Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Iron Crowned posted:

And that is the worst song ever written.

"Ebony and Ivory" and "Say Say Say" both want a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

"Ebony and Ivory" and "Say Say Say" both want a word with you.

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjLgjtJKsc

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Eric Clapton is only good in collaborations where his name isn't in the name of the group. Cream, Beatles, Blind Faith, Derek & the Dominoes. On his own he makes the musical equivalent of a limp, impotent dick.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imagined posted:

Eric Clapton is only good in collaborations where his name isn't in the name of the group. Cream, Beatles, Blind Faith, Derek & the Dominoes. On his own he makes the musical equivalent of a limp, impotent dick.

I like Tears in Heaven :ohdearsass:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Randaconda posted:

:flaccid:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, solo Clapton is like the music some clueless dude makes because he thinks it'll get girls wet, but it never works

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
Syncronize Swatches, yo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcJwmddvSPc

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

Tears in Heaven is the first meta-dub step song.

It's about a sick drop.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7GmolHTd4

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OutOfPrint posted:

It's about a sick drop.

:randvince:

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

OutOfPrint posted:

It's about a sick drop.

Holy guacamole

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

It's about a sick drop.

:aaaaa:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

OutOfPrint posted:

Oh poo poo someone else who could hear that. People thought I was crazy because I could hear a TV that was on and muted's sine wave buzzing from a room away.

On a CRT it's the horizontal retrace circuit, meaning it's ~15.7kHz the whole time the TV is switched on.

LCDs also make high-pitched whining for different reasons, particularly if you display a lot of thin horizontal lines.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Iron Crowned posted:

We don't talk about It's Pat for a reason.

I listen to Hair Nation a lot on SiriusXM and the version of Ugly Kid Joe's "Everything About You" they always play is the one with Pat talking over the intro...

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Wonderful Tonight owns, actually

hth
It doesn't. It was, however, my prom theme, so even 20+ years after its release it was still the soundtrack to feels being copped.

Content: After I read The Big Short (and loved the movie), I looked up more info on the author and found out he's married to Tabitha Soren from MTV News. My 14-year-old self would have jumped for joy to find out she's into huge nerds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, solo Clapton is like the music some clueless dude makes because he thinks it'll get girls wet, but it never works

Well, it worked with Pattie Boyd.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

Were you a teenage girl in the 90s?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Well, it worked with Pattie Boyd.

"Layla" was with Derek and the Dominos, i.e. not solo Clapton.

:goonsay:

Edit: and actually that song is the perfect example of the principle since the dickless solo-Clapton unplugged version was also a hit even though it's garbage that eviscerates the passion that makes the original great.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Dec 1, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Imagined posted:

:goonsay:

Everyone collectively forgot about that when Clapton Unplugged happened :barf:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Imagined posted:

I believe the hawt take on "Layla" for many years has been that it's actually Duane Allman who makes it great, but I completely bombed out when I tried to learn the guitar a few years ago so I can't tell the tonal or sonic differences between Clapton's Strat and Allman's Les Paul and consequently don't know exactly who's playing what. So that might be a load of rubbish. :v:

My favourite album with Clapton on it is that Delaney and Bonnie live album he was on.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe the hawt take on "Layla" for many years has been that it's actually Duane Allman who makes it great, but I completely bombed out when I tried to learn the guitar a few years ago so I can't tell the tonal or sonic differences between Clapton's Strat and Allman's Les Paul and consequently don't know exactly who's playing what. So that might be a load of rubbish. :v:

My favourite album with Clapton on it is that Delaney and Bonnie live album he was on.

I was just reading the wikipedia article on it and yeah, Clapton credits Allman with the signature riff and with turning it into a rocker instead of a ballad. This is why Clapton needs people around who are as good or better than him. His talent is there but his instincts are hosed. He's like the George Lucas of music.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Iron Crowned posted:

SNL was a powerhouse from 1990-1995. You had Kevin Nealon, Chris Rock, Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Troy McClure, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Tim Meadows, and Norm MacDonald.

It was a severe letdown in 1996 when they canned everyone and you had Will Farrell and Colin Quinn as your standouts.

It really bothers me that you called him Troy McClure instead of Phil Hartman, and for some reason it bothers me more that nobody else seems to have caught it. SHAME ON YOU ALL.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Space Cadet posted:

It really bothers me that you called him Troy McClure instead of Phil Hartman, and for some reason it bothers me more that nobody else seems to have caught it. SHAME ON YOU ALL.

You might remember him from such shows as Newsradio, The Simpsons, and Saturday Night Live.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Imagined posted:

Yeah, but Wonderful Tonight didn’t make her up and leave him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Clapton made his name playing his own version of American blues, then his first solo hit was a cover of a Bob Marley song, then he went on stage drunk in the 70s and started ranting about how we need to "Keep Britain White" and he's since spent the last 40 years insisting that Enoch Powell wasn't a great big racist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish I was old enough to understand how great Phil Hartman was in the 90s.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never watched SNL so I only knew him as the guy that plays slimy villains in comedies and I still loved him.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

OutOfPrint posted:

Oh poo poo someone else who could hear that. People thought I was crazy because I could hear a TV that was on and muted's sine wave buzzing from a room away.

Yeah, I could hear that poo poo too.

I once told one of my teachers "the TV is on" he looked at me like I had two heads, so I got up and turned it off.

THen he looked at me like I had three.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Space Cadet posted:

I cuaght it, but only read that particular post a few minutes ago.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Space Cadet posted:

I noticed it and I was gonna say something but I decided it was intentional as a joke

I missed my chance to shine

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuSYZsyLzBk

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's another musician who seemed to go to pot as a player in the 90s: Vivian Campbell. He played all the leads on Holy Diver then from 1992 onwards he's been content to be Phil Collen's accompanist in Def Leppard.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

While watching all these commercials for opulent Christmas presents, I have suddenly gotten nostalgic.

For the Salad Shooter, which used to air every Christmas season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvL-I3Dfeqc

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, I could hear that poo poo too.

I once told one of my teachers "the TV is on" he looked at me like I had two heads, so I got up and turned it off.

THen he looked at me like I had three.

I used to irritate my parents when I was a kid by saying "There's a TV on somewhere" if any TV was on in the house. They would insist that I was wrong but I'd find which one it was. I could even hear the one in the basement from upstairs. It was maddening.

It's funny. My mid-range hearing is terrible now. I have trouble hearing people speak and, if there is background noise, I'm basically deaf. A dishwasher, an idling truck, that sort of thing. I have to tell people to face me when they talk if there's background noise so I can read their lips. Hearing damage due to heavy equipment noise with no hearing protection when I was a teen.

However, I'm 40 years old and can still hear up to about 17,000 Hz. If you're 5 feet from me, I can't understand you unless you speak up, but I can hear some laptop power supplies from 50 feet.

I thought age was supposed to drop me below 12,000 Hz so I don't have to hear that crap any more.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
https://youtu.be/ol4OSIGGukA

LSD: Dream Emulator - a PS1 game that's supposed to be an exploration of a dream world.

This comes from a very 90s place. The ethos is virtual reality as a means of escaping reality and exploring the mind, a la Lawnmower Man. The soundtrack is fairly typical mid-90s electronica (this was the catch-all term for electronic music before someone coined EDM, kids!) - the post-rave experimentation with psychedelics and introversion fits the game very nicely. The moraliser-baiting title was a marketing technique invented by Sega for the Genesis and borrowed by Sony for the original PlayStation. 'Edginess' was a way of distancing themselves from Nintendo.

And of course you have the terrible 3D graphics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mostlygray posted:

I used to irritate my parents when I was a kid by saying "There's a TV on somewhere" if any TV was on in the house. They would insist that I was wrong but I'd find which one it was. I could even hear the one in the basement from upstairs. It was maddening.

It's funny. My mid-range hearing is terrible now. I have trouble hearing people speak and, if there is background noise, I'm basically deaf. A dishwasher, an idling truck, that sort of thing. I have to tell people to face me when they talk if there's background noise so I can read their lips. Hearing damage due to heavy equipment noise with no hearing protection when I was a teen.

However, I'm 40 years old and can still hear up to about 17,000 Hz. If you're 5 feet from me, I can't understand you unless you speak up, but I can hear some laptop power supplies from 50 feet.

I thought age was supposed to drop me below 12,000 Hz so I don't have to hear that crap any more.

I'm the same way with smells. My parents would always have salmon sandwiches on Sundays and could smell that anywhere in the house. Same with paint.

even now I someone burns toast in the break room I can smell it in the office.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This instagram account is pretty 90s, most of the time

https://www.instagram.com/markvomit/

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Iron Crowned posted:

And that is the worst song ever written.

Sugar sugar

Oh honey honey

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Smoking Crow posted:

Sugar sugar

Oh honey honey

:imunfunny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KTbSXiEul4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU