not working out better.

Honestly, that part's on you. The reason why you can play Beat Saber for 8 hours but gas out in TotF in 5 minutes is likely because you punch like a maniac and don't control your breathing, so you overstep your conditioning and gas out.

If you keep at TotF and make a conscious effort to pace yourself and control your breathing, scoring points consistently instead of swinging for the fences, then in time you'll be able to complete a fight without feeling like you're gonna die, and move beyond the game's defaults and complete 5, 8, or 12-round fights at a competitive, sustainable pace. It's still an intense experience, since the game punishes you for planting your feet and dropping your hands in a way that BoxVR really doesn't, but gassing out in a few minutes is a player error, and one that I (and a lot of people) made the first time I played. Practice, practice, practice.

Both TotF and BoxVR provide fine exercise, if you use them properly. I like TotF more than BoxVR because the in-game goal of winning a fight (and not getting punched a bunch) keeps me more engaged than getting points for punching targets. My wife prefers BoxVR because it's less stressful and sets the pace for you, and that's fine.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Honestly, that part's on you. The reason why you can play Beat Saber for 8 hours but gas out in TotF in 5 minutes is likely because you punch like a maniac and don't control your breathing, so you overstep your conditioning and gas out.

If you keep at TotF and make a conscious effort to pace yourself and control your breathing, scoring points consistently instead of swinging for the fences, then in time you'll be able to complete a fight without feeling like you're gonna die, and move beyond the game's defaults and complete 5, 8, or 12-round fights at a competitive, sustainable pace. It's still an intense experience, since the game punishes you for planting your feet and dropping your hands in a way that BoxVR really doesn't, but gassing out in a few minutes is a player error, and one that I (and a lot of people) made the first time I played. Practice, practice, practice.

Both TotF and BoxVR provide fine exercise, if you use them properly. I like TotF more than BoxVR because the in-game goal of winning a fight (and not getting punched a bunch) keeps me more engaged than getting points for punching targets. My wife prefers BoxVR because it's less stressful and sets the pace for you, and that's fine.

Oh I pace myself. I just simply cant shadowbox a moving/fighting target for that long. I just personally feel like box is better and more enjoyable for "workin out". I said IMO. ;)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

I figure lag or jank would make such a thing almost impossible to make good, but there isn't a PvP MP melee combat game out there is there? Swords and the like, not boxing.
Not that I know of. The first really decent looking melee weapon game I've seen is in beta at the moment (Blade & Sorcery) but it's single-player only. There may be fundamental problems with doing decent multiplayer melee - B&S uses a wrist rotation mechanic to allow simulated physical interaction, and that's ok when you're against AI characters who can be programmed to move in certain ways when their weapon receives certain types of hits. But if you have two players who can basically just swing wildly at each other and there's nothing stopping them moving the weapons rights through each others' bodies.. I think it would probably become a complete mess (unless the players decide to role-play or something).

I think it could kind of work for something like Épée fencing maybe.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Speaking of, any indication as to Blade and Sorcery's STEAM release?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Looks like it's already time to upgrade StarVR and Payday's status from "troubled" to "flaming dumpster fire".

Starbreeze offices raided by Swedish police, at least one arrest.

Sucks, since FOV is my biggest bugbear in current VR and StarVR seemed to be the only headset that was really pushing it higher. Are there any other announced or rumored headsets with significantly higher FOV than the current models?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Looks like it's already time to upgrade StarVR and Payday's status from "troubled" to "flaming dumpster fire".

Sucks, since FOV is my biggest bugbear in current VR and StarVR seemed to be the only headset that was really pushing it higher. Are there any other announced or rumored headsets with significantly higher FOV than the current models?

Hope they had a hostage on-hand to trade for whoever got arrested :stare:.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

NRVNQSR posted:

The Walking Dead IP claims another victim.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Oh I pace myself.

If you feel gassed after a round or two, then you're demonstrably not pacing yourself. :psyduck:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

If you feel gassed after a round or two, then you're demonstrably not pacing yourself. :psyduck:

Yeah a full fights brutal (to me still). It still murders me even trying to pace myself so I can make sure to get through rounds when I cant knock the dude down/out.

Games tough man. :)

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Speaking of VR companies going under....

There are some potential deals in there: http://www.hgpauction.com/auctions/97380/jaunt/?fbclid=IwAR3dxhUQGzqKImvAUO7RSluhOIsZae_axTki_v9SBUkY2niTPtpZ1n5NLsU

Click "View Sale Catalog"

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 5, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Back in my early twenties a friend and I bought some gloves and scheduled a match. We hyped it up for a month but neither of us did any training.

We barely lasted two rounds. Boxing is way more exhausting then it looks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

jubjub64 posted:

Speaking of VR companies going under....

There are some potential deals in there: http://www.hgpauction.com/auctions/97380/jaunt/?fbclid=IwAR3dxhUQGzqKImvAUO7RSluhOIsZae_axTki_v9SBUkY2niTPtpZ1n5NLsU

Click "View Sale Catalog"

The VR stuff is in the "unassigned" category.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PirateDentist posted:

Try checking out https://bsaber.com/ I downloaded a bunch of their playlists and found a lot of tracks I enjoy.

Thanks! This is so much more useful, I had some really lovely tracks for a bit.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
What's the best way to completely reinstall SteamVR/the Vive software? SteamVR doesn't function consistently anymore, in fact it's broken half the time I start it up, and just reinstalling it changes absolutely nothing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Try taking steam vr into or out of the beta when you reinstall maybe?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Songbearer posted:

Speaking of, any indication as to Blade and Sorcery's STEAM release?

B&S is getting an early access trailer and date reveal tommorow.

Holding out hope that it's a "surprise, buy it now!!" thing but I doubt it. It looks so fun!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Picked up Thrill of the Fight. I can't feel my arms now.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Try taking steam vr into or out of the beta when you reinstall maybe?

Sadly, that didn't make any difference.

It's honestly hard for me to describe the problem I'm having. Any VR game I start becomes totally unplayable within a minute or two of me starting it. It's like it gets stuck in an endless loop of resetting the visuals. From the headset, it looks like it keeps switching between in-game and the SteamVR app loading screen, and from the mirrored image on the TV it looks like the game is running at 1 FPS. Also, SteamVR always starts up in safe mode, and trying to disable safe mode makes it restart and instantly crash with error 306. And even before all this, sometimes SteamVR Home would run at a crappy framerate, or constantly toggle between working and being "unresponsive", which would make it totally unusable.

Really, it's a huge mess and I have no idea what caused it or how to fix it. I tried reinstalling the drivers for the Vive USB devices, but that also did nothing.The only solution I can think of now is to just nuke all of my SteamVR related files and start anew, but I don't really know how to go about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

JayKay posted:

Picked up Thrill of the Fight. I can't feel my arms now.

:bisonyes: