Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
poo poo getting wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

La préfecture de Haute-Loire, au Puy-en-Velay, a été incendiée lors d'un rassemblement de "gilets jaunes" qui a dégénéré mais le feu était "circonscrit" samedi soir, selon la préfecture. Des personnes ont "lancé des projectiles enflammés de type cocktail Molotov" qui ont déclenché des feux dans la préfecture et dans d'autres locaux administratifs voisins, a précisé une porte parole de la préfecture.

So that happened.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I for one have to applaud the restraint (or the ignorance?) of the demonstrators today.

This morning as we marched across Paris we went by the buildings of several important institutions (Conseil d'Etat, Cour des Comptes, Ministère de la Justice) and not only was there not a single cop protecting them, but even then the crowd didn't do poo poo.

Will Act IV be the one where it all goes up in smoke? probably not but I hope they're starting to get the picture

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i was wondering if you demonstrated flowers, cool!
how's the mood?
People I talked to are generally in support (except for damages I guess)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 1, 2018

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Yeah I'll post pictures and gifs after I've pixelated the faces of the dudes smashing cop cars and preparing handmade explosives and such

I got a few lungfuls of gas and lemme tell you it clears out your nose in a couple seconds, so it's perfect when you've got a cold

Mostly the mood was angry but mindful of private property for the first few hours, basically until we reached the place de l'Etoile, then it got angry and confused when the cops started raining gas on people just to get them to leave. Most people were just there to vent and somehow I feel like today hasn't made their mood any better, because as far as I could tell on the place de l'Etoile the cops were the clear initiators of the violence.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Then I left at around 2 PM because I had to go to a concert with the missus and, well, you know

Wish I could have stayed, I'll definitely stay for the whole day next week

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Christophe Castaner a de nouveau demandé aux manifestants de ne plus "se laisser embarquer dans les violences par les casseurs".

haha what a poo poo

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

unpacked robinhood posted:

haha what a poo poo

https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/1069127463220011008

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1069150703334187008

C'est pas parce qu'on fonce droit vers un mur derrière lequel se trouve le grand canyon qu'on va changer de cap, tout de même

Kassad fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 2, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
feels very july monarchy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Whats happening today, i hear the gov is meeting with a bunch of gilets jaunes and party leaders ?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ive never felt so excited about something happening in this country

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/Europe1/status/1069487472172720129?s=19

:stare:

Since when do they even have spokepersons

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 3, 2018

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

The guy's been making the rounds as a "spokeperson" for the movement in Vaucluse. He's real fashy and a relentless self-promoter so both the pro-establishment and the OAS-friendly press are keen to have him on (for different reasons obviously)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lol what

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Boulangisme quand tu nous tiens

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Loads of great photos here

Kurtofan posted:

Whats happening today, i hear the gov is meeting with a bunch of gilets jaunes and party leaders ?

Idk what a reunion of out of touch grifters is supposed to achieve.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 3, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

lost in postation posted:

The guy's been making the rounds as a "spokeperson" for the movement in Vaucluse. He's real fashy and a relentless self-promoter so both the pro-establishment and the OAS-friendly press are keen to have him on (for different reasons obviously)

lol figures

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Tha's the problem with all these movements that claim to be apolitical and not to have leaders or ideologies beyond just complaining about their pet issue. We are not a hiveminded species. We do need to have some people to speak with, and so it's going to be the relentless self-promoters who are going to step into the vacuum they deliberately kept.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cat Mattress posted:

Tha's the problem with all these movements that claim to be apolitical and not to have leaders or ideologies beyond just complaining about their pet issue. We are not a hiveminded species. We do need to have some people to speak with, and so it's going to be the relentless self-promoters who are going to step into the vacuum they deliberately kept.
Yeah this. Go find a decent spokesperson or the biggest possible rear end in a top hat will give themselves that role. Direct democracy and actively avoiding having one leader is nice and all, but not even having a vetted spokesperson isn't possible without some serious preparation to avoid being co-opted.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
C'est fou qu'après 40 ans de saccage néolibéral, les gens ne soient même pas capables de formuler clairement leurs demandes de façon productive et responsable.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 3, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

unpacked robinhood posted:

C'est fou qu'après 40 ans de saccage néolibéral, les gens ne soient même pas capables de formuler clairement leurs demandes de façon productive et responsable.
Maybe lern 2 policy you dumb poors lmao

Nobody is blaming "dumb poors", rather speaking out about the self appointed leaders-grifters
A collectif of gilets jaunes have also criticized some of the "spokepeople making the rounds for hijacking the movement for personal causes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Nobody is blaming "dumb poors", rather speaking out about the self appointed leaders-grifters
A collectif of gilets jaunes have also criticized some of the "spokepeople making the rounds for hijacking the movement for personal causes

I don't think we can necessarily expect the gilets jaunes to have a spokeperson when it's such a wide variety of pissed off people.
(I edited out the pointless dig before you posted.)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So what does a weakening and unpopular Macron do? Galvanize right wing parties and persons or the left? Who stands to benefit most next election?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Why the h*ck would we need spokespeople or representatives when the messages are chanted loud and clear in the streets: « Macron démission »,« Rends l’argent » and « BFM enculés »

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Shammypants posted:

So what does a weakening and unpopular Macron do? Galvanize right wing parties and persons or the left? Who stands to benefit most next election?

you'd think it'd be Le Pen, but she just came out against raising the minimum wage to €1300 monthly, and that's one of the big policy planks of the gilets jaunes, so who the gently caress knows

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ElNarez posted:

you'd think it'd be Le Pen, but she just came out against raising the minimum wage to €1300 monthly, and that's one of the big policy planks of the gilets jaunes, so who the gently caress knows
For reference, it would be an increase of 115,07 € on the minimum wage assuming you are 18+ and on a 35 hours schedule. It's currently around 9,88 € /hour brut (before the social charges).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Why the h*ck would we need spokespeople or representatives when the messages are chanted loud and clear in the streets: « Macron démission »,« Rends l’argent » and « BFM enculés »

Yeah thats kind of what i feel like about the subject

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Caught up on this thread after some time of not following. That school comment is super depressing. I studied here and learned the language while studying because of the cheap price. And now look, I live here, am applying for citizenship, and am working in your high schools to get your kids up to scratch with the English language! Without that price... well, I probably would've stayed in the States or looked elsewhere.

I didn't even realize this was possible for Americans outside of places like Asia. I guess it's not anymore.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There's plenty of expats but less than in Asia since not as many want to be bothered to learn French and in Asia they don't seem to pressure you as much to learn their languages.

I didn't know the language coming here and while I still can't write it without messing up constantly I speak it well enough to work.

But it's not an easy thing to do. Had I known the difficulty I totally wouldn't have bothered.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e:
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1069850181141741568

Legit curious about next saturday.

unrelated
https://twitter.com/ZGAplease/status/1069784639751909376

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 4, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

French Politics: the gilet jaune sighed as he drew his baguette

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 4, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

AceOfFlames posted:

French Politics: the gilet jaune sighed as he unsheathed his baguette

uphold goonist-neckbeardist thought.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Apparently the gas tax is being put off now?

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
Really ? But, nous ne changerons pas de cap car le cap est bon, right ?

AceOfFlames posted:

French Politics: the gilet jaune sighed as he unsheathed his bagette

:discourse:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Llyd posted:

Really ? But, nous ne changerons pas de cap car le cap est bon, right ?
:discourse:

C'était sur le bbc que le PM l'a annoncé. Je ne vais jamais comprendre la politique française.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

French Politics: the gilet jaune sighed as he unsheathed his baguette
Fixed. At least spell bagUette correctly.
Edit: also i will laugh if some Gilet Jaunes keep manifesting asking for Macron's resignation.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 4, 2018

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

C'était sur le bbc que le PM l'a annoncé. Je ne vais jamais comprendre la politique française.

So it seems, but that's just a temporary suspension.

https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2018/12/04/gilets-jaunes-l-executif-face-a-l-urgence_5392235_3224.html posted:

Les « gilets jaunes » se montrent prudents sur l’annonce de cette suspension de plusieurs mois. Benjamin Cauchy, l’une des figures du mouvement a salué « une première étape ». Mais « les Français ne veulent pas des miettes, ils veulent la baguette au complet », a-t-il déclaré à l’AFP en réclamant des « états généraux de la fiscalité », « une nouvelle répartition des richesses en France » et l’instauration de « référendums réguliers sur les grands enjeux sociétaux ». Le moratoire est « une cacahuète », a estimé pour sa part Laetitia Dewall, porte-parole des « gilets jaunes » du Val-d’Oise.

:france::france::france:
Yeah, give us the whole baguette :love:.

Llyd fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 4, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

A tgv to normandy would be nice, too.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Okay, i may point out something but the magazine Marianne made an article recently about Macron's presidential bid donations and over half of it come from a group of just under 1000 french donators, a surprising number of them living in England (tax dodgers?), who maxed out their donation potential. So it kinda make sense he uses the BBC, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Okay, i may point out something but the magazine Marianne made an article recently about Macron's presidential bid donations and over half of it come from a group of just under 1000 french donators, a surprising number of them living in England (tax dodgers?), who maxed out their donation potential. So it kinda make sense he uses the BBC, really.

For all their faults, France's grandes écoles/écoles préparatoires are quite good at producing people proficient with math/finance and used to overwork.
And the City is quite good at recruiting them for finance jobs by offering them tons of gold (and a favorable tax scheme, indeed).
Those people probably have a shrine to Jupiter in their living rooms and enough money to support him.