Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm looking strongly at Poe + ??? builds for this format. Poe + Ello + that stress-based A-Wing dude (l'luo or something).

Have you thought about Poe, Ello and Temmin Wexley? Points are a bit tight if you put a torp on Poe, but you would be so drat slippery. When it comes to EPTs I am really hard pressed to think of one that is worth putting on T-70s. Heroic is garbage for anything with more than two dice and even that is questionable.

For fun, I am going to have to fly Ello with Black One, torps and advanced slam a few times.

Raged fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Was looking at some of the Force abilities ... the one that says you can look at an opponent's ship dial. Is there anything saying that they can't change their mind and move the dial to something else after you look at it? Or go back and forth between looking at it and changing it for days?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Cobbsprite posted:

Was looking at some of the Force abilities ... the one that says you can look at an opponent's ship dial. Is there anything saying that they can't change their mind and move the dial to something else after you look at it? Or go back and forth between looking at it and changing it for days?

Well, it's cheating to change your dial after you've entered the activation system phase, so there's that.

Edit:

Starting point for my Poe list ideas:

Poe Dameron (68)
Crack Shot (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)
Hardpoint: Torpedo (0)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Ello Asty (56)
Crack Shot (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

L'ulo L'ampar (38)
Crack Shot (1)
Heroic (1)

Total: 188

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Or alternately:

Poe Dameron (68)
Crack Shot (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

L'ulo L'ampar (38)
Crack Shot (1)
Heroic (1)
Homing Missiles (3)
Primed Thrusters (8)

Tallissan Lintra (35)
Crack Shot (1)
Heroic (1)
Homing Missiles (3)
Primed Thrusters (8)

Total: 181

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

The second one has a ton of points left over, and I'm sure I'll use some of them at some point, but I don't know what I want to do with them yet. The first one I'm more than happy with 12 points left over, and might go higher, depends on how my locals go with bidding. Our group was one of the ones driving the deep bids (the swap to Crack Shot from Predator on Soontir for PAX was a last second call) so I fully expect to see someone with Kylo, Quickdraw, and like a 30 point bid sometime soon, just to see if it works.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 4, 2018

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I can see the point of a limited format last edition since bloat and power creep got pretty nuts. But what's the point of it now?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

Heroic is garbage for anything with more than two dice and even that is questionable.
For 1 point it's very good. If Resistance get a cheaper filler ship along the lines of a Z-95 then Chewie becomes an absolute beast. Defensively with the Finn blank is great on the Falcon, and with Rose, if you're ever defending with 2 dice, and you roll blank-focus, you can spend the focus, add Finn blank then re-roll the two blanks. It adds a good bit of tankyness. Attacking as well, you can roll blank-blank-hit, spend the hit for a lock for a second attack, add Finn and reroll the three dice. It's definitely not garbage for a lousy point. It'll trigger more reliably than Marksmenship [sic] lol

Raged posted:

For fun, I am going to have to fly Ello with Black One, torps and advanced slam a few times.
Do it with any T-70 and Pattern Analyser.

Edit: when I said Nien Numb had an awesome ability and was waiting for a good upgrade, I didn't realise that Pattern Analyser was coming back. With Pattern Analyser (and I'm liking Daredevil too), he's gonna be good.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 4, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Have you thought about Poe, Ello and Temmin Wexley? Points are a bit tight if you put a torp on Poe, but you would be so drat slippery. When it comes to EPTs I am really hard pressed to think of one that is worth putting on T-70s. Heroic is garbage for anything with more than two dice and even that is questionable.

I never really liked flying Wexley in 1e. I always felt his pilot skill/initiative was too low to best make use of his ability. I'm not sure that's changed at i4 in 2e.

Heroic on T65s is primarily a defensive mod. Which helps them a lot in the early game before they can start arc dodging. And it's not questionable at all for 2 dice. It massively smooths out the curve.

Cobbsprite posted:

The "look at" stuff all happens in the Device phase, which is after dials are set but before anyone moves. Those effects are best used on ships that can reposition but don't move last; they can avoid firing arcs or block. It's also good on low-initiative turrets to get the arc in the right direction.

hoiyes posted:

Edit: when I said Nien Numb had an awesome ability and was waiting for a good upgrade, I didn't realise that Pattern Analyser was coming back. With Pattern Analyser (and I'm liking Daredevil too), he's gonna be good.

Yeah, especially because it doesn't MOVE the action step like it did in 1e. It grants a new action before you get the stress. Which you then discard (as long as someone's at range 1 in arc to trigger his ability). So you get your regular Perform Action step, too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

So I can see the point of a limited format last edition since bloat and power creep got pretty nuts. But what's the point of it now?

Primarily, the point of the Hyperspace format is so the new factions can compete with the existing ones.

The Extended format isn't going away, though. There are still Extended-format events. As well as all sorts of other formats. More formats is good!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just get nightmare flashbacks to when I played MTG and all the different formats in that game.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Floppychop posted:

I just get nightmare flashbacks to when I played MTG and all the different formats in that game.

The only things that are extended format are the main System Open tournaments. The Hyperspace qualifiers that run alongside them will be Hyperspace format (go figure), so will regionals. I assume store level stuff will be whatever. But most of the big events are hyperspace.

As for why? You can't balance ~80 ships against each other spread through 7 factions. It just won't work, especially with 3 factions having the lion's share of the ships, there will be things that are NPE/unfair/broken or whatever you want to call it. We can see it currently with the Boba builds, a bunch of imperial stuff, Palob, etc. We'll obviously never know what even more degenerate crap got caught by playertesters, but with a huge pool there's always gonna be something totally insane. I don't think they can manage to fix that many in any sort of form.

With fewer ships it becomes much easier to fix specific issues with individual ships or upgrades. On top of the whole it's better for new players, it will probably *increase* list diversity, by nuking the completely broken stuff. If you remove those, a lot more ships and lists become viable. The floor and ceiling in 2E are a lot closer than before, and kicking the legs from under the worst things will probably loosen things up.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Is anything Hyperspace legal that you can only get in a conversion kit or is it accessible to new players only buying 2.0 product?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Is anything Hyperspace legal that you can only get in a conversion kit or is it accessible to new players only buying 2.0 product?

Currently you've got the Striker which will be in the wave....2 or 3 releases, I forget. The falcon which I would think would rerelease soon but we haven't heard anything yet. And Scum has only the 2.0 stuff because it has 4 ships already thanks to the Lando falcon and escape craft combo, and they're adding the Mining TIE which is about to release also.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

Currently you've got the Striker which will be in the wave....2 or 3 releases, I forget. The falcon which I would think would rerelease soon but we haven't heard anything yet. And Scum has only the 2.0 stuff because it has 4 ships already thanks to the Lando falcon and escape craft combo, and they're adding the Mining TIE which is about to release also.

Plus the Hyperspace stuff starts in March, which is approximately when Wave 3 is expected to release, too.

So when Hyperspace Cups (equivalent of Regionals) start up, we'll have seven factions available with approximately four ships each. Gonna be crazy I think.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

Plus the Hyperspace stuff starts in March, which is approximately when Wave 3 is expected to release, too.

So when Hyperspace Cups (equivalent of Regionals) start up, we'll have seven factions available with approximately four ships each. Gonna be crazy I think.

Can't wait to see what Anakin costs. 90ish? 100? Who knows what I6 with double repositioning either before or after moving is worth.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Are there any rumors around about when the Clone Wars stuff is dropping? The kid in me wants a Jedi Starfighter.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Floppychop posted:

Are there any rumors around about when the Clone Wars stuff is dropping? The kid in me wants a Jedi Starfighter.

Current best guess is late Feb/early March.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
For some reason I did not realise heroic worked on green dice too. Time to check myself in a nursing home.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

Primarily, the point of the Hyperspace format is so the new factions can compete with the existing ones.

The Extended format isn't going away, though. There are still Extended-format events. As well as all sorts of other formats. More formats is good!

I keep seeing this justification, but I'm really not sure how the new factions aren't already balanced. Balance isn't about quantity, its about quality, and Resistance has Poe 'focus target locked Protons' Dameron, and FO has QD and Kylo.

They're fine in Extended unless I radically miss my guess.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Raged posted:

For some reason I did not realise heroic worked on green dice too. Time to check myself in a nursing home.

Yeah it's great. I'm finding it hard to justify anything else on the T-70's and L'ulo.

Regardless of the actual math behind it, I've been blown out by double blanks on Xwings enough times to really value a do-over like Heroic

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Kata-Haro posted:

Yeah it's great. I'm finding it hard to justify anything else on the T-70's and L'ulo.

Regardless of the actual math behind it, I've been blown out by double blanks on Xwings enough times to really value a do-over like Heroic

For 1 point it seems like a no-brainer on one of the RZ-2 As slots, and I think you have to have a very good plan to not take it on a T-70.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thespaceinvader posted:

I keep seeing this justification, but I'm really not sure how the new factions aren't already balanced. Balance isn't about quantity, its about quality, and Resistance has Poe 'focus target locked Protons' Dameron, and FO has QD and Kylo.

They're fine in Extended unless I radically miss my guess.

Three whole ships, wooooooooooooo!

Seriously though, they have a few good ships, but that's a far cry from being as strong as Imps or Scum. Look at Rebels. They have Luke who's one of the strongest single ships in the game. But one ship can't carry that hard in 2e. There's about one build for each that is top tier on paper, but we saw 4-5 different Imp builds at PAX get into the cut.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Raged posted:

Someone on reddit did a long post with lots of maths. I'm not apt to double check the arguments, but the summary is that it's pretty good, especially for 1 point.
https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/a2p1bb/the_odds_of_heroism_a_more_comprehensive/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Gate posted:

Three whole ships, wooooooooooooo!

Seriously though, they have a few good ships, but that's a far cry from being as strong as Imps or Scum. Look at Rebels. They have Luke who's one of the strongest single ships in the game. But one ship can't carry that hard in 2e. There's about one build for each that is top tier on paper, but we saw 4-5 different Imp builds at PAX get into the cut.

Mst factions in extended have maybe half a dozen good pilots. Not ships, PILOTS.

Having that many good *ships* is going to make them pretty balanced.

And yes, one viable balanced list is enough. That's all most factions get in Hyperspace anyway. More than you get, if you try to fly Imperial.

But also, this isn't an argument against the assertiont hat balance is about quality, not quantity. it doesn't *matter* if your faction has only 4 ships and another has 20, if they're the best 4 ships in the game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

thespaceinvader posted:

Mst factions in extended have maybe half a dozen good pilots. Not ships, PILOTS.

Having that many good *ships* is going to make them pretty balanced.

And yes, one viable balanced list is enough. That's all most factions get in Hyperspace anyway. More than you get, if you try to fly Imperial.

But also, this isn't an argument against the assertiont hat balance is about quality, not quantity. it doesn't *matter* if your faction has only 4 ships and another has 20, if they're the best 4 ships in the game.

Example, 1e scum from wave 8 through the end

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Anyone else find XWing podcasts insufferable? I have tried to listen to a few and god drat it's just a self fellating imner circle of other podcasters.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean this is just plain factually incorrect. There's 7 Rebel ships that in lists that went 5-1 at PAX, and that's just one event. There's far more diversity in the other two factions. But the majority of ships are still non-viable, and the floor vs the ceiling for those ships is vast in Extended.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

Anyone else find XWing podcasts insufferable? I have tried to listen to a few and god drat it's just a self fellating imner circle of other podcasters.

podcasts.txt right there bro

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

lazerus06 posted:

I haven't listened to any in 2 years and I'm not about to start again. The one I listened to spent the first hour with all 4-6 hosts talking about what they flew that week, and updates on their personal life. Then if it was an episode about a new ship, there was half an hour of in depth math information to determine if a ship was good, then a short discussion/reading of the new pilots an abilities. If there wasn't a new ship, they just bullshitted about stuff for 2 hours.

Long rambling podcasts are the worst.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't listened to any in 2 years and I'm not about to start again. The one I listened to spent the first hour with all 4-6 hosts talking about what they flew that week, and updates on their personal life. Then if it was an episode about a new ship, there was half an hour of in depth math information to determine if a ship was good, then a short discussion/reading of the new pilots an abilities. If there wasn't a new ship, they just bullshitted about stuff for 2 hours.

Long rambling podcasts are the worst.

haha that sounds like scum and villainy. im pretty sure they still do that which is why their viewers are in the double digits.

Yeah they're all pretty garbage. Its either dumb circle jerk poo poo or like literally just reading cards and trying to pander to the glue eaters. Not a single one has any real meaningful insight into lists or whatever and none of the hosts are even good at the game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really, really miss Trinity Squad Gaming's weekly uploads. They had the best games with the best commentary.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Nothing like listening to a bunch of bland white guys who hang their personalities on plastic space ships talk for 2+ hours.
The worst thing about X-Wing podcasts are their constant need to name-check or self-congratulate while using the worst x-wing "lingo" ever.
NATTIES!
S-TIER LISTS!
BLOW ME!

These podcasts make me actively dislike the game, which is why I avoid them like they are covered in Taco Bell shits.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Give Imperial Propaganda Radio a try. Maybe its because I know all the guys, but I enjoy it. Probably helps just about everyone on it is 35 plus and all of them are consistent top cut players. Also, it is always around 1 hour in length.

It also includes Ahkter Khan who took Dash/Roark to the top 4 of Aussie nats

http://www.imperialpropaganda.com.au/

Raged fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 5, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Haven't listened to most Xwing podcasts in a while, but when I did Radio TCX were probably the most straightforward "Here's the information or results or news etc." without the personality and rambling. Short, sharp and to the point. Half hour episodes.

I only really listen to Mynock because I don't see a need to listen more than once podcast for the news, and there results rundowns are thorough enough, easy to skip too and they have interesting enough guests. I just kinda tune out Dee and Farmer most of the time so it's a pity Dallas isn't really involved much anymore.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Now if there was a podcast that dedicated one episode each to a type of ship then one to each pilot, in the style of Expounded Universe, I'd be all over that. Discuss the ship/pilot info within the game including tactics and builds for 30 minutes, then 30 minutes making fun of everything on Wookieepedia about that ship/pilot.

I'm looking at you, Jef.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Now if there was a podcast that dedicated one episode each to a type of ship then one to each pilot, in the style of Expounded Universe, I'd be all over that. Discuss the ship/pilot info within the game including tactics and builds for 30 minutes, then 30 minutes making fun of everything on Wookieepedia about that ship/pilot.

I'm looking at you, Jef.

This was literally the idea/style I was thinking of would be worth while.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm looking at you, Jef.

Agreed, I would listen to that.
I don't want:
- 30 minutes of talking about what move a podcaster did in turn 6 of game 3 of a tournament
-Referencing other podcasters as is if they are celebrities
-The use of the word and/or phrases but not limited to "natties!" "REKT!!!!" "It's fine!" "Well Paul Heaver would do....."
-Vaping
-Talking about X-Wing as if it was really important

lazerus06 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 5, 2018

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Alright, so the brother and I have decided to give this a shot over the holidays. We played Armada a bit several years ago, but never really tried X-Wing.

I've already bought:
1x Starter box
1x T-65 X-Wing
1x BTL-A4 Y-Wing
2x Tie/In Fighter
1x Tie Advanced
Extra Dice
Some plastic movement markers from Litko

My question: Would you guys reccomend anything else for us to have an engaging experience with a handful of different options around squad builds and strategies? Is the Scum and Villainy faction signifigantly different from the other two that it would make sense to pick that up and see if we enjoy that faction more than the Rebels/Imnperials? Would grabbing the two conversion kits and some specific 1.0 models make for a signifigantly more enjoyable experience?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm looking at you, Jef.

But I'm really bad at this game. I mean, I have a ton of it and I play it in my backyard sometimes, but I'm not a tournament player. Plus my shows are like... all digression.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The current release 2e scum ships are really fun. Fang fighter is a really slick interceptor that goes fast and hits hard. Boba Fett in the Firespray is a beast. Lando falcon with escape craft is a really cool model and a fun presence on the board. Mining TIE looks good too.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Speaking of podcasts, on the latest Mynock, Travis hinted at a new scum Fenn build that was tankier and potentially real good, as I am the biggest Fenn cheerleader and even I have abandoned him, I'm wondering what it could be? Unless it's as simple as Coordinate and Debris Gambit, I'm not really seeing it...

The other possibility is that as playtesters they're privy to potential new slots on the Fang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm looking at you, Jef.
I would love a podcast that went through something like that format. Give a minute or two of background on the ship, appearances, silly background stuff. How the game rules reflect the fluff (or don't). Then talk about each pilot card's role and an example squad or two built around it, useful upgrades, etc. Then, maaaaybe, end with a "meta call" on the ship's utility.

Essentially I want to listen to a podcast that actively works to make each available pilot interesting, and makes me want to try new things I haven't tried before. The podcast-celeb culture and endless regurgitation of the same "top tier pilots" gets very boring very fast.