Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Elysium posted:

The first Board Game Bar in my city opened up recently. I could have identified this as a decent opportunity in the market many years ago when they started popping up in other cities, but I wasn't about to try to navigate getting a godamn liquor license and opening an entire bar to try to take advantage of it.

To be fair you can also run into weird issues of not being allowed to serve drinks at a place where "games of chance" are being played due to weird licensing rules.

The local gamer bar managed to navigate that, but they still can't host LAN parties because of another clause about not having booze at arcades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

George H.W. oval office posted:

All the best BBQ spots here in Texas always start as some dude just smoking some meat for fun. Transitions to a pop up and eventually gets the following enough to open brick and mortar. Houston has a bbq scene that’s starting to really flourish and compete with Austin and the hill country. BBQ GWMGWL

My buddy was the head chef of the Pit Room as it launched down there. He's since moved along, but that's his reputation if you ever go check it out.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My buddy was the head chef of the Pit Room as it launched down there. He's since moved along, but that's his reputation if you ever go check it out.

Hell yea I’ve been meaning to go there since I’ve heard v good things.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elysium posted:

The first Board Game Bar in my city opened up recently. I could have identified this as a decent opportunity in the market many years ago when they started popping up in other cities, but I wasn't about to try to navigate getting a godamn liquor license and opening an entire bar to try to take advantage of it.

I always wonder how these places stay in business because the two business models have opposite drivers. Restaurants and bars make money by turning over tables multiple times a night, but having people chill for 3 hours playing games is not compatible with that.

I know a bunch of them charge admission or table fees or something, but it's weird for me. There are a lot of good restaurants around me. I go sometimes. There are a few good game stores around me with a deep library of demo games to play for free, but I never go there for that either.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

canyoneer posted:

I always wonder how these places stay in business because the two business models have opposite drivers. Restaurants and bars make money by turning over tables multiple times a night, but having people chill for 3 hours playing games is not compatible with that.

I know a bunch of them charge admission or table fees or something, but it's weird for me. There are a lot of good restaurants around me. I go sometimes. There are a few good game stores around me with a deep library of demo games to play for free, but I never go there for that either.

Those kinds of places usually don't serve kitchen food and instead serve super high margin items like from-frozen pizza, fries, hotdogs (or nothing), and rely on bar tabs to bring in revenue. They are also usually very lightly staffed compared to other similar sized places, which works because you don't really serve to the table at a gaming place.

I'm not sure if it's really a better model than anything else, but it can help you stand out I guess.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nocheez posted:

Not to mention the regular clientele in places like bars sucks rear end, and getting them more drunk makes you more money but then they act like bigger assholes. My family manages a bar for a fraternal organization and the stories I have heard about respected members acting like fools makes me never want to go near owning a place that serves alcohol primarily.

Our local barcade had to close because college nerds kept sneaking in bottles of airline liquor and flushing the evidence, causing tens of thousands of dollars in sewer system damage the owner was unable to afford.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Some content. I love scam descriptions. This one was a pretty convincing scam and OP doesn't seem like a giant doofus, but still BWM to wire money for an apartment sight unseen.

I believe I got scammed on Craiglist. Help please !!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a2sm1u/i_believe_i_got_scammed_on_craiglist_help_please/

quote:

I am so embarrassed to post this experience here but I have just encountered my first craigslist rental scam in my life ☹️☹️☹️I know it is probably not possible to get the money back but I still want to share my experience with you to prevent further damages. Looking for help from Reddit !!! It all started with me moving to San Francisco to start my new project in Jan 2019. I know there are plenty of new platforms for apartment hunting out there especially for San Francisco. However, I started my journey with Craigslist as usual, since Craigslist the platform for us to find apartment starting from our college times. I even bragged about myself being a Craigslist pro in front of my colleagues...

Anyways, I found this amazing 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartment on the Brannan St. San Francisco. So I emailed the owner Howard and requested more information about the apartment, then he got back to me in about two days. Meanwhile, I did my own research online to check if the apartment was legit. I even called the Brannan building reception desk to check if the unit is available for rent. After getting a positive answer from the reception desk, I started to talk with Howard over the phone. Howard has a midwestern accent, sounds like 60+ years old, very convincing and friendly. Howard told me that if I want to obtain the property, I needed to act fast since he had a lot of inquiries every day. He would not be able to show me the unit now since there were people living in there. Then Howard sent me the lease with the landlord's signature via email and asked me to wire the landlord security deposit plus the first month of rent ( which is $4500 in total). Then my brain just got smashed ... I trusted him ... just because he repeated many times that I need to take good care of the unit ... I have read the lease very carefully and it seems to be the standard California property lease. So I signed the lease and wired the money to the designated bank account listed. Then, I was waiting for further documents and confirmations from Howard.

One week later, Howard emailed me again to ask for more money. He claimed that the building management team requested a tenancy ID fee which is $2050 in total. I became a little suspicious of Howard's ask, so I called the reception desk of the Brannan again! The reception desk told me that there was a relocation/tenancy ID fee for new tenants ... Same time, Howard asked the actual landlord Mark to call me many times over the phone to make me believe that the fee was legitimate. Both the landlord and Howard assured me that once I wire the money, they were going to send me final documentation and check­-in details to the apartment. So my brain got smashed again, and I wired the money ... However, after Howard received all of the money I had wired, he and Mark Long just disappeared, no email or phone call could reach him.

Today, I found the exact same post appeared on craigslist again. I had about three hours of "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" moments ... $6550 just gone with the wind, which is my salary for two months ☹️☹️☹️as a start-up lady ... I filed an FBI IC3 complaint, an FTC complaint and reported to SFPD and Craigslist. Howard and Mark are still active on Craigslist as of today. I know it is probably impossible for me to get the money back, but I still wanna try my best here. So Reddit please help me here! Thanks <3

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Lockback posted:

Some content. I love scam descriptions. This one was a pretty convincing scam and OP doesn't seem like a giant doofus, but still BWM to wire money for an apartment sight unseen.

I believe I got scammed on Craiglist. Help please !!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a2sm1u/i_believe_i_got_scammed_on_craiglist_help_please/

Is the BWM the scam or thinking that renting an apartment for 2250 when you only make 3275 a month is a good idea?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Food trucks will always be better with money than regular restaurants because there's only so much you can lose in a truck. You may fail just as often, but it's after losing $50 - 100k instead of $250 - 500k.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Was in Texas and an arcade we went to had a great idea, 5 bucks to get in and all the games were free. You paid at min 5 bucks per drink and that's all they served. They were pretty busy the entire time we were there and overhead was tiny since it was just three people and no food. Seems like one way to get a business going steadily.

We have an arcade bar here that rents out the kitchen for new start-ups. Customers get a wide variety of food (it was polish cuisine when I went), and the risk is split between the establishment and the chefs testing their menu. It helps that food isn't the reason people come in. It's almost an afterthought, so they still make the vast majority of their money on games and booze. If the food sucks it's not likely to kill the business.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

To be fair you can also run into weird issues of not being allowed to serve drinks at a place where "games of chance" are being played due to weird licensing rules.

Ours ran into interesting zoning, especially the last one below. It’s generally pretty BWM to have a business plan that requires zoning changes but they made it work.

quote:

Founders asked for variances to allow 50 game machines, instead of the three-machine maximum; to allow two game machines per 100 square feet of area where a maximum of one is allowed; to allow no space around the machines where three feet of side clearance and eight feet of front clearance is required; to not provide an attendant for the machines; and to allow no off-street bicycle stalls instead of 24.

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/barcade_comes_to_town/

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

https://youtu.be/VNYNMM0hXXY

Looks like a loving post-bender proof of life video

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
holy poo poo that video owns

haha i like him listing the people

its like a suicide note

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
oh my god this needs to get a billion views

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Jesus Christ that guy lost >$150 million of other peoples' money

That's one big Cuban sandwich

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOgG3aLqwIU

Oh, going back to happier days.

FWIW oil hit a low in January 2016 at 28, so the guy basically hit the nail on the head. Good for him.

But nobody is lucky forever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Cspam just bought this for 100buxx lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KrnvM-Bwec

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sir, this is the bad with money thread, not the great with money thread.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

You can have Tom Arnold say anything for $100?

Helllllo Secret Santa gift.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I think Tom is $50, the other half goes to the kid.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh man, is this that platform where you can get random celebrities to read clips of stuff for money? A couple of them got duped into doing some of these that used alt-right codewords, didn't they?

I wonder how cheaply you could make a feature production with D and C list actors, paying them $100 for every couple lines and then editing it all together.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Oh man, is this that platform where you can get random celebrities to read clips of stuff for money? A couple of them got duped into doing some of these that used alt-right codewords, didn't they?

I wonder how cheaply you could make a feature production with D and C list actors, paying them $100 for every couple lines and then editing it all together.

To the self promoting kickstarter slash awful kickstarter thread!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

2nd take: that's basically how they funded NIc cage for Mandy

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Don't know why the video cuts off early; the whole thing is worth watching.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

link to this Cspam thread?

nm found it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BigDave posted:

You can have Tom Arnold say anything for $100?

Helllllo Secret Santa gift.

Or

100 things from Nacho Cheddar

https://www.cameo.com/nachocheddar

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
I’d pay lowtax to say random BWM thread poo poo. I feel like he’s missing out on valuable neck-saving money here

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

howdoesishotweb posted:

I’d pay lowtax to say random BWM thread poo poo. I feel like he’s missing out on valuable neck-saving money here
You already paid lowtax to say random BWM thread poo poo

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Dramatic readings of the most awesome/awful posts is what I want.

Hell, Lowtax, would you do dramatic readings of my union's equivalent of forums drama?? XD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
didn't someone do kuenbuu (sp?) dramatic reading?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

You already paid lowtax to say random BWM thread poo poo

$30 for 16 years of shitposting. GWM

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

So does oil!

This is from like 3 pages ago, but the response is awesome.

quote:

Sending you thoughts :*
gently caress you rat.

hahaha, im seriously laughing so hard here

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cockblocktopus posted:

Don't know why the video cuts off early; the whole thing is worth watching.

Hahaha holy poo poo

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Schiavona posted:

https://youtu.be/VNYNMM0hXXY

Looks like a loving post-bender proof of life video

Jesus this is incredibly grim regardless of the circumstances

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

holy poo poo that video owns

haha i like him listing the people

its like a suicide note

i legit expected him to stick a gun in his mouth until i remembered it was youtube.

Anthony Rapp
Mar 29, 2004
Blame it on Cain, don't blame it on me.
Grimey Drawer
Saw this dude today and thought of you guys

Anthony Rapp fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 5, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How much money do you think a person who got vanity crypto license plates has lost on crypto

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

brugroffil posted:

How much money do you think a person who got vanity crypto license plates has lost on crypto
Well they're driving a Dodge, so you do the math.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
CarEquity.gif but it’s tumbling down the crypto price chart.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hoodwinker posted:

Well they're driving a Dodge, so you do the math.

I'm guessing they put their life savings into bitcoin when the price was $19k. I'm sure the price will reach the moon any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

taking money out of your 401k to buy a boat!

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1070433674502524928