Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zenithe posted:

There is enough food to feed everyone on the planet already.

No there isn't. It's not distributed evenly and probably never will be. It's like saying there are enough rats in England for all the cats in China to eat, if you want to get Attenborough on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

How about them Australian politics
You're a very clever young man but it's goatse all the way down at this point.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hambeet posted:

How about them Australian politics

Tokamak posted:

It's rail, but fast.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

It's like saying there are enough rats in England for all the cats in China to eat, if you want to get Attenborough on it.

this sounds more like a problem for Elon Musk to solve.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

this sounds more like a problem for Elon Musk to solve.

Theres enough falsely accused cave divers to populate mars?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

TheMightyHandful posted:

Theres enough falsely accused cave divers to populate mars?

no i just want elon to make a skittergate to throw rats through

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

no i just want elon to make a skittergate to throw rats through

What about a really big tunnel instead?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

TheMightyHandful posted:

What about a really big tunnel instead?

Large Rat Collider

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

It's like saying there are enough rats in England for all the cats in China to eat, if you want to get Attenborough on it.
If you count Tories as rats, sure.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Someone please go to this.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

Someone please go to this.
Hey Anidav, you dig gatecrashing this kind of poo poo.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

you just made an enemy for life!!

Do you have some Scottish heritage

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

tithin posted:

Do you have some Scottish heritage

a wee bit, my grandfather (dads side) was half scottish

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Current systems of production, distribution, and consumption of food is a significant driver of climate change

And yet David Attenborough continues to eat

Curious

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Literally the only way for humanity to survive is a solar farm commune of soy farmers who don't eat meat.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Fertiliser requires the abuse of cows, there is no ethical consumption under ethical consumption.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Current systems of production, distribution, and consumption of food is a significant driver of climate change

And yet David Attenborough continues to eat

Curious

:hmmyes:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

$50 for a Pollie access lunch? Seems cheaper than the lnp normally run these things. Are they that hard-up for cash that a ~$10/head profit is ok?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

norp posted:

$50 for a Pollie access lunch? Seems cheaper than the lnp normally run these things. Are they that hard-up for cash that a ~$10/head profit is ok?

No free Turnbull bucks anymore, gotta dig deep.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

norp posted:

This is just him trying to pay back the internet bill still

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
poo poo’s gonna get way funnier:

https://twitter.com/karenmmiddleton/status/1069779297022267393?s=21

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

monkeu posted:

poo poo’s gonna get way funnier:

But our battle formation is pointed towards the other half of the party

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

we’re moving to 2 backflips a day

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The enemy is women.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

norp posted:

What is the sound of one Liberal funderaiser clapping?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
News.com.au is sounding the drums

As house price falls accelerate, a growing number of mortgage holders across the country are being left in the negative equity “prison”.

Borrowers in negative equity find themselves paying off mortgages for more than their properties are worth, unable to sell without being left with an outstanding debt to the bank, and potentially facing higher interest rates.

As forecasts grow darker for how much further the market has to fall, consensus is beginning to circle around the all-important 20 per cent, with 15 out of 21 economists and experts polled by Finder.com.au backing the figure.

Yes! Haha! Yes!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lid posted:

As house price falls accelerate, a growing number of mortgage holders across the country are being left in the negative equity “prison”.

Borrowers in negative equity find themselves paying off mortgages for more than their properties are worth, unable to sell without being left with an outstanding debt to the bank, and potentially facing higher interest rates.

As forecasts grow darker for how much further the market has to fall, consensus is beginning to circle around the all-important 20 per cent, with 15 out of 21 economists and experts polled by Finder.com.au backing the figure.

Yes! Haha! Yes!

We bought pretty much at the peak, which sucks, but we did so knowing there was a strong potential that would be the case, and as a lifestyle decision rather than an investment one. We made sure that we were buying something we could continue to service in the event of interest rate rises and reduction in income too.

For some people there’s going to be blood on the streets though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hopefully the "ramifications" are that a lot of dodgy fuckers lose their jobs or potentially go to jail

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

We bought pretty much at the peak, which sucks, but we did so knowing there was a strong potential that would be the case, and as a lifestyle decision rather than an investment one. We made sure that we were buying something we could continue to service in the event of interest rate rises and reduction in income too.

For some people there’s going to be blood on the streets though.

Same here. MrsMG sometimes laments that we won't get back what we paid for the house but we can afford the repayments and if we ever do move who knows what the market will look like in 20+ years.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Lid posted:

Yes! Haha! Yes!

:itshappening:

Just this past week an acquaintance told me she and her partner were looking at houses... With no deposit... And I had to restrain myself from saying anything coz it's not like I know these people.

Also you reminded me I need to do my big effortpost on super.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
People in Western Australia who bought at the peak of the mining boom, for example, have seen prices fall by about 15 per cent over the past five or six years.

At the other end, many enticed by first homebuyer grants who purchased in the past six to 12 months are now underwater, particularly because newly built properties are losing value faster that more established ones.

“It’s like buying a new car, as soon as you drive it off the lot it drops about 15-20 per cent in value,” Mr North said.

Then there are the highly leveraged property investors, often with overlapping mortgages. “Quite often we see investors with multiple properties all going underwater,” he said. “That’s the real sharp end of this.”

Meanwhile, investors in places like Brisbane who purchased off-the-plan apartments 18 months ago are now being required to “pony up” and complete the purchase, but the valuation is coming in at 15-20 per cent below the original price.

“That will be a problem for people trying to settle because the banks might not lend them what they now owe,” said Realestate.com.au chief economist Nerida Conisbee. “That could also be a problem for the developers.”

And it’s not just first homebuyers and investors — people living in expensive suburbs are also feeling the pinch, as prices are falling faster at the more expensive end of the market.

“You’re seeing pockets of negative equity in places you wouldn’t expect to see it, like Bondi and Mosman in NSW and Toorak in Victoria,” Mr North said. “There the more affluent households now suddenly find they’ve got issues too.”

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Thank god this will all appear on graphs that will handily place it in the context of this financial year and it can all be blamed on the next Labor government.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

Yes! Haha! Yes!

This doesn't mean anything unless you are forced to sell. Just loving ride it out.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Pretty dark that the house I've just about finished building isn't going to be worth "land price" + build costs. I'm not the bad guy :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I put a house deposit's worth of cash into shares and Trump has hosed them up but I will endure and emerge more powerful than ever.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Bought a house just this year :negative:

Oh well I'm not planning on moving ever again, lol.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

In any crash the top segment best able to weather it aquires everybody who couldn't. Fewer landlords holding more properties each

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This is the crash we have to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

Bought a house just this year :negative:

Oh well I'm not planning on moving ever again, lol.

:same: