Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I too want an Oglaf sourcebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I too want an Oglaf sourcebook

This but unironically

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is this a call for a 5e Book of Erotic Fantasies?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Wyvernil posted:

I don't think elves could become druids back then (this was back when class restrictions for races was still a thing - I believe 3rd edition was where they officially dropped that).

Though IIRC high-level druids could level up by defeating a higher-ranked druid in a duel.

In core 2e, only humans and half-elves could become druids. Elves couldn't. D&D back in the day was bonkers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ritorix posted:

Btw the AL had these the estimates along with their post extending the current season through next August.

Got a link to this?

Nm. :rip: AL

http://dndadventurersleague.org/in-which-we-talk-about-season-schedules/

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 4, 2018

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
D&D was really only designed to go to level 9-10 and everything above that was intended to be domain management and epic level type stuff. Spells capped at 5th level before power creep from supplements came along and ruined the game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

I guess Waterdeep just caves in then. Undermountain is literally its support structure. GG WotC your terrible writers strike again.

None of Undermountain collapses. Just his tower, which is a Demiplane in Undermountain.

Malpais Legate posted:

gently caress Waterdeep.

And the rest of Forgotten Realms, to be honest.

Why

And I don't know why so many people are saying we don't have any high level content, when Dungeon of the Mad Mage is a 5 to 20 Adventure. And Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes came out which has a lot of high level monsters. (Over half the creatures are CR 10 or higher.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 4, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Because it's an overplayed setting written by and for people who think that memorising fanwikis compensates for their lack of imagination.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlphaDog posted:

Because it's an overplayed setting written by and for people who think that memorising fanwikis compensates for their lack of imagination.

Ya, make us some more Dragonlance, pls.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Ya, make us some more Dragonlance, pls.

Dragonlance is just as bad*. Concept's twice as interesting but that's cancelled out by Raistlin being twice as cringeworthy as Drizzt.

Both now have the same key flaw of all the interesting blanks having already been filled in (and sometimes retconned empty then re-filled).

Both would benefit from being blown up, burned down, or sunk into the ocean. Or in the case of DL just set it in the part of history where all that's just happened and all the maps are wrong now and you can't walk 10 miles without tripping over something weird or at minimum some ruins.

*Source: I was a dragonlance kid. I had the book with the songs and recipes and everything.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

AlphaDog posted:

Dragonlance is just as bad*. Concept's twice as interesting but that's cancelled out by Raistlin being twice as cringeworthy as Drizzt.

Both now have the same key flaw of all the interesting blanks having already been filled in (and sometimes retconned empty then re-filled).

Both would benefit from being blown up, burned down, or sunk into the ocean. Or in the case of DL just set it in the part of history where all that's just happened and all the maps are wrong now and you can't walk 10 miles without tripping over something weird or at minimum some ruins.

*Source: I was a dragonlance kid. I had the book with the songs and recipes and everything.

:hmmyes:

As fond as my memories of Dragonlance are, I never want to revisit those novels or I'll realize how poo poo my taste was as a child.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlphaDog posted:

Ya, make us some more Greyhawk, pls.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I hate Dragonlance (as a gameplay setting I have zero opinion on the fiction because I haven't read it!) just because of Kender and Gully Dwarves. Especially Kender though because they're more player facing and while it might work fine in a book having a character choice that is "be an rear end in a top hat to your entire party and then say 'but I'm just playing my character!'" the race is horseshit.

Edit: It's also not Spelljammer give me Spelljammer dammit. Actually wait don't I saw the boat rules they put out recently.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Double post

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Malpais Legate posted:

As fond as my memories of Dragonlance are, I never want to revisit those novels or I'll realize how poo poo my taste was as a child.

Your taste was exactly what you'd expect of a kid, which is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of unless you're now out of your teens and still trying to convince people that whatever thing you were obsessed with is Actually Really Good, Actually.

The first DL novels are somewhat interesting to re-read because they're a representation of what a story-centric D&D game looked like in the 80s, which means you can practically hear the dice rolling as you read. They're very bad novels though.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Ya, make us some more Greyhawk, pls.

Nah just do something new instead.

Glagha posted:

Edit: It's also not Spelljammer give me Spelljammer dammit. Actually wait don't I saw the boat rules they put out recently.

Spelljammer but there's no existing settings you can travel to, the boat rules are "yaaaar prepare to be boarded" and everyone's some flavor of magic space swashbuckler.

E: also the balls out weird stuff is played up, not played down. You have a sailing ship iiiin spaaaaace but those guys over there have a big ol' spider looking spaceship and these other dudes drive undead space whales and those guys are gun nut hippo men with a stolen hamsterdrive and all this is 100% normal.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 5, 2018

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Malpais Legate posted:

Counterpoint, give me a gully dwarf race and associated campaign.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are we due UA? They've moved it and disappointed with it enough that I'm not sure when it happens now.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I like Forgotten Realms. If you take out all the “famous” NPCs it’s a perfectly good setting. :colbert:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

AlphaDog posted:

Your taste was exactly what you'd expect of a kid, which is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of unless you're now out of your teens and still trying to convince people that whatever thing you were obsessed with is Actually Really Good, Actually.

The first DL novels are somewhat interesting to re-read because they're a representation of what a story-centric D&D game looked like in the 80s, which means you can practically hear the dice rolling as you read. They're very bad novels though.

Yeah, that was poorly phrased. I really mean I just don't want to ruin the rose-colored memories of the original three books.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Hey so I'm pretty new to D&D and I have some weird questions about how a few things interact. I'm playing a Goliath Fighter and my friend is playing a Gnome Wizard, and I thought of a dumb plan to help protect his character.

If we were to construct a small harness behind the Goliath's head that the Gnome could get in, and cast Enlarge on the Goliath from, we'd have a 3ft gnome on a 15 foot Goliath. I know that much, but, if you were DM at least, what else would that do?

Would the Gnome be >5 feet away from melee enemies, at least from some angles? Would you allow the Gnome to get cover using the Goliath's head and pauldrons? Would we basically be using mount rules for mounting/dismounting/forced movement? Obviously it's entirely up to the DMs judgement but I'm not experienced enough to decide whether, even with his approval, it would be a strong option for certain encounters or a giant waste of everyone's time.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gentleman Baller posted:

Hey so I'm pretty new to D&D and I have some weird questions about how a few things interact. I'm playing a Goliath Fighter and my friend is playing a Gnome Wizard, and I thought of a dumb plan to help protect his character.

If we were to construct a small harness behind the Goliath's head that the Gnome could get in, and cast Enlarge on the Goliath from, we'd have a 3ft gnome on a 15 foot Goliath. I know that much, but, if you were DM at least, what else would that do?

Would the Gnome be >5 feet away from melee enemies, at least from some angles? Would you allow the Gnome to get cover using the Goliath's head and pauldrons? Would we basically be using mount rules for mounting/dismounting/forced movement? Obviously it's entirely up to the DMs judgement but I'm not experienced enough to decide whether, even with his approval, it would be a strong option for certain encounters or a giant waste of everyone's time.

Playing master blaster owns and would be cool so its a really good check of if you have a fun or lame GM if they allow it or not and/or if they apply lovely restrictive rules on it. There are basically no proper rules for this other than trying to adapt the closest thing you can so mount rules maybe kinda apply.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 5, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah, that was poorly phrased. I really mean I just don't want to ruin the rose-colored memories of the original three books.

I don't really believe you can ruin memories like that. The '80s Transformers cartoon was objectively garbage but gently caress if watching an episode with my kid retroactively ruins the experience I had when I was 8.

The original 3 Dragonlance novels are perfectly serviceable teen-focused game-tie-in fantasy novels. They weren't good at the time, and the world has moved on so much since the mid '80s that they now look bad, but they're not irredeemably awful. Same as the Drizzt stories, kinda.

Then the whole thing gets run directly into the ground with 180+ shamelessly bad cash-ins, which are by and for the people who need to know exactly how things turned out for the sister (mentioned once) of the one guy (also mentioned once) who once listened to one of the protagonists wax nostalgic about potatoes. (spoiler alert: It was the most generic and boring possible result).

Gentleman Baller posted:

That's a cool idea.

But if you start loving around with cover and reach mechanics like this, it'll be a giant waste of everyone's time and probably give lame, boring results too.

Just make it so it means the gnome usually doesn't get targeted by melee, which you're practically guaranteed to be doing anyway in that gentleman's-agreement-not-to-melee-the-wizard way that this game relies on.

Narrate riding the huge barbarian around raining acid fire on your enemies and being awesome.

Maybe if he gets knocked over you both have to use your move after he stands up to mount up again.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 5, 2018

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The gnome would get at least half cover from the goliath according to the basic rules.

quote:

A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall, a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend.

If you engineer the platform defensively enough to cover 3/4 of the gnome he could even get 3/4 cover.

quote:

A target has three-quarters cover if about three-quarters of it is covered by an obstacle. The obstacle might be a portcullis, an arrow slit, or a thick tree trunk.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

kingcom posted:

Playing master blaster owns and would be cool so its a really good check of if you have a fun or lame GM if they allow it or not and/or if they apply lovely restrictive rules on it. There are basically no proper rules for this other than trying to adapt the closest thing you can so mount rules maybe kinda apply.

Holy moly yes! :getin:

AlphaDog posted:

That's a cool idea.

But if you start loving around with cover and reach mechanics like this, it'll be a giant waste of everyone's time and probably give lame, boring results too.

Just make it so it means the gnome usually doesn't get targeted by melee, which you're practically guaranteed to be doing anyway in that gentleman's-agreement-not-to-melee-the-wizard way that this game relies on.

Narrate riding the huge barbarian around raining acid fire on your enemies and being awesome.

Maybe if he gets knocked over you both have to use your move after he stands up to mount up again.

Yeah I definitely don't want to slow everything down like that. I think the DM would go for a gentleman's agreement, or maybe a flat bonus to the Gnome's AC or something just to make sure we don't bog everything down.

Thanks, everyone.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gentleman Baller posted:

Holy moly yes! :getin:

Yeah I definitely don't want to slow everything down like that. I think the DM would go for a gentleman's agreement, or maybe a flat bonus to the Gnome's AC or something just to make sure we don't bog everything down.

Thanks, everyone.

AOEs would hit you both and anything with reach more than 5ft would hit him easily, and he'd be in danger's path all the time. Seems like its pretty risky to begin with, can't see a GM having a problem with.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to start loving around with the implications of range/reach applied vertically (or worse, diagonally/vertically), and I goddamn guarantee that poo poo is gonna get stupid if you start caring about 3d aoe.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Just count the gnome as out of melee for casting purposes unless something is intentionally targeting him. He likely doesn't care but no opportunity attacks while up there.

And if they have different dex save results from an aoe he's dismounted.

Flavor is there, he gets to avoid an obnoxious rule he could mostly feat out of anyway, and the dm has a way to mess with the gnome when he wants to.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlphaDog posted:

The gentleman's agreement is only there for the "I am barbarian tank hurrr" player to feel useful.

Wizards have Shield, Misty Step, and fifteen other forms of teleport or crowd control as gently caress right off mechanisms. They don't give a gently caress if the baddies gun for them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

The gentleman's agreement is only there for the "I am barbarian tank hurrr" player to feel useful.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Pleads posted:

Counterpoint, give me a gully dwarf race and associated campaign.

Gully dwarves are kinda stupid conceptually, but they never got the hate that kender got because they're genuinely underdogs in a world that hates them and gives them no respect. I like that about them.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Hey hivemind I'd never read much Eberron before and now I'm frankensteining it into my campaign don't dogpile me for my poo poo choices please. What are the best modules or books (any edition) that have something unique to Eberron? What are the definitive Eberron books?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

clusterfuck posted:

Hey hivemind I'd never read much Eberron before and now I'm frankensteining it into my campaign don't dogpile me for my poo poo choices please. What are the best modules or books (any edition) that have something unique to Eberron? What are the definitive Eberron books?

Keith Baker the creator of Eberron and Wizards fairly recently released a PDF that is a good starting point.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/247882/Wayfinders-Guide-to-Eberron-5e?src=newest_in_5e

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: Settings, I liked Basic D&D's known world. It's got the human culture analogue thing going with most of its nations, but it never got the mass popularity so the setting isn't overwhelmed by high level NPCs who're having all the fun.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

clusterfuck posted:

I doubt you'll get much hate for eberron here.

Both the 3.5 and 4e campaign books are fine to get started on the setting.

I played through (didn't DM) one game, probably a module, with a magic train that was cool as hell. Don't know what it was called.

Angrymog posted:

re: Settings, I liked Basic D&D's known world. It's got the human culture analogue thing going with most of its nations, but it never got the mass popularity so the setting isn't overwhelmed by high level NPCs who're having all the fun.

Know World / Hollow World owns for a generic-ish d&d setting.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

clusterfuck posted:

Eberrowns is the best so idk what you're worried about.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kingcom posted:

Eberrowns is the best so idk what you're worried about.
It sounds like the eberron may be diluted by some not eberron content.

Serious post probably thought the stuff being hated on about dragonlance and FR also applied to eberron

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

It sounds like the eberron may be diluted by some not eberron content.

Serious post probably thought the stuff being hated on about dragonlance and FR also applied to eberron

I was gonna ask "well, does it?" but apparently nah.

Because I would have assumed that with ~40 fiction books it might have the exact same problems. But then I went and looked and there's over three hundred loving Forgotten Realms books. :catstare:

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Nah I meant that I'm choosing to use Eberron content but in an existing setting that isn't really Eberron. I know there's a lot of love for Eberron in this place. What I've read looks amazing fun so I'm basically taking the five nations and a lot of the post war tension and jamming it all into a different geography. I like the idea of using the demonic incursion from Out of the Abyss and giving the players the choice of the Eberron nations (plus the others already there from the existing setting) to find their allies to fight the demons.

I half seriously thought some Eberron purists might be mad at my Frankensteining. I just really want to see an army of halflings on dinosaurs fighting demons allied with ghouls (darakhul) enhanced with warforged tech. I also like the idea of the party making big diplomatic choices on which of the five+ nations they work with. It's such a fun setting I think they'll love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Keith Baker the creator of Eberron and Wizards fairly recently released a PDF that is a good starting point.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/247882/Wayfinders-Guide-to-Eberron-5e?src=newest_in_5e

Yes I'm reading that now, it's great. There's plenty to run with there. I guess I was wondering if there's some aspects that people who've done Eberron consider essential to getting it right.