Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

The other two have had it since... launch and a year after launch?

It’s not as fast on those. At least it wasn’t with non-Pro/X models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 good or bad? You don't have to tell me why because that would be too much to ask for free. I'm not on here to make other people go to work all over again

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cavauro posted:

Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 good or bad? You don't have to tell me why because that would be too much to ask for free. I'm not on here to make other people go to work all over again

Bad imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cavauro posted:

Very good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Skyrim is a better game than XBC2 don’t @ me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cavauro posted:

It's okay

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Weedle posted:

NBA2k17 is better than Skyrim.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Weedle posted:

I have 100+ hours of each on Switch. Both are good, to me specifically.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Cavauro posted:

good

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

XB2 is good. Worth a poke.

If you're in Europe I Pre-ordered Smash plus DLC for £65 on GamesRocket, pretty big saving over the e-store

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Weedle posted:

XBC2 is better if you want a deep JRPG combat system, humor, surprisingly well-written and 3 dimensional characters, and environments that aren't boring snowy mountains

Skyrim is better if you want to steal cups, wander around boring snowy mountains, set fire to brigands, search the boring snowy mountain lair of the brigands you just set fire to, and steal their cups too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Which of the two lets you steal DD cups?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gripweed posted:

XBC2 is better if you want...3 dimensional characters

They're so 3 dimensional they might poke your eye out

acksplode fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 4, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like at the many different rpg systems overlapping in Xenoblade 2 but a lot of people don't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are 9+ different systems for character advancement in XBC2, the story ask you to forgive/feel sorry for multiple people who are plotting complete human genocide, titty titty titty rockin everywhere, combat mechanics are parsed out with the full system not available till 20+ hours in, the just about every single boss fight ends with you getting your rear end whupped in cutscene to the point where it becomes farce, combat is half baked, there are numerous mechanics or quests that are just egregious time sinks, its DLC is so much an improved experience if you play it first good luck finishing the main game, and it has gatcha mechanics in a single player game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

There are 9+ different systems for character advancement in XBC2, the story ask you to forgive/feel sorry for multiple people who are plotting complete human genocide, titty titty titty rockin everywhere, combat mechanics are parsed out with the full system not available till 20+ hours in, the just about every single boss fight ends with you getting your rear end whupped in cutscene to the point where it becomes farce, combat is half baked, there are numerous mechanics or quests that are just egregious time sinks, its DLC is so much an improved experience if you play it first good luck finishing the main game, and it has gatcha mechanics in a single player game.

Yeah this is a good description on why it rules.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I liked Xenoblade 2 a lot, but on the whole I think the DLC handled itself better. It also has a better main cast.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
XB2 is good if you like mmo style combat where you push buttons in between bouts of auto attack, numbers fly incomprehensibly all over the god drat place, and it's very difficult to get a pulse on whether the game is easy, hard, or even fun to begin with

In other words it's real bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KingSlime posted:

XB2 is good if you like mmo style combat

In other words it's real bad

It doesn’t really play like an MMO, you do way to much stuff.

The first one is more MMO.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Cavauro posted:

its fun, trust me

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I edited my response to include a little more detail, that was pretty much my experience with 20 hours of it and that's when I dropped it. I don't doubt it gets better later but by then I was over not just the combat, but the story and characters as well

I guess it wasn't for me

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

KingSlime posted:

I edited my response to include a little more detail, that was pretty much my experience with 20 hours of it and that's when I dropped it. I don't doubt it gets better later but by then I was over not just the combat, but the story and characters as well

I guess it wasn't for me

Yeah, I put ~220 in overall. Even though I liked it a lot it's a hard one to recommend because it's not really a 'something for everyone' kind of game. You might bounce hard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Combat has less going on than the average MMO which is an indictment of both things

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

Combat has less going on than the average MMO which is an indictment of both things

I mean if you don’t really play any MMOs, then sure

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

XB2 is...fine. I was personally kind of disappointed by it. XB1 is a far superior game to me. It's a pretty damning indictment if the DLC is far superior to the base game (And it is, I thought the DLC was pretty good!).

Now Octopath, that's a hell of a game. If you're gonna get one JRPG on the Switch, absolutely get that one instead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you don’t really play any MMOs, then sure

You get 9 abilities to directly control and auto attacks. There is no real positioning needed in the game so most fights just involve getting comfy in a spot and never budging*. Those 9 abilities are basically all some variation of damage, healing, or tanking with no buffs/stance changes/effect swaps/or really debuffs. Debuffs are an absolute mess of an overcomplicated system. By around the half way point the actual damage you deal with auto attacks or abilities is almost irrelevant as enemy HP is hyper inflated because of the combo system. You have to play a minigame with the chain system to do real damage and can easily knock bosses out in a single chain but its an obviously solved problem so it becomes busy work the second time you do it.

*They tried with healing vials but that does not work well at all

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea sorry chums but the combat system in XB2 is like a math assignment that once solved is just a mundane chore repeated over and over ad nauseum, except this time with a 10 million HP crab, and this time with a 20 million HP dinosaur, and this time with a boss you beat but in the following cutscene actually beats you. I think my overall feelings of XB2 is I tried so hard to like the game but it tried so hard to get me to not like it.

I liked the music a lot, I liked the environments and that they tried to make the world feel lived in. The maps and directions were abysmal. The systems were completely overdone and I imagine most players ignored most systems or just somewhat randomly made choices. Quests were often strange and more likely tedious. Gatcha mechanics were absurd and lame but I managed to luck out and get the guys I needed quickly. 40 hours in and I felt like the game designers were trying to get me to quit.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 4, 2018

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Barudak posted:

this; in other words, it's 1) bad and 2) your average contemporary JRPG

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I don't think Ive posted since getting my Satisfye grip in, but if you are on the fence about it I would say get it. It has helped reduce the fatigue in my wrist that I was getting from playing undocked and just makes playing more comfortable. It takes a bit to get used to the one side being bigger than the other, but I have had no complaints after the initial 30 minutes or so it took me to grow accustom to it. Its easy to put on and take off so the fact that it doesnt fit the dock isnt really an issue. I may try the Skull and Co grip at some point in the future, but for now I am happy enough with this one to wait.

Edit: Oh yeah, the little rubber nubs that come with it are garbage, go ahead and trash those because they arent worth the time it takes to cram them on the joy con sticks.

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 4, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Fire Emblem Warriors is all of $30AUD at Target right now.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Xenoblade Chronicles was better and you should just go ahead and get that for the DS instead. If you gotta have more then get the second but know it isn't the same game.

I would love another port of the first one because I would definitely buy it a third time.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I enjoyed XB2 but got burned out after 30 hours or so. A little too titty anime for my tastes. I think it would be more enjoyable if they trimed the fat a little.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 4, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elderbean posted:

I think it would be more enjoyable if they trimed the fat a little.

enemy to titty

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Which Octopath characters have abilities that won't make me mad I'm stuck having them in my party? ie who should I start with?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Argue posted:

Which Octopath characters have abilities that won't make me mad I'm stuck having them in my party? ie who should I start with?

The thief, Therion. He has the only unique out of combat skill and if hes not in your party youll be pissed everytime you encounter his skill check.

He also counterintuitively hits like a loving truck

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Argue posted:

start with therion because he's the only one who gets to unlock purple chests

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Counterpoint: There's nothing of real value in any purple chest until the very end of the game and Therion is hella lame. Also Steal is directly inferior to Purchase with the very, very rare exception of items that can only be stolen.

Best bets are:
Tressa: Purchase + constant flow of money (both passive and active), Merchant is an absurdly good class for the entire game and one of the strongest class combos at the end of the game. Also her story is fun and cute.
Alfyn: Best unique combat ability in the game without question, has tons of multi-class potential and is always useful.
Primrose: Dancer is super good for almost all of the game and she multi-classes into a bunch of roles really well.

Mainly, don't pick H'aanit because her story is pretty awful, her unique abilities are hilariously bad, and Hunter is a pretty meh class outside of 1 skill.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 4, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's important to be honest with yourself. You would want to unlock all of those purple chests even if you knew with certainty that every single one of them was empty.

Therion is the only one whose path action can be used outside of towns, and you can only change your party in towns, so if you can't decide, you might as well go with him.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Switch has spoiled the poo poo out of me in that regard. Quickly jumping in and out of games at any time is an amazing feature that deserves more praise.

:agreed:

I can't go back to a console that doesn't allow me to just suspend the gameplay at my every whim. Or on a console I can't pick up and carry to the shitter for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Really anyone but H'aanit is fine.

The Lobster posted:

:agreed:

I can't go back to a console that doesn't allow me to just suspend the gameplay at my every whim. Or on a console I can't pick up and carry to the shitter for that matter.

Yeah! I like going out on my porch when the weather is nice.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 4, 2018