Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bandaid.friend posted:

But the great thing about fast rail Liberal Infrastructure Projects is that you don't have to build it, just talk about it forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

TheMightyHandful posted:

For you Attenborough fans

quote:

Poor old Sir David. All he does today is narrate programmes prepared and written by others. I always had the utmost respect for him until 10 or so years ago. Please retire with some dignity Sir.

quote:

It would be easier to believe if they suggested a solution that didn't involve everyone else's money.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
is he campaigning on something other than malthusian beliefs this time? like how long till he paints his skin purple and begins to demand The Great Cull?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GoldStandardConure posted:

is he campaigning on something other than malthusian beliefs this time? like how long till he paints his skin purple and begins to demand The Great Cull?

he has 4 of the infinity stones already and he's showing no signs of slowing down,

Edit: I just noticed the Greens are supporting/have supported govt. legislation which basically makes it fair game for them to block VPN services. I know I'm a bit late to the party, apparently the vote went down in late November.

https://www.computerworld.com.au/ar...QSNeVCQsjo4Veb4

I think this is the thing that will prevent me from volunteering this/next year. Yeah, the ALP supported it too, and they don't need the funding so I'll probably still give the Greens my first preference in a very safe ALP seat - but gently caress, between this and the horror show that is the Vic/NSW branches right now, I can't endorse this poo poo. This isn't the party Ludlam represented, and it's not the party I worked hard to support in 4 separate election campaigns.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 4, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/JonathanLea10/status/1069771493121224704

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Labor continuing to be garbage on refugees, wanting to retain ministerial discretion over medical evacuation decisions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

He never did. He said consumption and population are the cause which is true. 7 billion humans in a cappo industrial international system of consumption are more damaging than 1 billion. It's not a difficult concept. The true Malthusian would welcome and support climate change because it is the universe handing out redress.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'll be impressed if anyone can get through this without murdering him, given how insufferable his tweets are.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

JBP posted:

He never did. He said consumption and population are the cause which is true. 7 billion humans in a cappo industrial international system of consumption are more damaging than 1 billion. It's not a difficult concept. The true Malthusian would welcome and support climate change because it is the universe handing out redress.

Guess where he wants to stop population growth and stop sending food aid so that they will starve to death. It's not the places with consumption well above people's needs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Guess where he wants to stop population growth and stop sending food aid so that they will starve to death. It's not the places with consumption well above people's needs.

So now you're being snide, crossing climate change discussion with comments on famine and populations without farming needing to be propped up by international aid?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why is famine so common in some parts of Africa

Hurrrnrnnnnnn cApiTAliSm

E: if you have a drought and the state or stocks can't weather it, a lot of people die. That's life. Not to mention the political poo poo going on where the international community was blocking aid due to it being stolen by paramilitary actors.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 4, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Hurrrnrnnnnnn cApiTAliSm

E: if you have a drought and the state or stocks can't weather it, a lot of people die. That's life. Not to mention the political poo poo going on where the international community was blocking aid due to it being stolen by paramilitary actors.

/imperialism

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

JBP posted:

Hurrrnrnnnnnn intentional underdevelopment in order to better extract superprofits.

Why were famines so common in pre-Soviet Russia, why were they so common in pre-revolutionary China? Both of them you could easily say they had a huge population living beyond their means, but it's clearly not true, it was a matter of development.

I'm also sure the colonialist malthusian wanker splits his genocidal plans between those dying of famines and those dying from climate change (as if one won't affect the other.)

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 4, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm okay with keeping people fed even if it isn't profitable.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm sorry JBP, the Auspol hive mind think Sir David is a bad person, so please can you change your views to better suit this view.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I'm okay with keeping people fed even if it isn't profitable.

Same but I don't wield absolute power over the earth and neither does Attenborough, despite posters thinking otherwise.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
David Attenborough murdered Steve Irwin

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why were famines so common in pre-Soviet Russia, why were they so common in pre-revolutionary China? Both of them you could easily say they had a huge population living beyond their means, but it's clearly not true, it was a matter of development.

They weren't insulated from famine by the machines of climate change. Great point.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also I like that an individual with no meaningful stake or power in the region going "ho hum they ran out of food because of weather events" is genocide. You're a cretin.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

You Am I posted:

I'm sorry JBP, the Auspol hive mind think Sir David is a bad person, so please can you change your views to better suit this view.

gently caress the salty salties

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

JBP posted:

They weren't insulated from famine by the machines of climate change. Great point.

It is. Deindustrialising isn't even a remotely viable solution to climate change. It leads to famine.

JBP posted:

Also I like that going "ho hum they ran out of food because of weather events" is genocide. You're a cretin.

'We should intentionally cut off food aid from those we have become rich from keeping in poverty', is genocide, sorry. It was genocide in Ireland when they exported food, genocide in Bengal when they didn't allow grain to be shipped there and it'd be genocide in Africa.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 4, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It is. Deindustrialising isn't even a remotely viable solution to climate change. It leads to famine.

No one said that. You think people are saying things, but they're not. You're spooking yourself out.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

i like attenborough, and i think he has done a great job raising awareness of nature and the need to protect it etc, but he has always been a bit of a poo poo when it comes to overpopulation

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's like being flogged by warm lettuce

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

28766f69642a2930 posted:

David Attenborough murdered Steve Irwin
he's still bad

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

i like attenborough, and i think he has done a great job raising awareness of nature and the need to protect it etc, but he has always been a bit of a poo poo when it comes to overpopulation

He just lives in the immediacy of situations. So drought and famine are in their immediacy caused by weather. His comments on food aid were literally "that won't fix it" but he doesn't explore the other solutions because he's not an international relations or politics expert. He just deals with the present natural context for famine when he speaks which is not enough food for this many mouths

E: but you can infer from his speaking on climate change that he believes collective activity to reduce carbon is necessary for everyone, since his opinion is that climate change equals total destruction, not just destruction of Savage peoples abroad or whatever you like to attach to his funny accent

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

He just lives in the immediacy of situations. So drought and famine are in their immediacy caused by weather. His comments on food aid were literally "that won't fix it" but he doesn't explore the other solutions because he's not an international relations or politics expert. He just deals with the present natural context for famine when he speaks which is not enough food for this many mouths

When he could easily point out that its the current political situation eg: capitalism and the fact that England was a terrible colonial power that set up the hosed situation half these countries are in. But he doesn't.

If he did he would probably loose his BBC shows though.

Saying "not enough food for too many mouths" basically speaks directly to your local pub chud who always says "why do families in africa keep having kids if they can't feed the ones they have? lets stop sending them food. what about our homeless here? *does nothing to help the homeless"

its irresponsible messaging.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Or his class position in elite British society doesn't allow him to accurately point the finger at the vast history of, and continued colonial subjugation of the continent and its ongoing detrimental effects. 'He's not a policy expert' is just bullshit.

e:fb

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You don't like him GSC, stop sugar coating it. You want him gone, locked away. Look deep inside your feelings, you know it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

You don't like him GSC, stop sugar coating it. You want him gone, locked away. Look deep inside your feelings, you know it.

nah i want to fite him irl in a cage match, i reckon i can take him

someone book the main event!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also where do we magic up millions of tonnes of iron ore and coking coal from to industrialise food production for a billion people without mining and manufacturing it? You'd be expending an amount of energy beyond comprehension.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Or his class position in elite British society doesn't allow him to accurately point the finger at the vast history of, and continued colonial subjugation of the continent and its ongoing detrimental effects. 'He's not a policy expert' is just bullshit.

e:fb

Why does Attenborough have to have an answer?

Like if my car is broken down on the side of the road should I expect him to know what's wrong, and be able to repair it?

Is there something wrong when someone doesn't have the answer, or an answer that doesn't make you happy?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Like if my car is broken down on the side of the road should I expect him to know what's wrong, and be able to repair it?

Is there something wrong when someone doesn't have the answer, or an answer that doesn't make you happy?

It's the tried and true left wing art of making enemies of friends. Follow the pure ideology, denizen.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

It's the tried and true left wing art of making enemies of friends. Follow the pure ideology, denizen.

you just made an enemy for life!!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

You Am I posted:

He does have an answer, and it's a fascist Malthusian one. I don't think it's particularly baffling why that's bad and he should be criticised for having that opinion.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

JBP posted:

Also where do we magic up millions of tonnes of iron ore and coking coal from to industrialise food production for a billion people without mining and manufacturing it? You'd be expending an amount of energy beyond comprehension.

This is why I said deindustrialising isn't a solution. Yes they do have to industrialise and mining and manufacturing will have to be done. That will require a large energy expenditure and carbon emissions.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

How about them Australian politics

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

There is enough food to feed everyone on the planet already.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

bandaid.friend posted:

But the great thing about fast rail is that you don't have to build it, just talk about it forever

It's rail, but fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

How about them Australian politics

they're shite